Anthroposophy for Dummies

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Anthroposophy for Dummies

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:16 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:28 pm To be clear, I'm not saying anything about Matt Segall or his understanding of spiritual science,
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P I think your previous post is clear enough,

Maybe you can point to the place where I said "Matt Segall doesn't know anything about spiritual science and shouldn't be trusted". I'll wait :)

In fact, I made sure to conclude the post with - " That being said, I have no idea to what extent, if any, this influences their discussion of his works on the channel. I haven't listened to any of them yet."

In an effort to head off what I felt might be your characterization of what I wrote, but clearly that didn't work :)
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:38 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:28 pm To be clear, I'm not saying anything about Matt Segall or his understanding of spiritual science,

Maybe you can point to the place where I said "Matt Segall doesn't know anything about spiritual science and shouldn't be trusted". I'll wait :)

In fact, I made sure to conclude the post with - " That being said, I have no idea to what extent, if any, this influences their discussion of his works on the channel. I haven't listened to any of them yet."

In an effort to head off what I felt might be your characterization of what I wrote, but clearly that didn't work :)

Of course, you haven't said that he doesn't know anything. But I repeat, your text is clear, and I think it is the expression of an antipathy. I am referring to your words overall, in their overall meaning, there is no need to dissect them and point to a particular expression in isolation. Yes, I know that you took good care to arrange the word-pieces so-that, which only confirms that your text is what in Latin would be called captiosus:

Ashvin wrote:I would just mention a word of caution with respect to the channel in general. I have come across Matt Segal's work before, which now includes a significant interest in Anthroposophy. But we can see there is also some discussion around the topic of 'Steiner and racism' and it is practically taken for granted that this racism is present, but can be worked around or rectified in various ways. We also have experience on this forum with that same sentiment.

I'm not exactly sure why it happens, but I suspect it has something to do with clinging to a 'liberal' ideological narrative that weakens the ability to remain objective and really struggle with the lectures and statements in question, seeking the spirit of what is being communicated and what was embodied in Steiner's approach to esoteric science.

Now, what you said may be entirely true. Personally, I haven't yet watched those videos, and formed an opinion about the issue. In any case, true or not, I think you should own the meaning of your own words.

In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:01 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:38 pm

Of course, you haven't said that he doesn't know anything. But I repeat, your text is clear, and I think it is the expression of an antipathy. I am referring to your words overall, in their overall meaning, there is no need to dissect them and point to a particular expression in isolation. Yes, I know that you took good care to arrange the word-pieces so-that, which only confirms that your text is what in Latin would be called captiosus:

Ashvin wrote:I would just mention a word of caution with respect to the channel in general. I have come across Matt Segal's work before, which now includes a significant interest in Anthroposophy. But we can see there is also some discussion around the topic of 'Steiner and racism' and it is practically taken for granted that this racism is present, but can be worked around or rectified in various ways. We also have experience on this forum with that same sentiment.

I'm not exactly sure why it happens, but I suspect it has something to do with clinging to a 'liberal' ideological narrative that weakens the ability to remain objective and really struggle with the lectures and statements in question, seeking the spirit of what is being communicated and what was embodied in Steiner's approach to esoteric science.

Now, what you said may be entirely true. Personally, I haven't yet watched those videos, and formed an opinion about the issue. In any case, true or not, I think you should own the meaning of your own words.

Don't you get tired of this inner stance of constant suspicion and mistrustfulness, Federica? It is getting to the point where I can't even make a comment to you anymore without some ulterior motives being imputed. Even if that's how you feel inwardly, can't you make some effort to resist bringing it to expression and just engage with the words as written in a non-personal way?

The meaning of my words above are very clear - there is discussion on the channel around the racism topic, it is taken for granted that Steiner's racism is a reality, and such ideological filters can be very problematic. It is further clear that "I have no idea" whether this filter influences their understanding of Steiner's other works because I haven't listened to the videos. If you can't take the meaning at face value because of whatever antipathy you have for me, then maybe that's something you should own.

And I would add, we would be mistaken if we assume ideologies are simply 'political orientation' that we can choose to wear like clothing - they run much deeper into the soul constellation of temperament, disposition, sympathies, etc. (which your article also highlighted). As Jung said, 'people don't have ideas, ideas have people'. There is especially tremendous pressure these days to fit everything into such narratives. We see it everywhere in spiritual life these days, including Waldorf Schools. This isn't an antipathy, but simple fact.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 pm ...
PM. But feel free to quote and reply publicly, if you want.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 pm Don't you get tired of this inner stance of constant suspicion and mistrustfulness, Federica? It is getting to the point where I can't even make a comment to you anymore without some ulterior motives being imputed. Even if that's how you feel inwardly, can't you make some effort to resist bringing it to expression and just engage with the words as written in a non-personal way?

