Relational Quantum Mechanics and BK Idealism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
SanteriSatama

Re: Relational Quantum Mechanics and BK Idealism

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:43 am Well this conversation between AP and SS as reached the point where the xiphoid points being made seem to have less and less to do with metaphysics, or the topic, and more and more to do with pointing towards cultural dissonance, diverging paths, and duelling personality types and styles of expression, bent on taking affront at every turn. Please, surely there's a way to disagree without all the twitterish umbrage.
I'll do my best to avoid personalizing, and appreciate the reminder. That said, I don't agree that discussion of geometry and mathematics is unrelated to metaphysics, on the contrary. To begin with, the idea of 'number' is purely metaphysical. Continuity, on the other hand, is not dependent from metaphysical postulation, but appears more like irreducible empirical phenomenon.

I feel it's very important to make sense of what kind of idealist metaphysics and ontology is implicated by the mathematical theory of formalism and physicalism. So that we don't remain trapped and fooled by it.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:27 pmI'll do my best to avoid personalizing, and appreciate the reminder. That said, I don't agree that discussion of geometry and mathematics is unrelated to metaphysics, on the contrary. To begin with, the idea of 'number' is purely metaphysical. Continuity, on the other hand, is not dependent from metaphysical postulation, but appears more like irreducible empirical phenomenon.

I feel it's very important to make sense of what kind of idealist metaphysics and ontology is implicated by the mathematical theory of formalism and physicalism. So that we don't remain trapped and fooled by it.
I didn't mean to imply that the math and geometry aren't metaphysically relevant, although sometimes it can seem somewhat fetishized by the math geeks (not that I consider you one of those) ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:10 pm I didn't mean to imply that the math and geometry aren't metaphysically relevant, although sometimes it can seem somewhat fetishized by the math geeks (not that I consider you one of those) ;)
I would not take offence if called math geek. :)

But there is, perhaps, a method to the insanity. The theory and language of math with which we measure and decohere "quantum potential" does not seem at all irrelevant to how the so called "classical world" decoheres. How we paint the walls of our Plato's Cave, how we construct our Matrix... the pragmatical ethics of "Relational Nagarjuna Mechanics"(RNM) start from and keep returning to foundational thinking of mathematics, the game of game making.

In RNM the relational nodes or vertices of concepts are empty of inherent and substantial existence, but that does not mean that it does not matter how connect meanings into mathematical expressions, interpretations, definitions, concepts and languages. On the contrary, the concatenation of meaningful nodes becomes the whole art of foundational mathematics, and a relatively recent high form of the art is searching for ways to express most by saying the least analytical distinctions possible, when creating a foundational language. Lambda Calculus and Combinatory Logic are demonstrations of that art, but don't worry, I don't understand them any better than you do... I'm just trying to learn and gain some comprehension at my slow pace.

Basically only thing I can tell so far is that Stephen Wolfram, who has dedicated his life to study of the computable universe hypothesis (which is in that sense related also to Loop Quantum Gravity), is very big on Combinatory Logic, on which the math tool software program 'Mathematica' is based. I can't afford the program, and I have plenty of philosophical disagreements with Wolfram, but I do respect and admire his work.

If we take the hypothesis of computable universe in any way seriously, I don't think the smartest move would be to delegate and trust the job to a single demiourge, but to make the computation as communicable, comprehensible and available as we can, as decentralized as possible. It's bit of challenge, i know, and e.g. this is not at all easy to digest, at least for me:

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/202 ... mputation/
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:15 pmLambda Calculus and Combinatory Logic are demonstrations of that art, but don't worry, I don't understand them any better than you do...

Just when I thought I would get an arithmetic reprieve, you pull out the calculus crop from the cart and I begin to cringe ... What was Dandelion's safe word again? :o
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:30 pm
SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:15 pmLambda Calculus and Combinatory Logic are demonstrations of that art, but don't worry, I don't understand them any better than you do...

Just when I thought I would get an arithmetic reprieve, you pull out the calculus crop from the cart and I begin to cringe ... What was Dandelion's safe word again? :o
It's my hope that mereology of Bergson-durations could become more comprehensible than Combinatory Logic... but that doesn't mean there is not lot to learn in the latter. :)

But first things first, we can't start to learn math as long as the authoritarian academic condition to learn math remains the Emperor's New Clothes of point reductionism, and we are told that learning to think math starts from accepting absurdity...
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:40 pmIt's my hope that mereology of Bergson-durations could become more comprehensible than Combinatory Logic... but that doesn't mean there is not lot to learn in the latter. :)

