The Central Topic

Here both posters and comments will be restricted to topic-specific discourse. Comments should directly address the original post and poster. Comments and/or links that are deemed to be too digressive or off-topic, may be deleted by a moderator.
Cleric K

Re: The Central Topic

Post by Cleric K »

Anthony66 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:20 pm So if we take the first cause cosmological argument for the existence of God, where does it break down? Essentially we trace a series of cause/effects backwards and given that a concrete infinity can't exist (or so it is argued), there must be a first cause, a.k.a God.

But if we trace back a temporal chain of events, there's always the question of the nature of time itself. I've always thought we don't have a good handle on this. I've seen your fractal fish videos which speak to my intuitions.

But the sophisticated apologist will try to divorce the causal chain from the temporal aspect, focusing on the sequence of cause/effect events in isolation. But my mind goes to Hume where he put into doubt the reality of causality as commonly understood.

How does SS navigate these waters?
It breaks down simply because it's time to outgrow the purely abstract thinking. People don't realize it very well but cause and effect have become something completely abstract - intellectual labels for processes that we only fantasize to exist out there. For example, if we see two billiard balls hitting, we call one the cause, the other the effect. But what about if we dream that we play pool? Do our dream balls follow physical laws? Do they at all exist as some objects? What about if we play pool as a computer game? When the balls move (i.e. pixels on the display change) can we speak of balls at all, let alone one being a cause? In this sense, cause and effect have become for us only labels for correlations between perceptions. We don't really experience consciously how the ball-in-itself causes the movement of the other. We only have perceptions (in the same say as we have them in the dream or computer pool) which we organize through thinking.

This is not to say that this kind of correlations are unnecessary. No, the point is only to turn attention to the only place where we find a true cause - in our thinking. In the essays I spoke about True Time but the essence is the same. Our thoughts are the only thing for which we can speak about a cause in a real sense. Everything else is only correlations while the thinking that causes the correlative thoughts remains hidden in the background, thus we remain blind for the only instance of true cause.

So when we look at things in this way we can easily see how intellectual metaphysics speaks only of imagined causes and effects. The only place where we can find true causes of phenomena, remains in the blind spot.

If this is understood, it will also be clear why it's not the goal to simply build a framework of intellectual thoughts and call them 'the truth'. We move towards the truth only through inner transformations where we begin to perceive causes of World phenomena in the same way we perceive our thoughts. In other words, we need to seek the Divine within, to experience how it Thinks the inner Cosmos and how our current life experience is only akin to thinking, feeling and willing modulation of this inner reality.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Anthony66 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:20 pm
Cleric K wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:49 pm Nothing can be apologetically defended in pure intellectual thought...
So if we take the first cause cosmological argument for the existence of God, where does it break down? Essentially we trace a series of cause/effects backwards and given that a concrete infinity can't exist (or so it is argued), there must be a first cause, a.k.a God.

But if we trace back a temporal chain of events, there's always the question of the nature of time itself. I've always thought we don't have a good handle on this. I've seen your fractal fish videos which speak to my intuitions.

But the sophisticated apologist will try to divorce the causal chain from the temporal aspect, focusing on the sequence of cause/effect events in isolation. But my mind goes to Hume where he put into doubt the reality of causality as commonly understood.

How does SS navigate these waters?
Anthony,

If I remember the cosmological argument correctly, it is something like,

A. Everything which comes into existence has a cause.
B. The physical universe, including space and time, came into existence (big bang)
C. Therefore, the physical Universe has a cause outside space and time.
D. Therefore, eternal God.

The above embeds all sorts of assumptions of linear time, physical substance which came into ontic existence (dualism), and things related to those. SS doesn't assume any of that. More importantly, we should sense what people are trying to do here - they are claiming to "prove" God, the source of All-Being, with a couple of short sentences. Our inutition immediately tells us that this isn't a coherent approach, because our concepts precipitate from whatever God is, not the other way around. I cannot reconstruct or prove myself by standing in front of a mirror, breaking the mirror into a million shards, and then piecing together the shards. The latter are not even functioning as a "mirror" anymore, only phantom glass shards.

Moreover, even if this 'proof' is technically accurate, it ia so abstractly broad to be meaningless. Actually the atheist-physicalist can make a proof that is technically just as accurate. As mentioned here before, the intellect can form a proposition and a negation of that proposition with equal persuasive authority, and can seek out only those facts which correspond to its own concepts used to make those propositions. The typical physicalist objection is, "then what caused God?" That objection cannot be answered, except to say eternal God is an axiom we must assume, but it's more 'parsimonious' than not assuming God. This isn't persuasive at all. Actually, the physicalist who can specificy the earliest stages of the Big Bang, even if only quantitatively, already has more persuasive power than the creationist.

SS doesn't navigate these waters, because it rejects the entire approach of phantom concepts used to 'prove' experiential realities of all sort, let alone those related to the most Divine experiences (from our current perspective). At this level of phantom abstraction, creationism, materialism, dualism, and even monist idealism are all the same in terms of actual understanding, or lack of it. It's like the dark aspect of the many-faced spirit which morphs into different outer forms to deceive - people feel they have moved beyond it by switching from one outer form to another, but they are actually still firmly within its intellectual stranglehold. This becomes more and more clear to us when we pursue the path of the Spirit.

PoF arrives to monist evolutionary dealism as a conclusion of thoroughly reasoned experience, broadly the experience of our perception and cognition. SS then puts us on the evolutionary path to actually experience the gradient of increasingly integrated consciousness between the intellect, imagination, and higher cogniton, i.e. the actual consciousness of the gods themselves. We come to know that our own soul is eternal as certainly as we know that it is alive and experiencing the world today. Think about how trivial the apologetic cosmological argument, or moral argument, or historical Jesus resurrected argument, or any other one, seems in comparison to this path of the shared Spirit. Perhaps there is a place for such arguments in very specialized domains of academia (and these arguments were all around in Steiner's time too), but they are simply below the purview of SS and what first-person experience of the Soul and Spirit can offer us. We can come to gradually yet very concretely desire, feel, and understand the reality of what is written below.

