Criticism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Criticism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:26 pmA central question to be sure. Let me now just say that I intend to respond to every post directed to me but, not all at one sitting. I respect your questions and opinions too much to simply throw out glib responses, and prefer to give then the thought and time they deserve. I will get to this later today.
No hurry ... To be honest, any philosophical case, however cogent and comprehensive, that is made for the primacy of consciousness remains mostly ancillary for this psyche—albeit useful for placing it in a conceptual framework for the purposes of discussion in the context of a forum like this—since long before coming across such a case, the primacy of consciousness was utterly and indelibly impressed upon this psyche by certain revelatory realizations of the kind the mystics allude to, and which pretty much defies any definitive languaging of it. So whatever counter-case may be presented, however cogent and comprehensive, I must fully concede is highly unlikely to supplant the latter. But of course, feel free to present it nonetheless. 🙏
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
JeffreyW

Post by JeffreyW »

“Is it wise to reference philosophers who did not have at their disposal all the things we know from physics and biology today?
After all, they can not interpret the situation as we can.

I am saying this with something in mind that BK said the other day, that QFT is the most successful theory ever, just as an example.
They did not know of QFT.”

It is. They were the foundations upon which are current knowledge of physics and biology rests and inform us of the current strengths and weaknesses of our understanding, which is far from the last word.

I would disagree that QFT is the most successful. It is the most elementary but still incomplete. I would say the QM is the most successful as our modern world is built on the electronics it enables, but nobody actually understands it.

“Does it make sense to say on the one hand that we can not know and on the other hand denounce ontological primitves like mind?
I think you said yourself physics seems to point at an ontological primitive. And then you said "if such a thing even exists". Does it not make sense to argue for "one", be it one universal mind, one garbage-universe, or whatever oneness?”

No, I don’t think we can make any meaningful objective declarations or definitions beyond the energy that enables us to be conscious. We can’t even meaningfully speak of the existence of ontological primitives because such a thing would be outside of and in accessible through our conditions of thought. Anything we might attempt to say would necessarily be formed according to space, time and causality, which doesn’t exist. An example of Kant’s Transcendental Illusion.

“And:
What reveals itself again is the error of metaphysics. It attempts to speak what we cannot say. To define the unknowable most elementary base of existence as consciousness is as meaningless as defining it as fairyland. Both are mere anthropomorphic projections from inside out locked cage of human representation.

One could hold against that that consciousness is not a projection, it is a fact, fairyland is not. And speculating this is what the universe is all about. Does that make it an antromorphic projection? and not for example an inference? I think an anthromorpic projection would be to say the universe is like us or a personal God. The idealistic argument is that experience is the only ontic category that we know to be really exist as a fact. Why is this speculation less valuable than to posit, as I think you said in your video, that maybe superpositional states result in al kinds of things including consciousness? "The error of metaphysics", as it stands, is just an assertion to me right now potentially begging the question of materialism. My personal speculation is that "one mind" does not get into some peoples heads. But there is nothing strange about it, at least to me.”

That there is nothing strange about it is the first clue it is false. It attempts to describe a reality so strange we cannot conceptualize it. Transcendental Illusion is almost always an inference from our experience, such as the question of finite/infinite universe, which infers from our spatial/temporal/causal experience to something where such conditions are absent.

I would like to understand more your suggestion that the error of metaphysics might be begging the question of materialism.

“Along the same lines: The fairyland-sentence: This seems to imply the belief that whatever we could possibly speculate always has to be meaningless. I dont see why you think its meaningless to begin with. To me, speculations could always be wrong. But to declare the wrong only because they could be wrong does not have much purchase for me.”

As I wrote above, because our speculations are conditioned by factors that don’t exist fundamentally. We simply aren’t equipped to conceptualize this. This brings up one of Kastrup’s false dichotomy: material/ideal. The only real demarcation is what we are able to grasp within the small band of existence in which we evolved and our inability to grasp the reality beyond that in any representational way.

“There

Its early here and I have to rush. But one thing I remember from your video but only vaguely. It was one X and one Y and you caid they can not be reconciled into "one". Can you remind me/us and elaborate on that, that was interesting. It made me doubt what you said but I also did not really unerstand it.”

I just don’t know what you are referring to here.

“There seem to be 2 conflicting definitions of metaphysics.

The one most here would presumably subscribe to is this one: Its just a way to analytically get behind the ontic nature of the world.
A part of philosophy.

You seem to say that we have to stick with German philosophers who dealt with the subject-matter first, meaning that the term is already
begging the question in favor of e.g. idealism, because a transcendent cause or first principle is already considered a given.
That about right?”

Not really. The German notion of metaphysics sticks closer to the original Greek meaning of transcendental reality of which the physical world is merely a shadow. The essential feature is it displaces reality and truth to an imaginary plane beyond the physical world. It happened at the time of Socrates when φύσις decayed into physics and metaphysics, blocking the grounding of truth in our reality.

“Do you self-identify as anything....are you a materialist or...”

Simple semi-literate biker who lives under a bridge.

“How do you solve materialisms main-problem, that, as many here would argue, materialists are trying to pull experience from an abstraction-space?”

I would say they misunderstand the question. Materialism, with its connotation of matter, is obsolete. I pull understanding from experience of the physical world esthetically in the original sense of φύσις and λόγος .

“What value do you grant to our human experience when potentially figuring things out, be it meditating on a mountain, taking certain substances etc?”

The entirety of whatever value can exist, and would include all esthetic experience such as music, art and poetry.

“Is it conceivable for you say you took whatever substance to change your world-view after the experience? Why or why not?”

I would say that psychedelic mushrooms facilitated the process by showing me how elastic and tenuous consciousness is.

“What also comes to mind you said that the way this world is can not even be grasped. There is this famous idea that scripture
is the "finger pointing at the moon", the moon indeed is the ineffable and can not be grasped so you need a story to illustrate
the ungraspable.”

Indeed. That is what poetic metaphor is for.

“Last but not least: You are saying that Schopenhauer was not an idealist? If so, why did he say what I posted under your video and why did he own a dog named Atman? :D

There is no laughing in philosophy.
JeffreyW

Post by JeffreyW »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 am This criticism of Bernardo´s work is interesting, maybe one day he can write a blog-post on it?

Jeffrey Williams
Fri, Nov 12, 3:33 PM (1 day ago)
Mr. Kastrup. My name is Jeffrey Williams and I run a blog and YouTube channel - Too Late For the Gods, where I recently presented two videos critiquing your Met

Bernardo Kastrup
6:34 AM (10 hours ago)

to me

Dear Jeffrey,
Thanks for your kind invitation. Bernardo has been trying to reduce the number of interviews he gives, since he has given a lot of them, discussing largely the same things, and it taxes him. For this reason we are, regrettably, having to focus on channels that reach a larger audience. Maybe we can reconsider this again in a year or so. In any case, we appreciate your interest.
Kind regards,
EF.

http://www.bernardokastrup.com
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

The question at the bottom line is really simple actually. We all have factual observables: the phenomena of conscious experience which are the sense perceptions, feeling, thoughts bearing ideas and meanings, imaginations, acts of will brining some of these phenomena to existence. And this is all we have as observables, and nothing more, this is undeniable fact of our direct experience. Now, the philosophical question is: is there anything in reality that by nature is fundamentally different from these consciously-observable phenomena, whatever it could be? We can make assumptions about the existence of such phenomena or noumena or fundamentals, but there is no way we can ever prove their existence, because we can never experience them directly. And there is an obvious and undeniable possibility that such phenomena or noumena simply do not exist in any ontological sense, and all there is to reality is only phenomena of conscious experience. The last statement is called "idealism", where the term "consciousness" is simply a label for the entire set of all observable conscious phenomena we can ever experience. If we are to suggest a positive answer to the ontological problem at all, of all such possible answers that philosophy has offered so far, the idealist answer is the simplest and most elegant (in other words, the most "parsimonious").

JF, what you are describing is another possible approach to the problem, which can be labelled as mysterianism or agnosticism, where we admit that our human cognitive ability is simply insufficient and inappropriate to even approach the ontological question of what the reality fundamentally is. It would be like a dog trying to understand math. I have nothing against it, and I agree that such position is the most pragmatic. We can perfectly live and survive in the world without answering the ontological question, it is irrelevant to our way of existence. But if we take such pragmatic position, ironically we arrive back to idealism. Why? Because the world we actually live in and experience is exactly the world of the conscious phenomena. We do not experience directly anything apart from conscious phenomena. All the "external" world of material objects that we think we live in is entirely our projection and fairyland fantasy, and we have no way to prove that it is real. But why do we even need such fantasy? Does it serve any pragmatic purpose? Many people think that it does, but I do not think so, IMO it's just a cognitive habit that actually creates more problems than it solves (but that's a different topic). Anyway, if we take such agnostic and pragmatic approach, we find that all that is relevant to our life is the reality we actually live in - the world of our conscious phenomena, or "consciousness" to use a simple word for it. And science is only a set of mathematical and cognitive models that simply describe and approximate the patterns of these phenomena. From a pragmatic standpoint we do not actually need to assume the existence of any other realities that are by nature different from conscious phenomena that we directly experience as observables (be it matter, shmatter, Kantian noumenon or neutral ontic fundamental or whatever). This version of idealism is not ontological (we refrain from making any statements about what the reality fundamentally is), it is simply a pragmatic worldview about the world that we actually experience and the world we actually live in - the world of the phenomena of our direct conscious experiences.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 pm There is no laughing in philosophy.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:31 pm Jeffrey Williams
Mr. Kastrup. My name is Jeffrey Williams and I run a blog and YouTube channel - Too Late For the Gods, where I recently presented two videos critiquing your Met

Bernardo Kastrup

to me

Dear Jeffrey,
Thanks for your kind invitation. Bernardo has been trying to reduce the number of interviews he gives, since he has given a lot of them, discussing largely the same things, and it taxes him. For this reason we are, regrettably, having to focus on channels that reach a larger audience. Maybe we can reconsider this again in a year or so. In any case, we appreciate your interest.
Kind regards,
EF.
Of course, while it may be true that BK gets more interview requests than he can fulfill, this claim of focusing on channels with large audiences is simply not true, given that many recent interviews have been granted to channels with no more subscribers than yours, and some with fewer views than your recent video from Aug 24/21. In any case, I doubt that whatever BK might have to say would vary greatly from what he has said in other interviews, or written in Decoding Schopenhauer's Metaphysics, from which one can pretty much glean any rebuttal he may have to offer face-to-face.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:51 pm
JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:31 pm Jeffrey Williams

Bernardo Kastrup

to me

Dear Jeffrey,
Kind regards,
EF.
Of course, while it may be true that BK gets more interview requests than he can fulfill, this claim of focusing on channels with large audiences is simply not true, given that many recent interviews have been granted to channels with no more subscribers than yours, and some with fewer views than your recent video from Aug 24/21. In any case, I doubt that whatever BK might have to say would vary greatly from what he has said in other interviews, or written in Decoding Schopenhauer's Metaphysics, from which one can pretty much glean any rebuttal he may have to offer face-to-face.

Agreed, and I would add that JW's criticisms here of BK's idealism have been spot on and, similar to the criticisms Cleric and myself have posted here, really cannot be countered with logical argument. That is why I suspect the interview won't happen (and I hope that I am wrong). BK's idealism is simply the Schop variation of Kant's transcendental idealism - Schop kept "I had to get rid of knowledge" and substituted "to make room for faith" with "to make room for [mystical] pessimism" (JW may disagree about Schop, but the underlying point remains). Both metaphysical formulations are so vague and abstract as to be practically meaningless, not much unlike materialist ontology. BUT, and this is a big BUT, indeed the biggest metaphysical BUT...

Kant smuggled Cartesian dualism into his epistemology and the associated non-existent 3rd-person "neutral observer" perspective. It is that dualism which regards our ideational activity as something altogether different from sense-perception, and there is no justification for that under a consistent idealism. That is how Kant feels justified in claiming there is "pure reason" which does not deal with sense-perception whatsoever. Goethe, however, realized that our reasoning ideation perceives ideas just as our eyes perceives colors. True knowing, then, is adding the one-half content provided by outward sense-perception to the one-half content provided by inward ideation to reach a total unity of content for any given phenomenal relation.

With that slight correction, human representational cognition in our current time is salvaged from the abyss of nihilism on all sides of the materialist-dualist-idealist spectrum. There are still limits to that representational cognition, but not to knowing itself. Moreover, the representational cognition is 'continuous' with higher modes of imaginative, inspirative, and intuitive cognition, which are essentially non-representational. It really doesn't matter if we accept the existence of those higher modes right now, though, because it's not the sort of thing which can be usefully held as abstract truth anyway. What is important is that we perceive the inner logic of why human knowing is abolutely critical to the constitution of what we call the "phenomenal world" and how there is a true point of contact between the noumenon and phenomenon in our own normal thinking activity.

