Criticism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Ben Iscatus

Re: Criticism

Post by Ben Iscatus »

He's pretty straightforward that 'war' is a good metaphor for how he views his mission at this point. I do see him at war, intellectually and emotionally, with others and with himself.
An excellent point, FB.
I would certainly bet my money that he will eventually be inspired to have debates on more specific issues with those who disagree.
I wouldn't. I think that by nature he's pretty reticent about expressing himself on other issues. Time will tell.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

JeffreyW wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:33 amIt’s late here and I’m going to bed but will be happy to return tomorrow to answer all the questions. I’m looking forward to an interesting discussion. In addition, if any of you would like to discuss this live on my YouTube channel, I’d be glad to host it.\
Hey Jeffrey ... Welcome to this daemon's den of idealism ;) ... Strangely enough, I dreamt last night that you'd make an appearance here (those firing neurons are such clever little buggers!), and look forward to your participation, and an offering of some elucidation on your ideation, both on the topic of your critique of BK, and in other topic threads as well. I do have some questions for you, more related to your take on the essence of music—being a fellow guitarist—and how it relates to the fundamental, primal 'ideation' at the root of idealism. But that may better be addressed in a separate thread, when I can get around to feeling able and inspired to articulate the questions.

Kind regards
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

JeffreyW wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:33 am Mark: Vielen Dank für die Einladung!

It’s late here and I’m going to bed but will be happy to return tomorrow to answer all the questions. I’m looking forward to an interesting discussion. In addition, if any of you would like to discuss this live on my YouTube channel, I’d be glad to host it.\
I did not think you would show, so I removed my video.
Here is just a small starting-point to start a discussion.
Schoen, dass Du doch gekommen bist, JW.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:08 pm I did not think you would show, so I removed my video.
Here is just a small starting-point to start a discussion.
Schoen, dass Du doch gekommen bist, JW.
Mark ... Seems that is a video take on the dark void of silence ... or presumably it's a technical glitch in the recording process?
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:28 pm
Mark Tetzner wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:08 pm
Mark ... Seems that is a video take on the dark void of silence ... or presumably it's a technical glitch in the recording process?
Dana, it has perfect audio on my end.
I am optimistic that a convo between BK and JW will happen.
If JW also has a TOE there could even be a chance that Curt Jamungal
could maybe moderate it, it will automatically get a very high amount
of views.
Just dreaming of course.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Thanks Mark ... hearing the audio now, so not sure what happened there, so hopefully Jeff will respond. Like you, I'm also curious as to how he comes to conceive of some fundamental primal Will, as per Schopenhauer, absent any experiential element, i.e. what does willing even mean without that—unless 'to will' has some much different connotation in German than I am familiar with?
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

No. Will and Wille are the same, the problem seems to be in what Schopenhauer meant, and they seem to not agree on it.
And most of us have not read Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung.
I think JW even said at some point that according to Schopenhauer "the will" is mindless, hope I am not misquoting him,
but that is another element that did not add up for me.
I think JW followed up somewhat sayin "Schopenhauer made it very clear"....so that I guess if read correctly in JWs view
there is no mind inside the will, so to speak, and now I guess JW can point us to those quotes etc and maybe we all
have to buy that sucker of a book :)

One thing is for sure in my mind: someone(s) has to prove that they really did their homework on Schopenhauer.
He was either an idealist or he wasnt, he can not have been both. :idea:

Dana, what about the convo-outline between JW and BK.
2 episodes, one about Schopp
enhauer and one about Rovellli etc?
I propose the Schoppenhauer-one comes first and the intro should
be about clarifying what "metaphysics" is, and then slowly but surely
delve into what made our friend Arturo tick. And then take it from there
or something.
hihihihi-#sneakyus!
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:48 pm Thanks Mark ... hearing the audio now, so not sure what happened there, so hopefully Jeff will respond. Like you, I'm also curious as to how he comes to conceive of some fundamental primal Will, as per Schopenhauer, absent any experiential element, i.e. what does willing even mean without that—unless 'to will' has some much different connotation in German than I am familiar with?

Sounds like the guy doesn't like pure instinctive will, but also keeps thinking in the blind spot, so he feels the need to redefine "will" as it is used in German idealism. But, like you, I doubt BK will be commenting on any of these things until our next incarnation :) So we may as well start thinking about it for ourselves.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:42 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:48 pm Thanks Mark ... hearing the audio now, so not sure what happened there, so hopefully Jeff will respond. Like you, I'm also curious as to how he comes to conceive of some fundamental primal Will, as per Schopenhauer, absent any experiential element, i.e. what does willing even mean without that—unless 'to will' has some much different connotation in German than I am familiar with?

Sounds like the guy doesn't like pure instinctive will, but also keeps thinking in the blind spot, so he feels the need to redefine "will" as it is used in German idealism. But, like you, I doubt BK will be commenting on any of these things until our next incarnation :) So we may as well start thinking about it for ourselves.
JW can be in places interpretet as if he maybe had "German philosophy" either at university or has been an avid student of them during his life under the bridge (referencing something he wrote on his blog). It would be interesting to find out more about his background, JW, in which language did you read the "Germans" etc, how many did you read, can you share about your background :?:
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:42 pm But, like you, I doubt BK will be commenting on any of these things until our next incarnation :)
I'll have my Muse make nice with his Daemon, and maybe they'll get them together to do lunch sometime 🥰