Susan Blackmore: Scientific Evidence and the Near-Death Experience

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Re: Susan Blackmore: Scientific Evidence and the Near-Death Experience

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:18 pm ... in one NDE revelation I recall it was divined as an infinitude of Art for Art's sake ... in which case, best get used to it.
Or perhaps the Amateur Spirit of doing stuff for the Love of doing it.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Posted a review of Blackmore's book.

https://broadspeculations.com/2021/09/0 ... -and-ndes/
Freefrommainstream

Post by Freefrommainstream »

I thought you are a materialist? You actually wrote that psychic phenomena can not be true if science is.
The demon of life traps you into his own thinking and will never let you go
JJFinch

Post by JJFinch »

The OBEs are more interesting than typical NDEs. If someone can be shown to have witnessed something they otherwise couldn't, then this would be an interesting phenomenon (I do think some of the stories are true)

That said, I always remain sceptical of how much science can reveal about metaphysical questions (not only because empiricism isn't the best epistemology). One could always argue that some as yet undiscovered thing explains away an issue, or similar retort.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

JJFinch wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:01 am The OBEs are more interesting than typical NDEs. If someone can be shown to have witnessed something they otherwise couldn't, then this would be an interesting phenomenon (I do think some of the stories are true)

That said, I always remain sceptical of how much science can reveal about metaphysical questions (not only because empiricism isn't the best epistemology). One could always argue that some as yet undiscovered thing explains away an issue, or similar retort.
Which stories are true?

Typically the stories people regard as true happened many years and only supported by recollections of a few people, sometimes just one person.

But the phenomenon ought to be frequent, maybe common, maybe even reproducible with some select group of subjects, if what is happening is what people think is happening. We shouldn't have to reply on faulty and selective memories.
JJFinch

Post by JJFinch »

I'd have to look in to it more (really going on J.P. Moreland and Gary Habermas discussions, but haven't read the book)

This sounds like a form of the "divine hiddenness" kind, in any case. One could counter "why doesn't it happen more?" with "why does it happen at all?" As I say, the metaphysical implications I remain sceptical on (granted I probably don't fall in to the true idealist camp, anyway)
Rodrisceg3

Post by Rodrisceg3 »

interesting information
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

JJFinch wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:40 pm I'd have to look in to it more (really going on J.P. Moreland and Gary Habermas discussions, but haven't read the book)

This sounds like a form of the "divine hiddenness" kind, in any case. One could counter "why doesn't it happen more?" with "why does it happen at all?" As I say, the metaphysical implications I remain sceptical on (granted I probably don't fall in to the true idealist camp, anyway)
Why does it happen at all?

The fact it "happens" so infrequently and never under controlled conditions with good evidence might lead one to believe that what the happening isn't what you think is happening.
JJFinch

Post by JJFinch »

The argument perhaps would be what constitutes 'evidence'
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Not really going to add anything to the scientific debate, or appease the science skeptics, but still this may be of interest, delving into the vast spectrum of such experiences ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.