(Essay) A Phenomenology of Mechanism: The Liminal Spaces of Perception

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Federica

Re: (Essay) A Phenomenology of Mechanism: The Liminal Spaces of Perception

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:53 am
In the traditional communities the shamans are known to each other and the villagers. There are a range of health issues for which shamans have produced remedies and the general population is aware of what works (or doesn't). Often, when asked how a medicine was discovered, the shaman responds that he was told by the plant. The research and writings of anthropologist Jeremy Narby are a rich source of reports, especially from Amazonia. Of course, there are modern scientific remedies as well, so it's not a contest between approaches. My point is that they are different approaches sharing common methods of peer review and replication. Narby's most recent book, Plant Teachers: Ayahuasca, Tobacco, and the Pursuit of Knowledge is co-authored with the Shawi healer Rafael Chanchari Pizuri and offers an interesting dialog on how the modern and shamanic modalities can work together, with each having something unique to offer.

Lou - thinking about you, also in hindsight, in connection with the previous exchanges, and the wealth of youtubes, poems, pictures, stories, and more you often throw out, the overall sense I get is this. You are like: “Hey guys! Don’t you want to play with me? Look at all these supercool toys I have here, spread out all over the floor, let’s play! Come on, there must be at least one of these you would like to try? You can pick whichever you want, even the coolest one here, it’s yours! Let’s play!” And Ashvin is telling you: “Enough played Lou, it’s high time to get serious now, and get to work”.
In our previous exchanges, I played two minutes with you, then I handed you the bus ticket to come to the office with me and get to work. That was the chrysalis story I wrote for you. But instead of standing up and getting ready to come to the bus stop, you just grabbed the ticket, put it together with your other playing-cards spread on the floor, shuffled the cards again, dealt them, and said: “That’s wonderful Federica, what a fantastic card, thank you! Please sit down, let’s play, it's your turn!” To which my answer was: “I cannot play with you, Lou. I have to go to work now!”
So I guess the question is: do you want to come to work and start earning a living and a retirement for yourself? So as to pay in the social security contributions for the whole system to survive, also? You don't even have to start at entry level where I am, I'm sure. So, well, we won't be in the same office, but we can certainly take the bus together.
Are you coming, Lou?
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Sounds kind of nasty Ashvin but there's something that needs clarification. I'm not inviting you to take a bus ride with me. I'm asking you to respect that there are many serious intelligent bus lines travelling back and forth in this incredible adventure called spiritual life and stop suggesting that yours is exclusively or the most progressive or thoughtful or rational or scientific. I enjoy watching your exchanges with Federica and appreciate the views you share with each other along the way. You seem as skillful fellow travelers to me. The fact that it's not my way does not prevent this appreciation of diversity. But of course you are correct. To deeply grok the values and limits of any bus line -- shamanic or anthroposophic or other -- one needs to get serious and take the ride. Meanwhile, it's wise not to criticize insider views from outside the bus.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Federica

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:06 pm Sounds kind of nasty Ashvin but there's something that needs clarification. I'm not inviting you to take a bus ride with me. I'm asking you to respect that there are many serious intelligent bus lines travelling back and forth in this incredible adventure called spiritual life and stop suggesting that yours is exclusively or the most progressive or thoughtful or rational or scientific. I enjoy watching your exchanges with Federica and appreciate the views you share with each other along the way. You seem as skillful fellow travelers to me. The fact that it's not my way does not prevent this appreciation of diversity. But of course you are correct. To deeply grok the values and limits of any bus line -- shamanic or anthroposophic or other -- one needs to get serious and take the ride. Meanwhile, it's wise not to criticize insider views from outside the bus.

