Anthroposophy for Dummies

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
LukeJTM

Re: Anthroposophy for Dummies

Post by LukeJTM »

I also bought two nice books at RS House. They are basically books containing verses for prayer or meditation, written by Rudolf Steiner. For example they have a meditation for a particular season of the year, or a morning and evening verse, and so on.

The books I bought are available online. I'm not sure if they are on RS-Archive. Here are links if anyone wants to read/buy them.

https://www.amazon.com/Meditations-Time ... 855845547/

https://www.amazon.com/Verses-Meditatio ... 1855841975

The second book has the verses Steiner wrote in German on the left page and the English translation on the right side. This is an example (I hope the photo embeds)

Federica

Post by Federica »

In the first lines of this older post on the Redemption of Thinking, ML recommends two short documents with exercises implicit in PoF, chapter by chapter. One is for individuals, the other for individuals and groups, by Timothy Nadelle.

The documents are freely downloadable:

https://anthroposophy.ca/wp-content/upl ... rcises.pdf

https://anthroposophy.ca/wp-content/upl ... rcises.pdf

To whom it may concern.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Again on PoF, I was recently offered this Steiner quote, from GA 103 The Gospel of John - Part XII The Nature of the Virgin Sophia and of the Holy Spirit which in turn I'd like to bring to the attention of anyone who recognizes, or at least senses, the cardinal value of this work:

"A person can go very far in this matter of katharsis if, for example, he has gone through and inwardly experienced all that is in my book, The Philosophy of Freedom, and feels that this book was for him a stimulation and that now he has reached the point where he can himself actually reproduce the thoughts just as they are there presented. If a person holds the same relationship to this book that a virtuoso, in playing a selection on the piano, holds to the composer of the piece, that is, he reproduces the whole thing within himself—naturally according to his ability to do so—then through the strictly built up sequence of thought of this book—for it is written in this manner—katharsis will be developed to a high degree. For the important point in such things as this book is that the thoughts are all placed in such a way that they become active. In many other books of the present, just by changing the system a little, what has been said earlier in the book can just as well be said later. In The Philosophy of Freedom this is not possible. Page 150 can as little be placed fifty pages earlier in the subject matter as the hind legs of a dog can be exchanged with the forelegs, for the book is a logically arranged organism and the working out of the thoughts in it has an effect similar to an inner schooling. Hence there are various methods of bringing about katharsis. If a person has not been successful in doing this after having gone through this book, he should not think that what has been said is untrue, but rather that he has not studied it properly or with sufficient energy or thoroughness."

By the way, this gives me an idea for a small new project. First I thought I would order a printed version of the book, but here's what I'll do instead: today I'll buy a new notebook and I'll start transcribing PoF, with the intention to progress daily. I will pick the 1964 Michael Wilson translation, report notes at the end of each chapter, and leave every other page blank for further use.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 am By the way, this gives me an idea for a small new project. First I thought I would order a printed version of the book, but here's what I'll do instead: today I'll buy a new notebook and I'll start transcribing PoF, with the intention to progress daily. I will pick the 1964 Michael Wilson translation, report notes at the end of each chapter, and leave every other page blank for further use.

That's an interesting project, Federica. I hope it helps for your orientation. By the way, Luke brought my attention to this interesting YT channel that focuses on Steiner. There are a couple of videos about his thoughts on mistranslations in PoF (Wilson translation), which seemed to make sense to me. For example:

"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 pm
Federica wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 am By the way, this gives me an idea for a small new project. First I thought I would order a printed version of the book, but here's what I'll do instead: today I'll buy a new notebook and I'll start transcribing PoF, with the intention to progress daily. I will pick the 1964 Michael Wilson translation, report notes at the end of each chapter, and leave every other page blank for further use.

That's an interesting project, Federica. I hope it helps for your orientation. By the way, Luke brought my attention to this interesting YT channel that focuses on Steiner. There are a couple of videos about his thoughts on mistranslations in PoF (Wilson translation), which seemed to make sense to me. For example:
Thanks, Ashvin!
I've watched the video but I am surprised that it makes sense to you. First there is conflation, I believe, between archetype and concept, then when it comes to the translation issue specifically, it seems to me quite evident that Wilson's translation is literal in that passage. I don't see why the presenter has made a video about that passage. Can you please say more precisely how it makes sense to you? My first impression here is: much ado about nothing.