Intuitive Idealism vs. Analytic Idealism (Part II): An alternative formulation of idealism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Intuitive Idealism vs. Analytic Idealism (Part II): An alternative formulation of idealism

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:14 pm Adur,

I know you don't take it personally and that was not my argument. Maybe it would be easier to ask if you agree with Steiner's dispassionate observation of Thinking in relation to other soul activities, as expressed by the quote provided, where he concludes Thinking is always present in experience and current Thinking cannot be perceived? As soon as "current" Thinking is perceived, another unperceived 'layer' manifests as the "current" Thinking. Do you agree?

I may need to coin a phrase here - the "but still" argument 🙂 in this case, it was "I know science and spirituality are ultimately connected, but still I choose to treat them differently." Notice you are not treating them differently as an initial approach with the goal of discovering the ultimate connections between them, but you are treating them differently because it is your preference to always treat them differently. Now consider which approach completely forecloses on the possibility of ever seriously considering another's approach.

There is nothing which inherently prevents me from considering the DA and integrating those insights which may be accurate and therefore useful for my own approach. Your approach, as long as the preferential feelings remain in control, rather than the thought-full desire to find the "ultimate connections" between fragmented fields of inquiry, will be unable to genuinely consider another approach. I am really asking, do you see the logic of that argument or not? I am happy to clarify the argument further and consider any logical responses to the argument. But if it's really matter of "I don't feel a logical counter-argument is needed to deal with it", then that's support for the argument, if you see what I mean.

I am glad you have chosen to read PoF. Again, I hope you are able to put aside personal antipathy and consider the phenomenology of Thinking. For me, I had to put aside all my preferred conceptions of "thinking" and "freedom". When I finally did, it was a profound experience. It will require genuine sacrifice from us. If these things were simple decisions, entire spiritual traditions would not have evolved around this need for loving sacrifice to be united with the Divine in experience and knowledge, which themselves are not two but one. "What God has put together, let no man tear asunder."

I rushed this response earlier, so let me add a few more points. I appreciate your candid forthrightness, as it saves me from taking days, weeks, or months to explain what you are doing. You already know that you are creating a metaphysical dualism or pluralism - "But when it comes to spirituality, I think there are many different realities, many ways of experiencing the ultimate spiritual truth. The realm of spirit is much vaster and richer than the realm of matter. So, I don't see the point of going into debates about spiritual reality." You sort of back off the bolded claim by then saying it is the same "ultimate spiritual truth' experienced in many different ways, which is clearly true. But the practical effect of your approach is, as you say, to envision "many different realities" and treat each reality differently with a different set of 'rules' (or complete lack of 'rules'). Aside from the obvious metaphysical problems which arise with any dualism or pluralism, and to be frank, I see this as a very egoic approach. It is so caught up in its own personal preferences that it will ignore what it already knows - that all these fields of inquiry are unified and pointing to the same spiritual Reality from different angles - just to preserve that egoic sense of control over Reality. It says there are a bunch of different languages, and people have already worked to translate books written in some languages to another language, so that all people have greater access to the ideas expressed in all languages, but you are going to pretend as if that never happened or could not possibly happen so as to preserve the preference for fragmented languages and selective access to each linguistic culture's spiritual ideas. I hope you are still keeping in mind that I am not making this personal to you, because it is quite clearly a common mindset, an almost ubiquitous one, in Western cultures of the modern age.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Re: Intuitive Idealism vs. Analytic Idealism (Part II): An alternative formulation of idealism

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:32 pm
I concur, and is no doubt why poetry speaks to us of a much deeper gnosis (a word which oddly enough the spellcheck AI also red-lines, what is up with that?)

