perception of other alters

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
MaartenVanDaanen

perception of other alters

Post by MaartenVanDaanen »

Hi,

I've only watched the "Analytical Idealism" course. I have the following question:

I understand that according to analytical idealism:
There is a spatially unbound, universal phenomenal consciousness
An alter is a dissociated phenomenal consciousness
An alter perceives the world around it by impingements of the phenomenal contents that surrounds it

I assume that the alter is also spatially unbound since it is part of the universal consciousness.
I assume that spatially unbound means that we cannot speak about consciousness in terms of space.

Do I understand correctly ?
Are these assumptions valid ?

Based on these assumptions: How can we speak of surroundings of an alter ?

Please help me out by explaining or pointing me to relevant literature.
Starbuck

Re: perception of other alters

Post by Starbuck »

Hi Maarten, I think you've got it. 'Space' and 'surrounding' are just terms of analogy pointing to purely mental processes (as there is nothing else).

When you dream, the world around appears to surround the avatar, but on awakening the avatar and its environment were just projections of the waker's singular mind. Another analogy.

BK says in his last interview, our language and speech is inherently space-temporal. And concepts are comprised of language so cannot in themselves reveal the truth. This is transcendent knowledge, facilitated by the mythology of our lives.
AshvinP

Re: perception of other alters

Post by AshvinP »

MaartenVanDaanen wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:14 pm Hi,

I've only watched the "Analytical Idealism" course. I have the following question:

I understand that according to analytical idealism:
There is a spatially unbound, universal phenomenal consciousness
An alter is a dissociated phenomenal consciousness
An alter perceives the world around it by impingements of the phenomenal contents that surrounds it

I assume that the alter is also spatially unbound since it is part of the universal consciousness.
I assume that spatially unbound means that we cannot speak about consciousness in terms of space.

Do I understand correctly ?
Are these assumptions valid ?

Based on these assumptions: How can we speak of surroundings of an alter ?

Please help me out by explaining or pointing me to relevant literature.
No, those assumptions are not valid. There is no alter "surrounded" by a world of ideal content which "impinges" on it in the act of perception-cognition. Sometimes BK will also use the word "segment" to describe the alter, but a recent Twitter response clarified that is not actually what he means (posted below). All of the 'alters' exist within the same field of consciousness. When two human 'alters' perceive-cognize an idea, the idea is not traveling from one 'alter' to another. Rather both 'alters' are participating in the same idea that is shared by all. Eventually, we must re-cognize that there are no essential 'alters', only differentiated perspectives within One unified Mind.

"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."