"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."
(John 17)
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Anthony66

Post by Anthony66 »

Cleric K wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:36 pm This is not to say that this kind of correlations are unnecessary. No, the point is only to turn attention to the only place where we find a true cause - in our thinking.
How do we understand the source or origin of thinking? What initiates a movement of thought? If we peer "behind the veil", how far back can we potentially go? Or will there always be a receding horizon that we can never reach?

On another front, God is typically conceived of as disembodied. But is there always a "body" associated with thinking - something perceptible in some form, from some vantage point?
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Anthony66 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:52 pm How do we understand the source or origin of thinking? What initiates a movement of thought? If we peer "behind the veil", how far back can we potentially go? Or will there always be a receding horizon that we can never reach?
Our spiritual activity (thinking) is always at the tip of becoming. This is true for any being, whether a human or a god. We always live at the edge of the event horizon, at the eternal transition between unknown unmanifest into the known and perceptible. In my experience it is misleading to imagine our thoughts as being created somewhere behind a veil and travelling along a pipeline until they emerge above the surface of consciousness. I know that I often speak about tracing the origin of thoughts but I mean that in a very specific sense. I'll try to explain.

Consider this video:

This is one of the more philosophical issues of PBS ST and understandably doesn't go in much depth, it's not the focus of the channel after all. I only wanted to point at Wheeler's approach with the negative questions.

The critical thing is to realize that our thoughts (for example verbal) become manifest only at the horizon of our consciousness. Behind the horizon they are only as the cloud of potential that continually gets narrowed down. Actually, it's much better to think about our thoughts not as something separate from everything else but about our whole state of being - the full spectrum of inner phenomena - like a total 'frame' of existence. We're in the process of eternal transition between 'frames'. Thoughts are only the most 'in focus' part of the frame, where perception and meaningful intent are in phase. In contrast, when my progression of state-frames present me with perceptions of a falling ball, I have perceptions but have no experience of meaningful intent which I can recognize as cause.

So our flow of being continually crystalizes into perceptions. When we speak of tracing the source of thoughts, as said, it's not really about gaining consciousness of some pipeline where thoughts approach us as readymade parcels from behind the veil. Instead we should imagine the process of continual narrowing down (in Wheeler's sense) of what our next state of being can be. For example, if I'm at home, my next states of being will most certainly be ones in which I have perceptions of my familiar environment. Then if I make a decision to go out, depending on the direction I take, different potential states will manifest. If I will my movement to the East, my stream of becoming will present me with states which have perceptions of the Eastward part of the city and correspondingly make perceptions of the Westward part unmanifest.

Seen in this way, it's not necessary to imagine the East or West states as arriving towards us on a conveyer belt from behind the veil. Instead, there's continual narrowing down of potential which is guided by our will.

In a similar sense, our thinking life, our life in ideas, is like blindfolded concretization of structured potential. Through our thinking will we make 'East' or 'West' thoughts more likely to manifest in our stream of becoming. If I've had an argument with someone, I've moved in a certain region of soul life, from whence my states crystalize. It depends on my inner life mastery how quickly I can move to another region. If I'm too easily affected, I'll be bogged down in a swampy region for a long time and I'll keep manifesting thoughts and feelings which continue to iterate over the argument. This doesn't mean that our thoughts arrive pre-made on a conveyer belt. Yet it's admissible to speak of origin of thoughts inasmuch as we speak of the potential well of states from within which we narrow down our thinking states.

Or another example - if I'm on a museum tour, the guide leads me through various exhibits of which I think. This doesn't mean that my thoughts arrive premeditated on a conveyer belt, yet the guide certainly narrows down the potential from which my thinking states will manifest. For example, if she leads me to the Mona Lisa portrait, this makes it much more likely that my states of being will narrow down into thinking about Mona Lisa and not about apples and pears. In this sense we can still speak of origin of thoughts as long as we're clear that we're speaking of this narrowing down of potential from within which our states manifest.

This is key. We can understand this only if we properly grasp the hierarchical time rhythms within whose context we manifest our states. At the tip of our thinking becoming we always feel that we're creatively involved in the manifestation of thoughts. Yet we're barely conscious of the palette of possible thought-states that is being continually narrowed down until it becomes perceptible at the horizon.

In this sense, to trace the origin of thinking we shouldn't fantasize some conveyer belt where verbal thoughts approach us premeditated but we should seek the feeling for the living context which continually gets narrowed down into perceptions (which recede as memory).

Now the key to higher cognition is that this structured potential can be known in various degrees. This is evident even from the simple example above - if we recognize our affected stated, we already have grasped some of the curvature of the potential that we're forced to crystalize. From here it's a matter of inner work to find the degrees of freedom of our becoming through which we can navigate more freely the regions which are being narrowed down into perception. For example, if we manage to utilize our feeling degrees of freedom, we may be able to transform our pride and escape the clutches of affection. Then we're free to manifest other regions of potential, which would otherwise have been inaccessible while we were busy manifesting thoughts and feelings about the argument.

When this process continues it becomes possible to know even higher order curvature of meaningful potential. That's how it is possible for SS to speak about the past and the future. On a higher level it becomes evident that the states of Earthly life funnel in certain direction. We make plans based on our limited perspective but at the same time the macro-structure of the dream narrows down in certain direction and ultimately we're forced to manifest our states from within that potential. The points of conception and death are two poles within which our states funnel. This is quite self-evident also in the case of planetary motion for example. We may wish that our next state can be anywhere in Cosmic space but in reality all our states of being are narrowed down within a palette which is consistent with the perceptual content of the Earthly planetary environment.