Is it possible that mere words,
as ideas that bestir the spirit,
can transcend inherent limits,
and somehow come to intend
the numinous wonder of nature —
despite what is said, or not said,
about the ineffability of the Tao.
Could it also be that perchance,
upon some mystical occasions,
a unexpected exception is made,
and out of some wordless depths
of fertile silence and stillness,
a wormlike sentence is born,
and crawls across the page,
voraciously devouring the leaf,
whereupon it spins a lyrical cocoon,
emerging after a cryptic spell,
as if by divine grace or magic,
as an intricately transfigured
metamorphosed metaphor ...
an utterance taking wing,
that in a flight of imagining,
like Eros bewitched by Logos,
sings words to awaken by.
I like your poem, Shu. Definitely a keeper.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Adur Alkain

Post by Adur Alkain »

Cleric K wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:22 pm
Adur Alkain wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 am Anyway. My question is, is there a risk of "spiritual bypass" in the "Thinking path" you practice? How do you deal with the unsconscious conditioning, the egoic structures? I'm genuinely interested in that.
Thank you Adur, for these constructive questions!

Let's begin from the more approachable side. Consider a smoking habit. As long as one simply flows together with that habit, it is as an intrinsic part of their being. If at some point, for health or other reasons, the person decides to quit, we witness interesting phenomena. Suddenly both the physical and the psychic aspects of the habit raise against the person as independent living processes that oppose and effectively try to subdue his free spirit. The key observation here is that the character of the smoking habit becomes conscious for the person only when they confront it. Otherwise they are merrily flowing together on the stream of becoming and reaping whatever the consequences of this might be.

Let's now move towards the realm of thought. If one attempts any exercise for concentration of thinking he'll almost immediately be confronted with almost insurmountable difficulty. We realize that we are not at all the rugged, in-control machos that we imagine ourselves to be most of the time. If we simply delve on our frustration that we can't keep our thinking still for even a few seconds, we miss the most important aspect of it. Similarly to smoking, the thing that frustrates us is the same thing that we're normally flowing along with all the time! It's only when we try to extricate ourselves from this automatic flow, that we become conscious of the currents on which our soul life is normally flowing. Instead of becoming frustrated we can appreciate that we now at least know some things about soul life, about which we were previously oblivious. We can observe what are the common patterns of thoughts, desires, bodily fidgeting (fingers, foot) which keep us from centering. For example, we may notice that our concentration is constantly being broken as we slip into mental argue with a person. We may be quite astounded to realize that we are doing this quite regularly but the fact has never become conscious.

In this sense, once we begin intense spiritual work we need to gradually master all these things. Here's the important thing: this mastering is not purely mental discipline! Fidgeting requires actual mastering of our will. Mental arguing with people is rarely only about the intellectual subject matter itself. There are real and deeper forces in the soul domain of feeling. We may have been hurt by that person, we may subconsciously want to dominate them and so on. It is true that we become conscious of these things through our focused spiritual activity (as they try to oppose it) but the rectification of these issues require the forces of the whole man - willing, feeling, thinking.

There can be no question of bypass here. There's a Japanese proverb - "there are no shortcuts in science". This holds to its fullest extent on a spiritual path. The reason that approaching things directly with our spiritual activity is seen as bypass is because it's usually imagined that in this way one disconnects from the body and soul, and simply rises in the clouds. It must be said right away that this is a real problem but not quite in the way commonly imagined. Our civilization has led us to a point where different human endeavors are quite one-sided. For example, it's almost a stereotypical image that a science professor is excelling in the mental world of his expertise but is otherwise of dorky, socially-awkward character, with feeble physique. This can happen also with people that preoccupy themselves with reading esoteric literature (including anthroposophy) and practically stuff their head with myriad of concepts and ideas but without inner cohesion and practical application. This is a real tendency for those who approach spiritual science in purely intellectual way. Steiner himself has constantly warned about this. So is this a real bypass? Not really. Having a database of dry spiritual concepts which do not connect with reality, by itself makes the person more developed as much as that database would make a hard drive spiritual. We need to be very clear about this.