Lou, read carefully now. Of course you are not. It’s clear that you are not inviting me, or anyone else, to take a bus ride with you. How could you, you aren’t going anywhere. You just want to stay on “serious and intelligent buses”, taking countless rides to nowhere, until the ticket inspector comes and kicks you out. Is this really the most "incredible spiritual adventure"? And do you sincerely feel someone is not respecting you, or is this question a diversion? Did anyone ever disrespect you here? I suggest you contemplate the question: “Who is not respecting me?”
There is nothing to "deeply grok about the values and limits of bus lines”. The only reason to take a bus is to get somewhere, to get to the center. There’s no point in turning around indefinitely on various “serious, intelligent” bus lines, endlessly and respectfully co-existing and intersecting with each other, unless they can get you somewhere, unless they can get you to the center. And it’s none’s center. It’s your center just as well as mine, or anyone else’s. It’s not about "getting serious and take bus rides" (you kidding?) It’s about getting serious and going somewhere. So let me ask you again, knowing that you already have, and always had, everyone's and my respect. Are you coming?
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:28 pm Thanks, Frederica!

For what it's worth, I had all kinds of physical oddities occur in earlier phases of meditative life and still do. The heart racing was definitely one of them. Also various sharp pains in seemingly random places. A thumping between the eyes and sometimes in the larynx area. As you can imagine, there are spiritual scientific reasons for all these sudden awakening and stirrings of our bodily organism. I'm somewhat familiar with those reasons but not enough to comment too helpfully on it. I mention this only to say it's completely natural and a sign of progress. We certainly shouldn't be discouraged by such things or shy away from them, rather we should shine the light of thinking consciousness even brighter on them and observe them calmly and patiently. I found that to always help no matter what the distraction.

Also, I think perhaps Cleric was suggesting the practice of 'summoning feelings' in meditations is not the proper orientation, still externalizing our spiritual activity to some extent. It's also a much more difficult path to travel into the meditation, as opposed to steering one's thinking activity into an actively willed thought-image, uniting what we are doing with our thinking to what we are thinking about. If one gets caught up in thinking about how to summon feelings, then this union cannot occur - the activity of thinking itself isn't becoming the object of our thinking. From this thinking path, the Cosmic feeling will naturally grow from within, as our imaginative thinking activity is of Cosmic nature. That has been my experience as well and it seems especially valid for someone who is naturally a more 'feeling' type to begin with.

Thank you Ashvin, it's kind of you to share some of your personal experiences with meditation. I do feel less 'wondering' in my first steps, knowing that a racing heart is something that can ‘normally’ happen. About what’s been suggested here, I am under the impression it's new advice, based on the fact that I am ostensibly a little less on my way than I was previously appearing to be. I am not very surprised about that. Intellect, after all, can take us a fair bit ahead, and I probably got more credit than I really deserved, through diligently writing down my intellectual insights.

Anyhow, I don’t feel at risk of shying away from new attempts with meditation. I have a rather lenient, maybe too lenient, look at self, where I laugh at myself taking these meditative baby-steps. I might be going slowly, because I don’t want to jeopardize anything by implanting wrong habits, but I am not discouraged and have no intention to shy away from anything. By the way, I have now tried the riverbed meditation, with a light heart and without any preparation with feeling. Visualizing the river, the immediate take was to see my activity as the water flowing downstream - weak grounding. I then focused on coming back to center, as the agent that manufactures the stream. The moment that sense came to full focus, the scene zoomed in on me. Not that I zoomed in on the river, rather the scene jumped at me, at a x4 higher volume. That took me by surprise and I slipped in the thought of amazement at the effect, and out. Also known as the 30-second meditation : )
It’s just a matter of trying again, I am sure.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:21 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:06 pm Sounds kind of nasty Ashvin but there's something that needs clarification. I'm not inviting you to take a bus ride with me. I'm asking you to respect that there are many serious intelligent bus lines travelling back and forth in this incredible adventure called spiritual life and stop suggesting that yours is exclusively or the most progressive or thoughtful or rational or scientific. I enjoy watching your exchanges with Federica and appreciate the views you share with each other along the way. You seem as skillful fellow travelers to me. The fact that it's not my way does not prevent this appreciation of diversity. But of course you are correct. To deeply grok the values and limits of any bus line -- shamanic or anthroposophic or other -- one needs to get serious and take the ride. Meanwhile, it's wise not to criticize insider views from outside the bus.