The meaning of my words above are very clear - there is discussion on the channel around the racism topic, it is taken for granted that Steiner's racism is a reality, and such ideological filters can be very problematic. It is further clear that "I have no idea" whether this filter influences their understanding of Steiner's other works because I haven't listened to the videos. If you can't take the meaning at face value because of whatever antipathy you have for me, then maybe that's something you should own.

And I would add, we would be mistaken if we assume ideologies are simply 'political orientation' that we can choose to wear like clothing - they run much deeper into the soul constellation of temperament, disposition, sympathies, etc. (which your article also highlighted). As Jung said, 'people don't have ideas, ideas have people'. There is especially tremendous pressure these days to fit everything into such narratives. We see it everywhere in spiritual life these days, including Waldorf Schools. This isn't an antipathy, but simple fact.

Leaving aside the presuppositions about me, and coming to ideologies - yes I also think we would be mistaken if we assume ideologies are simply 'political orientation' that we can choose to wear like clothing (as per the article I recently shared).
I agree with the vast majority of what is pointed out at the link.

Similar issues are occurring worldwide in a variety of social contexts nowadays, and it has become more and more challenging to keep working as usual while respecting one's ideas at the same time, in accordance with Anthroposophy, in accordance with living thinking in general. It can go from pressure to add "pronouns" to one's communication, to much more consequential things. I guess moral dilemmas and difficult choices will only become more and more frequent going forward. I see it very clearly in my own work, and I believe I am far from being the only one.
In any case, it's a rather hot topic and I imagine that few would take the risk to discuss it. But if anyone wants I am all for it. Personally, I still have some hesitations about being entirely transparent in all aspects of life, but I have the ambition to become fearless and prideless, and tackling these types of themes publicly will probably be part of that.

PS. At this exact moment I have been emailed the followjng nudge by Google:

Federica, show your support on International Women’s Day
Support women-owned businesses in more ways
During International Women's Day on March 8th and beyond, Google Maps makes it easier to support women changemakers, business owners, and leaders
See below for inspiration on how to get started.
Contribute now
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:14 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 pm Don't you get tired of this inner stance of constant suspicion and mistrustfulness, Federica? It is getting to the point where I can't even make a comment to you anymore without some ulterior motives being imputed. Even if that's how you feel inwardly, can't you make some effort to resist bringing it to expression and just engage with the words as written in a non-personal way?

Leaving aside the presuppositions about me, and coming to ideologies - yes I also think we would be mistaken if we assume ideologies are simply 'political orientation' that we can choose to wear like clothing (as per the article I recently shared).
I agree with the vast majority of what is pointed out at the link.

Similar issues are occurring worldwide in a variety of social contexts nowadays, and it has become more and more challenging to keep working as usual while respecting one's ideas at the same time, in accordance with Anthroposophy, in accordance with living thinking in general. It can go from pressure to add "pronouns" to one's communication, to much more consequential things. I guess moral dilemmas and difficult choices will only become more and more frequent going forward. I see it very clearly in my own work, and I believe I am far from being the only one.
In any case, it's a rather hot topic and I imagine that few would take the risk to discuss it. But if anyone wants I am all for it. Personally, I still have some hesitations about being entirely transparent in all aspects of life, but I have the ambition to become fearless and prideless, and tackling these types of themes publicly will probably be part of that.

PS. At this exact moment I have been emailed the followjng nudge by Google:

Federica, show your support on International Women’s Day
During International Women's Day on March 8th and beyond, Google Maps makes it easier to support women changemakers, business owners, and leaders
Contribute now

Yeah, it seems these various group-consciousness movements have become thoroughly intwined with monetary interests. It is a clear sign that people are more hesitant than ever to know themselves as free thinking individuals, to unpeel the layers of group identifications that have been amassed around their spiritual core. Barfield touches on this topic in his essay on 'Why Reincarnation?', as in, why is it more important than ever for people to become conscious, in a concrete experiential way, of their core spirit that clothes itself in psychic and bodily configurations from incarnation to incarnation for definite and transpersonal goals.

