Is Rovelli 'Dragooning the Human Spirit'?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Is Rovelli 'Dragooning the Human Spirit'?

Post by AshvinP »

I moved this here since it seems more of a general discussion rather than formal philosophy, and also it's a very important topic and I presume more people will see it here.

Jim Cross wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:59 am
Brian Wachter wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:40 pm In "Helgoland," Carlo Rovelli steers his magnificent Relational Quantum Mechanics straight into the void. He follows the threads of "interactions," his former ontological primitive, into the null space created in materialism when the material is removed and all that is left are reflections of objects that no longer exist.

The funny thing is this is extremely parsimonious--Occam's Razor is used to cut off the very hand of philosophy itself: "There is no ultimate or mysterious essence to understand--that is the true essence of our being."

So mind at large explicitly doesn't exist for Rovelli.

I would be mad too, if M@L were my ontological primitive.
Brian,

My reading of Helgoland is that Rovelli rejects the idea that there is an ontological primitive. In his view, existence consists solely of relationships and there is no absolute substance underlying them. Matter and mind, both, are relative, neither absolute.

He has a chapter on Nagarjuna that goes through the doctrine of emptiness.

Of course, BK starts his whole approach with the assumption of an ontological primitive. Rejecting that assumption undercuts the entire framework.

And BK is entirely justified in his criticism of Rovelli when the latter rejects an OP. It's fascinating to see how Owen Barfield predicted exactly this Rovelli approach to philosophizing, which is to naively follow the lead of physicalist science in denying the essential and then pretend as if he is coming up with something novel and insightful, as Brian also captured it above. Here is Barfield in his preface to the second edition of Poetic Diction in the 1950s (emphasis mine):

Barfield wrote:If I were writing Poetic Diction today, therefore, it would be the ideas of Hume and his more recent disciples, rather than those of Locke and Kant, that I should feel impelled to criticize in the Appendices; and not the less so because, at the moment of writing, the fashionable method is to analyse language itself which is the heart of my matter.

I do not think it too sweeping to say that the doctrines of logical of linguistic analysis... are no more than an extensive gloss on this principle. It's corollary, that all the propositions of logic are mere tautologies, is the heart of Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus which Bertrand Russell translated into English in 1922; and it is this broom with which it is hoped to sweep away, as meaningless, all statements not related to physically observable or verifiable events, to limit the sphere of man's knowledge to the increasingly tentative findings of physical science, and to dismiss all other affirmations as meaningless. For all propositions except those from which some observation-statement can be deduced are, it is averred, meaningless, either as misuse of language, or as tautologies...

In the days of Locke and Hume it was felt that science, the newcomer, required a foundation in philosophy; but since then the two have changed places. The startling and largely beneficent achievements of science in the practical business of manipulating matter and carting it to and fro have so impressed the mind of the empiricist that he is content to treat its ever-changing assumptions as 'given'. If he is a philosopher, he regards it as his business, not to question the scientific assumptions of the day, but rather to justify the ways of science to man.
It is of course in attempting to describe more precisely the nature of the 'somewhat' that science both parts company with the man in the street and keeps changing its ground. In the nineteenth century the real world was assumed to consist, in the last resort, of things. The things got smaller and smaller molecules, atoms, electrons but they were at least there and if you had a powerful enough microscope you would, it was assumed, see something like a number of billiard-balls, or little solar systems.
Twentieth-century science has abolished the 'thing' altogether; and twentieth-century philosophy (that part of it, at least, which takes no account of imagination) has obediently followed suit. There are no objects, says the voice of Science, there are only bundles of waves or possibly something else; adding that, although it is convenient to think of them, it would be naïve to suppose that the waves or the something else actually exist. There is no 'referent', echoes the philosophy of linguistic analysis deferentially, no substance or underlying reality which is 'meant' by words. There are only descriptions, only the words themselves, though it 'happens to be the case' that men have from the beginning so persistently supposed the contrary that they positively cannot open their mouths with out doing so.
'It is true,' says Professor Ryle, 'and even tautologous that the cobbler cannot feel the shoe pinching me, unless the cobbler is myself, but this is not because he is excluded from a peep-show open only to me, but because it would make no sense to say that he was in my pain, and no sense, therefore, to say that he was noticing the tweak that I was having.' (My italics.) I shall return to this, but must remark in passing that this attempt to dismiss the palpable by writing off as tautologous the language in which it is affirmed is surely one of the strangest that has ever bemused a vigorous mind. By the same device black (though it is perhaps better to avoid saying so, because it 'makes no sense') may be thought of as white; for to object that black is 'not white' is to found on a tautology. The theory is, that what is self-evident may for that very reason be profitably ignored.

