Life after death - Is Life ultimately absurd?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Simon Adams

Re: Life after death - Is Life ultimately absurd?

Post by Simon Adams »

I just don’t know about the pre-existence of souls. When I first chose to be a catholic there were a few areas where I thought I would just have to accept that I have a different view, and when I’ve learnt more I’ve accepted that I was wrong. So I’m very cautious of being too confident of things where councils were confident enough to come down one way. However I just don’t understand how the the soul forms with the body. The Aquinas version of the body/soul (at least the modern interpretation of it) doesn’t seem to fully resonate with me. It doesn’t fit with ‘simple’ things like out of body experiences or near death experiences (which is also the case with Bernardo’s take on alters as far as I can tell). Nonetheless, I just don’t have a clear enough understanding to have a strong view either way. Certainly something of the character of the soul is very much shaped by its embodiment.

Universalism is a tricky one. I’d like to think it’s true, but I’m just not sure everyone will chose the raw light that is god. Maybe if he revealed himself fully to them, then they would out of awe and fear alone. But I’m not sure that can ever be a lasting spiritual binding.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Actually an overwhelming amount of NDE accounts report remembering the pre-existence of the soul before being born into human and many of them also report remembering previous lives/incarnations, which confirms the Origen's views.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Brad Walker

Post by Brad Walker »

Why doesn't God just create omniscient subjects that don't require expensive, tedious learning? If learning enhances experience, why does it matter that subjects have continuity between lives at significantly greater complexity? What was before a soul's first incarnation? Another eternal miracle parallel to God that somehow ties into an objective reality, potentially multiple times? If not how did God create an independent semi-eternal soul? How can a soul have a beginning but no end?

I wouldn't take NDE content at face value as I wouldn't any dream. Parsimony suggests rebirth, at God's whim, not teleological reincarnation.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

Eugene I wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:36 pm Actually an overwhelming amount of NDE accounts report remembering the pre-existence of the soul before being born into human and many of them also report remembering previous lives/incarnations, which confirms the Origen's views.
There is debate about whether Origen believed in reincarnation. He wrote about it and Plato’s Myth of Er, but I think the academic view is that he rejected it? With NDE’s, if you take Bernardo’s metaphysics then this could just be the start of the boundary of the alter dissolving (ie. people resonate with certain lives).

From my perspective, even though I believe we remain individuals after death, I expect we may have some way of seeing into other peoples lives - as if all memories are accessible, using a different type of ‘sight’ from what we have now.

I certainly don’t plan to live my life as if reincarnation is real, as that would contradict Jesus saying that we should live ready. I don’t know either way but we will find out one day, and it doesn’t seem like something I need to know now. Also its a slippery slope towards gnosticism, which tends to get messy and unhealthy.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Brad Walker wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 pm Why doesn't God just create omniscient subjects that don't require expensive, tedious learning?
One NDE experiencer asked this question there and the answer was: "For the entertainment of the spirit". Which means that this is a game, something like a virtual reality one. But it can only be experienced to its fullest extent if it is taken for real, and that's why we forget that it's a game when we enter it.

And personally I don't think there is a single universal purpose, meaning or goal in it, I think every participant makes up the goal and the meaning of it for himself. For some it can be learning, for others it's emotional experiences, or creativity, or love, or exploration, or salvation, or attaining some spiritual states/goals, etc. But that's IMHO, and I understand that most people don't want to subscribe to this kind of teleological relativism. But again IMO this vision brings freedom (to choose your own goals and standards) and relief from the anxiety of missing the "universal goal". It also makes one not to be judgmental because you can't judge others based on your beliefs or standards if you know that they are not universal and not applicable to others who may have entirely different goals and standards in life.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy