Message from BK

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Justathought

Message from BK

Post by Justathought »

I presume he's talking about this forum...

https://twitter.com/BernardoKastrup/sta ... 4529022985
Starbuck

Bernardo's twitter

Post by Starbuck »

A message from Bernardo. Have to agree with his sentiment. Many of the main posters on here have strong beliefs that contradict his views. Would be great if those people wrote their ideas in a book or created a podcast etc. There would be forum spin offs where those ideas could be taken more seriously rather than as add ons to a Bernardo/analytic idealism platform.
AshvinP

Re: Message from BK

Post by AshvinP »

Justathought wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:31 pm I presume he's talking about this forum...

"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Justathought wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:31 pm I presume he's talking about this forum...

Yes ... Eugene actually took it upon himself to message Bernardo with a rant about a cult of Anthroposophy, headed by members of the official Society by that name, prompting BK to email me to get my take in the situation. I've since replied to BK and made clear that I suggest he disregard the rant as being utterly misleading. However, I agreed that for other reasons it is best that he remove the active link from his blog, so as to not give the impression that the forum is a place that new members are likely to be able to engage with him, or that it is a place predominantly focused specifically on his ideas, as opposed to also finding critiques of his ideas. Suffice to say, that anyone who is truly bothered by the way the forum has evolved since BK first conceived it almost 10 years ago, or the way that it is being moderated, then they are free to not participate, or start another forum, as one member did on Reddit.

For the record, here is my response to Bernardo ...

Hi Bernardo ... Suffice to say that this is a complete over-reaction from Eugene. I've had no communication from Simon expressing anything close to Eugene's sentiment. In a recent thread, I've actually had to take the action of deleting some insultingly provocative comments by Eugene, accusing some members of cult-like behaviour, which are completely unfounded, and out of line with the house rules. I'm now considering pre-moderation of his comments as the next step.

As for you being associated with Steiner's take on idealism, as it is expressed in his work Philosophy of Freedom, which is the source of ideas most referenced in the forum by Ashvin and Cleric, I see no reason for concern. Indeed, Daniel Pinchbeck has also made this connection to your ideas in his recent endorsement of your work, which you have shared via social media. In any case, there is actually very little discussion of the occultism that Steiner is also associated with, and there are active threads going on that are focused on other topics, some being related to your ideas, and others going well beyond your ideas into the profound implications of idealism which you tend to be disinclined to speculate about.

That said, I do feel that the active link to the forum from your blog and twitter feed does give the impression that new members might be able to engage with you in discussion there, to clarify and elaborate on your ideas. To that effect, I've posted a recent pinned message (which you can read if so inclined), to make clear why this is unlikely to be the case, given your time constraints, and that your affiliation with the forum is pretty much now in name only. So if you feel it best to remove that active link for that reason, then I have no problem with that. However, if it's for reasons you've mentioned above, then I feel you've been misinformed and misled in that regard.

I trust this alleviates your concerns about the way the new version of the forum has evolved since you first conceived of it almost 10 years ago. But hey, what should we expect under idealism, other than the evolution of ideas ;)

As always, kind regards
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Since the forum is not longer associated with Bernardo and is hijacked by anthroposophists (be they official members of the organization or independent believers), I have no further interest in participating in it and contributing to the spread of sectarian beliefs. I wish you all the best and to stay healthy, both physically and spiritually!
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
maybe_my_monkey

Post by maybe_my_monkey »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:54 pm
Yes ... Eugene actually took it upon himself to message Bernardo with a rant about a cult of Anthroposophy, headed by members of the the official Society by that name, prompting BK to email me to get my take in the situation. I've since replied to BK and made clear that I suggest he disregard the rant as being utterly misleading. However, I agreed that for other reasons it is best that he remove the active link from his blog, so as to not give the impression that the forum is a place that new members are likely to be able to engage with him, or that it is a place predominantly focused specifically on his ideas, as opposed to also finding critiques of his ideas. Suffice to say, that anyone who is truly bothered by the way the forum has evolved since BK first conceived it almost 10 years ago, or the way that it is being moderated, then they are free to not participate, or start another forum, as one member did on Reddit.
I would be grateful if you deleted my account as I can't see a way to do from my profile.

I wish you all good health and good fortune.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Shu
Eugene actually took it upon himself to message Bernardo with a rant about a cult of Anthropology,
You meant "anthroposophy", right?

As far as the link goes, it would seem a strong disclaimer attached to link about the forum's independence would have been sufficient.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Scandal. I like scandal.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Jim Cross wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:49 pm Shu
Eugene actually took it upon himself to message Bernardo with a rant about a cult of Anthropology,
You meant "anthroposophy", right?
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Seems spellcheck may have auto-corrected that, and I've been a bit preoccupied to the point of not taking the time to review my posts for typos. It's now corrected.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

maybe_my_monkey wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:45 pm I would be grateful if you deleted my account as I can't see a way to do from my profile.
Signing out of the account, and not signing back in, has pretty much the same effect. But I can probably find a way to delete your account, if you can't manage to resist. ;)