John Horgan defends not knowing

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Jim Cross

Re: John Horgan defends not knowing

Post by Jim Cross »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:23 am
Jim Cross wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:40 am
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Sure, I just searched 'how does the brain generate consciousness?' and clearly the results show that scientists do not care.
I'm certain you are familiar with Chalmer's easy problems. Unless you are claiming these articles really are answering your question?
It was actually an attempt at irony, in response to the 'nobody even cares (...) except philosophers' remark. Although you may have a point, if one allows that by virtue of being human, everyone is a 'philosopher' by default, however elementary it may be, scientists being no exception, and that indeed is what inspires them to be scientists. And like everyone else, they are born, indoctrinated and conditioned into the prevailing paradigm and ethos, that too having its roots in philosophy, from which no-one can easily extricate themselves, and just turn off on-demand—with even those who advocate idealism still being yoked to all the inherited trappings. So show me a scientist who is working free of that conditioning, and I'll show you a hound that doesn't sniff the ground.
I would say we need to outgrow these philosophical trappings.

Rovelli might be free from this conditioning. It certainly has little practical import on day to day science. Goethe's bone would be discovered no matter what premise you started from.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Jim Cross wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:45 am I would say we need to outgrow these philosophical trappings.

Rovelli might be free from this conditioning. It certainly has little practical import on day to day science. Goethe's bone would be discovered no matter what premise you started from.
I doubt that he's utterly free of the inherited trappings. In any case, he clearly has not outgrown asking philosophical questions that may eventually supplant those provisional, anachronistic trappings.

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Jim Cross wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:49 am
Eugene,

Sometimes you seem to grasp what I saying then other times not so much.

You don't seem to be able to let go of the metaphysics. Of course, any individual scientist can have any metaphysics they want. Many are materialists. But whatever metaphysics is irrelevant to the product or the method.

Mind and matter are abstractions not reality.
Well, if we both agree that the core natural sciences should be entirely metaphysically agnostic, then I have no others issues to argue about. I can easily let go of metaphysics when dealing with natural sciences while keeping being metaphysical when dealing with philosophy and other aspects of life. But if you would also commit to not being metaphysical in science, you would have to drop the hypothesis of the primacy of matter within the framework of natural sciences, because it is obviously metaphysical.

However, the existence of your personal conscious experience (consisting of a flow of conscious phenomena - perceptions, feelings, thoughts, images etc) is NOT an abstraction, it is the most obvious fact of reality. Everything else is an abstraction.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Well, if we both agree that the core natural sciences should be entirely metaphysically agnostic, then I have no others issues to argue about
I can agree.
But if you would also commit to not being metaphysical in science, you would have to drop the hypothesis of the primacy of matter within the framework of natural sciences, because it is obviously metaphysical.
I have dropped it. If I sometimes seem to say otherwise I am usually just making the argument that a materialist might make contra the idealist argument.
However, the existence of your personal conscious experience (consisting of a flow of conscious phenomena - perceptions, feelings, thoughts, images etc) is NOT an abstraction, it is the most obvious fact of reality. Everything else is an abstraction.
It's an abstraction too.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:59 pm
My take on it is that it would be a better position for the core natural sciences to be entirely metaphysically agnostic and not biased towards any ontology (be it materialism, idealism or any other). In other words, natural sciences should study that nature DOES, not what it IS.
PS: By the way, for such metaphysically agnostic physics, in addition to the relief from the "hard problem", there would also be no QM paradoxes whatsoever. The QM paradoxes only arise in the metaphysically-biased version of QM based on the ontological hypothesis of the existence and ontological primacy of matter.

