Dissociation

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Toto Gale

Re: Dissociation

Post by Toto Gale »

Thanks for the feedback.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 pm
Toto Gale wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:37 pm Since I am skating on thin ice, I may as well add this.

The movie the Wizard of Oz is much like the story of the Prodigal Son. Dorothy enters a trance state and has all her incredible adventures in Oz, and finally wakes up in her true home.

I wonder if the alter-consciousness is actually the meta-trance?
If transgressing the forum's primary intention and focus I will let you know. For the record, I feel that the Wizard of Oz is one if the most insightful esoteric/metaphysical allegories of the modern era.

Thanks Shu, that is possibly the best thing I've yet seen on this site!
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 pm
Toto Gale wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:37 pm Since I am skating on thin ice, I may as well add this.

The movie the Wizard of Oz is much like the story of the Prodigal Son. Dorothy enters a trance state and has all her incredible adventures in Oz, and finally wakes up in her true home.

I wonder if the alter-consciousness is actually the meta-trance?
If transgressing the forum's primary intention and focus I will let you know. For the record, I feel that the Wizard of Oz is one if the most insightful esoteric/metaphysical allegories of the modern era.
That is very interesting, and makes sense of Toto's recent comments for me, thanks. Lately I have been trying to approach every great creative work as an allegory or parable of spiritual truths, such as those we find in Theosophy and later Anthroposophy, no matter how remote the connection may seem to be. Then we find ourselves discerning archetypal structure and symbolic truth the artists were not even aware of. It's a great exercise for the imagination. It's especially fruitful with music and love songs of one sort or another. I imagine the artist to singing to the Divine and, remembering, longing, celebrating, etc. connection with it.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 pm Isn't the underlined assertion an example of the bolded reductionist approach? I think it may all depend on how we are defining "survival mechanisms". Under idealism, no previous forms of consciousness would be 'lost' to the human soul during the evolutionary process, only obscured by later forms. In a completely ideal reality, those types of hard restrictions from physicalist science simply do not apply anymore.
Actually, you are right, that was an overstatement.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy