(Un)consciousness of breathing?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: (Un)consciousness of breathing?

Post by AshvinP »

stratos wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:57 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:01 pm
stratos wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:49 am So i ask you again, how do you solve the hard problem of consciousness (in order to know how you know things in order to know things).
By recognizing that the one thing I experience, without a doubt, is conscious activity and specifically ideating activity (Thinking). Since that activity is fundamental, there is no hard problem of consciousness.
Firstly, only conscious activity is without a doubt. Thinking is not. Thinking, as interpreted to be a sign of the activity of a supposed thinker behind the experience, of an ego that produces or manipulates thoughts, is always doubtful. The Cartesian "i think therefore i am" is not undeniable, as it presupposes something that it is not there: the entity of an ego that does the thinking. The actuality of experience and the undeniable statement therefore is "thinking, therefore thinking". Whenever you are lost in thoughts, you can always doubt. The certainty lies in the phenomenal character of experience, not in it's interpretation. And relaying on thinking will forever keep this fact of experience out of your reach. That's why meditation is not about thinking. But ok.

Secondly, and most important, why rocks or robots don't have consciousness and humans do? This is the hard problem, and i didn't see it addressing it in any way.
1 & 2 - It is only Thinking which is without a doubt. You do not experience the meaning of any of the word-concepts written above without Thinking. There is no experience without meaning derived from Thinking. I am not going to give you a hard time about this misconception, because many mystical thinkers, some on this forum, also fail to notice that simple fact of experience and then come to deny the "ego" or "thinker" as you are. Even BK does that to a certain extent. I am now convinced that it is precisely because this fact is so simple and obvious that so many people fail to take notice of it. Thinking is so automatic today it has become like breathing or blood circulating - we simply don't notice it happening. Owen Barfield says, "the obvious is the most difficult thing of all to point out to someone who has genuinely lost sight of it."

We have genuinely lost sight of this fact in the modern age because of thinkers like Descartes and Kant (not only them and not their individual personalities, but the forces living within their ideas). The former divided mind from matter and therefore made "mind" a strictly personal affair. The ancients would have said, "we think, therefore we are", or "the Spirit thinks, therefore it is". By "ancients", I mean nearly everyone prior to the 15th century. Kant then assumed Descartes' dualism and isolation of mind when deriving his divide between the noumenal and the phenomenal. I am assuming you know what these philosophical terms are referring to since you used them. The question, "why do rocks or robots not have consciousness?" is entirely a product of those unexamined assumptions.

You are assuming a non-existent perspective on the world, where you stand apart from the rocks, the robots, and yourself, and then judge which ones have consciousness and which ones do not. That is the non-existent perspective all of modern science (and much of philosophy) has used to derive its conclusions. We must distinguish between scientific data/results and conclusions here - the former is valid in so far as the observations and experiments were carried out carefully, the latter come from analyzing the results with all of those flawed assumptions. Science so far has not answered this question, because it does not access the inner life of anything other than humans to run experiments. Everything we know from modern science is from the human perspective, including what we presume to know about the experience-cognition of non-humans.

It is undeniable that you and I have qualitative experience and that we only know those qualities by Thinking. To exist is to be known and to be known is to be perceived-experienced. We must impose all sorts of assumptions and invent all sorts of hypothetical scenarios and non-existent perspectives to abstractly convince ourselves there is no substantial reality to that experience-knowing. It is the greatest magic trick of all time that we have blinded ourselves to that which is most immanently and ceaselessly present to our existence in every moment we are aware of that existence. Yet I doubt anyone is truly convinced beyond the level of abstract intellect... at least not yet, because we still go about in society acting as if everyone has substantial inner life behind their outer appearance. But that could change if we keep heading in the mechanistic direction we are heading in.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:26 pm 1 & 2 - It is only Thinking which is without a doubt. You do not experience the meaning of any of the word-concepts
I'd love to cast a little doubt on the absolute "only". Does love doubt love? No. Does love love without feeling meaning? No.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

stratos wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:36 am It is understandable that you find Chopra appealing.
You realize that I'm just teasing your belief-system conditioning in friendly jest?

https://odysee.com/@DeepakChopra:b/psyc ... eing-and:c
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:26 pm 1 & 2 - It is only Thinking which is without a doubt. You do not experience the meaning of any of the word-concepts
I'd love to cast a little doubt on the absolute "only". Does love doubt love? No. Does love love without feeling meaning? No.
Love without thought will absolutely and always doubt love. We do not feel meanings, we know the meaning of feelings. Feeling is a personal bridge to transpersonal meaning, and vice versa.

