Entanglement etc. Materialism vs. Idealism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Eugene I

Re: Entanglement etc. Materialism vs. Idealism

Post by Eugene I »

Jim Cross wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:12 pm My metaphysical belief system is anti-metaphysics. Similar to "none of the above".
Jim, do you realize that when you are responding to me, you already subscribed to a metaphysical belief that my mind (with its conscious experience) exists. But you have no way to prove or verify this experimentally, so it can only be a belief.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Jim, nice try engaging me again, but do not feel inclined to engage back.
Its boring. You can probably find agreements with JW.
Dear Mr. Shu, I read your announement, BK will not respond anymore and thats totally fine.
He has an anattractive cat and a fluffy wife.
May he enjoy it, he deserves some peace of mind.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:07 pm Dear Mr. Shu, I read your announement, BK will not respond anymore and thats totally fine.
He has an anattractive cat and a fluffy wife.
Oh my, I trust it was a typo, and you didn't mean to write "an unattractive cat and a 'fluffy' wife", in the sense that 'fluff' can mean 'superficial' ... If so, then that slight may well get him to re-engage here :mrgreen:

Interestingly, since BK recently linked to this forum from his twitter feed, seeming to spark an up-tick in new sign-ons, apparently he still considers the forum as more than just 'fluff', and worthy of attention, even as he added that he doesn't have time to participate in it. So yeah, it is what it is, and has been for quite a while, seeming unlikely to change, and new members might as well be aware of that right up front.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

he may be engaging only with me then!
I meant to write: an attractive cat and a fluffy wife.
fluffy.....all cats are fluffy, all towls are fluffy and so on.
switching out the adjectives, being funny and you get it right?
Last edited by Mark Tetzner on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:04 pm he may be engaging only with me then!
Looking forward to that interview :o

Getting back to something pertinent to the topic, I've been reading A Beautiful Question by Frank Wilczek, winner of the Nobel Prize in physics, which may be of interest to the physics buffs here, as well as the strictly philosophically inclined, given his deeply metaphysical musings.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:21 pm
Mark Tetzner wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:04 pm he may be engaging only with me then!
Looking forward to that interview :o
He may not be far away! :?
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Eugene I wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:15 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:12 pm My metaphysical belief system is anti-metaphysics. Similar to "none of the above".
Jim, do you realize that when you are responding to me, you already subscribed to a metaphysical belief that my mind (with its conscious experience) exists. But you have no way to prove or verify this experimentally, so it can only be a belief.
An idealist and a materialist were walking together and discussing their philosophies..

While the idealist was explaining that everything that appears to us to be physical is really mental, they passed near a train track.

"If you are really convinced of your metaphysics, then you could put yourself in the middle of the track and wait for the train," said the materialist.

The idealist answered back: "I might be an idealist but I'm not a fool".
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

Jim Cross wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 pm
Eugene I wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:15 pm
An idealist and a materialist were walking together and discussing their philosophies..

While the idealist was explaining that everything that appears to us to be physical is really mental, they passed near a train track.

"If you are really convinced of your metaphysics, then you could put yourself in the middle of the track and wait for the train," said the materialist.

The idealist answered back: "I might be an idealist but I'm not a fool".
Funny.
Do you have any Materialist jokes?
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

why was that funny?
:oops:
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 pm why was that funny?
:oops:
It's not really, but Jim clealy set it up as such. I'm now curious if - since he's a metaphysical nihilist by his own admission - he is willing to take cheap shots at Materialists as well.
"I don't understand." /Unknown