Can Idealism be without thought?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Can Idealism be without thought?

Post by Lou Gold »

That's the question.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Re: Can Idealism be without thought?

Post by SanteriSatama »

It is a metaphysical position expressed in language, in that sense no. But perhaps that was not what you were really asking?

Is sentience as such dependent from matter and/or sapience? I would suggest not.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Nothing can be without consciousness, including ideas, which is the point of the idea of idealism.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:36 pm Nothing can be without consciousness, including ideas, which is the point of the idea of idealism.
Can consciousness be without mentation?

Can reason be without thinking?
It is a metaphysical position expressed in language, in that sense no. But perhaps that was not what you were really asking?
I definitely was not asking about expression in language.
Last edited by Lou Gold on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenV

Post by MaartenV »

advaita vedanta talks about pure awareness, without any thought. That's the real you.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

MaartenV wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:59 pm advaita vedanta talks about pure awareness, without any thought. That's the real you.
I agree!

The question, however, is whether a 'Western Non-dualism' or 'rational spiritualism' is possible.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Under idealism Consciousness is the ontological primitive. The activity of this fundamental, irreducible Consciousness, i.e. its 'mentation'/'ideation', is its ontological imperative ~ as inextricable as formlessness><form. I'd suggest that any reasoning is a function of it being meta-conscious.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 pm Under idealism Consciousness is the ontological primitive. The activity of this fundamental, irreducible Consciousness, i.e. its 'mentation'/'ideation', is its ontological imperative ~ as inextricable as formlessness><form. I'd suggest that any reasoning is a function of it being meta-conscious.
Process philosophy does not support the ideation of any ontological primitive in the first place, substance is not presumed. The problem with substance metaphysics, which also Bernardo runs into, is projection of meta-cognition into infinite regress of nesting with cosmic solipsism on top. The lonely navel gazing god as the experiencER that experiencing supposedly requires. Whether this is intended or not, it's an image hard to avoid when starting from substance metaphysics.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Under idealism Consciousness is the ontological primitive. The activity of this fundamental, irreducible Consciousness, i.e. its 'mentation'/'ideation', is its ontological imperative ~ as inextricable as formlessness><form. I'd suggest that any reasoning is a function of it being meta-conscious
Did you just violate your initial observation? >>>
It is a metaphysical position expressed in language, in that sense no.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:28 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 pm Under idealism Consciousness is the ontological primitive. The activity of this fundamental, irreducible Consciousness, i.e. its 'mentation'/'ideation', is its ontological imperative ~ as inextricable as formlessness><form. I'd suggest that any reasoning is a function of it being meta-conscious.
Process philosophy does not support the ideation of any ontological primitive in the first place, substance is not presumed. The problem with substance metaphysics, which also Bernardo runs into, is projection of meta-cognition into infinite regress of nesting with cosmic solipsism on top. The lonely navel gazing god as the experiencER that experiencing supposedly requires. Whether this is intended or not, it's an image hard to avoid when starting from substance metaphysics.
Yes! Very hard to avoid.