We should remember here that natural forms and their relations are also "words" - symbols which point to meaning not contained entirely within themselves. Rovelli is classic example of someone who now thinks experience of essential meaning can be ignored because it is so self-evident. That we may as well call black "white", and white "black", because it is self-evident that what is white is 'not black' and vice versa. We may as well call mind "matter", and "matter" mind in the same way, says Rovelli. Barfield then uses a parable to show exactly what Rovelli-types are doing with their "theory of knowledge" and where it will end up:

Barfield wrote:Of all devices for dragooning the human spirit, the least clumsy is to procure its abortion in the womb of language; and we should recognize, I think, that those and their number is increasing who are driven by an impulse to reduce the specifically human to a mechanical or animal regularity, will continue to be increasingly irritated by the nature of the mother tongue and make it their point of attack.
Once upon a time there was a very large motor-car called the Universe. Although there was nobody who wasn't on board, nobody knew how it worked or how to work it, and in course of time two very different problems occupied the attention of two different groups of passengers. The first group became interested in invisibles like internal combustion; but the second group said the thing to do was to push and pull levers and find out by trial and error what happened. The words 'internal combustion', they said, were obviously meaningless, because nobody ever pushed or pulled either of these things. For a time both groups agreed that knowledge of how it worked and knowledge of how to work it were closely connected with one another, but in the end the second group began to maintain that the first kind of knowledge was an illusion based on a misunderstanding of language. Pushing, pulling and seeing what happens, they said, are not a means to knowledge; they are knowledge. It was an odd sort of car, because, after the second group had with conspicuous and gratifying success tried pushing and pulling all the big levers, they began on some of the smaller ones, and the car was so constructed that nearly all of these, whatever other effect they had, acted as accelerators. Meanwhile the first group held their breath and began to think that their kind of knowledge might perhaps come in useful after the smash.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Jim Cross

Re: Is Rovelli 'Dragooning the Human Spirit'?

Post by Jim Cross »

Rovelli's general philosophical approach goes back to Nagarjuna and it is neither materialist or idealist. It isn't a completely modern and scientific approach. Rovelli has arrived at it through modern QM but the doctrine of emptiness is an ancient philosophical view that complements it.

What's more the OP is an assumption. It isn't proven by BK. It is more parsimonious to eliminate it as an assumption.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Jim Cross wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm Rovelli's general philosophical approach goes back to Nagarjuna and it is neither materialist or idealist. It isn't a completely modern and scientific approach. Rovelli has arrived at it through modern QM but the doctrine of emptiness is an ancient philosophical view that complements it.

What's more the OP is an assumption. It isn't proven by BK. It is more parsimonious to eliminate it as an assumption.
I disagree. Just because Rovello says his approach aligns with the wisdom of ancient mystics does not make it true. There is obviously a relationship there, as mysticism also stops short of deeper reality beyond the "emptiness", but I think Rovelli approach is further influenced by flawed modern age assumptions. But that's really a separate issue from what I am trying to highlight - if his approach is actually that of Nagarjuna, then I am criticizing them both. Rovelli is following the lead of modern science and failing to realize that science has nowhere left to go with essence only because it makes false assumptions i.e. naïve realism. The anti-essential view is naïve realism which assumes the relational dynamics mean there is no underlying referent of the relations. They take the apparent lack of such referent, which they do not seek bc it never occurs to them to ask the proper questions, as naively real.

The OP is a rational deduction in BK framework from the fact that qualia of experience does not occur without Ground of experience. I will admit his is not the most thorough approach, and I much rather prefer phenomenology which results in the same conclusion, but it is in no way a pure assumption and therefore not "parsimonious" to eliminate it.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm Rovelli's general philosophical approach goes back to Nagarjuna and it is neither materialist or idealist. It isn't a completely modern and scientific approach. Rovelli has arrived at it through modern QM but the doctrine of emptiness is an ancient philosophical view that complements it.

