Mind at Large as Brain

Here participants should focus discussion on Bernardo's model and related ideas, by way of exploration, explication, elaboration, and constructive critique. Moderators may intervene to reel in commentary that has drifted too far into areas where other interest groups may try to steer it
Ben Iscatus

Mind at Large as Brain

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Suppose someone asked BK this question - how do you think he'd respond in the context of Analytic Idealism?

If Mind at Large is like a giant brain, and the universe is expanding, when it is fifty times its current age, it will become dark. Is this an idea in Mind at Large to die, to not be eternal?

Here's how I'd put it from my understanding of Analytic Idealism:

Who can say? It might just be the end of the current representation. If so, MAL might reappear, be reborn, next time incorporating perspectives which all its dissociated alters on billions of planets have contributed in this iteration.
Jim Cross

Re: Mind at Large as Brain

Post by Jim Cross »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:09 pm Suppose someone asked BK this question - how do you think he'd respond in the context of Analytic Idealism?

If Mind at Large is like a giant brain, and the universe is expanding, when it is fifty times its current age, it will become dark. Is this an idea in Mind at Large to die, to not be eternal?

Here's how I'd put it from my understanding of Analytic Idealism:

Who can say? It might just be the end of the current representation. If so, MAL might reappear, be reborn, next time incorporating perspectives which all its dissociated alters on billions of planets have contributed in this iteration.
Congrats on the first post.

A brief challenge, however, to the idea it will become dark. That may be the most likely case in current science but it is also possible that something may intervene in the future to halt the progression towards heat death. There are various theories about cyclical universes with alternating periods of expansion and collapse. It also is possible that completely new space-time geometry comes into effect as matter becomes more and more dispersed and then eventually begins to rip apart.

My best guess now is the universe is a black hole.
Any such model requires that the Hubble radius of the observable universe be equal to its Schwarzschild radius, that is, the product of its mass and the Schwarzschild proportionality constant. This is indeed known to be nearly the case; however, most cosmologists consider this close match a coincidence,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_cosmology

To clarify. I think BK might challenge the idea it will become dark. Even in what we know in current science, the universe has been through several phases - hot initial phase, rapid expansion, hot gas phase, first stars, current phase of mature stars, novas, and heavy metal production. We might find some surprising new phase 5 billion years in the future.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

I like the idea of a see of photons. Just light with nothing to hit or reflect off. The phrase 'dazzling darkness' comes to mind. Maybe like God in deep sleep before he dreams a new cycle, Who knows? :)
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Jim, Starbuck - excellent comments!
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

If MAL is a black hole, then MAL is fractal, and there are MALs inside MAL. Which is a somewhat appealing idea, i must say.

Also, another way the trajectory might change is if the fundamental physical constants change. No evidence of it so far but...

Finally, there's Vacuum Decay. An interesting way to go...
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Starbuck wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:25 pm I like the idea of a see of photons. Just light with nothing to hit or reflect off. The phrase 'dazzling darkness' comes to mind. Maybe like God in deep sleep before he dreams a new cycle, Who knows? :)
I imagine you have read the Asimov's Last Question for a different ending.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question

In a variation of the "last Question", I've thought that consciousness might become so large, taking on forms we can't imagine now at this phase in the universe, that essentially it becomes the universe, then the cycle begins again.
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

I had not read that one. Now I have. A very thoughtful philosophical contribution from Asimov.

Thanks Jim for pointing it out.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Jim Cross wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:37 pm
Starbuck wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:25 pm I like the idea of a see of photons. Just light with nothing to hit or reflect off. The phrase 'dazzling darkness' comes to mind. Maybe like God in deep sleep before he dreams a new cycle, Who knows? :)
I imagine you have read the Asimov's Last Question for a different ending.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question

In a variation of the "last Question", I've thought that consciousness might become so large, taking on forms we can't imagine now at this phase in the universe, that essentially it becomes the universe, then the cycle begins again.
Not read much Asimov Jim, that books looks very interesting, thanks,
senafernando

Post by senafernando »

A quote from "The Lastt Question" by Asimov:

"Entropy can't be reversed"

That is a physicalist view. Mind at Large is not subject to entropy.
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

This is a perfect example of a question that appears clever and maybe even a gotcha' until one thinks about a bit a realizes it's totally silly.