Criticism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Mark Tetzner

Criticism

Post by Mark Tetzner »

This criticism of Bernardo´s work is interesting, maybe one day he can write a blog-post on it?
Mark Tetzner

Re: Criticism

Post by Mark Tetzner »

I think this is the only criticicism of Bernardos work that really has some substance in some places, or not. By that I mean substance for a debate or blog-post to exchange ideas. I am not seeking for a war, but a replique by Bernardo, in case he feels the same on his blog. This forum is here so we can order stuff, right?
BK, I read you dont enage with the public anymore, we are still tryyyyying!!
:=)
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:52 pm I think this is the only criticicism of Bernardos work that really has some substance in some places, or not. By that I mean substance for a debate or blog-post to exchange ideas. I am not seeking for a war, but a replique by Bernardo, in case he feels the same on his blog. This forum is here so we can order stuff, right?
In the 10 months since this forum was created, BK has made a total of 5 posts, all of them a few months ago. So don't count on any prospect that he is likely to become actively engaged here. If he comes across the video critique at all, it might be because someone brings it directly to his attention, which you can try to do by sending him a PM. But even then, I doubt that he would bother with any kind of response to the critique. I brought some similar critique to his attention on his twitter account a few months ago, and he didn't acknowledge it at all.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
idlecuriosity

Post by idlecuriosity »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:46 pm
Mark Tetzner wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:52 pm I think this is the only criticicism of Bernardos work that really has some substance in some places, or not. By that I mean substance for a debate or blog-post to exchange ideas. I am not seeking for a war, but a replique by Bernardo, in case he feels the same on his blog. This forum is here so we can order stuff, right?
In the 10 months since this forum was created, BK has made a total of 5 posts, all of them a few months ago. So don't count on any prospect that he is likely to become actively engaged here. If he comes across the video critique at all, it might be because someone brings it directly to his attention, which you can try to do by sending him a PM. But even then, I doubt that he would bother with any kind of response to the critique. I brought some similar critique to his attention on his twitter account a few months ago, and he didn't acknowledge it at all.
Pretty much. I come here more or less exclusively for the purpose of learning from Cleric and Ashvin's posts, although my initial leaning was into hoping BK was a regular and could answer my questions
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

I doubt that he would bother with any kind of response to the critique. I brought some similar critique to his attention on his twitter account a few months ago, and he didn't acknowledge it at all.
But let's not forget that his interviews are to just about anybody - as you say, even those with just a few followers. And he doesn't hold back at all- personal stuff included. That's democratic! There's nothing left to give. My beef would be with the interviewers, who mostly don't seem to have a powerful enough list of queries or nuanced points for elucidation.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Actually, Jeffrey Williams (Too Late for the Gods) posted an earlier video on his breakdown of BK's interview with Craig Reed, which has already been shared on BK's twitter, asking for his thoughts about it, and which got no response from BK ...

Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

I glanced at the video some and wish that when videos get posted someone would sum up the main argument in a few sentences. Then a reader could decide if investment of an hour or more on some heads talking on a screen would be worth the time.

In BK's defense, I think trying to talk about any monism is difficult. If everything is one thing, how is it that many things come out of it?

That being said, there always arises several difficulties in talking about BK's philosophy that are not actually valid criticisms of the philosophy itself.

The main difficulty is the confusion that inevitably arises between personal consciousness (alter) and external consciousness (mind at large), although, probably more accurately the two are really more like the inside and outside of shirt.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:46 pm
no worries, Dana. I am pretty sure that he is reading the forum, but imagine Stephen king (bitsy higher scale than BK) would have to engage with everone personally, I can get that he doesnt, but if he feels a valuable piece of content would flow from it I am sure he will pick it up.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:27 pmBut let's not forget that his interviews are to just about anybody - as you say, even those with just a few followers. And he doesn't hold back at all- personal stuff included. That's democratic! There's nothing left to give. My beef would be with the interviewers, who mostly don't seem to have a powerful enough list of queries or nuanced points for elucidation.
True enough ... Who knows if Jeffrey Williams (Too Late for the Gods) has extended an invite to BK, whose approach to doing interviews would seem to be based on simply getting an invitation, with little regard as to how 'high profile' the interviewer may be, or numbers of potential viewers. Case in point, a chat with Jordan Peterson—which BK has said he would be open to— would garner a lot of attention, but as long as no invite is forthcoming from JP, Bernardo is not about to pursue it just for the sake of publicity. The most recent interview is with a guy who has about 30 YT subscribers, the full version only available to Patreon donators. Personally, I'm most eagerly awaiting the invite from Ashvin, albeit AP may first have to create a youtube channel :o
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:23 pm
Ben Iscatus wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:27 pmBut let's not forget that his interviews are to just about anybody - as you say, even those with just a few followers. And he doesn't hold back at all- personal stuff included. That's democratic! There's nothing left to give. My beef would be with the interviewers, who mostly don't seem to have a powerful enough list of queries or nuanced points for elucidation.
True enough ... Who knows if Jeffrey Williams (Too Late for the Gods) has extended an invite to BK, whose approach to doing interviews would seem to be based on simply getting an invitation, with little regard as to how 'high profile' the interviewer may be, or numbers of potential viewers. Case in point, a chat with Jordan Peterson—which BK has said he would be open to— would garner a lot of attention, but as long as no invite is forthcoming from JP, Bernardo is not about to pursue it just for the sake of publicity. The most recent interview is with a guy who has about 30 YT subscribers, the full version only available to Patreon donators. Personally, I'm most eagerly awaiting the invite from Ashvin, albeit AP may first have to create a youtube channel :o
:) I would be up for creating a channel for the sole purpose of asking BK questions and raising our various objections to his critical idealism. But I have a feeling the guy with 30 YT subscribers had an infinitely better chance of getting BK to accept than I would have. I would explain the nature of my inquiry to BK beforehand, so as not to surprise him with a "gotcha" interview, and that would probably be the end of discussion.
Last edited by AshvinP on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"