This may seem fantastic but in reality this is what planetary motions really are. What we see with our eyes is only the crystalized manifestation of states. From higher order perspective, the gods don't see a planet moving into some orbit. Instead, their activity shapes the potential curvature which is hierarchically being narrowed down. From the perspective of the gods, their activity is also experienced as becoming, as manifestation of potential. This is very well illustrated in Genesis where it's said "And Elohim said, “Let light come to be,” and light came to be. And Elohim saw the light, that it was good." These are very deep things and they speak directly of this horizon of manifestation. So even the Elohim manifest their activity from within unseen potential and only as it crosses the horizon becomes perceptible. The difference is that for the higher beings, what they manifest is the 'shape' of potential which can be further narrowed down. In this sense, the Light that the Elohim create is not simply photons travelling in space through time.

We can imagine it in a simplified way thus. Imagine that you take the 'frames' of inner life from a whole year of your life and superimpose them one over the other. All colors, sounds, thoughts, feelings - everything is superimposed and builds a superposition, similar to white light. Yet this superposition is not absolute white light. There are many more states that are missing. For example, there are no states in this superposition which correspond to the inner experience of beholding the Mars environment. So it's structured potential. Imagine that (I repeat that this is oversimplification) the Elohim thinks the superposition of states of being which correspond to one year of time. The Elohim sees these superimposed states from the same first-person perspective, just like we do. This superposition is structured such that it contains all possible (first-person) states of being that humans can go through within a year time. Through the narrowing down of this potential, many relative perspectives become possible which are consistent with each other. From within this narrowed potential, the Elohim's activity is experienced in its time-decohered form.
Anthony66 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:52 pm On another front, God is typically conceived of as disembodied. But is there always a "body" associated with thinking - something perceptible in some form, from some vantage point?
Once again, "body" is really the structure of potential which we manifest. Our visual perception of a body is only a 'map' of the structure of past potential. For example, when we exercise our will we can move our hand within a volume of possible positions. From purely experiential perspective, there's a palette for our will, beyond certain limits of which we start to experience pain. When we look at this with our eyes we see the 'map' of potential where we recognize the joints with their structure which correlates with the experience of willed movement and pain.

The goal here is to gradually learn to think differently. As long we start with the idea of space, bodies and then try to understand how consciousness embodies or disembodies from these things, we create for ourselves impossible hard problems. Instead, we should always return to the givens. Basically, it's all a question about metamorphosis from state to state and recognizing the constrains and degrees of freedom of this becoming. In certain sense, the perceptions of our body are like perceptual precipitation of our becoming which helps us grasp what is possible or impossible for our future becoming.

It's similar for a godly being, except that it doesn't fall for the trap that the constrains and freedoms of its becoming are shaped by some external body-in-itself. In principle, the life of a god is still about manifesting states of being within constrains of potential. The difference is that a god knows that the structured potential that it narrows down doesn't result from external mechanistic body but from deeper layers of spiritual activity (as for example the Son realizes his relation to the Father, or the tourist to the guide).

In a similar way, man will have to outgrow the Maya picture of the world and begin to think in terms of becoming, and recognizing the spiritual forces which shape the potential which is being continually narrowed down.

These are not easy things to grasp and require meditative effort. They certainly can't be reckoned with 15th century intellectual habits. In very short, we shouldn't imagine that already formed thoughts approach us from behind on a conveyer belt and we simply witness them and ask about their origin. Instead, we should think of the meaningful higher order intents which shape the general structure of the potential which is being continually narrowed down into the perceptual content of our states of being.
Eugene I.

Post by Eugene I. »

Cleric, I would add that the curvatures of potentials and meanings are not something that is pre-destined to us and only created by higher-order beings, but that they are constantly being reshaped by all beings involved, both higher-order and lower-order. Beings on higher levels of development certainly get deeper insights into the structures of potentials and can shape them in more meaningful ways, while the less developed beings do it more deterministically within a narrower range of insight and freedom. It's like the Earth is constantly being re-shaped by all living creatures, from ants to humans, while ants doing it in a more instinctual way and humans doing it in different ways more determined by their mental faculties. So, it's not a one-way process of higher-order beings shaping the curvatures that the lower-level ones simply need to follow, but it's rather a multi-way process, with the contribution from the lower-level beings being equally important.

It's also a balance between how rigid the structure and constraints are. Too little constraint - and the unfolding will be chaotic and random, too much constraint - and the structure will be too limited in its developmental potential. It's amazing how the quantum framework provides such balance between the constraint and freedom. It may seem that the constraints of curvatures and laws (both natural and spiritual) are rigidly structured, yet it is amazing how much freedom and diversity they allow for unfolding into an infinite variety of shapes and curvatures of potentials and forms.

Another point to note is the underlying driving forces and motivations of life on all hierarchical levels. My feel is that it's an interplay of multiple forces acting in balance. One of them is a drive to achieve perfection and highest level of development/cognition. But if that would be the only force in the universe, it would lead to stagnation into a singularity of a perfect state (of unity/love/bliss). However, there are other fundamental forces that interplay with each other and this interplay makes the process never-ending and never-stagnant. One of them is the motivation to infinitely create, experience and explore, and this force is the one that makes stagnation impossible and development never-ending. Ther reason for that is that there is not a single most perfect state of perfection, but a large and potentially infinite variety of them, such that the quest for perfection, motivated by both the force to achieve perfection and the force to explore and create, can never be stalled.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I. wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:27 pm Cleric, I would add that the curvatures of potentials and meanings are not something that is pre-destined to us and only created by higher-order beings, but that they are constantly being reshaped by all beings involved, both higher-order and lower-order. Beings on higher levels of development certainly get deeper insights into the structures of potentials and can shape them in more meaningful ways, while the less developed beings do it more deterministically within a narrower range of insight and freedom. It's like the Earth is constantly being re-shaped by all living creatures, from ants to humans, while ants doing it in a more instinctual way and humans doing it in different ways more determined by their mental faculties. So, it's not a one-way process of higher-order beings shaping the curvatures that the lower-level ones simply need to follow, but it's rather a multi-way process, with the contribution from the lower-level beings being equally important.