I disagree. Just because Rovello says his approach aligns with the wisdom of ancient mystics does not make it true. There is obviously a relationship there, as mysticism also stops short of deeper reality beyond the "emptiness", but I think Rovelli approach is further influenced by flawed modern age assumptions. But that's really a separate issue from what I am trying to highlight - if his approach is actually that of Nagarjuna, then I am criticizing them both. Rovelli is following the lead of modern science and failing to realize that science has nowhere left to go with essence only because it makes false assumptions i.e. naïve realism. The anti-essential view is naïve realism which assumes the relational dynamics mean there is no underlying referent of the relations. They take the apparent lack of such referent, which they do not seek bc it never occurs to them to ask the proper questions, as naively real.

The OP is a rational deduction in BK framework from the fact that qualia of experience does not occur without Ground of experience. I will admit his is not the most thorough approach, and I much rather prefer phenomenology which results in the same conclusion, but it is in no way a pure assumption and therefore not "parsimonious" to eliminate it.
Rovelli would say he isn't a philosopher. He's a scientist. He came to see the similarity between his view and Nagarjuna after multiple people asked him if he had read him and he followed up by reading. I would hardly call it "naive realism" if by that you mean the human tendency to believe that we see the world around us objectively. It is exactly the opposite. It is the view that there is no objective view, that all views are relative.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Jim Cross wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:14 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Rovelli would say he isn't a philosopher. He's a scientist. He came to see the similarity between his view and Nagarjuna after multiple people asked him if he had read him and he followed up by reading. I would hardly call it "naive realism" if by that you mean the human tendency to believe that we see the world around us objectively. It is exactly the opposite. It is the view that there is no objective view, that all views are relative.

He is making philosophical conclusions from his science, which has been the bad habit of most scientists in the modern age, and that is what I am criticizing - the philosophical conclusions. We can see how those conclusions track exactly with scientific results in the modern age - when science discovers "particles", the scientists say the particles are real essence of Cosmos. When it discovers particles are actually manifestations of waves and fields, the scientists say those are the real essence. When it discovers the waves, fields, strings, etc. and space-time itself are manifestations of deeper relations, then the scientists have reached the limit of their abstract conceptions, so they say "nothing objective/essential exists". It is naïve realism all the way down - either confusing the abstract symbols, or the limits of the abstract symbols, for Reality itself.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm if his approach is actually that of Nagarjuna, then I am criticizing them both.
Rovelli is not misinterpreting Nagarjuna, so to steelman you should try to criricize both.
What is more "modernism" and abstract rationalism than reductionism in any form? Claim that meaning/qualia reduces to this or that Ground/substance is in BK's terminology reductionism.

Good catch that Nagarjuna's relational process ontology reaches same conclusion with phenomenology, e.g. and especially Merleau-Ponty's animism. To try argue against Nagarjuna's conclusion amounts to arguin against phenomenology.

The main argument is to deny that relations can be meaningful and experience without substance-concept, to deny that process ontology can be meaningful. As BK keeps saying, another name for his substance-concept is 'experiencer'. The argument hence based on subject-object dualism, ie. ego-projection. Denial that relations aka qualitative multitude can be meaningful as such is the definition of (deified) solipsism. Which goes back to cartesian ego, which is a mere linguistic artifact of European language. It is thus obvious that the ontology of substance/subject-reductionism is a mere linguistic artifact.

The Cartesian linguistc argument at the base of rationalist modernism of substance/subject/object -reductionism can be falsified with a simple counter example. We can say in Finnish: 'Koetaan." Speaking 'experiencing' relational, multi-perspectival asubjective, without any subject or object.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:55 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm if his approach is actually that of Nagarjuna, then I am criticizing them both.
Rovelli is not misinterpreting Nagarjuna, so to steelman you should try to criricize both.
What is more "modernism" and abstract rationalism than reductionism in any form? Claim that meaning/qualia reduces to this or that Ground/substance is in BK's terminology reductionism.

Good catch that Nagarjuna's relational process ontology reaches same conclusion with phenomenology, e.g. and especially Merleau-Ponty's animism. To try argue against Nagarjuna's conclusion amounts to arguin against phenomenology.