Lou, read carefully now. Of course you are not. It’s clear that you are not inviting me, or anyone else, to take a bus ride with you. How could you, you aren’t going anywhere. You just want to stay on “serious and intelligent buses”, taking countless rides to nowhere, until the ticket inspector comes and kicks you out. Is this really the most "incredible spiritual adventure"? And do you sincerely feel someone is not respecting you, or is this question a diversion? Did anyone ever disrespect you here? I suggest you contemplate the question: “Who is not respecting me?”
There is nothing to "deeply grok about the values and limits of bus lines”. The only reason to take a bus is to get somewhere, to get to the center. There’s no point in turning around indefinitely on various “serious, intelligent” bus lines, endlessly and respectfully co-existing and intersecting with each other, unless they can get you somewhere, unless they can get you to the center. And it’s none’s center. It’s your center just as well as mine, or anyone else’s. It’s not about "getting serious and take bus rides" (you kidding?) It’s about getting serious and going somewhere. So let me ask you again, knowing that you already have, and always had, everyone's and my respect. Are you coming?
I've been on a serious bus ride for at least 25 years that is surely going to a center from which my appreciation of the diversity has only increased. This has been a source of continuous expansion of my contact/communion with truth, goodness and beauty. In this sense, I'm already on the bus with you appreciating your dialogue with Ashvin. In the big sense, I'm not bus-hopping at all. We are already in the adventure together. In the more specific sense of location, seat and window, yes, I am satisfied with my ever-expanding view. I don't think you want to change seats and neither do I. This does not imply a lack of respect.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:08 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:28 pm Thanks, Frederica!

For what it's worth, I had all kinds of physical oddities occur in earlier phases of meditative life and still do. The heart racing was definitely one of them. Also various sharp pains in seemingly random places. A thumping between the eyes and sometimes in the larynx area. As you can imagine, there are spiritual scientific reasons for all these sudden awakening and stirrings of our bodily organism. I'm somewhat familiar with those reasons but not enough to comment too helpfully on it. I mention this only to say it's completely natural and a sign of progress. We certainly shouldn't be discouraged by such things or shy away from them, rather we should shine the light of thinking consciousness even brighter on them and observe them calmly and patiently. I found that to always help no matter what the distraction.

Also, I think perhaps Cleric was suggesting the practice of 'summoning feelings' in meditations is not the proper orientation, still externalizing our spiritual activity to some extent. It's also a much more difficult path to travel into the meditation, as opposed to steering one's thinking activity into an actively willed thought-image, uniting what we are doing with our thinking to what we are thinking about. If one gets caught up in thinking about how to summon feelings, then this union cannot occur - the activity of thinking itself isn't becoming the object of our thinking. From this thinking path, the Cosmic feeling will naturally grow from within, as our imaginative thinking activity is of Cosmic nature. That has been my experience as well and it seems especially valid for someone who is naturally a more 'feeling' type to begin with.

Thank you Ashvin, it's kind of you to share some of your personal experiences with meditation. I do feel less 'wondering' in my first steps, knowing that a racing heart is something that can ‘normally’ happen. About what’s been suggested here, I am under the impression it's new advice, based on the fact that I am ostensibly a little less on my way than I was previously appearing to be. I am not very surprised about that. Intellect, after all, can take us a fair bit ahead, and I probably got more credit than I really deserved, through diligently writing down my intellectual insights.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that we should continue to have a racing heart throughout our meditative life or anything like that. But the overall point is that you are doing something your bodily organism, and that of most other people, is completely unaccustomed to. It's like you went from a life of taking leisurely strolls to preparing for marathons and iron man competitions. You are therefore pushing your organism in ways it is not used to, and, at the same time, you will start becoming more conscious of internal dynamics which you couldn't be aware of before. These things should begin balancing out as you continue. In that sense, I don't think you are less on the way than I had suspected before, but probably more on the way.

It may be helpful to consider the following. In early stages of focused thinking meditation, we are definitely leaning into our ego-organization and putting it to use with an intensity we are entirely unaccustomed to.