It's also a balance between how rigid the structure and constraints are. Too little constraint - and the unfolding will be chaotic and random, too much constraint - and the structure will be too limited in its developmental potential. It's amazing how the quantum framework provides such balance between the constraint and freedom. It may seem that the constraints of curvatures and laws (both natural and spiritual) are rigidly structured, yet it is amazing how much freedom and diversity they allow for unfolding into an infinite variety of shapes and curvatures of potentials and forms.

Another point to note is the underlying driving forces and motivations of life on all hierarchical levels. My feel is that it's an interplay of multiple forces acting in balance. One of them is a drive to achieve perfection and highest level of development/cognition. But if that would be the only force in the universe, it would lead to stagnation into a singularity of a perfect state (of unity/love/bliss). However, there are other fundamental forces that interplay with each other and this interplay makes the process never-ending and never-stagnant. One of them is the motivation to infinitely create, experience and explore, and this force is the one that makes stagnation impossible and development never-ending. Ther reason for that is that there is not a single most perfect state of perfection, but a large and potentially infinite variety of them, such that the quest for perfection, motivated by both the force to achieve perfection and the force to explore and create, can never be stalled.
Eugene, these remarks are important, although if we get in the depth of the third paragraph we'll once again reach the problem with the stagnation/boredom and the ticking Newtonian clock while the ego observes the eternal.

But anyway, I would like to ask you, what in your view are the constraints? Do you imagine the world as some kind of medium which is modulated by various beings? To make this more concrete let's consider the human form. It's quite clear that we barely have any conscious influence on it. It determines the palette of possible states that we can flow through. For example, the potential states of being that we experience are narrowed in such a way that we can guide our will into two hands. Theoretically there could be states where our spirit can will the movement of four hands. My point is that this is a good example of what spiritual constraints mean. It's an interesting exercise to try and imagine the willing of another pair of hands, almost like we're the Vitruvian Man. Many people will find it very difficult to imagine. They'll find that they must switch between the original pair and the imagined extra pair but can't imagine willing their movement simultaneously. So our spirit has infinite conceivable degrees of freedom yet in our current state the vast majority of them are filtered - thus there are constraints.

My question is how do you envision the nature of these constraints. What is it really which makes our body take a form with two hands instead of any form that we may would like? And what is the body really?
Eugene I.

Post by Eugene I. »

Cleric K wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:45 am My question is how do you envision the nature of these constraints. What is it really which makes our body take a form with two hands instead of any form that we may would like? And what is the body really?
This is a very good question, Cleric, and I do not know the answer, but it's one of the questions on my "to find out list" once I get out the body.
That's why I used to keep asking you how is that the phenomena that we experience always follow the constraint of the Schrodinger equation? What is the nature of this constraint mechanism, how exactly does is work, where did it originate from? We can ask the same question about any other constraints, for example the one you mentioned about four hands.

Also, the reality avoiding stagnation is not about "boredom", but about the fundamental dynamic force intrinsic to the nature of reality that keeps it ever moving and evolving and evading stagnation into monocultural and perfect state. Why is this reality dynamic rather than static, diverse rather than monocultural - we do not know, it's the question similar to "why there is something rather than nothing". But personally, I'm pretty happy with his kind of reality and would prefer it to a static and monocultural perfection (even though I don't think my opinion matters here anyway).
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I. wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:54 pm This is a very good question, Cleric, and I do not know the answer, but it's one of the questions on my "to find out list" once I get out the body.
This has been gone through many times but it's precisely this tendency to wait for death in order to find the supposed truth there, which supports the duality of non-duality and the pseudo veil (see my last post). This is like NASA scientist deciding to first launch the rocket and only then begin figuring out the orbit. But we know that the place, time, launch path are all critical for a successful rendezvous with the ISS, for example. If we have negligently launched into polar orbit, changing that into equatorial while in space, would require impossible amounts of fuel. Similarly we shouldn't underestimate our Earthly state because if we neglect to develop our spiritual organs now, we'll be launched after death in a crippled orbit.
Eugene I. wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:54 pm That's why I used to keep asking you how is that the phenomena that we experience always follow the constraint of the Schrodinger equation? What is the nature of this constraint mechanism, how exactly does is work, where did it originate from? We can ask the same question about any other constraints, for example the one you mentioned about four hands.
I've wrote an essay some months ago but felt that it should be posted in the proper context.

The difficulty is that people expect to understand the Schrodinger equation in itself, they expect some intellectual knowledge that will fit everything and say "Aha, now I get it". But understanding the equation and all of science for that matter, demands that we lift our investigations a level higher.

What have scientist been doing from the time of Galileo onwards? They have been thinking about the canvas of perceptions. They were seeking the thoughts (mostly mathematical) whose thought out dynamics would correlate with the dynamics of perceptions. The Schrodinger equation was the result of seeking this quantification of perceptions further and further. It is similar to painter who tries to replicate the appearances of Nature through more and more precise paint strokes. Scientists art through math. They distill more and more refined math relations, whose dynamics mirror the perceptual content.

In the Schrodinger equation we're doing something akin to Fourier analysis of the perceptual world. Perceptions are thought of as matter waves and the equation basically filters out only that sum of elementary waves, which fit the energy constrains. We do something similar in Fourier analysis where from the infinite possible frequencies, we filter out only those whose sum yields the desired waveform.

So science practically develops a glorified math-painting algorithm. Does this mean that scientific equations have nothing to do with reality, just like a blob of paint has nothing to do with the real and living Mona Lisa? Now this is the tricky part because the question in itself secretly suggest a very specific mode of thinking about reality. Unless we recognize that we need to alter the way we see and think about reality, it will be very difficult to get intuition of what science is doing.