The main argument is to deny that relations can be meaningful and experience without substance-concept, to deny that process ontology can be meaningful. As BK keeps saying, another name for his substance-concept is 'experiencer'. The argument hence based on subject-object dualism, ie. ego-projection. Denial that relations aka qualitative multitude can be meaningful as such is the definition of (deified) solipsism. Which goes back to cartesian ego, which is a mere linguistic artifact of European language. It is thus obvious that the ontology of substance/subject-reductionism is a mere linguistic artifact.

The Cartesian linguistc argument at the base of rationalist modernism of substance/subject/object -reductionism can be falsified with a simple counter example. We can say in Finnish: 'Koetaan." Speaking 'experiencing' relational, multi-perspectival asubjective, without any subject or object.
Not that it's relevant to Rovelli's abstract reductionist naive realist ontology, but I critique BK and Schopenhauer reductionism as well. They enagage in naive realism of willing activity, and thereby create unintentional dualism of willing activity and meaning. That is the mystical/animist approach. I do not hold to that, but rather to Steiner approach that meaning/qualia is fundamental. It transcends subject-object distinction, which is entirely different from eliminating Ground of S-O distinction. The former takes what is self-evident to intellect and meticulously enriches its meaning, while the latter asks the intellect to deny the reality of what is self-evident and be satisfied with equally abstract and amorphous "solution".

I am wondering if you have a position on the underlying criricism that there is naive realism when relational QM is transposed onto Reality? I will take some blame for putting Rovelli in the title, because what is actually important is the essence of the underlying approach, not any particular manifestation in an individual. We cannot support one flawed approach by referencing the fact that there are other equally flawed approaches, especially when they are all flawed for the same reason. And, as for phenomenology, I prefer to keep that in the 19th-21st centuries, because we simply have access to more phenomenal data now. To deny that is to deny phenomenology of phenomenology.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:56 pm That is the mystical/animist approach.
I don't think you are sharing a communicative meaning for either of those words. Nagarjuna was not a "mystic", as BK said, he was the Gödel of his age who deconstructed rationalistic logicism and logicism case for substance metaphysics with tools of logic. The two basic levels of animism, 1) intersubjective relations and 2) asubjective multiperspectivism are not beyond language, hence not "mystical".
meaning/qualia is fundamental.
Why would such basic phenomenological observation require monistic substance reduction, and how is that supposed to be criticism of Nagarjuna?
I am wondering if you have a position on the underlying criricism that there is naive realism when relational QM is transposed onto Reality?
I have plenty of criticism of details and mathematical foundation of RQM (etc. physicalist theories) and in general reductionism to any form of abstract spatial thinking, which I've stated in previous threads. However, those are not relevant to arguing in favour of substance metaphysics and against relational process ontology. Or relevant only in favour of relational process ontology, on which also scientific method rests, when correctly understood.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:55 pm We can say in Finnish: 'Koetaan." Speaking 'experiencing' relational, multi-perspectival asubjective, without any subject or object.
Which is not conscious??? For if it is, how is this not reducing to an OP of consciousness, while still requiring an explication of the apparency of subjectification/objectification, be that a process of dissociation, or whatever else? What does the bird inter-relating with its reflection behind the windowpane, seemingly perceived to be an objectified other, have to do with linguistic artifacts?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:58 pm
SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:55 pm We can say in Finnish: 'Koetaan." Speaking 'experiencing' relational, multi-perspectival asubjective, without any subject or object.
Which is not conscious??? For if it is, how is this not reducing to an OP of consciousness, while still requiring an explication of the apparency of subjectification/objectification, be that a process of dissociation, or whatever else? What does the bird inter-relating with its reflection behind the windowpane, seemingly perceived to be an objectified other, have to do with linguistic artifacts?
I don't know what "conscious" means here, so the answer is agnostic position. What is "OP" short for? "Original Post" does not seem to make syntactic sense in the context.

Bergson prefers term "psychic states" with qualitative multiplicity, that seems preferable to semantically vague but formally singular "consciousness". And even better I like verbs of Finnish to nouns in either subject or object case. Reduction of a verb to a subject/object noun is just begging the question.