Steiner wrote:This ego-organisation is active in the blood; actually, it brings the blood into movement, and in accordance with the movement of the blood, the heart beats. In text books you will always find the facts quite falsely stated, for it is represented as though the heart were a kind of pump, and that this pumping of the heart sends the blood all over the body. This is nonsense, because it is in reality the blood which is brought into motion by the ego-organisation, and moves throughout the body. If anyone asserts that it is the heart that drives the blood, then he must equally assert that if he has a turbine, it is the turbine that sets the water in motion, though everyone knows that it is the water that drives the turbine. Man has the same kind of points of resistance in his heart; the blood comes up against them and sets the heart in motion; thus it is that the ego-organisation works directly in the circulation of the blood.
Anyhow, I don’t feel at risk of shying away from new attempts with meditation. I have a rather lenient, maybe too lenient, look at self, where I laugh at myself taking these meditative baby-steps. I might be going slowly, because I don’t want to jeopardize anything by implanting wrong habits, but I am not discouraged and have no intention to shy away from anything. By the way, I have now tried the riverbed meditation, with a light heart and without any preparation with feeling. Visualizing the river, the immediate take was to see my activity as the water flowing downstream - weak grounding. I then focused on coming back to center, as the agent that manufactures the stream. The moment that sense came to full focus, the scene zoomed in on me. Not that I zoomed in on the river, rather the scene jumped at me, at a x4 higher volume. That took me by surprise and I slipped in the thought of amazement at the effect, and out. Also known as the 30-second meditation : )
It’s just a matter of trying again, I am sure.

That's very interesting! I haven't actually worked with the riverbed meditation, but maybe I will start trying it out as well. Thanks.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:53 am
AshvinP wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:18 am
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:25 pm

Ashvin, let me see if i might be able to move it out of the adversarial frame.
Why are we discriminating against the prosecution-defense dependent co-arising? :D
Yes, there is something to learn from any move in any direction. No, this does not mean that anything goes. One can have faith, as I do, in awareness itself and be devoted to its growth knowing that it will self-correct in the case of error. I'm not being mystical or mysterious or unscientific, The shaman, for example, brings the revelations of the plant spirit to other shamans for peer review and replication and the community quickly learns whether the remedy works.
Can you elaborate on the specifics of these revelations and peer review?
In the traditional communities the shamans are known to each other and the villagers. There are a range of health issues for which shamans have produced remedies and the general population is aware of what works (or doesn't). Often, when asked how a medicine was discovered, the shaman responds that he was told by the plant. The research and writings of anthropologist Jeremy Narby are a rich source of reports, especially from Amazonia. Of course, there are modern scientific remedies as well, so it's not a contest between approaches. My point is that they are different approaches sharing common methods of peer review and replication. Narby's most recent book, Plant Teachers: Ayahuasca, Tobacco, and the Pursuit of Knowledge is co-authored with the Shawi healer Rafael Chanchari Pizuri and offers an interesting dialog on how the modern and shamanic modalities can work together, with each having something unique to offer.

Ok but surely you see the difference between using a 'scientific method' to accumulate knowledge of plant remedies from the spiritual beings behind the plant world, for our own benefit, and using it that method to learn more about the spiritual beings themselves. I am wondering whether there is any scientific method of investigating the latter in these traditions you reference.

Mostly, I am wondering whether you can admit that these are different buses we are speaking of and they are not converging on their route if one remains satisfied with passive revelation from spiritual beings, as opposed to actively seeking out the scientific relations between those spiritual beings and ourselves. This spiritual scientific knowledge is quite capable of explaining the existence of revealed spiritual knowledge, but the revealed spiritual knowledge by itself gives no indication of how to attain spiritual scientific knowledge.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:34 pm Let's consider one small example. We could take our experience of life on Earth with a physical body. Observation reveals this body is composed of the same elements and through the same physical forces we see around us in the mineral kingdom. It also reveals that when we die, this same body decomposes and returns to that kingdom. Careful reasoning here suggests to us that there must be something else, in addition to the physical body, which keeps the latter intact, growing, maintained, etc. for a certain portion of our lives. This something else - referred to as etheric body, life body, vital body, body of formative forces - is supra-sensory, so it cannot be directly perceived by the normal waking intellect. This is a really simplistic version of the argument and we can go into more details if necessary. Here we have an example of current living experience/observations and logical reasoning concluding a reality which is beyond our current conscious awareness. I shouldn't have said it is beyond experience before - what we can logically reason to is always bound up with our experience, since we couldn't experience anything without conceptual activity. And we are always seeking to understand these supra-sensory bodies, not only as isolated concepts, but in terms of our current living, holistic experience. If it doesn't have practical ramifications for our first-person experience of the world, then it's still too abstract and generalized.