As said, scientists in the last few centuries have been sculpting thoughts about perceptions. Today we are at a very interesting threshold where we should recognize that this thought-sculpting activity is the actual process of reality. So far, the default intuition has been that we're enclosed soul spheres, which arrange puzzles of thoughts about reality-in-itself (that which is beyond the personal sphere). We imagine that the 'real' laws of the Universe work outside consciousness and our thoughts are only their symbolic replicas. The challenge today is to realize that our flow of states, which we can most easily be conscious of when we focus on how through our thinking we meaningfully transition from 'frame to frame' of existence, is the actual first-person perspective law of the Universe. Our first-person willed spiritual activity is in itself a limited aperture of the spiritual force which arts reality and not a side-effect which presents opaque intellectual pictures of reality-in-itself.

When we see things in this way, we begin to realize that through our scientific endeavors so far we've been unknowingly accumulating 'experimental data'. We've been blindly flowing with the activity of the Cosmos, which projected an opaque intellectual picture of itself. Now the Cosmos realizes that that which it has been modelling through intellectual puzzle pieces is the objectified and deadened precipitation of the actual first-person process of reality. So the Cosmos has been precipitating thoughts as nails and hair shed from a living body. Now the "I" of the Cosmos realizes that true reality is the activity which has been secretly weaving behind this shedding process. This process can no longer be modelled but must be lived.

For this reason, the Schrodinger equation and all other equations have so far been secretly informing us about the dynamics of the living spirit which has been thinking them. In certain sense all scientific thinking has been the build up of helping wheels, of a rigid scaffold, which has the potential to awaken us to our living spiritual activity. If we continue to ask questions like "How come the Schrodinger equation describes reality so well?" it simply means that we implicitly support the dualism between the mental picture of reality-in-itself and the first-person experience of that reality, which is its living law.

Clearly, we shouldn't imagine that this realization will suddenly put the Cosmos which experiences itself as an "I" within us, in position to unleash its imagination and begin to override all the lawful rhythms we observe.

There's actually only one law which determines the constrains of our unfoldment of states. Habitually we imagine that we exist as independent observer of reality who is forced to comply to its laws. We imagine that we can think, feel and will anything but the constraints of the world limit us (we imagine these constraints as the laws of the physical world or interference with other spiritual beings).

In reality there are no constrains to what our next state of being might be. The only constraint is that whatever that next state might be, it should be felt as if the previous states are embedded within it (memory). This is the principle of continuity of consciousness and the experience of time in the most general sense.

This is something so simple, yet so elusive when we approach it with our 15th century intellectual habits, that it deserves an attempt to explain.
Eugene I. wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:54 pm Also, the reality avoiding stagnation is not about "boredom", but about the fundamental dynamic force intrinsic to the nature of reality that keeps it ever moving and evolving and evading stagnation into monocultural and perfect state.
We can use the above as a point of departure. What is the main characteristic of science (which shapes how we think of reality)? That it models a state of the universe which is transformed from frame to frame through certain laws. We've spoken many times that in order to avoid the Kantian trap we should think of this state not as some supposed reality-in-itself on the opaque side of consciousness but as a state of being - a snapshot of spiritual existence. This is what we all can be certain of after all. We live in constant metamorphosis of states of being. Whether it's a dream, whether there's an opaque material-energetic world on the opaque side, we can't tell but most certainly we live in a flow of inner states of being (here inner is used only to underline that we're talking about the spiritual experience of be-ing - all that we ever know - and not to imply that there's an opaque side).

It is very tempting to imagine these states of being in some kind of phase (configuration) space. We can do that to an extent but it's a very thin ice and we should never forget that there's no such third-person perspective which can see some states of being spread out in front of it. Anytime we speak of a state of being, we should immediately picture a first-person spiritual state - an unique configuration of conscious phenomena - color, sound, warmth, feelings, thoughts, meaning, etc.

We always experience only one state of being but it contains within itself the fractal reverberations of all previous states of being. This is what gives us a sense of flow through time. At any point we have the background intuition that we have lived up until this moment. This intuition is in the now. This is actually more easy to appreciate through materialistic thinking. Imagine that the physical Universe has never existed and in some strange way becomes assembled directly into the state we find it today. Then the 'play' button is pressed. Would we ever be able to tell if the universe has just popped into existence and that all our memories of a life since our birth are actually fabricated experiences into the now? Can we tell apart that something has really happened in the past or it may have never happened but the universe has been just assembled in such a clever way that it feels like it has gone through temporal development?

With this example I aim to show that no matter if there's really a time flow or reality is created anew at each instant from scratch, the sense of continuity in time comes from the fact that in the now we have the intuition that there are many other states of being which are somehow related to our current and this relation feels as if we've reached this moment through temporal development. Another way to speak of this relatedness is to speak of states as being self-similar. For example, the states of our life seem self-similar in that there's certain overlap, there's some overarching phenomena which persist. For example if we have the states of an hour long experience, at every instant the thought content may be different but there may be an overarching mood which is more or less the same through the whole hour. Similarly, there's some experiential phenomena which make all states of our life to seem self-similar and this justifies us to say that they all happened to us (the self-similarity is that all states are imbued with the same quality of "I"-ness). There's no need to imagine these overarching phenomena as some separate category, it's only that they are common to all states, they are like ever expanding context which embeds states.

If we make a thought experiment we can imagine this process continuing to infinity where we encounter states from whose perspective more and more other states seem self-similar. Asymptotically, this state would be something which we can metaphorically depict as something like the Sierpinski triangle.

This could be imagined to be the Absolute state of being. It's such that all other infinitely many conceivable states are experienced as self-similar to it. Not only 'our' states but states of any conceivable being at any phase of development. Or in other words it's a state which feels that every conceivable state is present within it as memory. That absolute state would feel that there's something of it in every other state. Of course the geometric fractal is only a symbol. In practice we should imagine that all states of being are concentric, just like our memories of past states are concentric to our current "I"-state.