Anyone who is honestly seeking the inner realities very quickly realizes that one can't make even the tiniest step forward without constant work on the whole human being. This is very obvious if we look at the actual exercises. How can one bypass his inability to concentrate? There're no tricks about this, no clever hacks. It would be like being unable to lift 50kg but somehow bypassing it and lifting directly 100. We can only move forward if we slowly and patiently work on the transformation of the forces that prevent us of taking control of our spiritual activity. The work is twofold. One one hand we focus all our energies on the exercises, on the other, we gain self-knowledge and pinpoint tasks that must be worked upon our character in all of the remaining time. Life itself becomes practical school for us.
Rudolf Steiner wrote:The golden rule [for spiritual science] is as follows: For every one step that you take in the pursuit of higher knowledge, take three steps in the perfection of your character.

Knowledge of Higher Worlds and its Attainment
So I hope that we've cleared that Thinking path shouldn't be confused with intellectual-theoretical path. Instead, it is the direct facing with everything that chains the free spirit. It is Thinking path in the sense that we're not blindly following dogmatic rules and rituals but everything must pass through our clear cognition. Yet this is only the beginning. Everything passes through clear cognition but if it doesn't turn into Loving impulse in the Heart and devoted deeds of the Will, we are not yet human in the true sense of the word.

Here a question might be raised: "But Eastern practices lead to the pretty much the same results, even thought they don't focus on spiritual activity but on quiet contemplation and dissociation from the soul content. In this way I'm able to recognize these same deterring factors and become liberated from their influences. Now I can easily quiet the mind and desires, and spend long time in perfect stillness". Up to a point this is true. I myself have gone through yogic practices in the past - both physical and spiritual. (As a personal side note, I don't draw only on anthroposphy. Certainly spiritual science is my main path for the development of cognition but for the practical application of the Sun impulse in life, I have other sources too.) As far as it is all about mastering chaotic thoughts and desires, there are lots of different paths that can lead to that result. But it is precisely if we have attained this level of perfection that the mentioned 'postponing' already becomes an important issue.

Let me put this way. The principle that we must exercise our spiritual activity in order to become conscious of the spiritual environment holds true on all levels. I guess this is pretty understandable from the examples of smoking and concentration, even for people with no experience in spiritual practices. The interesting stuff happens once the quietness and serenity of soul is achieved. It is at this point where one becomes, for example, spiritual teacher like, say, Rupert Spira. One has attained to the grounds of Consciousness and he now can give Light to other souls, so that they can also achieve mastery and then peace and immensity.

At this stage it already makes real difference if one will continue to work with focused spiritual activity because in this case we are really on our way to the higher worlds.

It is not true that once we attain to peace, serenity, Love, joy, we have already done our job. Just as with smoking and concentration, if we continue with concentration of the spirit - the Universal Creative - we soon find out that even in these states of quiet and blissful contemplation, seemingly completely free of egoic elements, we're still flowing along certain, admittedly, higher order currents. But they are still currents. And as any other, we need to differentiate from them in order to become conscious of them. In the sea of serenity we no longer have any means to become conscious of these currents because we have cleared out all sources of noise and distractions. We're completely at one with the blissful flow of Consciousness. And this is precisely the issue. Unless we find a form of even higher order spiritual activity, we can never become conscious that this blissful flow is only one of the many more layers of the Worlds within which we are embedded.

When we continue our active concentration, even when in the midst of stillness and serenity, our discoveries continue. Just as our ordinary concentration becomes, in a sense, an organ for perception for all these things that work against our spiritual intent, so through the sustained concentration of our creative spiritual being we begin to feel that even our tendency to free flow in complete bliss on the sea of serenity, is something that drags us along and as such we're not conscious of it. Gradually, this tendency becomes more and more clearly perceptible for us and rises against us as an actual being. This being has been known in all genuine esoteric schools and is commonly called The Guardian at the Threshold. This is no other but our actual self, within which we have been embedded even when in complete serenity and without perceptible traces of egoic structures.