But first things first, we can't start to learn math as long as the authoritarian academic condition to learn math remains the Emperor's New Clothes of point reductionism, and we are told that learning to think math starts from accepting absurdity...
Well thanks for loosening the knots a little bit :mrgreen:
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:27 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:43 am Well this conversation between AP and SS as reached the point where the xiphoid points being made seem to have less and less to do with metaphysics, or the topic, and more and more to do with pointing towards cultural dissonance, diverging paths, and duelling personality types and styles of expression, bent on taking affront at every turn. Please, surely there's a way to disagree without all the twitterish umbrage.
I'll do my best to avoid personalizing, and appreciate the reminder. That said, I don't agree that discussion of geometry and mathematics is unrelated to metaphysics, on the contrary. To begin with, the idea of 'number' is purely metaphysical. Continuity, on the other hand, is not dependent from metaphysical postulation, but appears more like irreducible empirical phenomenon.

Sorry about that. I apologize, SS, if I was too dismissive of your points about points and you took any personal offense from my posts, which I admit were a bit too harsh. I have been listening to a lot of classical musical lately and it's hard to stay upset with anyone after dwelling in those sweet melodies and deepening harmonies :) From my perspective, we have tried to discuss this many times before and made little progress, but I can see how that's not evident to everyone, especially those who may be new to the forum. So I hope we can recalibrate and attempt to get into the essence of these things.

Interestingly enough, I think the latest aesthetics essay installment deals with this topic directly, since musical relations and numbers, dare I say formal, rational, integer, arithmetic sort of relations, as you know, do not necessarily point to anything outside of their own quantitative-qualitative relations. They are very unique in that regard, differing from words and images, and I do believe they speak to metaphysics and spirituality very directly if we discern how they are actually functioning in any given context. It's a really long essay so I don't expect anyone to have read it yet, but here is relevant excerpt:
Ashvin wrote:Artwork must possess living interiority to combat modernity's nihilism - desires, motivations, emotions, thoughts, and, above all, meaning. With respect to the art of music, specifically, the philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer must be briefly addressed. Schopenhauer was notoriously stingy in what he allowed past Kant's impenetrable curtain hiding the puppeteer pulling the strings of the perceptible world. All perceptions of the noumenal world, according to Schopenhauer, were mental images created within the human being in response to the underlying Will which surges within her. These mental images were a sort of Fata Morgana - a mirage that is dreamed up within each person to represent the imperceptible Will. Only two experiences could bypass these mental mirages and deal with the Will directly - (1) deep meditative experience and (2) the experience of music. Why did Schopenhauer say only music could bypass the Kantian divide rather than other arts such as poetry, sculpting, or painting?

These other art forms work from the mental images - the Fata Morganas - that we find in the realm of immediate sense experience or memory and combine into ideal images for the artwork. When we are confronted by the finished product of these arts, we can clearly identify how they have translated such images into forms which distort, distill, diminish or deepen their meanings. Music, however, does not rely on the human mental images in the same way. Rather, music, with her rhythm, notes, melodies (Melos) and harmonies - are direct expressions of the universal Will which bypass the mental images needed for all other artwork. In this way, Schopenhauer came to intuitively understand the numinous 'superiority' of the musical aesthetic. Yet, as is all too common for philosophers of the modern age, he did not reflect on that intuitive knowing so as to deepen its own meaning.

In such reflection, he would have come to realize that it is precisely when intuitive thought permeates the universal Will that we are brought to the shores of the noumenal aesthetic. That is when we come to know that the musical relations do not refer to anything outside of their own relations. Without this simple realization, the deep connection between the music we hear in waking consciousness and the profound sense of curiosity, wonder, courage, and homecoming which it stirs up within our souls is left at the lowest possible resolution - the connection can be said to exist, but we are left with no clue as to why or how. That all changes when the intuitive ideal element is allowed to take its rightful place in our conscious awareness and enrich the marriage of the questioning Soul with the answering Spirit. That thoughtful process of enrichment was the primary focus of a later German idealist who had much to say about and contribute to the aesthetics of Spirit and Soul.