And here we come to the challenging part. This is not the first time this absolute state is mentioned here but still, every time it has been met with misunderstanding, objecting that it's nonsensical that such a state could be the attracting point of evolution because this would only lead to stagnation, boredom and the end of life. These objections fail to grasp what is here being depicted. I'll make one more attempt.

Let's imagine that we've somehow reached the perfect state. When it is objected that this will be felt as stagnation it is only because one forgets to include his own temporal states of being into the wholeness. In other words, one continues to think completely along linear time without realizing that he has split himself from the supposed state of perfection and his consciousness continues to tick along linear time completely independent of what he observes.

The above picture illustrates the failure to include one's own progression of states of being into the idea of the absolute state. One remains completely blind about his own flow of existence and imagines that with that flow he stands as an independent observer/experiencer of the absolute state. Stated otherwise, one imagines the perfected state of existence as something that confronts consciousness, while the latter stands outside of that state ticking along a separate Newtonian (linear) clock and having memory of this flow.

Let's think about this vividly in stop-motion-like manner. Let's pretend we're experiencing the contents of the absolute state. We can imagine this as all conceivable states of being superimposed on one another, something akin to white light. Yet without noticing we actually place ourselves outside this state - in the red state above. In the next instance we move to another state - the green state which is self-similar to the red and embeds it within itself. In practice this means that we feel we have spent some time while beholding the absolute state - formerly we were in the red state, now we're in the green state which contains within itself fractally embedded the red state as memory. Then we have the blue state which nests within itself the green and the red. Now we feel we have spent even more time. From the standpoint of the blue state we feel that in the past we were in the green state and even further in the past in the red. And so on.

This is as explicit as I can get about this. My goal is to illustrate that when people think of the absolute state, the perfect self-similar fractal of states of being, they forget to account for their continuing progression of states (even if mystical states). From this standpoint it seems as stagnation to be limited to behold that perfect state. But this seems so only when again and again we fail to include our own states in the perfect self-similar fractal.

This in itself means that the absolute state can never be experienced as something through time. Remember - linear time is not an absolute law of the Cosmos but more like a relative effect of states that seem to implode as memory integration. So the absolute state is more like an asymptotic limit (as seen from our temporal perspective). The difficult thing to imagine (it requires some meditative effort) is that the more we approach the absolute state, the more linear time loses significance. All potential past and future states approach eternal simultaneity but without some external time from which we can observe that simultaneity! And now if this feels as stagnation, I can only point once again to the above drawing and remind that one once again splits himself and blindly feels himself to be some outside consciousness ticking along its own time and integrating its own memory.

Now to return to the one law of existence. We can experience as temporal evolution only such states which seem to gradually integrate self-similarly. In other words, we can experience as our next state only that which embeds self-similarly the previous (felt as memory). This is not really some arbitrary law. It's similar to the anthropic principle. We take that from the facts, it simply can't be otherwise. If our next state isn't self-similar to the previous ones (it doesn't embed them as memory) it simply won't feel as 'next' state. It will feel as some completely different flow of being with its own history. For example if my next state is that of John Smith that I don't even know, this would never feel as stream of existence proceeding from my current state. For this to happen, John Smith's state should have within itself something of my current state as memory. This would allow me to say "I was following my world line of states previously but then suddenly teleported into the state of John Smith" (actually I'll feel as a new being, a merger of two world-lines and I won't be able to tell if it's me who has overtook John's memory, which will be included in my state or I'm John who experiences the addition of my world-line. This is given only as an illustration and not to suggest that this particular type of merging actually happens). But notice that there should be something self-similar in the new modified John Smith's state which contains the reverberation of my previous world line. Without this I would simply become John Smith and I'll feel that I have always been following his world line of memory integration. In other words, all this is fully consistent with the understanding that there's no such special entity which carries some identity. All feeling for identity is contained in any given state as the reverberation of self-similar states which are felt as memory of a world-line of integration.

Another question may be "Why can't I make my next state any future state I want? For example, when I'm waiting on a line I may want to jump directly to the state where it's my turn." Let's think this through. Let's imagine that we indeed do that and we shortcut directly to a future state. But this state would be self-similar to other states which will 'fill the gaps' and will feel like the memory world-line which has led us to our future state. In fact, we would never be able to tell if we have really experienced the gap of states or we simply teleported. So we should be clear that such questions demand something specific. They say "I want to teleport to a future state but I don't want to simply fast-forward to there but to explicitly have the memory that I have skipped a whole line-segment of states." It will be left for another time, but we can gain an intuition of why such an artificial state can never integrate properly with the past states.

Think about this: at this moment are you sure you were 'there' when you clicked on the link leading to this post? Most people would reply "Of course, I vividly remember, I know that I experienced this moment. I was 'there'." But what is this past moment besides a conscious memory phenomenon within the now moment? If we think this through we'll see that all moments actually can be thought to exist simultaneously. It's only their relative self-similar nature that makes them feel as proceeding from each other. So temporal evolution is really the experience of rhythmic integration of states of being towards the absolute state where all states are nested into a self-similar eternal now. The more we approach the absolute state, the more simultaneous existence becomes.

Seen in this way, existence consists in experience of temporal world-lines that integrate towards the absolute state. Here one may object once more "But I don't want to approach the absolute state. I want to explore fragmented states forever." But this is exactly what we're doing! The Cosmos experiences the infinite ways of integrating from highly differentiated states of being into the absolute and in this process experiences infinite variety of states. This requires some stretch of mind to grasp. We should cease thinking about evolving towards the absolute state as approaching the last train station of a journey. The journey itself is integration of states of being which give the feeling of linear time but the more self-similar the states become (macrocosmic) the more the notion of sequential progression of states loses its significance. From that perspective the journey has never even started.