This is probably the greatest insult for a mystic - to dare and state that at the stage that they value the highest, complete mystical union with the flow of Cosmic Consciousness, they don't really overcome the self - it's simply that all traceable perceptions of it have been completely smoothed out and now the reality of the ego has simply spread out and merged quietly and imperceptibly with the Cosmic background, so to speak. If what we speak here is understood, it will be clear that we have absolutely no means to distinguish this completely laminar and blissful ego from the general environment. The only way to distinguish it is if we come to know ourselves as a spiritual being active at an even higher level of consciousness, against which the chameleon ego becomes once again visible as the Guardian at the Threshold.

Honest thinking can already forebode that this is indeed the case. I often ask people (without really getting an answer) - "If you were really One with All within the serene state where the ego dissolves, how come you know nothing about the perspective of the One? How the world was created? The perspectives of other beings?" Somehow this mystical state is still experienced from a very specific perspective within the One. This leaves the mystic with the only conclusion that there are some hard rules that define this perspective while incarnated but they will hopefully dissolve after death. Well, precisely these hard rules are what the true nature of the Earthly self is and what becomes perceptible to us as the Guardian at the Threshold when we deserve to raise in Spirit above this Earthly cocoon. This transition is no other but the crossing the Threshold of Death, yet without leaving the physical body behind.

All the previous work has only been the preparation for the spiritual scientists. It is after we cross the Threshold that the real work begins. The principle remains the same. We are active Spirit and in relation to that activity we perceive (now according to the higher forms of cognition) the processes and beings in the higher realms. Here I would like to mention that we shouldn't imagine that every step higher is achieved through spiritual activity opposing and becoming conscious of harmful unconscious currents. This is largely the case while we work on our Earthly character, but the higher we go, it would be much more appropriate to compare the differentiation of our spiritual being as a kind of maturing. The young person at some point leaves his parents and becomes conscious of many things (food, shelter) that were provided for him unconsciously, but now enter his field of consciousness because they are his responsibility from now on. Something similar happens when we are engaged in higher development. In other words, higher knowledge comes at a price - we take responsibility and this has karmic effects. The repercussions for our destiny are of one kind if we get drunk now or then. But once we've come to know our Earthly self from a higher perspective and we have seen clearly the kinds of beings and forces that are active in us when we give in to the desire to get drunk, and we still allow ourselves to be united with them, then the repercussions are of a different kind.

Beyond the Threshold we can really follow the curvature of Time between the Alpha and Omega (if you have followed the side discussions here). Just as in our personal investigation we become conscious of layers after layers of our Earthly self, weaved out of instincts, opinions, prejudices, desires, habits, so this process continues but now we become conscious of the workings of karma. What was previously layers of personal psyche, now are layers of our entanglement with other souls - family, friends, enemies - the layers of the social organism, of the nation, of all humanity. Again, if you have followed our talks here, you know that as we raise in this way, these relations also encompass more and more Time. In this way we reach the rhythmic waves of the incarnations, which are embedded within the rhythms of the evolutionary cultural epochs (which are, by the way, related with the precession of the equinox or the so called Platonic year ~26 000 years).There are so many things that can be spoken about here but I wanted just to make a point. Just an indication about the way the Thinking path metamorphoses into higher forms of cognition which put us in relation with corresponding higher worlds.

As before, I'm not writing all this to shaken your trust in your chosen method of work. I'm quite sure you can extract many many more precious jewels from your practices. I hope that the above exposition has shown that it is not about various paths leading to the same results, only differing in the methods they use. If the above is fully internalized we do understand clearly, even with nothing but unprejudiced thinking, that where some teachings stop, others are only beginning.
Thank you, Cleric! All this is incredibly deep.

Reading a post like the above is enough for me to realize how powerful this way of knowledge is (I understand it's called "spiritual science", right?). The precision and depth of everything you say here is astounding. I can tell there must be years of continued spiritual practice behind this.

What interests me from this conversation is not to decide which path is better (I don't think there is such thing as "the best spiritual path"), but just to see the differences. This gives me an appreciation of alternative views, and a clearer understanding of the particularities of the path I'm in.