But Jim, I get your position: you are trying to define a sort of half-way-metaphysically-biased science based on two claims:
- the existence and ontological primacy of matter is claimed and included in the set of the basic scientific axioms
- but the question of the metaphysical status of consciousness is avoided, any relevant claims are not included in the set of the scientific axioms and the entire question is left for philosophers

In such case you would also have to drop the physicalist claim that consciousness is an emergent epiphenomenon of matter. But in addition to that, I still think it's cheating to commit to one metaphysical assumption and to avoid addressing another one which is immediately related to the first one. In other words what such version of materialistic science claims is:
- The hypothesis that matter and only matter is ontologically fundamental is claimed, even though the existence of matter is scientifically unverifiable hypothesis.
- The existence of consciousness is not a hypothesis but an obvious experimental fact, yet such science claims that consciousness is not ontologically fundamental, but at the same time avoids addressing the obvious logical question: "if consciousness exists but not fundamental according to the claims of such science, then how does it arise from matter that is claimed to be fundamental?", leaving such question for philosophers. To me it simply sounds like "we just don't want to answer this question just because we can't, even though it logically derives from our assumptions and the known experimental facts".
Eugene,

You don't seem to be able to let go of the metaphysics. Of course, any individual scientist can have any metaphysics they want. Many are materialists. But whatever metaphysics is irrelevant to the product or the method.

Why do you keep repeating the above when I stated clearly Goethe's method AND product differed from Newtons when studying the color spectrum? That is directly connected to their metaphysical assumptions (some basic metaphysical assumption is unavoidable, as Eugene already pointed out). Even if you don't agree Goethe reached a more valid result, you cannot deny the clear documented facts of modern scientific history. The only reason can be ideological commitment to denying idealism any practical significance.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:04 pm
Eugene I wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:59 pm

PS: By the way, for such metaphysically agnostic physics, in addition to the relief from the "hard problem", there would also be no QM paradoxes whatsoever. The QM paradoxes only arise in the metaphysically-biased version of QM based on the ontological hypothesis of the existence and ontological primacy of matter.

But Jim, I get your position: you are trying to define a sort of half-way-metaphysically-biased science based on two claims:
- the existence and ontological primacy of matter is claimed and included in the set of the basic scientific axioms
- but the question of the metaphysical status of consciousness is avoided, any relevant claims are not included in the set of the scientific axioms and the entire question is left for philosophers

In such case you would also have to drop the physicalist claim that consciousness is an emergent epiphenomenon of matter. But in addition to that, I still think it's cheating to commit to one metaphysical assumption and to avoid addressing another one which is immediately related to the first one. In other words what such version of materialistic science claims is:
- The hypothesis that matter and only matter is ontologically fundamental is claimed, even though the existence of matter is scientifically unverifiable hypothesis.
- The existence of consciousness is not a hypothesis but an obvious experimental fact, yet such science claims that consciousness is not ontologically fundamental, but at the same time avoids addressing the obvious logical question: "if consciousness exists but not fundamental according to the claims of such science, then how does it arise from matter that is claimed to be fundamental?", leaving such question for philosophers. To me it simply sounds like "we just don't want to answer this question just because we can't, even though it logically derives from our assumptions and the known experimental facts".
Eugene,

Why do you keep repeating the above when I stated clearly Goethe's method AND product differed from Newtons when studying the color spectrum? That is directly connected to their metaphysical assumptions (some basic metaphysical assumption is unavoidable, as Eugene already pointed out). Even if you don't agree Goethe reached a more valid result, you cannot deny the clear documented facts of modern scientific history. The only reason can be ideological commitment to denying idealism any practical significance.

For a concrete example, here is an excerpt from the preface of Goethe's Theory of Colours. Anyone can see in it how vastly different his general scientific approach was from materialists-dualists of his day and present day. And his scientific conclusions were vastly different as a result.

Goethe wrote:And thus as we descend the scale of being, Nature speaks to other senses—to known, misunderstood, and unknown senses: so speaks she with herself and to us in a thousand modes. To the attentive observer she is nowhere dead nor silent; she has even a secret agent in inflexible matter, in a metal, the smallest portions of which tell us what is passing in the entire mass. However manifold, complicated, and unintelligible this language may often seem to us, yet its elements remain ever the same. With light poise and counterpoise, Nature oscillates within her prescribed limits, yet thus arise all the varieties and conditions of the phenomena which are presented to us in space and time.

Infinitely various are the means by which we become acquainted with these general movements and tendencies: now as a simple repulsion and attraction, now as an upsparkling and vanishing light, as undulation in the air, as commotion in matter, as oxydation and de-oxydation; but always, uniting or separating, the great purpose is found to be to excite and promote existence in some form or other.

