Philosophy Unbound: Schopenhauer vs. Steiner (Round One)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Philosophy Unbound: Schopenhauer vs. Steiner (Round One)

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I think I'm gonna cop-out and go with the lesser known Schroomenbäcker :mrgreen:
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:07 pm
AshvinP wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:30 pm So I am still on the BLUE team, and will add this consideration for others to contemplate - it dawned on me while listening to BK that Steiner's remark, "Schopenhauer wants to avoid making 'abstract thinking' the bearer of Unity in the world", is exactly right, because it is essentially a means of attacking Kant's emphasis on spiritual faith - as long as the noumenon is kept behind an impenetrable veil, one must allow for spiritual faith as the bearer of life meaning. And, if knowledge of the noumenon only comes through Thinking, then it is inescapable that a Spirit (in Western theistic sense) exists which is shared by all, now reaffirming spiritual reality based on knowledge (as Hegel did). The only way around that is to find the noumenon in the "blind" Will, which then undermines spiritual faith and spiritual knowledge in one fell swoop - a rather ingenious move, even if an extremely destructive one for Western civilization.
There is no "impenetrable veil" because the "Will" (in Schopenhauer-BK terms, even though I don't like this term because it is misleading), or Existence-Awareness in Advaitic terms, by nature IS Awareness and it is therefore directly Aware of itself, it always directly consciously experiences itself. So it is not based on faith, but on a direct experience. Now, it is called a "mystical" experience simply because most people are not aware of it (including most Western thinkers and philosophers), but realizing such experience has always been the goal and the key aspect of the Eastern spiritual traditions. This experience experientially reveals the fundamental unity of Reality in its existential and experiential aspects. There is no way to describe such experience in words or ideas, it has to be experienced directly in order to be realized. And it is exactly this Awareness-Beingness which is the bearer of unity. However, the thinking and its ideal content is also a bearer of unity simultaneously with and in addition to the unity in Existence-Awareness. We are not opposing one unity to the other and not excluding one of them, but uniting them together.
This firmly puts you in RED team. We will have time for more argument in next round. Right now giving everyone a chance to catch up and comment of they like. Thanks.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:20 pm I think I'm gonna cop-out and go with the lesser known Schroomenbäcker :mrgreen:
No shame in bowing out but we need your reasoning for any other names. I actually think Steiner talks about Schermacher (sp?) In that same passage lol, if thats who you are referring to.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:32 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:20 pm I think I'm gonna cop-out and go with the lesser known Schroomenbäcker :mrgreen:
No shame in bowing out but we need your reasoning for any other names. I actually think Steiner talks about Schermacher (sp?) In that same passage lol, if thats who you are referring to.
The 'oral' teaching of Schroomenbäcker can only be received in the presence of that wondrous mind. You may want to make a trip to Denver. ;)
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Seems like I'm the only one from the "Red team" who is not ignoring the Steiner's "Metamorphic Monstrosity" :)
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Shu, in Egyptian mythos, is god of the air and supporter of the sky, and the sky is blue, and that rhymes with Shu, so to blue I remain poetically true ... and apparently better dead than red :lol:
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:08 pm Seems like I'm the only one from the "Red team" who is not ignoring the Steiner's "Metamorphic Monstrosity" :)
And you definitely get props for that!

To be fair, it's not the easiest philosophical topic to understand. I still have faith a few others join in once they get a chance. And you always have BK with you in Spirit.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

In the following two comments by Steiner -- "As far as the will is concerned, it can be regarded only as the expression of the activity of our finite personality” and “Against these arguments it must be said that the activities of our body come to our consciousness only through percepts of the self, and that, as such, they are in no way superior to other percepts” we see that Steiner is applying false presuppositions to Schopenhauer's terms, thereby unintentionally creating a strawman of Schopenhauer that certainly can be easily burned to the ground.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:50 pm In the following two comments by Steiner -- "As far as the will is concerned, it can be regarded only as the expression of the activity of our finite personality” and “Against these arguments it must be said that the activities of our body come to our consciousness only through percepts of the self, and that, as such, they are in no way superior to other percepts” we see that Steiner is applying false presuppositions to Schopenhauer's terms, thereby unintentionally creating a strawman of Schopenhauer that certainly can be easily burned to the ground.
There you go, Eugene, you picked up finding "the BK hater" blanks against all odds!
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."