Analytic Idealism Subreddit (/r/analyticidealism)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
pandaproducts

Analytic Idealism Subreddit (/r/analyticidealism)

Post by pandaproducts »

I made a subreddit for discussing idealism in a modern, analytic context. Our emphasis is on how idealism is superior in terms of post-Enlightenment logical values in comparison to physicalism. In essence, we're attempting to help seize the rational high ground from materialist academia.

Please check it out, and maybe contribute! :)
Ben Iscatus

Re: Analytic Idealism Subreddit (/r/analyticidealism)

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Thank you, pandaproducts!
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

pandaproducts wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:13 am I made a subreddit for discussing idealism in a modern, analytic context. Our emphasis is on how idealism is superior in terms of post-Enlightenment logical values in comparison to physicalism. In essence, we're attempting to help seize the rational high ground from materialist academia.

Although I posted summaries of my essays there (with links back to this forum for full essay), I am kind of confused as to why the subreddit was necessary apart from this forum? In my experience, people generally don't like to participate in two different online forums, let alone two forums about the same metaphysical topic. Just saying.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
pandaproducts

Post by pandaproducts »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:26 am
pandaproducts wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:13 am I made a subreddit for discussing idealism in a modern, analytic context. Our emphasis is on how idealism is superior in terms of post-Enlightenment logical values in comparison to physicalism. In essence, we're attempting to help seize the rational high ground from materialist academia.

Although I posted summaries of my essays there (with links back to this forum for full essay), I am kind of confused as to why the subreddit was necessary apart from this forum? In my experience, people generally don't like to participate in two different online forums, let alone two forums about the same metaphysical topic. Just saying.
I made it for people who prefer to use Reddit. I prefer to use Reddit myself, to be honest. Furthermore, I think if it gets reasonably sized we could attract new people to analytic idealism since Reddit is one of the biggest sites on the planet.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

pandaproducts wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:10 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:26 am

I made it for people who prefer to use Reddit. I prefer to use Reddit myself, to be honest. Furthermore, I think if it gets reasonably sized we could attract new people to analytic idealism since Reddit is one of the biggest sites on the planet.
Yeah, I get what you are saying. I don't prefer to use Reddit, but that's only because I write essays and there are a lot more features for customizing those on this forum. If not for that, then I may stop posting here and only post there. I don't know... it seems like it could be a real issue down the road, but since no mods have weighed in, I guess it's not that big of a deal.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:01 pm but since no mods have weighed in, I guess it's not that big of a deal.
For the record, PP asked for approval to post a link to his reddit forum, which I ok'd, since I feel the more exposure to BK's ideas, and counter-materialism metaphysics in general, the better, and some may well prefer the reddit format. Indeed, there could be far more activity there (in which case, good luck to the mods) resulting in less here. But of the 200 plus members here, the relatively low percentage of regular posters doesn't ever seem to vary much, and so I doubt it will make any dramatic difference in the level of participation here, which has always been more focused on the quality of the commentary, rather than the quantity.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.