You are correct that we should not confuse the logical conclusion for knowledge proper, as in, consciousness of this etheric body from the inner perspective. The normal waking intellect is conscious of how its inner thinking activity relates to its physical body, to some limited extent (much less than what is normally assumed), but it can't say the same for the etheric body. To become inwardly conscious of this body is to start becoming creatively responsible for the unfolding of its development, however limited at first. So the only reason we can say we are arriving at an 'ontology' is because we have concluded, on phenomenological grounds, that the only Reality we can become aware of is of thought-nature which is, of course, the same thought-nature which lives in us. Our concept of 'etheric body', integrated into a living, holistic idea, is a real aspect of the etheric body itself and its functions in our experience. This is how our logical thinking can participate in spiraling together appearance and reality through its living concepts even prior to becoming inwardly conscious of various aspects of that reality. Average humanity has almost no consciousness of inner perspectives responsible for most aspects of its living experience, but if we couple this logical approach with meditative practice, there is endless practical experience and insights we can attain in our current lifetime.

Just to be clear, the real spiritual convictions do arise through inner experience. Nothing can substitute for the experience of having worked something out conceptually and then discovering it as inner reality via higher consciousness, or discovering it within and then coming across the same thing in conceptual form. These are immensely powerful 'road to Damascus' moments. Yet we should get in the habit of understanding the whole thing as a gradient of experience - there is nothing we work out conceptually which will prove to be insignificant for future inner revelations. Outer events in general, during the collective course of human evolution, are being re-experienced inwardly in the human soul. The physical plane and all its forms serve quite definite purposes in aiding this re-membering of the spiritual worlds through us. Since you made it through PoF, it may be worthwhile to start on Theosophy and see how it all fits into a holistic logical tapestry for you. We don't need to call what we are reaching "ontology", if we simply understand that we are reaching firm conclusions about ever-deepening aspects of the only thought-reality we can ever know.

This isn't a separate pursuit than higher cognitive knowledge. It actually serves as the basis for what we can perceive and comprehend in higher modes of thinking. We are gaining more and more refined conceptual instrumentation which can resonate with various aspects of higher worlds. Similarly, meditative and non-meditative investigation of higher worlds are not completely separate. The approaches are certainly different and we should maintain strict boundaries between them, i.e. we shouldn't use higher consciousness to navigate the sensory world, but the approaches and knowledge should also be complementing one another the entire way, bridging the gap. What I imaginatively discern from my inner life should elucidate what I gain from outer conceptual reasoning and vice versa, each one giving living feedback on how to adjust and improve the other. It is very much the same as all polar relations, such as our spiritual activity and its impressions into written texts :)

(...)

I hesitate to keep debating the Steiner lecture, because clearly the question is whether there actually is a discontinuity, not whether Steiner says there is one or not. I am curious what you think about Cleric's post about the continuity between spiritual activity impressed in airwaves and that same activity impressed in the sand (paper, etc.), for ex.

I am pretty confused as to how you say the mention of writing at the end of the lecture is completely tangential, though. Let's take one more look at that last paragraph.

"If true presentations of spiritual-scientific material, for example, are examined, 8 it will be found that the true spiritual scientists who have written these things also seriously worked on them to form each sentence creatively, that the position of the verb is not an arbitrary decision."

The formation of sentences and positioning of verbs is exactly what we have been calling 'syntax'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax
In linguistics, syntax (/ˈsɪntæks/)[1][2] is the study of how words and morphemes combine to form larger units such as phrases and sentences. Central concerns of syntax include word order, grammatical relations, hierarchical sentence structure (constituency),[3] agreement, the nature of crosslinguistic variation, and the relationship between form and meaning (semantics).
Add to this the PoF quotes which also reference the syntax. And I can assure you he lectures on it in other places as well.

(...)

It seems to me that the careful reasoning you exemplify here can only be conducted by one who has already integrated the basics of what reality is, and how it arises, as per the PoF. It doesn't seem to be something that we can immediately and exclusively extract from mere observation. For instance, I doubt the naive realist would adhere to this logic. They would maybe accept that “there must be something else” which science has not yet discovered - as they would put it - but that this ‘something else’ is supra-sensory, I doubt they would accept, as a necessary logical consequence of observation. I am trying to say that this logical reasoning requires a pre-existing worldview, it descends from it. Yes, it provides a means to go beyond current conscious awareness, but only when the primacy of thinking as the supra-principle that brings reality to life is leveraged. Without such a foundation, the bridging cannot be acted, not exclusively from within the given. So I can’t see a real distinction between this supposedly pre-occurring phenomenology and the philosophy of freedom in itself.

“Our concept of 'etheric body', integrated into a living, holistic idea, is a real aspect of the etheric body itself and its functions in our experience.” Right, this is the one thing that I need to pin down and secure into place, and keep in focus all the time, so it doesn’t slip back to its dualistic nest while I'm not looking. Still not self-evident!
To recap - I do see, as you explain it, the role of logic in the spiraling together of maya and thought-nature of reality, as one of the two sides that can be activated. Only I don’t see how this can be done as a purely phenomenological step, prior to PoF.
Though the concept of gradient of experience is particularly useful to someone like me, who has a tendency to tidy up the playground conceptually, as it were, in a rigid way, and needs to take a more interactive approach to things. I see this same tendency at a higher magnitude in my parents for example, when I happen to have conceptual discussions with them. I consider myself much more fluid in comparison, but clearly I haven’t completed that work of freeing myself from that ingrained habit. I have to immerse myself more in the idea of unity in all its possible dimensions of manifestation.

Thanks for suggesting the appropriate next book! I am eager to move on to it, and especially one that explains the four bodies, why they are called bodies and more, like Theosophy seems to do (reading the lecture you have lately suggested about sickness, it became clear that I am lacking a basic understanding of these. Therefore I put the lecture on standby). However, I might need to stay a little longer with PoF. I cannot say I fully "made it through it" yet. I reread some chapters sometimes, hoping they will feel completely natural and straightforward, but it’s often not yet the case. I still have to go slowly, and I doubt I’d be able to properly explain everything organically to someone else including countering objections, which to me is the sign that I am not yet on top of things as I would like. On a side note, one thing I did catch at first reading, is the almost imperceptibly humorous strokes woven in the reasoning here and there. I imagine this is not the most common type of comment one can find on PoF, so I thought I would mention it. One such passage that I remember is:
Steiner wrote:Dualism makes the mistake of transferring the opposition of object and subject, which has meaning only within the perceptual realm, to purely fictitious entities outside this realm. Now the distinct and separate things within the perceptual field remain separated only so long as the perceiver refrains from thinking. For thinking cancels all separation and reveals it as due to purely subjective conditions.

Maybe I'm weird, but I find this humorous : ) No doubt this could be used in various situations, with spectacular effects on materialistic, scientistic, or gladiatorial pride : ) With this, I hope I’m not giving off the impression that such nuances are my main takeaway from the book. In fact, my idea was to soon go to your recent ‘PoF Summarized’ post and revisit the book content through that check. I will see if I find the time. I have to be careful with being carried away and spending time that I don’t have, even if I know this is the most important thing I am doing with my time. I have been shrinking down the time I used to put into work preparation, and although that’s been instructive, making me realize that I can do just as good or maybe even better work, with less preparation and more improvising, I shouldn’t push it too far. The other day I was late to an online meeting. That had never, ever happened before. The hard to admit truth is that I didn’t login to the meeting because I was lost somewhere here, reading… until a kind email popped up from the background, 9 minutes in... I want to be very careful not to fall into such amateur behavior again.