Steiner wrote:Love, pity, and patriotism are driving forces for actions which cannot be analysed away into cold concepts of the intellect. It is said that here the heart, the mood of the soul, hold sway. No doubt. But the heart and the mood of the soul do not create the motives. They presuppose them and let them enter. Pity enters my heart when the mental picture of a person who arouses pity appears in my consciousness. The way to the heart is through the head. Love is no exception. Whenever it is not merely the expression of bare sexual instinct, it depends on the mental picture we form of the loved one. And the more idealistic these mental pictures are, just so much the more blessed is our love. Here too, thought is the father of feeling. It is said that love makes us blind to the failings of the loved one. But this can be expressed the other way round, namely, that it is just for the good qualities that love opens the eyes. Many pass by these good qualities without noticing them. One, however, perceives them, and just because he does, love awakens in his soul. What else has he done but made a mental picture of what hundreds have failed to see?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:17 pm Love without thought will absolutely and always doubt love. We do not feel meanings, we know the meaning of feelings. Feeling is a personal bridge to transpersonal meaning, and vice versa.
Person = mask, role playing identity politics. Person-mask does not actually feel, it's caricature. Your thinking does not feel, hence it can't know feeling, how it feels to be a genuine feeling human being, what it means to be human being.

Skillfull thinking starts from epistomological humility, the claim that thinking knows the meaning of feeling is pure hubris, as long as it is a mental block of alienation that pushes feeling in the Shadow.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:41 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:17 pm Love without thought will absolutely and always doubt love. We do not feel meanings, we know the meaning of feelings. Feeling is a personal bridge to transpersonal meaning, and vice versa.
Person = mask, role playing identity politics. Person-mask does not actually feel, it's caricature. Your thinking does not feel, hence it can't know feeling, how it feels to be a genuine feeling human being, what it means to be human being.

Skillfull thinking starts from epistomological humility, the claim that thinking knows the meaning of feeling is pure hubris, as long as it is a mental block of alienation that pushes feeling in the Shadow.
Here we go again - because I use the word "person" you seize on its relation to "persona" as mask to completely avoid the actual meaning of what I am writing. Call it whatever you want - all experience has Universal and Particular polar qualities, and that is what I mean when I write about transpersonal and personal. If you want to deny the polarity of experience, then we need to sort that out, because it is critical for any idealist philosophical perspective to understand. But I suspect you don't want to deny it, because it is plainly obvious. No more word games - I have now made clear what I mean when using those terms.

Humility means recognizing that there is a Reality which does not conform itself to your personal-particular wishes and feelings. You feel that thinking-knowing should not be the sole activity which brings meaning to experience, so you deny it and come up with all sorts of psycho-linguistic-mathematical word games to rationalize your feelings. Nowhere in your post is a direct response to Steiner's quote and the meaning of what he wrote. Until you can learn how to know what another person-particular is actually writing, instead of what you feel they are writing, which is almost always wrong, there is no point in further discussion.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:06 pm Here we go again - because I use the word "person" you seize on its relation to "persona" as mask to completely avoid the actual meaning of what I am writing.
Can you say "I'm not a person, I'm a human being", and mean that? It's a simple empirical test. Have you ever felt belonging to a human community etc. community of life on the level where community really exists, on the emotional level?
Call it whatever you want - all experience has Universal and Particular polar qualities, and that is what I mean when I write about transpersonal and personal. If you want to deny the polarity of experience, then we need to sort that out, because it is critical for any idealist philosophical perspective to understand.
Polarities are part of experience, but experiencing does not reduce to polarities. Safeword Bergson: "qualitative multitude".
Humility means recognizing that there is a Reality which does not conform itself to your personal-particular wishes and feelings.
I'm not wearing a mask.
You feel that thinking-knowing should not be the sole activity which brings meaning to experience, so you deny it and come up with all sorts of psycho-linguistic-mathematical word games to rationalize your feelings.
It's not a should, it's an empirical fact. Have you ever been in love? Word games to rationalize suffocation of feelings and inherent meaning of feeling, isn't that what you are doing now? On other occations and moods you allow to feel poetry and music, meaning beyond mere logosentric thinking, that I like.
Nowhere in your post is a direct response to Steiner's quote and the meaning of what he wrote. Until you can learn how to know what another person-particular is actually writing, instead of what you feel they are writing, which is almost always wrong, there is no point in further discussion.
I'm not talking with Steiner. I'm talking to the fellow human being hidden behind the person-mask. I'm speaking to your heart, Ashvin. Have courage!
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:49 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:06 pm Here we go again - because I use the word "person" you seize on its relation to "persona" as mask to completely avoid the actual meaning of what I am writing.
Can you say "I'm not a person, I'm a human being", and mean that? It's a simple empirical test. Have you ever felt belonging to a human community etc. community of life on the level where community really exists, on the emotional level?
Call it whatever you want - all experience has Universal and Particular polar qualities, and that is what I mean when I write about transpersonal and personal. If you want to deny the polarity of experience, then we need to sort that out, because it is critical for any idealist philosophical perspective to understand.
Polarities are part of experience, but experiencing does not reduce to polarities. Safeword Bergson: "qualitative multitude".
Humility means recognizing that there is a Reality which does not conform itself to your personal-particular wishes and feelings.
I'm not wearing a mask.
You feel that thinking-knowing should not be the sole activity which brings meaning to experience, so you deny it and come up with all sorts of psycho-linguistic-mathematical word games to rationalize your feelings.
It's not a should, it's an empirical fact. Have you ever been in love? Word games to rationalize suffocation of feelings and inherent meaning of feeling, isn't that what you are doing now? On other occations and moods you allow to feel poetry and music, meaning beyond mere logosentric thinking, that I like.
Nowhere in your post is a direct response to Steiner's quote and the meaning of what he wrote. Until you can learn how to know what another person-particular is actually writing, instead of what you feel they are writing, which is almost always wrong, there is no point in further discussion.
I'm not talking with Steiner. I'm talking to the fellow human being hidden behind the person-mask. I'm speaking to your heart, Ashvin. Have courage!
If I wanted to write to what people "like" here, to get more views, comments, engagement, popularity, who knows maybe even some money, I would not be writing the essays that I am writing. I would be writing about "equality", "inclusivity", anti-Western spirituality, and a lot of other pet topics which make you feel good. But I am writing what I consider to be the objective truth about an objectively verifiable Reality. You reject even the concept of such truth. That's fine, but the least you can do is respond to me as a human being who is capable of meaning what he is writing, not what your feeling of his "mask" is writing. And that is seriously my last comment to you on this forum until you show yourself capable of at least that small courtesy, which everyone but you seems capable of extending.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 pm If I wanted to write to what people "like" here, to get more views, comments, engagement, popularity, who knows maybe even some money, I would not be writing the essays that I am writing. I would be writing about "equality", "inclusivity", anti-Western spirituality, and a lot of other pet topics which make you feel good. But I am writing what I consider to be the objective truth about an objectively verifiable Reality. You reject even the concept of such truth. That's fine, but the least you can do is respond to me as a human being who is capable of meaning what he is writing, not what your feeling of his "mask" is writing. And that is seriously my last comment to you on this forum until you show yourself capable of at least that small courtesy, which everyone but you seems capable of extending.
Hello, fellow human being! <3

I have tremendous respect for your spiritual search. It's because of that respect I engage in these discussions.

Yes, I do both feel and think that feeling can mean also without thinking, at least does so in my case. Therefore I reject your claim of universal objectivism of what is your current opinion. As I am and happen, I can't fit under universality of such "objective truth", which I feel and think that I falsify as I am and happen.