The observers of nature finding, however, that this poise and counterpoise are respectively unequal in effect, have endeavoured to represent such a relation in terms. They have everywhere remarked and spoken of a greater and lesser principle, an action and resistance, a doing and suffering, an advancing and retiring, a violent and moderating power; and thus a symbolical language has arisen, which, from its close analogy, may be employed as equivalent to a direct and appropriate terminology.

To apply these designations, this language of Nature to the subject we have undertaken: to enrich and amplify this language by means of the theory of colours and the variety of their phenomena, and thus facilitate the communication of higher theoretical views, was the principal aim of the present treatise.
In the second part[1] we examine the Newtonian theory; a theory which by its ascendancy and consideration has hitherto impeded a free inquiry into the phenomena of colours. We combat that hypothesis, for although it is no longer found available, it still retains a traditional authority in the world. Its real relations to its subject will require to be plainly pointed out; the old errors must be cleared away, if the theory of colours is not still to remain in the rear of so many other better investigated departments of natural science. Since, however, this second part of our work may appear somewhat dry as regards its matter, and perhaps too vehement and excited in its manner, we may here be permitted to introduce a sort of allegory in a lighter style, as a prelude to that graver portion, and as some excuse for the earnestness alluded to.

We compare the Newtonian theory of colours to an old castle, which was at first constructed by its architect with youthful precipitation; it was, however, gradually enlarged and equipped by him according to the exigencies of time and circumstances, and moreover was still further fortified and secured in consequence of feuds and hostile demonstrations.

The same system was pursued by his successors and heirs: their increased wants within, the harassing vigilance of their opponents without, and various accidents compelled them in some places to build near, in others in connexion with the fabric, and thus to extend the original plan.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:04 pm The only reason can be ideological commitment to denying idealism any practical significance.
I think Jim is an idealist, in the conventional sense that he believes in an ideal science that is utterly free of any ontological premise, despite the preponderance of scientists who are investigating the phenomenal processes of a realm 'out there', who are unwittingly, subliminally presuming that such a world still exists even if all minds are eliminated from it, and thus also presuming that minds emerge from that mindless realm. And even if the case is made that science should ideally also not presume the opposite, I'm still not seeing who those scientists are.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Jim Cross wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:42 pm
It's an abstraction too.
only for philosophical zombies
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:04 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:04 pm The only reason can be ideological commitment to denying idealism any practical significance.
I think Jim is an idealist, in the conventional sense that he believes in an ideal science that is utterly free of any ontological premise, despite the preponderance of scientists who are investigating the phenomenal processes of a realm 'out there', who are unwittingly, subliminally presuming that such a world still exists even if all minds are eliminated from it, and thus also presuming that minds emerge from that mindless realm. And even if the case is made that science should ideally also not presume the opposite, I'm still not seeing who those scientists are.

I will admit to being an idealist in that sense as well - we only need the ontic premise that we are experiencing phenomenon (like colors). I guess Jim may even deny that because he keeps saying mind is an abstraction... in which case I call that "Utopian idealism", which is just wishful praying that science can be something other than what it actually is.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Ashvin,

I'm not finding a lot in Goethe's theory of colors that really jumps out at me as being that different from other science from 200 years ago. It got some things right and some things wrong. I also am not seeing how it arisies in any direct way from an idealistic premise. Some of it seems actually physicalist. Goethe seems to think of colors as real things in themselves. Even your own quote seems to talk about nature as something we observe and interact with. For example, take this part of your quote:
Nature speaks to other senses—to known, misunderstood, and unknown senses: so speaks she with herself and to us in a thousand modes. To the attentive observer she is nowhere dead nor silent; she has even a secret agent in inflexible matter, in a metal, the smallest portions of which tell us what is passing in the entire mass. However manifold, complicated, and unintelligible this language may often seem to us, yet its elements remain ever the same. With light poise and counterpoise, Nature oscillates within her prescribed limits, yet thus arise all the varieties and conditions of the phenomena which are presented to us in space and time.
Sure this is poetic but, aside from that, it seems to be about finding the regularity in the nature that is what science is all about.

But I'm certainly not an expert on Goethe. Do you have any better examples, something maybe in the last two hundred years?