Maybe this is a good place to explain that in the Diamond Approach we hold the view that there are many different spiritual paths, and that all of them are true, and that they don't lead to the same results. I think this perspective is unique to the DA. In this view, which Almaas calls "the view of totality", the spiritual universe is much vaster and richer than the physical universe. There is no reason to believe that all spiritual paths will eventually have to converge in the same place, one single Omega point or whatever. The spiritual exploration of all these paths will continue for ever, for all we know.

This doesn't deny that for some paths there may be an Omega point, or a point where Alpha and Omega become one (I read your post with that picture of the concentric circles depicting non-linear time, I find that view fascinating), or whatever. But to think that this is the necessary end point for all paths amounts to believing that Being, or Spirit, is limited. In the DA we don't think it is.

In other words, every path leads to the Truth. But not to the Whole Truth. This can never be reached. No path can completely possess the Truth, completely exhaust all posssibilities of spiritual experience.

I'm not saying, like the hypothetical critics at the end of your other post, "well, Alpha and Omega may seem to converge from your current point of view, but maybe at some future point you will realize that it wasn't actually true". What I'm saying is that it is possible that you, and others following the path of spiritual science, will reach that point where Alpha and Omega meet (or whatever you find at the end, if there's an end), and this will be the Truth, while other souls following different paths will be experiencing a totally different spiritual universe, and that will be the Truth too. (This is not to be confused to the stupid post-modern notion of "post-truth", where the individual ego is supposed to make up its own "truth". I'm talking about spiritual Truth here.)

There is only one Truth, but this Truth is too vast to be captured by a single path, by a single soul. This can be illustrated with the traditional metaphor of the elephant, where one path is exploring the trunk, another the belly, another the legs, etc. But it's an infinite elephant, with an infinite trunk, and an infinite belly, and infinite legs. You can continue exploring the trunk for ever, without ever getting to know anything about the legs. And that's more than enough. But it's important to remember that we are not seeing the whole elephant. To think otherwise would limit our exploration.

The beauty of this "view of totality" is that we can be sitting here, having a conversation via the physical medium of computers and the internet, while living in completely different spiritual universes. In this perspective, the physical world is actually an interface where all kinds of spiritual seekers can meet and interact. I find this view very liberating and inspiring.

Now maybe I can say some more about the issue of "spiritual bypass". Let's take the example of a smoking habit. I don't think it's true that we can become conscious of a habit only if we confront it. Confronting it certainly works, but it's not the way of the DA. In the DA practice of inquiry, we don't confront anything, we don't try to change anything. We simply inquire into our experience. When we do that, we discover all kinds of habits, beliefs, ideas, emotions, etc. We don't try to change any of them, we try to understand them. In the case of a smoking habit, we would ask ourselves: "What does this habit do for me? Why do I feel restless if I'm not allowed to smoke? Is it just a physical addiction, or is there something else?", etc. This kind of inquiry almost always uncovers some psychodynamic content coming from childhood, very often related to the mothering figure. Once this content is understood, the unconscious psychological dynamic underlying the habit disappears, and the habit simply falls away (in the particular case of a smoking habit there is also an element of physical addiction, which complicates things: but if the psychological source of addiction is unveiled, it becomes much easier to do the effort necessary to overcome the physical addiction).

It is possible, of course, to quit smoking by a pure exercise of will, especially if one has the control over one's thoughts and actions that I understand is gained by the practice of the path of spiritual science. But this would leave the unconscious psychological issues underlying the habit undiscovered, and they would probably arise in another form (maybe developing another habit perceived as more healthy by the superego, say chewing gum).

This is what I meant by "bypass". In the case of "spiritual bypass", it's possible to find peace and a sort of spiritual awakening by meditating every day, maybe even moving to an ashram, etc. But if the psychological issues are not addressed, they will show up the moment the "awakened" person comes back to the real world and interacts with unenlightened people.