Now I won't know the details of the mathematics behind music like you do, but clearly there is a very intimate relationship and it seems to me that its actually the "formal" mathematical system which allows us to see that most clearly. I realize that sounds like nails on blackboard to your ears, but at least it should show that I am not simply dismissing your arguments to be rude or because I have no idea what they mean. I genuinely disagree with them in the way that you are presenting them and employing them in these fundamentally spiritual topics. The numbers are very important. I have to say, some discussion of this is already in draft Part II of the essay, so I don't want to get into too many details of what I mean, but if you want to continue discussing, I can try to circumambulate the general topic.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

DandelionSoul wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:32 am Just to chime in real quick since I was brought up, I don't necessarily think Rovelli's sense of dependent arising and emptiness is flawed. I do think the mirror-house analogy is flawed, but I think he was clumsily trying to make a point I'm pretty sure I agree with in substance. If I were to tweak it, I would fasten lights onto the mirrors, or make them luminous mirrors: without the other mirrors to reflect the light, there is no light (since light only exists in interaction), but without the lights, there is no reflection, so while there might still be mirrors strictly speaking (since we're using an analogy of pre-existing physical objects arranged just so), there might as well not be. All analogies are always imperfect, but I think that captures my view, and fills out what I think is his view, a little better.
Alright so I think we have two different issues here:

1) What is Rovelli trying to say when using this analogy? - this is not a very important issue because it matters a lot more what we think about it. At least until Rovelli joins the forum and starts commenting. That being said, I am curious what aspect of his quotes (or some other writing not yet quoted here) points to the "Light" in the house of mirrors analogy?

2) What is really going on with the mirrors, lights, lights fastened onto the mirrors, or illuminating from within? - this is an immensely important issue. Obviously the simple analogy with keep things at the lowest possible resolution, but maybe that's sufficient for now. I have no problem considering each human spirit-soul to be a reflecting mirror in this analogy. But then we have to account for the light - is it a property intrinsic to reflective awareness-thinking? In my view, the answer for that is "yes" but the implication of that answer goes well beyond the simple observation that we exist in relation with each other and are capable of reflection. What do you think?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:33 pm I'll do my best to avoid personalizing, and appreciate the reminder. That said, I don't agree that discussion of geometry and mathematics is unrelated to metaphysics, on the contrary. To begin with, the idea of 'number' is purely metaphysical. Continuity, on the other hand, is not dependent from metaphysical postulation, but appears more like irreducible empirical phenomenon.

Sorry about that. I apologize, SS, if I was too dismissive of your points about points and you took any personal offense from my posts, which I admit were a bit too harsh. I have been listening to a lot of classical musical lately and it's hard to stay upset with anyone after dwelling in those sweet melodies and deepening harmonies :) From my perspective, we have tried to discuss this many times before and made little progress, but I can see how that's not evident to everyone, especially those who may be new to the forum. So I hope we can recalibrate and attempt to get into the essence of these things.

Interestingly enough, I think the latest aesthetics essay installment deals with this topic directly, since musical relations and numbers, dare I say formal, rational, integer, arithmetic sort of relations, as you know, do not necessarily point to anything outside of their own quantitative-qualitative relations. They are very unique in that regard, differing from words and images, and I do believe they speak to metaphysics and spirituality very directly if we discern how they are actually functioning in any given context. It's a really long essay so I don't expect anyone to have read it yet, but here is relevant excerpt:
Ashvin wrote:Artwork must possess living interiority to combat modernity's nihilism - desires, motivations, emotions, thoughts, and, above all, meaning. With respect to the art of music, specifically, the philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer must be briefly addressed. Schopenhauer was notoriously stingy in what he allowed past Kant's impenetrable curtain hiding the puppeteer pulling the strings of the perceptible world. All perceptions of the noumenal world, according to Schopenhauer, were mental images created within the human being in response to the underlying Will which surges within her. These mental images were a sort of Fata Morgana - a mirage that is dreamed up within each person to represent the imperceptible Will. Only two experiences could bypass these mental mirages and deal with the Will directly - (1) deep meditative experience and (2) the experience of music. Why did Schopenhauer say only music could bypass the Kantian divide rather than other arts such as poetry, sculpting, or painting?

These other art forms work from the mental images - the Fata Morganas - that we find in the realm of immediate sense experience or memory and combine into ideal images for the artwork. When we are confronted by the finished product of these arts, we can clearly identify how they have translated such images into forms which distort, distill, diminish or deepen their meanings. Music, however, does not rely on the human mental images in the same way. Rather, music, with her rhythm, notes, melodies (Melos) and harmonies - are direct expressions of the universal Will which bypass the mental images needed for all other artwork. In this way, Schopenhauer came to intuitively understand the numinous 'superiority' of the musical aesthetic. Yet, as is all too common for philosophers of the modern age, he did not reflect on that intuitive knowing so as to deepen its own meaning.

In such reflection, he would have come to realize that it is precisely when intuitive thought permeates the universal Will that we are brought to the shores of the noumenal aesthetic. That is when we come to know that the musical relations do not refer to anything outside of their own relations. Without this simple realization, the deep connection between the music we hear in waking consciousness and the profound sense of curiosity, wonder, courage, and homecoming which it stirs up within our souls is left at the lowest possible resolution - the connection can be said to exist, but we are left with no clue as to why or how. That all changes when the intuitive ideal element is allowed to take its rightful place in our conscious awareness and enrich the marriage of the questioning Soul with the answering Spirit. That thoughtful process of enrichment was the primary focus of a later German idealist who had much to say about and contribute to the aesthetics of Spirit and Soul.