Our spiritual (thinking) activity is the only activity where the phenomenal appearances and the noumenal 'thing-in-itself' are unified. This equivalence is known because it is our activity which produces the phenomena. For all other perceptions we can ask, "what is the meaning of this object? why do I perceive this object? what stands behind this perception?" For our thought-forms, these questions are answered by the very nature of thinking. I know what they mean because it is my idea projected into the thought-forms. I know why I perceive them because I will the thought-forms into existence. I know that it is my own ideating activity which stands behind the thought-forms!
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 pm

That there is nothing strange about it is the first clue it is false. It attempts to describe a reality so strange we cannot conceptualize it. Transcendental Illusion is almost always an inference from our experience, such as the question of finite/infinite universe, which infers from our spatial/temporal/causal experience to something where such conditions are absent.
The first sentence really made me cringe a little. Also, idealism postulates a mental universe, I think that is extremely easy to conceptualize.We are not trying to describe what it is like to be the universe because we dont know.
And can I ask for the third time on what I have pressed you on in vain so far: Are you denying Schopenhauer is an idealist?
Thanks JW.

Dana: but again, if on a Sunday morning Bernardo wants to talk to someone with one subscriber he can do that, its his life and he can always make exceptions. Maybe he likes Seeking I or whatever. I find it strange that someone should be obligated to discuss. I was more thinking that there is philosophical substance here, so he can create a piece of content out of it if he wants to. Bernardo is not Stephen King or anything but he has sold a few hundred or a few thousand books and you can not simply say make time for me.

JW said:
“How do you solve materialisms main-problem, that, as many here would argue, materialists are trying to pull experience from an abstraction-space?”

I would say they misunderstand the question. Materialism, with its connotation of matter, is obsolete. I pull understanding from experience of the physical world esthetically in the original sense of φύσις and λόγος .

Mark says: you are talking mainstream-materialism, I am talking materialists say matter is quantitative. the qualities of experience are generated by the brain which is the organ that produces consciousness supposedly.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:00 am Dana: but again, if on a Sunday morning Bernardo wants to talk to someone with one subscriber he can do that, its his life and he can always make exceptions. Maybe he likes Seeking I or whatever. I find it strange that someone should be obligated to discuss. I was more thinking that there is philosophical substance here, so he can create a piece of content out of it if he wants to. Bernardo is not Stephen King or anything but he has sold a few hundred or a few thousand books and you can not simply say make time for me.
Mark ... I'm not claiming that BK should limit interviews to channels with large audiences. That claim was made in the response to JW's request for an interview, I quote:

Dear Jeffrey,
Kind regards,
EF.

So I'm just pointing out that such a claim is dubious, given that BK has granted recent interviews to channels with a following, in terms of subscribers, no larger than JW's channel. With a few high profile exceptions like Buddha at the Gas Pump, New Thinking Allowed, The Michael Shermer Show, The Chopra Well, and Jaimungal's TOE channel, the vast majority of BK's interviews get between 2,000-6,000 views over time, showing that while he attracts an audience larger than the subscriber base of the interviewers, they are not generally in the 'larger' audience category. And I suspect that an interview with JW would follow that pattern. If he's really interested in a large audience, and plugging books, which I'm not sure he is, then he should be following up on the suggestion that he chat with Jordan Peterson with his 4.24 million subscribers. Case in point, the chat between Peterson and Jonathon Pageau, delving into the concepts of conscience, narrating objective reality, the perfect mode of being, the responsibility to move things towards the divine, the inevitability of religion, etc, is currently at 1.6 million views.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Obviously. But it is normal that requests get decined, looking for a job, ,trying to sell stuff...they can all contain potentially white lies they are often just a sign of brushing someone off. It would not be professional to say: you called me a cult-leader and my philosophy "amateurish", I would lure you into an ambush if I could...

1.6 Million views: Yes if he can get on that show that would get him ahead. Maybe sell a few hundred books on autopilot.

That things change over time is also possible. Notice how recently his conversations are 4 or 5 hours long? I can imagine it can get a bit "taxing". All I have been trying to say all along is: If someone rejects a request for an interview that is that persons right, he need not justify. "I dont want to" is enough. The rejected person will then be hurt and say soandso wussed out....even though maybe he insultet the other person (and maybe not).... reapeat ad infinitum....
At the end of the day, gotta live with it.