From your answer, it's not clear to me if you address these psychological issues (mainly coming from early childhood) in spiritual science. You seem to talk a lot about karma, past lives, "beings and forces that are active in us". All these things do exist, but in the DA the main focus, especially at the beginning of the path, is on the experiences of our childhood that conditioned us. Do you look into that too, in spiritual science?

My sense is that if the difficult and painful childhood experiences we all had are not worked through, we can still reach a high spiritual development (for example by concentrating on Thinking), but those unseen issues will somehow force themselves into our awareness, maybe in the form of inimical "beings and forces" trying to stear us away from our chosen path. But perhaps I'm completely misunderstaning how spiritual science works!
Physicalists hold two fundamental beliefs:

1. The essence of Nature is Mathematics.
2. Consciousness is a product of the human brain.

But the two contraries are true:

1. The essence of Nature is Consciousness.
2. Mathematics is a product of the human brain.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Adur Alkain wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:24 am From your answer, it's not clear to me if you address these psychological issues (mainly coming from early childhood) in spiritual science. You seem to talk a lot about karma, past lives, "beings and forces that are active in us". All these things do exist, but in the DA the main focus, especially at the beginning of the path, is on the experiences of our childhood that conditioned us. Do you look into that too, in spiritual science?
Yes, Adur. There isn't anything that spiritual science doesn't look into. In the ears of contemporary man 'spiritual science' sounds like something exotic and highly specific but in reality it is the most natural, ever expanding activity of the human spirit, which finds the underlying unity of everything entering the field of consciousness - the same unity which expresses in the human spirit itself.

When we resolve childhood trauma, the 'tectonic plates' of our spiritual being shift and rearrange. Now it's like chains have fallen from our spirit. We move and breathe freely. Not only that but we look back and retrospectively see that we have been an incomplete being. We were restrained, muted, deformed. All of this was expressed in our thoughts, feelings, acts, speech. Yet we were not conscious of the reasons. We simply accept that 'this is what we are'. We might not even suspect that there's something to be transformed - we may simply believe that this is how life works, that life inherently sucks. If someone were to tell us "Hey, you're living only part of your real being now. There's a being in you waiting to be freed and be given the chance to express itself", we could find that quite insulting and threatening. We would think "I'm what I am. I'm not giving my life so that another version of me can have it!". Yet once we've gone through the transformation we know how wrong we would have been to think that. We haven't given our life so someone else can have it. We've given our deformed life so that we can find our true being that has always been there but couldn't express freely. We have found ourselves.

Science becomes spiritual science when we don't place arbitrary limits on the domain of investigation. Just as regular science limits itself when it postulates that it only deals with mathematical thoughts that it tries to map to quantified aspects of the sensory spectrum of experience, so we place arbitrary limits if we seek explanations for our current state of existence solely in our personal biography. When the horizon of consciousness expands ever further, we pass through many other layers of being - our relations with other souls, the repeating embodied lives, the evolution of the planetary and Cosmic spheres. All of these have more and more universal character the higher we go. In the same way that we are an incomplete being when living under the tyranny of unresolved soul conflicts, so we are currently living within unresolved Cosmic 'trauma'. Everything said before holds true here as well and our reaction is "No way! I refuse to believe that I'm only a partial being". Yet it is only when we deepen our spiritual life and face the living processes that define us as an Earthly human being, that we find we've been living a muted and crippled life. This is not a one time event. It's unending metamorphosis. Once we experience even a tiny glimpse of this perspective, the idea of 'evolution of consciousness' ceases to be a dirty word for us. In fact, we discover that the only thing that brings true meaning to life is the continual transformation of the layers of being, which over and over again resurrects us into our true being - the Universal Being. Within these layers we discover also the trauma that prevents us in our ordinary consciousness to gather the courage and face reality. These are the forces that make us prefer to imagine that our being is inherently separated in different interest groups. Our fear of facing reality is so strong that it blinds us to the fact how painfully illogical it is to speak of One Universal Consciousness which nevertheless exists in infinite number of irreconcilable groups with no trace of inner unity.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Through the unknown, unremembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning;
At the source of the longest river
The voice of the hidden waterfall
And the children in the apple-tree

Not known, because not looked for
But heard, half-heard, in the stillness
Between two waves of the sea.
Quick now, here, now, always--
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
When the tongues of flames are in-folded
Into the crowned knot of fire
And the fire and the rose are one.