Now I won't know the details of the mathematics behind music like you do, but clearly there is a very intimate relationship and it seems to me that its actually the "formal" mathematical system which allows us to see that most clearly. I realize that sounds like nails on blackboard to your ears, but at least it should show that I am not simply dismissing your arguments to be rude or because I have no idea what they mean. I genuinely disagree with them in the way that you are presenting them and employing them in these fundamentally spiritual topics. The numbers are very important. I have to say, some discussion of this is already in draft Part II of the essay, so I don't want to get into too many details of what I mean, but if you want to continue discussing, I can try to circumambulate the general topic.
Apology accepted.

I don't know much about mathematics behind music - best part of playing is to with the flow and merge with the feel. But I'd like to get deeper e.g. in Euler's ideas of harmonics, perhaps some day:

https://www.uni-miskolc.hu/~matsefi/Oct ... le1_25.pdf

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:33 pm I'll do my best to avoid personalizing, and appreciate the reminder. That said, I don't agree that discussion of geometry and mathematics is unrelated to metaphysics, on the contrary. To begin with, the idea of 'number' is purely metaphysical. Continuity, on the other hand, is not dependent from metaphysical postulation, but appears more like irreducible empirical phenomenon.

Apology accepted.

I don't know much about mathematics behind music - best part of playing is to with the flow and merge with the feel. But I'd like to get deeper e.g. in Euler's ideas of harmonics, perhaps some day:
https://www.uni-miskolc.hu/~matsefi/Oct ... le1_25.pdf
Nice, I may actually have something to teach you about music-math for a change :) The paper you linked may prove useful too - "The Well-Tempered Clavier" song by Bach mentioned in that paper is also the first one in latest essay installment. Here is the clip with another relevant excerpt:

Ashvin wrote:It is no overstatement to say that this reductionism is the most dangerous temptation we face today and not a single person alive has "conquered" it or become completely immune to its influence. Everything written here should be taken as the most basic conceptual groundwork which will assist our understanding when we truly venture into the higher worlds of imagination, inspiration, and intuition. It is that latter quest which will provide us either the denial or the assurance of what we are now exploring mostly by way of abstract intellect. Keeping that always in mind, let us proceed to listen to a musical clip which showcases these seven tones and see if we can perceive some intimation of the differing soul-qualities listed above. Again, what is important now is not identifying any exact correspondences, but simply observing that there are, in fact, distinct qualities involved in the differing tones and their relations with each other.

Ashvin wrote:Steiner also perceived what Emerson truly meant by the "mute music" and what Pythagoras also meant when he said much earlier, "there is music in the spacing of the spheres." The modern age has turned the world upside-down and cleaved it in two, so that every essential process is perceived in the opposite orientation of its spiritual meaning. We then assume the "musical element lies in the notes", when in reality, "the notes are not the music... just as the human body is not the soul". Instead, "the music lies between the notes... we only need the notes in order that something may lie between them". That is, the notes are only the outer expression of music's essential interior meaning, and the real music "is what [we] do not hear!". Musicians know this wisdom intuitively and they refer to it in terms of "intervals" and "tonality", which express the relations between different pitches of tones and, more essentially, what happens in-between those tone-pitches.
Tone-decay and irrational intervallic equidistance are problematic insofar as they bring a deadening element into physically sounding music. But one might well ask, “Who cares?” For art is not about external physical conditions; rather, it transforms matter into an appearance of archetypal beauty. A good pianist produces a beautiful semblance of legato, which satisfies the listener. And the benefits of equal temperament far outweigh the imperfections that listening, guided by musical intentionality, is perfectly able to adjust and correct. Artistry and actively qualitative listening erase the problems posed by the physical instrumental parameters. Indeed.

But how does artistic transformation or transcendence actually happen? Transformation of the given is not effected through ‘blind faith’ in the power of music to transcend all external limitations, but through consciousness... The darkness is not absolute: upon waking we remember nothing of form, content or activity belonging to the unconscious periods of sleep; but we remember that intervals of (seeming) nothingness did transpire between the content-filled dreams. We remember that we were in Lethe, in a condition of forgetfulness; and because this memory is contentless, it is a negative memory. We remember having forgotten.

- Danaë Killian-O’Callaghan, Unveiling the Melodic Interval: A phenomenology of the musical element in human consciousness
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."