Patterns and Meaning in Music

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
JeffreyW

Re: Patterns and Meaning in Music

Post by JeffreyW »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:12 pm I've been thinking of starting a topic on the connection between music and metaphysics/ontology, whether as being immanent and integral, or more contingent, but I've been struggling to actually articulate the basis for a discussion. Then with the usual synchronicity, inspired by some recent comments about music by Jeffrey and Ashvin in the 'Criticism' thread, this interview popped up in the youtube feed, which may well serve as an initiator of that discussion better than any articulation that I can offer ... or not as the case may be, but surely worth a try ...

Miles Davis on reflection of his study at Julliard: “You have to learn all that stuff in order to be able to forget it.”

An interesting discussion between two brilliant people. I have a different take. My background includes two years of formal study of theory and composition, classical and jazz flute, and a ten year career playing jazz and blues guitar - that is mostly improvisation but with a classical education as well. The further I got into theory and analysis, the thinner the actual music became. When we abstract, we lose the ground from which music emerges. I finally gave up that study, and as Miles suggested, forgot it in a way. But also, that knowledge stayed in the background and at times aided my being able to translate what I heard into what I played. But unlike most so trained, I never consciously thought in patterns, forms, or analysis.

I saw three types of musicians surrounding me in jazz and blues: 1. At the lowest level, those who practiced a “vocabulary” of riffs they used to construct their performance; 2. Those who heard music in their heads which they consciously translated through their instruments; 3. The highest level of those who are acutely sensitive to the “vibrations” in the room and channel them unmediated by theory or artifice of any kind. Like Miles or John Coltrane. They barely even hear what they are playing, but are rather a pure conduit through which Being speaks. I have seen the same among the best poets, who afterwards couldn’t even tell you what the poem means. Rilke’s writing of the Duino Elegien is a great example - written in a matter of days and inexplicable to him afterwards.

I had several occasion where I experienced playing as a conduit to the vibrations, or ambient mood, and it was beyond description and by far the best I ever played.

In the recent past, music lost its ground, and therefore its reason for Being, culminating in the dreadful appearance of mathematical composition - the 12 tone row, now rightly forgotten. To me, music shows the true nature of Being and the impossibility of ever defining, categorizing, or capturing it in the eternal victory of the great musicians to defy all the prevailing rules. I see the history of Western music as the history of Being continually escaping these constraints, from the fussiness of Bach’s huge libido sublimated through Luther’s liturgy, to the atheist Beethoven revealing the overwhelming power of Being, from twinkling of the stars to the deeply disturbing movements of the bass, to the triumph of freedom we begin to see now, laughing at the sad foolishness of Schoenberg.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:56 am 3. The highest level of those who are acutely sensitive to the “vibrations” in the room and channel them unmediated by theory or artifice of any kind. Like Miles or John Coltrane. They barely even hear what they are playing, but are rather a pure conduit through which Being speaks.
Another one of those, my top favorite among jazzmen, is Alan Holdsworth
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:56 am Miles Davis on reflection of his study at Julliard: “You have to learn all that stuff in order to be able to forget it.”

An interesting discussion between two brilliant people. I have a different take. My background includes two years of formal study of theory and composition, classical and jazz flute, and a ten year career playing jazz and blues guitar - that is mostly improvisation but with a classical education as well. The further I got into theory and analysis, the thinner the actual music became. When we abstract, we lose the ground from which music emerges. I finally gave up that study, and as Miles suggested, forgot it in a way. But also, that knowledge stayed in the background and at times aided my being able to translate what I heard into what I played. But unlike most so trained, I never consciously thought in patterns, forms, or analysis.

I saw three types of musicians surrounding me in jazz and blues: 1. At the lowest level, those who practiced a “vocabulary” of riffs they used to construct their performance; 2. Those who heard music in their heads which they consciously translated through their instruments; 3. The highest level of those who are acutely sensitive to the “vibrations” in the room and channel them unmediated by theory or artifice of any kind. Like Miles or John Coltrane. They barely even hear what they are playing, but are rather a pure conduit through which Being speaks. I have seen the same among the best poets, who afterwards couldn’t even tell you what the poem means. Rilke’s writing of the Duino Elegien is a great example - written in a matter of days and inexplicable to him afterwards.

I had several occasion where I experienced playing as a conduit to the vibrations, or ambient mood, and it was beyond description and by far the best I ever played.

In the recent past, music lost its ground, and therefore its reason for Being, culminating in the dreadful appearance of mathematical composition - the 12 tone row, now rightly forgotten. To me, music shows the true nature of Being and the impossibility of ever defining, categorizing, or capturing it in the eternal victory of the great musicians to defy all the prevailing rules. I see the history of Western music as the history of Being continually escaping these constraints, from the fussiness of Bach’s huge libido sublimated through Luther’s liturgy, to the atheist Beethoven revealing the overwhelming power of Being, from twinkling of the stars to the deeply disturbing movements of the bass, to the triumph of freedom we begin to see now, laughing at the sad foolishness of Schoenberg.

The irony is that you just did (do the bold) to some extent, however limited, and beautifully. Which goes to show there is no inherent division between living reason, descriptive speech, and aesthetic knowledge. The only person who did not learn something about Being, however miniscule and incomplete, from what you wrote above is the person who decided it was impossible to learn something about Being from prosaic speech and their own reason before even reading it.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

In the jazz department, Mal Waldron is my current fascination.

Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Here's a selection for those who grew up in the 90s : )

7 o'clock in the morning, got a message from afar
Down under an oasis where there are dreams still being born
And summer spoke to winter relaying all encouraging words
And I was fully grateful mutant messages were heard

Moved on from my despondency and left it in the bed
Do I leave it there still sleeping or maybe kill it better yet
For this is no time for depression or self-indulgent hesitance
This fucked-up situation calls for all hands, hands on deck

Freedom is as freedom does and freedom is a verb
They giveth and they taketh and you fight to keep that what you've earned
We saw the destination, got so close before it turned
Swim sideways from this undertow and do not be deterred

Floodlight dreams go drifting past
All the lines we could've had
Distant loves floating above
Close these eyes, they've seen enough
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
JeffreyW

Post by JeffreyW »

Eugene I wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:39 am
JeffreyW wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:56 am 3. The highest level of those who are acutely sensitive to the “vibrations” in the room and channel them unmediated by theory or artifice of any kind. Like Miles or John Coltrane. They barely even hear what they are playing, but are rather a pure conduit through which Being speaks.
Another one of those, my top favorite among jazzmen, is Alan Holdsworth
He is definitely in that class.