Barfield wrote:Take for instance the Women's Liberation movement. Well, there is first of all the rather obvious and crude reflection that the emotions of a woman confronting a male chauvinist pig could hardly help being considerably modified by a firm conviction that the said pig will himself in all probability be born as a woman a little later on in the course of evolution. But I am not thinking of that so much as of the narrow and jaundiced view of the past history of mankind which the movement seems to engender in its more enthusiastic adherents, and of the bitterness that results from it. Historical judgements are one thing; personal bitterness is another. The judgements need not be affected. Women, let us say, have always been the oppressed sex. But the bitterness, the venom in it comes of the speaker identifying herself with her sex as a whole, both now and in the past.

Whereas, if she is aware that, in the core of her being, she is as much masculine as feminine, she is free to identify herself not with an artificial class consisting of all women living and dead (which is after all a numerical abstraction) but with Humanity as a whole; which I would say is a reality and not an abstraction at all; and which is in any case not a divisive concept, like that of sex. I am thinking of course of conviction and not of half-hearted belief in reincarnation.

I have also come across this topic on Discord a few times, which again seems most prevalent among the spiritually or esoterically minded. Here is one comment I posted in response to the 'trans-activist' issue:

Yeah, Steiner already laid out the core of this issue in PoF, Ch XIV.

Man, however, makes himself free from what is generic. For the generic features of the human race, when rightly understood, do not restrict man's freedom, and should not artificially be made to do so. A man develops qualities and activities of his own, and the basis for these we can seek only in the man himself. What is generic in him serves only as a medium in which to express his own individual being. He uses as a foundation the characteristics that nature has given him, and to these he gives a form appropriate to his own being. If we seek in the generic laws the reasons for an expression of this being, we seek in vain. We are concerned with something purely individual which can be explained only in terms of itself. If a man has achieved this emancipation from all that is generic, and we are nevertheless determined to explain everything about him in generic terms, then we have no sense for what is individual.

If we think about it, a spirit can only feel offended and victimized by 'gender norms' and biological gender if the spirit experientially identifies itself with the generic characteristics. It can only feel a burning need to transform its gender if it is ignorant of its own gender-free nature. It's not about what we say in our ideological frameworks, but how the core spirit experiences and knows itself. Even at the most proximate stage of consciousness above the intellect, the spirit knows itself as a masculine-feminine unity. The etheric body of a physical male is female and of a physical female is male. We are already a biological unity, only this fact is veiled by our normal sensory cognition

The whole 'trans activist' movement is an expression of the ongoing evolution of consciousness - etheric realities are being unveiled within consciousness but most people are unaware this is happening and what their concrete role is in orienting harmoniously with the spiritual evolutionary process. Therefore the spiritual impulse is physicalized and refuge is taken in outer measures that simply manipulate the sensory spectrum. Ironically, these measures only make it more difficult to integrate the etheric counter-pole which makes us a biological unity. The more power we invest in the physical spectrum, the more power it wields over our true "I" and keeps the latter in ignorance.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Federica wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:14 pm Federica, show your support on International Women’s Day
Contribute now
Happy Women's Day, Federica! :)
Federica

Post by Federica »

Cleric K wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:22 am Happy Women's Day, Federica! :)
:D :) Thank you, Cleric!
To celebrate, except for one hour this afternoon, I have my whole day free to dedicate to spiritual development! :)
Federica

Post by Federica »

Lately, I have been trying to understand language, reading some of RS's lectures on speech, drama, gesture, movement, etcetera, and I would like to seize the opportunity of this thread to remind everyone reading, and myself, of the potent luciferic-ahrimanic illusion we are constantly exposed to when operating in forums like this one, and the importance of constantly strive to bring and maintain these perceptual layers into consciousness. What we are really interacting with here, is percepts of visual patterns. We are not interacting with individuals, we are not listening, speaking, seeing, therefore our intentions, thoughts and feelings have to constantly strive to compensate for this skewed experiential flow and the potential drawbacks involved in the multiple degrees of evil in which we engage when we engage here, from the machine itself, to the visuals we are prompted to couple with meaning, back to the feelings, thoughts, and intentions that are sucked into these holes.
LukeJTM

Post by LukeJTM »

Hi everyone,

it's been a while since I last visited this forum. But I just wanted to mention, there is an Anthroposophy center in London called Rudolf Steiner House, which I got the chance to visit earlier this year (although sadly only briefly). I mentioned it to Ashvin on discord previously, and I wanted to mention it on here but I forgot. Basically, the building is used for events (such as workshops), group studies, performances (they have a theatre room), and it has a small bookshop, a library and a cafe as well. It's really worth checking out if anyone here is visiting London or lives there.

I did take some photos but to be honest the ones on their website are a lot better :)

Here is a link if interested in finding out more

https://rsh.anth.org.uk/