The simple reason these things are difficult to approach seriously is not other but the intellectual ego which seeks to preserve its lineralized existence. This is the actual self-test especially for those non-dualists who insist that the ego is an illusion. What is it if not the ego, which is worried that it's existence will end? Only that which is locked in the temporal progression can fear eternity. If it helps, we can think of the absolute state not simply as the end of evolution but also as that which contains all possible beginnings. Beginnings and ends are simultaneous in the absolute state. This is also the reason we shouldn't worry about the stagnation of evolution towards the absolute state. As explained, this fear can exist only when we imagine that all existence ends as we approach it and moreover - that we will somehow (and quite paradoxically) be conscious that all life has ended in stagnation. But as said, the more we approach it, not only that we don't find the end of existence but also all its possible beginnings which are waves of new world-lines that will experience temporal evolutionary arcs through the absolute potential.

When we get a good feeling for all this, we'll also understand that all laws of nature actually depict the one law of integration of memory. From the infinite possible states we can experience as our next only those which embed our current. This also explains the mystery of the arrow of time which bewilders physicists. This is mysterious only as long as we imagine that reality exists in itself independent of our experience. When we realize that there's no other reality than the integration of states of being, we understand that this is the only way we can experience time. Think about it - would we be able to speak of existence if every our next state had less and less memory? Clearly this does happen in rhythmical manner, such as the dimming of consciousness every night but overall, consciousness continues to integrate on the next day. If we never wake up we'll also not know that consciousness has dimmed. We only know that because we wake up in a new state which embeds within itself the states of dimming down on the previous night.

These are the real constraints of existence. It's not an artificial law created by some god, it's the self-evident impossibility to be in any other way. All conceivable states can be considered to be equally possible for our next state but the vast majority would never feel as proceeding from our current, thus the continuity of consciousness would be broken. This can be explored even further through the rhythmic time waves which is connected with the Schrodinger equation and why perceptions seems to be decomposable onto matter waves of different frequencies but that will be a topic for another time. For now it's enough to consider that from the relative perspective of a state, all other states seem to interfere within it either constructively or destructively. In this sense, our current state of being is one where those states which we call our past life, interfere constructively, while all other states (not only 'ours' but any conceivable state of any being) interfere destructively and thus seem non-existent. In this sense, the absolute state is one which sees the whole infinite potential as constructive interference.
Anthony66

Post by Anthony66 »

Cleric K wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:33 am
Anthony66 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:52 pm How do we understand the source or origin of thinking? What initiates a movement of thought? If we peer "behind the veil", how far back can we potentially go? Or will there always be a receding horizon that we can never reach?
Our spiritual activity (thinking) is always at the tip of becoming. This is true for any being, whether a human or a god. We always live at the edge of the event horizon, at the eternal transition between unknown unmanifest into the known and perceptible. In my experience it is misleading to imagine our thoughts as being created somewhere behind a veil and travelling along a pipeline until they emerge above the surface of consciousness. I know that I often speak about tracing the origin of thoughts but I mean that in a very specific sense. I'll try to explain.

Consider this video:

This is one of the more philosophical issues of PBS ST and understandably doesn't go in much depth, it's not the focus of the channel after all. I only wanted to point at Wheeler's approach with the negative questions.

The critical thing is to realize that our thoughts (for example verbal) become manifest only at the horizon of our consciousness. Behind the horizon they are only as the cloud of potential that continually gets narrowed down. Actually, it's much better to think about our thoughts not as something separate from everything else but about our whole state of being - the full spectrum of inner phenomena - like a total 'frame' of existence. We're in the process of eternal transition between 'frames'. Thoughts are only the most 'in focus' part of the frame, where perception and meaningful intent are in phase. In contrast, when my progression of state-frames present me with perceptions of a falling ball, I have perceptions but have no experience of meaningful intent which I can recognize as cause.

So our flow of being continually crystalizes into perceptions. When we speak of tracing the source of thoughts, as said, it's not really about gaining consciousness of some pipeline where thoughts approach us as readymade parcels from behind the veil. Instead we should imagine the process of continual narrowing down (in Wheeler's sense) of what our next state of being can be. For example, if I'm at home, my next states of being will most certainly be ones in which I have perceptions of my familiar environment. Then if I make a decision to go out, depending on the direction I take, different potential states will manifest. If I will my movement to the East, my stream of becoming will present me with states which have perceptions of the Eastward part of the city and correspondingly make perceptions of the Westward part unmanifest.

Seen in this way, it's not necessary to imagine the East or West states as arriving towards us on a conveyer belt from behind the veil. Instead, there's continual narrowing down of potential which is guided by our will.

In a similar sense, our thinking life, our life in ideas, is like blindfolded concretization of structured potential. Through our thinking will we make 'East' or 'West' thoughts more likely to manifest in our stream of becoming. If I've had an argument with someone, I've moved in a certain region of soul life, from whence my states crystalize. It depends on my inner life mastery how quickly I can move to another region. If I'm too easily affected, I'll be bogged down in a swampy region for a long time and I'll keep manifesting thoughts and feelings which continue to iterate over the argument. This doesn't mean that our thoughts arrive pre-made on a conveyer belt. Yet it's admissible to speak of origin of thoughts inasmuch as we speak of the potential well of states from within which we narrow down our thinking states.

Or another example - if I'm on a museum tour, the guide leads me through various exhibits of which I think. This doesn't mean that my thoughts arrive premeditated on a conveyer belt, yet the guide certainly narrows down the potential from which my thinking states will manifest. For example, if she leads me to the Mona Lisa portrait, this makes it much more likely that my states of being will narrow down into thinking about Mona Lisa and not about apples and pears. In this sense we can still speak of origin of thoughts as long as we're clear that we're speaking of this narrowing down of potential from within which our states manifest.

This is key. We can understand this only if we properly grasp the hierarchical time rhythms within whose context we manifest our states. At the tip of our thinking becoming we always feel that we're creatively involved in the manifestation of thoughts. Yet we're barely conscious of the palette of possible thought-states that is being continually narrowed down until it becomes perceptible at the horizon.

