Such a thing as "Re-Associative Identity Disorder?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
JstCruzn86

Such a thing as "Re-Associative Identity Disorder?

Post by JstCruzn86 »

A quick google search doesn't show much, but I had this (possibly dumb) idea after looking at a lot of Bernardo's presentations online. (Which I've thoroughly enjoyed over the past several weeks). Anyway, since we know dissociative identity disorder exists, I'm surprised there isn't any cases of it where things kind of go in reverse... Instead of splitting into alters, well, a disorder where there can be episodes of merging.

Thinking more about this I wonder if this is pretty much what is roughly experienced in the near death or psychedelic experiences, but I'm wondering why there isn't cases of people with episodes of association in an otherwise normal life (absent of drugs or near death experiences, etc) I also wonder why we at least don't see glimpses of "association" in normal functioning life. Then again, maybe that's what unexplainable phenomenon's are.

Hrmm, now I'm curious about dissociated dissociation.

Okay I better stop here. :D
-Chris
Simon Adams

Re: Such a thing as "Re-Associative Identity Disorder?

Post by Simon Adams »

When it’s a disorder it’s probably Schizophrenia, which is difficult to explain from a physicalist perspective. When it’s not a disorder, it’s probably what is generally called spirituality.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
JstCruzn86

Post by JstCruzn86 »

When it’s not a disorder, it’s probably what is generally called spirituality.
That's so obvious that I didn't even consider it. I think you've got it right there. :)
Last edited by JstCruzn86 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JstCruzn86 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 am
When it’s not a disorder, it’s probably what is generally called spirituality.
That's so obvious that I didn't even consider it. I think you've got it right there. :)
It may also be helpful to note that each person is, by most recent and rigorous scientific understanding, at least a union of two polar opposite modes of attending to the world - right brain and left brain. RB is verified to be the direct integrating (re-associative) mode while LB prefers to forever deal in fragmented abstraction. RB is the spiritual mode while LB is the secular or merely dogmatic "religious" mode.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."