Message from BK

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: Message from BK

Post by Cleric K »

Starbuck wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm How about a category in the forum dedicated to Bernardos work? Im not really interested in Steiner or Whitehead or specific religions but would love to engage with others on analytic idealism in a more focused way?
I agree. A dedicated category will be nice. Although at this point I don't see how much further than the "What is alter?" thread it would go.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Starbuck wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm How about a category in the forum dedicated to Bernardos work? Im not really interested in Steiner or Whitehead or specific religions but would love to engage with others on analytic idealism in a more focused way?
We already have the topic-specific sub-section where one can start a discussion around a specific aspect of BK's ideas, and where any commentary that does not remain focused on that specific aspect will be moderated accordingly, and deleted if deemed too digressive from that specific aspect. So for example, if the topic were to be focused on an explication/elaboration of the 'cognitive big bang' as described in More Than Allegory, or a discussion about the psychedelic experiments explored in Dreamed Up Reality, or similar such topics, I would not be allowing commentary that tries to divert it into an opportunity to discuss the Kantian divide. However, if something about the cognitive big bang can be related to some aspect of another philosopher's work, then I would give some leeway for allowing that insofar as it remains relevant to the main topic.

But failing that, if there is still significant interest in a cloistered 'all-things-Bernardo' sub-section, devoid of any critical comparisons to other philosophers, religions, or shamanhood etc, please feel free to let me know here, or via PM
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:50 pm
We already have the topic-specific sub-section where one can start a discussion around a specific aspect of BK's ideas, and where any commentary that does not remain focused on that specific aspect will be moderated accordingly, and deleted if deemed too digressive from that specific aspect. So for example, if the topic were to be focused on an explication/elaboration of the 'cognitive big bang' as described in More Than Allegory, or a discussion about the psychedelic experiments explored in Dreamed Up Reality, or similar such topics, I would not be allowing commentary that tries to divert it into an opportunity to discuss the Kantian divide. However, if something about the cognitive big bang can be related to some aspect of another philosopher's work, then I would give some leeway for allowing that insofar as it remains relevant to the main topic.

But failing that, if there is still significant interest in a cloistered 'all-things-Bernardo' sub-section, devoid of any critical comparisons to other philosophers, religions, or shamanhood etc, please feel free to let me know here, or via PM

I suppose the question is, does everyone just come directly to the "General Discussions" page like I do? Let's say I visit GD section at a 10:1 ratio with the "topic-specific" section right now, which seems about right. How does that stack up with others? If it's similar, then maybe the way to go is pinning a "all things BK" topic to the top of the GD section, so at least people will be aware that it exists.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

I've been exploring the implications of some of BK's ideas at the end of "Glossary of Analytic Idealism": Questions, with Answers (my interpretations as a student.) But I agree with Dana, if someone points at something and says, "Oh, that's the phantom layer, that's your unconscious Kantian Divide", it would just act as a conversation stopper. Nor do I see how anyone who believes in the reality of that could honestly engage.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:33 am I've been exploring the implications of some of BK's ideas at the end of "Glossary of Analytic Idealism": Questions, with Answers (my interpretations as a student.) But I agree with Dana, if someone points at something and says, "Oh, that's the phantom layer, that's your unconscious Kantian Divide", it would just act as a conversation stopper. Nor do I see how anyone who believes in the reality of that could honestly engage.
To be clear, if someone initiates a general discussion about BK's model in the general discussion section, and someone else feels the need to point out that in their estimation, the model in some way perpetuates the so-called noumenal/phenomenal Kantian divide, which is then subject to rebuttal from those who disagree with that assertion, then that is all fair game as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't degenerate into antagonistic, pejorative polemic. However, if someone wants to initiate a topic-specific discussion focused on a specific aspect of BK's ideas, with the expectation that it won't be sidetracked into assertions about the perpetuation of the Kantian divide, then please do so in the topic-specific section, and I will do my best to ensure that it stays focused on the topic of interest. Likewise, if someone wants to initiate a topic-specific discussion about how BK's model does, or does not, perpetuate the Kantian divide, then go for it.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

With the delinking it might be a good time to solicit comments on future of the forum and how it should be structured. Everything does seem to gravitate toward the general section.

The forum could change in two different directions. One way would be more narrowly focused and anything not directly related to BK, his writings, his interviews, wouldn't be in scope. Another way would be to become broader in scope, maybe even welcome some of Lou's topics that he manages to slip past every now and then. I wonder if some additional topics might be useful with stricter enforcement that comments stay on topic.

1- Analytical Idealism
2- Anthroposophy
3- Science and Parapsychology
4- Past and Future of Humanity
5- Practices and Traditions

Of course, this might be more work for the moderator. :)

A basic FAQ on BK and his work might also be useful with some links to core papers and articles might be useful for people who are new to it.

Personally I mainly hang out for the science and parapsychology topics and some of the Lou topics.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Jim Cross wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:46 pm Of course, this might be more work for the moderator. :)
Yup, and likely may have to wait for a succession process. Any volunteers? (Notwithstanding the process portrayed in the HBO series ;) )
pandaproducts

Post by pandaproducts »

Eugene I wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:07 pm Since the forum is not longer associated with Bernardo and is hijacked by anthroposophists (be they official members of the organization or independent believers), I have no further interest in participating in it and contributing to the spread of sectarian beliefs. I wish you all the best and to stay healthy, both physically and spiritually!
You might want to look at /r/analyticidealism. Generally more in-line with the Kastrupian spirit.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

pandaproducts wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:49 pm You might want to look at /r/analyticidealism. Generally more in-line with the Kastrupian spirit.
Hey PP ... How's the Reddit forum going? Lots of activity I hope. Did you find some moderators to help out? Do you see much in the way of critiques of BK's model, from other counter-materialist proponents, or is that screened out? I'd check it out, but my online forum activity is now pretty much limited to this one, as being the mod, I have enough commentary to follow as it is, so not inclined to add to the amount of time I spend in front of the electron screen.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:43 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:46 pm Of course, this might be more work for the moderator. :)
Yup, and likely may have to wait for a succession process. Any volunteers? (Notwithstanding the process portrayed in the HBO series ;) )
One thing about having a single dedicated forum/topic to BK or analytical idealism would be that it might satisfy somebody like Eugene who is only looking for that. Comments or topics not strictly related to BK or something he said or wrote would be off limits. One or two pinned posts might also be a useful reference for people coming with basic questions. The other forums could ramble on about all sorts of other stuff.