In this sense, to trace the origin of thinking we shouldn't fantasize some conveyer belt where verbal thoughts approach us premeditated but we should seek the feeling for the living context which continually gets narrowed down into perceptions (which recede as memory).

Now the key to higher cognition is that this structured potential can be known in various degrees. This is evident even from the simple example above - if we recognize our affected stated, we already have grasped some of the curvature of the potential that we're forced to crystalize. From here it's a matter of inner work to find the degrees of freedom of our becoming through which we can navigate more freely the regions which are being narrowed down into perception. For example, if we manage to utilize our feeling degrees of freedom, we may be able to transform our pride and escape the clutches of affection. Then we're free to manifest other regions of potential, which would otherwise have been inaccessible while we were busy manifesting thoughts and feelings about the argument.

When this process continues it becomes possible to know even higher order curvature of meaningful potential. That's how it is possible for SS to speak about the past and the future. On a higher level it becomes evident that the states of Earthly life funnel in certain direction. We make plans based on our limited perspective but at the same time the macro-structure of the dream narrows down in certain direction and ultimately we're forced to manifest our states from within that potential. The points of conception and death are two poles within which our states funnel. This is quite self-evident also in the case of planetary motion for example. We may wish that our next state can be anywhere in Cosmic space but in reality all our states of being are narrowed down within a palette which is consistent with the perceptual content of the Earthly planetary environment.

This may seem fantastic but in reality this is what planetary motions really are. What we see with our eyes is only the crystalized manifestation of states. From higher order perspective, the gods don't see a planet moving into some orbit. Instead, their activity shapes the potential curvature which is hierarchically being narrowed down. From the perspective of the gods, their activity is also experienced as becoming, as manifestation of potential. This is very well illustrated in Genesis where it's said "And Elohim said, “Let light come to be,” and light came to be. And Elohim saw the light, that it was good." These are very deep things and they speak directly of this horizon of manifestation. So even the Elohim manifest their activity from within unseen potential and only as it crosses the horizon becomes perceptible. The difference is that for the higher beings, what they manifest is the 'shape' of potential which can be further narrowed down. In this sense, the Light that the Elohim create is not simply photons travelling in space through time.

We can imagine it in a simplified way thus. Imagine that you take the 'frames' of inner life from a whole year of your life and superimpose them one over the other. All colors, sounds, thoughts, feelings - everything is superimposed and builds a superposition, similar to white light. Yet this superposition is not absolute white light. There are many more states that are missing. For example, there are no states in this superposition which correspond to the inner experience of beholding the Mars environment. So it's structured potential. Imagine that (I repeat that this is oversimplification) the Elohim thinks the superposition of states of being which correspond to one year of time. The Elohim sees these superimposed states from the same first-person perspective, just like we do. This superposition is structured such that it contains all possible (first-person) states of being that humans can go through within a year time. Through the narrowing down of this potential, many relative perspectives become possible which are consistent with each other. From within this narrowed potential, the Elohim's activity is experienced in its time-decohered form.
Anthony66 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:52 pm On another front, God is typically conceived of as disembodied. But is there always a "body" associated with thinking - something perceptible in some form, from some vantage point?
Once again, "body" is really the structure of potential which we manifest. Our visual perception of a body is only a 'map' of the structure of past potential. For example, when we exercise our will we can move our hand within a volume of possible positions. From purely experiential perspective, there's a palette for our will, beyond certain limits of which we start to experience pain. When we look at this with our eyes we see the 'map' of potential where we recognize the joints with their structure which correlates with the experience of willed movement and pain.

The goal here is to gradually learn to think differently. As long we start with the idea of space, bodies and then try to understand how consciousness embodies or disembodies from these things, we create for ourselves impossible hard problems. Instead, we should always return to the givens. Basically, it's all a question about metamorphosis from state to state and recognizing the constrains and degrees of freedom of this becoming. In certain sense, the perceptions of our body are like perceptual precipitation of our becoming which helps us grasp what is possible or impossible for our future becoming.

It's similar for a godly being, except that it doesn't fall for the trap that the constrains and freedoms of its becoming are shaped by some external body-in-itself. In principle, the life of a god is still about manifesting states of being within constrains of potential. The difference is that a god knows that the structured potential that it narrows down doesn't result from external mechanistic body but from deeper layers of spiritual activity (as for example the Son realizes his relation to the Father, or the tourist to the guide).

In a similar way, man will have to outgrow the Maya picture of the world and begin to think in terms of becoming, and recognizing the spiritual forces which shape the potential which is being continually narrowed down.

These are not easy things to grasp and require meditative effort. They certainly can't be reckoned with 15th century intellectual habits. In very short, we shouldn't imagine that already formed thoughts approach us from behind on a conveyer belt and we simply witness them and ask about their origin. Instead, we should think of the meaningful higher order intents which shape the general structure of the potential which is being continually narrowed down into the perceptual content of our states of being.
All of this certainly does require meditative effort!

If we speak in terms of "frames" and trace these back, is there a "first frame" or "alpha point" of frames? Again, here I'm exploring God-like concepts viewed from a SS perspective.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Anthony66 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:30 am All of this certainly does require meditative effort!

If we speak in terms of "frames" and trace these back, is there a "first frame" or "alpha point" of frames? Again, here I'm exploring God-like concepts viewed from a SS perspective.
Anthony, please consider my previous post to Eugene. It contains the answers to your question. I know it's difficult matter so we can further clarify things. The main thing is to overcome the default and quite unexamined feeling that we're an absolute observer of reality ticking along an independent clock and being aware of this flow of time (which presupposed also some absolute memory). We should really wrestle to feel how we smuggle this assumption when we speak of the first frame. We naively assume that we can take our current temporal consciousness and observe the first frame. We can never understand the mystery of Time through such abstract conceptions. We need to enter the living experience at the shockwave of our becoming. We need to experience our thinking becoming as a kind of growing process which implodes more and more states of being.