BK on Rebel Wisdom

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

BK on Rebel Wisdom

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Again, haven't actually watched this yet, and not really expecting much in the way of any significant departure from the usual Q&A, but at least reaching out to a significant subscriber base of 234k ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Re: BK on Rebel Wisdom

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Short and sweet.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Finally he´s at it again doing something useful....(ha ha).

With a rebel yell she cried more, more, more.
(Billy Idol)
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:51 pm Again, haven't actually watched this yet, and not really expecting much in the way of any significant departure from the usual Q&A, but at least reaching out to a significant subscriber base of 234k ...
It's excellent an excellent podcast and the Q&A is valuable. I appreciate that BK tells Matt Segal that he doesn't comprehend Whitehead. Neither do I but something in me intuits that W is correct.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:51 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:51 pm Again, haven't actually watched this yet, and not really expecting much in the way of any significant departure from the usual Q&A, but at least reaching out to a significant subscriber base of 234k ...
It's excellent an excellent podcast and the Q&A is valuable. I appreciate that BK tells Matt Segal that he doesn't comprehend Whitehead. Neither do I but something in me intuits that W is correct.

I have been interacting with Segal some on his discord server, and I can assure you he understands Whitehead better than BK. Matt has his own blind spots for sure, but he is more open-minded towards idealist thinkers like Steiner than BK is. That particular Q&A is very fascinating, because BK says Hegel and Whitehead are the two people he can't understand. No doubt both of them rely heavily on abstract intellectual formulations, but is it a coincidence that both seem to emphasize cognition as what fundamentally drives evolution? I doubt it. Actually, when we come to understand the fundamental significance of ideational activity in the world-evolving process, it becomes much easier to decipher all of these abstract philosophers and their conceptual systems. Many times they are referring directly to ideational activity with their concepts and sometimes they don't even realize it. This truly idea-list understanding serves as a Rosetta Stone for the abstract heiroglyphics of modern philosophy. I may need to write an essay on this soon if I find the time.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

A great quote Segall posted on Twitter:

“When, following the invisible steps of thought, we come to inquire, Whence is matter? & Whereto? many truths arise to us out of the recesses of consciousness. We learn that spirit creates; that behind nature, throughout nature, spirit is present; one & not compound, it does not act upon us from without in space & time, but spiritually, or through ourselves: therefore, that spirit, the Supreme Being, does not build up nature around us, but puts it forth through us, as the life of the tree puts forth new branches & leaves through the pores of the old.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:58 am
Lou Gold wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:51 pm

I have been interacting with Segal some on his discord server, and I can assure you he understands Whitehead better than BK. Matt has his own blind spots for sure, but he is more open-minded towards idealist thinkers like Steiner than BK is. That particular Q&A is very fascinating, because BK says Hegel and Whitehead are the two people he can't understand. No doubt both of them rely heavily on abstract intellectual formulations, but is it a coincidence that both seem to emphasize cognition as what fundamentally drives evolution? I doubt it. Actually, when we come to understand the fundamental significance of ideational activity in the world-evolving process, it becomes much easier to decipher all of these abstract philosophers and their conceptual systems. Many times they are referring directly to ideational activity with their concepts and sometimes they don't even realize it. This truly idea-list understanding serves as a Rosetta Stone for the abstract heiroglyphics of modern philosophy. I may need to write an essay on this soon if I find the time.
You may be correct, Ashvin, but the analysis is above my paygrade. All I can say is that for "naive me" Matt feels right.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:26 am A great quote Segall posted on Twitter:

“When, following the invisible steps of thought, we come to inquire, Whence is matter? & Whereto? many truths arise to us out of the recesses of consciousness. We learn that spirit creates; that behind nature, throughout nature, spirit is present; one & not compound, it does not act upon us from without in space & time, but spiritually, or through ourselves: therefore, that spirit, the Supreme Being, does not build up nature around us, but puts it forth through us, as the life of the tree puts forth new branches & leaves through the pores of the old.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Or, as my friend the Heitor Turrini, the Italian missionary who spent 57 years in the Amazon forest of Western Brazil, fighting for its people, plants and critters, puts it in less than a minute and a half ...