Does the Anthropic Principle Explain Anything?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Squidgers

Re: Does the Anthropic Principle Explain Anything?

Post by Squidgers »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:16 am
Squidgers wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:31 am
AshvinP wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:26 pm

When did I say Langan believes his words are the ontological reality? I do believe there are people who think abstractions of particles, fields, or strings are the ontological reality, those people we call "materialists". Not the actual words "fields" or "strings", but the mathematical concepts they are pointing to in any given abstract theory of physics. I don't see how Langan's approach is any different. Like I said, I have no problem with someone using these things as a heuristic device to become a "psychoactive in ones spiritual development", but that is not my sense of what Langan is doing. He is trying to set up his CMTU as the conclusive framework for grasping ontological reality. I could be wrong about that, but consider this quote:

https://www.cosmosandhistory.org/index. ... e/694/1157
Do you know if Langan is explicit on what his language of reality is (as opposed to what it does) or how it interfaces with known mathematical sciences? (It must have some proto-mathematical structure to account for mathematical structures in spacetime)
No, I have no idea. You should check his papers out at the website and see if you can discern that. The quoted language seems indicative to me of his overall approach. For instance, "[CMTU] is thus capable of autonomously validating certain religious claims of truth and consistency... ". What does that phrase mean?
I've read a couple. he seems to make big claims about CMTU being able to explain certain paradoxes or spiritual ideas, but he does it in a matter of fact or offhand way rather than offering an explanation.
AshvinP

Re: Does the Anthropic Principle Explain Anything?

Post by AshvinP »

Squidgers wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:40 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:16 am
Squidgers wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:31 am

Do you know if Langan is explicit on what his language of reality is (as opposed to what it does) or how it interfaces with known mathematical sciences? (It must have some proto-mathematical structure to account for mathematical structures in spacetime)
No, I have no idea. You should check his papers out at the website and see if you can discern that. The quoted language seems indicative to me of his overall approach. For instance, "[CMTU] is thus capable of autonomously validating certain religious claims of truth and consistency... ". What does that phrase mean?
I've read a couple. he seems to make big claims about CMTU being able to explain certain paradoxes or spiritual ideas, but he does it in a matter of fact or offhand way rather than offering an explanation.
Yeah I got that impression as well. Maybe he clarifies more in his interviews, but you would think that sort of thing would be in the papers. Which is why I generally think his approach is counter-productive.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."