Cf. analogous discussion between materialist and a human being:
Materialist: The objective truth of eliminative materialism, which is the only truth, is that there are only philosophical zombies.
Human being: By experiencing, willing, feeling and thinking, I falsify your opinion which claims to be universal objective truth.
Materialist: You are just hallucinating, because of axioms of objective scientism, because of xyz arguments from authority, etc. etc. yada yada yada...

I hope that I'm not mistaken in my trust that you can fully comprehend and respect this counterargument against claims of universal objective truth, and respect the fact that not all sentient beings necessarily fit inside a theoretical model based on thinking only?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:22 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 pm If I wanted to write to what people "like" here, to get more views, comments, engagement, popularity, who knows maybe even some money, I would not be writing the essays that I am writing. I would be writing about "equality", "inclusivity", anti-Western spirituality, and a lot of other pet topics which make you feel good. But I am writing what I consider to be the objective truth about an objectively verifiable Reality. You reject even the concept of such truth. That's fine, but the least you can do is respond to me as a human being who is capable of meaning what he is writing, not what your feeling of his "mask" is writing. And that is seriously my last comment to you on this forum until you show yourself capable of at least that small courtesy, which everyone but you seems capable of extending.
Hello, fellow human being! <3

I have tremendous respect for your spiritual search. It's because of that respect I engage in these discussions.

Yes, I do both feel and think that feeling can mean also without thinking, at least does so in my case. Therefore I reject your claim of universal objectivism of what is your current opinion. As I am and happen, I can't fit under universality of such "objective truth", which I feel and think that I falsify as I am and happen.

Alright, well at least we are getting into the substance of our disagreement. I also respect your clearly vast knowledge of philosophy, mythology, philology, math, etc. I just want us to be clear that I am not writing these things to get under your skin, to oppress you, etc., and I am not unconsciously employing any of this language of "individual", "person", "only", "universal", "polarity", etc. Especially in my essays, I use the language that is best to convey the very specific meanings I am trying to convey. A main part of that meaning is precisely to avoid reductionism. Perhaps that seems counter-intuitive to most people - that "only" could be anti-reductionist - but that is my position.

In the case of "Thinking" and "meaning", if we are to hold that "meaning" is inherent to W-F-T, or F-T, then I say we are reducing it to pretty much any activity a human being can engage in. Then there would be no such thing as a "meaning crisis". Eventually, there would be no such thing as "questions", "hope", "love", "curiosity", "future". We would wake up every morning knowing everything there is to know, possessing all meaning there is to possess, with respect to the Cosmos. We would never need lifetimes or reincarnations. I do not consider that hyperbole - in my view, it is the precise reason we have a "meaning crisis" in the modern age. People have stopped asking questions because they believe they have already reached the peak of Cosmic knowledge and Wisdom. There is nowhere left to go from that belief.

SS wrote:Cf. analogous discussion between materialist and a human being:
Materialist: The objective truth of eliminative materialism, which is the only truth, is that there are only philosophical zombies.
Human being: By experiencing, willing, feeling and thinking, I falsify your opinion which claims to be universal objective truth.
Materialist: You are just hallucinating, because of axioms of objective scientism, because of xyz arguments from authority, etc. etc. yada yada yada...

I hope that I'm not mistaken in my trust that you can fully comprehend and respect this counterargument against claims of universal objective truth, and respect the fact that not all sentient beings necessarily fit inside a theoretical model based on thinking only?
I comprehend it, but it's not a good analogy or counter-argument. Unless you are the one human being in the world who experiences meaning without Thinking, or who can have an experience without Thinking, then the analogy does not hold. Thinking, with a capital "T", encompasses intellect, reason, imagination, inspiration, and intuition. I am going to save that sentence in notepad now because I end up writing it in almost every post on this forum (not just with you). That is not my arbitrary expansive definition of Thinking, it is the one used by Coleridge, Steiner, Barfield, Heidegger (IMO), Jung, and Bergson. Also a bunch of other people who are less well-known. Again, I hope you can see I am not writing these things for a lack of comprehension of your argument... instead, I fundamentally disagree with your argument after careful consideration. I am not asking you to accept that on faith, and I am happy to discuss our actual arguments for our positions further, but I am not happy to trade accusations that one person is not understanding the other person due to any sort of psychological or cultural bias.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."