Last verses of T.S. Eliot's "Little Gidding"
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Adur Alkain

Post by Adur Alkain »

Cleric K wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:55 pm
Adur Alkain wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:24 am From your answer, it's not clear to me if you address these psychological issues (mainly coming from early childhood) in spiritual science. You seem to talk a lot about karma, past lives, "beings and forces that are active in us". All these things do exist, but in the DA the main focus, especially at the beginning of the path, is on the experiences of our childhood that conditioned us. Do you look into that too, in spiritual science?
Yes, Adur. There isn't anything that spiritual science doesn't look into. In the ears of contemporary man 'spiritual science' sounds like something exotic and highly specific but in reality it is the most natural, ever expanding activity of the human spirit, which finds the underlying unity of everything entering the field of consciousness - the same unity which expresses in the human spirit itself.

When we resolve childhood trauma, the 'tectonic plates' of our spiritual being shift and rearrange. Now it's like chains have fallen from our spirit. We move and breathe freely. Not only that but we look back and retrospectively see that we have been an incomplete being. We were restrained, muted, deformed. All of this was expressed in our thoughts, feelings, acts, speech. Yet we were not conscious of the reasons. We simply accept that 'this is what we are'. We might not even suspect that there's something to be transformed - we may simply believe that this is how life works, that life inherently sucks. If someone were to tell us "Hey, you're living only part of your real being now. There's a being in you waiting to be freed and be given the chance to express itself", we could find that quite insulting and threatening. We would think "I'm what I am. I'm not giving my life so that another version of me can have it!". Yet once we've gone through the transformation we know how wrong we would have been to think that. We haven't given our life so someone else can have it. We've given our deformed life so that we can find our true being that has always been there but couldn't express freely. We have found ourselves.

Science becomes spiritual science when we don't place arbitrary limits on the domain of investigation. Just as regular science limits itself when it postulates that it only deals with mathematical thoughts that it tries to map to quantified aspects of the sensory spectrum of experience, so we place arbitrary limits if we seek explanations for our current state of existence solely in our personal biography. When the horizon of consciousness expands ever further, we pass through many other layers of being - our relations with other souls, the repeating embodied lives, the evolution of the planetary and Cosmic spheres. All of these have more and more universal character the higher we go. In the same way that we are an incomplete being when living under the tyranny of unresolved soul conflicts, so we are currently living within unresolved Cosmic 'trauma'. Everything said before holds true here as well and our reaction is "No way! I refuse to believe that I'm only a partial being". Yet it is only when we deepen our spiritual life and face the living processes that define us as an Earthly human being, that we find we've been living a muted and crippled life. This is not a one time event. It's unending metamorphosis. Once we experience even a tiny glimpse of this perspective, the idea of 'evolution of consciousness' ceases to be a dirty word for us. In fact, we discover that the only thing that brings true meaning to life is the continual transformation of the layers of being, which over and over again resurrects us into our true being - the Universal Being. Within these layers we discover also the trauma that prevents us in our ordinary consciousness to gather the courage and face reality. These are the forces that make us prefer to imagine that our being is inherently separated in different interest groups. Our fear of facing reality is so strong that it blinds us to the fact how painfully illogical it is to speak of One Universal Consciousness which nevertheless exists in infinite number of irreconcilable groups with no trace of inner unity.
Got it. Again, this was very helpful. Thank you, Cleric!
Physicalists hold two fundamental beliefs:

1. The essence of Nature is Mathematics.
2. Consciousness is a product of the human brain.

But the two contraries are true:

1. The essence of Nature is Consciousness.
2. Mathematics is a product of the human brain.