Back to PoF, a note I want to make that could be useful to new readers is this. It’s important to have two translations at hand. One can have a preferred one, but as soon as a sentence sounds dubious or difficult, it’s important to check alternatives and contrast. Because sometimes the translators are mistaken. Some of those mistakes are typos, but in other cases it is more substantial. For me this approach has proven useful on more than one occasion. Most often, comparing two translations is enough to intuit and clarify the meaning indirectly, in their intersection. Other times I had no other choice than checking the original text, which I can grasp, with effort. For example here, the two translations I was using are saying quite different things:

Translation 1:
The procedure is different when we examine knowledge, or rather the relation of man to the world which arises within knowledge.

Translation 2:
The process presents itself differently when knowledge, when the relationship of man to the world which arises I knowledge, is regarded.

It was then necessary to check the German text to see that the second translation is the correct one - although there’s a typo in it. It should have been: “the world which arises in knowledge”.

If one stays on the first translation only, one could get confused and wonder if something of the supposed difference between knowledge and the relationship of man to the world that arises in it, has been missed. But no, it’s obviously the same thing, and the first translation is misleading. What I am trying to say here is, when the text appears to be difficult, it might be worthwhile to check around, be creative and use whatever we have at our disposal, instead of getting stuck or just skip the difficulty.

Briefly to conclude, on the debated lecture on language, my fingertips are burning on the keyboard to counter-argument : ) but I want to refrain from further debate. I will only reassert that the question of discontinuity is not anymore relevant. I have moved past it, and realized that it’s my personal discontinuity. That’s why I wrote that my last comment on the lecture was at that point not so relevant anymore. Regarding Cleric’s post you are asking me to comment, I haven't found any with airwaves and sand, unless you mean his most recent one, with the advice of taking an interactive look at things? If so, I have already expressed what I think in my reply to that post:

Federica wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:44 pm On speech and writing, it does look very simple in this context. Rather than the relation between the two, we see that they are both expressions of the same process of impression, in which they are united. Because absolutely everything is meaning, even the voids between words are, and any discontinuity is riverbed constraints.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:14 pm

I've been on a serious bus ride for at least 25 years that is surely going to a center from which my appreciation of the diversity has only increased. This has been a source of continuous expansion of my contact/communion with truth, goodness and beauty. In this sense, I'm already on the bus with you appreciating your dialogue with Ashvin. In the big sense, I'm not bus-hopping at all. We are already in the adventure together. In the more specific sense of location, seat and window, yes, I am satisfied with my ever-expanding view. I don't think you want to change seats and neither do I. This does not imply a lack of respect.
Lou, if you have been going buses non-stop for 25 years, without ever feeling the need to ring the bell, get off, and come to any places, because you trust the bus itself will tell you where to go and get you to a center... well, I guess there's not much more I can add. Apart perhaps that, if we don't actively get off, there's usually only one place buses go after all the stops and the terminus, and that's typically not close to any centers, and not very conducive to communion with beauty and goodness either. To your advantage, one could say that you fully live up to the saying "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey". But I doubt there is a sense in which we are in the adventure together. The adventure starts when you get off the bus, in the office, and start the job, and that's where you'll find me, if you ever decide to end the endless riding around.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:15 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:14 pm

Lou, if you have been going buses non-stop for 25 years, without ever feeling the need to ring the bell, get off, and come to any places, because you trust the bus itself will tell you where to go and get you to a center... well, I guess there's not much more I can add. Apart perhaps that, if we don't actively get off, there's usually only one place buses go after all the stops and the terminus, and that's typically not close to any centers, and not very conducive to communion with beauty and goodness either. To your advantage, one could say that you fully live up to the saying "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey". But I doubt there is a sense in which we are in the adventure together. The adventure starts when you get off the bus, in the office, and start the job, and that's where you'll find me, if you ever decide to end the endless riding around.
Oh, Federica, I do get that you think I'm on a tour bus while you are working hard at the office. I've already done my office time, paid my dues and received my social security pension. All I can report from my present seat on an elder branch is that the view is quite liminal and I feel tremendously grateful. In Santo Daime the spiritual saying is Bons Trabalhos, meaning "good works to you!" May your efforts bear good fruits, bring satisfaction to you and gifts to the world.