Bernardo vs Graham Oppy!!

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Bernardo vs Graham Oppy!!

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:15 pm I consider myself a Lichtgestalt ;)
Indeed, just like the Angels ;)

As for being a bit rushed, probably understandable if you actually have a day job to attend to, unlike some elders living the luxury of retirement from the workaday world ... just as long as you're not typing while driving and putting the corporeal 'costume' at risk of being torn to shreds, with the lichtgestalt left naked :o
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

I am a Lichtgestalt, yet I get evaded. Translate that to Latin anyone?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:34 pm I am a Lichtgestalt, yet I get evaded.
Well, hopefully not in this forum of fellow lichtgestalts ... even if we tend to fire laser weapons back and forth :mrgreen:
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Ok. So what did JW mean when he said we are entangled with the measurement apparatus. Or alternatively what was his best argument, if any?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:40 pm Ok. So what did JW mean when he said we are entangled with the measurement apparatus. Or alternatively what was his best argument, if any?

JW holds to a consistent monism, just like BK. But the reason both are "consistent" is because they create a black hole to suck in everything that makes their positions inconsistent and conveniently say, "sorry guys there is a black hole of knowledge here, so we can't go any further, and anyone who thinks they can further must be ignored". I am not even exaggerating. Everything natural phenomena is simply explained by rearranging intellectual concepts about what has already been discovered. And spirit-soul phenomena, i.e. our inner life, or the inner life of the Cosmos, is not explained at all.

I mean explanation in a rigorous scientific sense. Some apparently think a few concepts strung together which do not flatly contradict the phenomena, because they are so abstracted out they encompass all phenomena by their very definition, is an "explanation". That is not how I mean it and such explanations are never satisfying for the human will-to-meaning.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:50 pm
Mark Tetzner wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:40 pm Ok. So what did JW mean when he said we are entangled with the measurement apparatus. Or alternatively what was his best argument, if any?

JW holds to a consistent monism, just like BK. But the reason both are "consistent" is because they create a black hole to suck in everything that makes their positions inconsistent and conveniently say, "sorry guys there is a black hole of knowledge here, so we can't go any further, and anyone who thinks they can further must be ignored".
thanks. can you give an example where BK is blackholish?
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

No, Soul! Not at all. I love when you get 'stern'! Well, more specifically I love noticing the pattern. Unfortunately I'm not willing to guess about any psychodyamics that might underlie it :( I couldn't even begin to imagine. But it's hard to ignore the short crisp sentences and the detailed information they request. And then to not notice it. So, no, I can't guess at the inner side of it, but I can enjoy the fields of cherries. Maybe obscure reference.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Mark Tetzner wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:50 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:50 pm

JW holds to a consistent monism, just like BK. But the reason both are "consistent" is because they create a black hole to suck in everything that makes their positions inconsistent and conveniently say, "sorry guys there is a black hole of knowledge here, so we can't go any further, and anyone who thinks they can further must be ignored".
thanks. can you give an example where BK is blackholish?

Yes. Our entire inner experience of willing-feeling-thinking is a black hole for BK. Ironically, this ends up resulting in a mentality worse than standard physicalism. BK rightly perceives that physicalism strips out qualities of experience in its scientific approach and forgets that these have been stripped out from the material abstractions. BK knows these qualities are very important aspects of the natural phenomena, but since he enveloped our inner experience in black-holeness, this pings back and envelops all outer natural phenomena as well. So now BK cannot say anything about outer natural phenomena either, except they result from dynamics of "instinctive mind". He writes a book about Jung, but if asked how these 'archetypes of the collective unconscious' actually fit into natural science, his answer is the exact same as the materialist - they must have resulted from bottom-up evolution somehow and are limited to only instinctual patterned behavior.

Instead of mindless physical things evolving from the bottom-up, its mindless 'mental' things. And if I were to ask him, "what about all the documented and experiential evidence for the evolution of cognition itself over the last several thousand years?", he would reply, "well those are interesting theories, but they can only remain pure speculation, regardless of the evidence, because that sort of thing is beyond any objective scientific inquiry". That's exactly what JW responded to me as well. So conveniently they have black-holed all the evidence which tends to reveal the inherent flaws in their own philosophical-spiritual worldview. That's also what JW must have been thinking when reading Cleric's post about concretely experiencing logically reasoned thoughts as higher order musical activity - "but I already black-holed any such concrete experience for everyone, so he must be fantasizing and speculating and it's not worth my time to even consider".
Last edited by AshvinP on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

findingblanks wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:38 pm No, Soul! Not at all. I love when you get 'stern'!
OK, go to your room without dinner and practice Thinking :idea:
Mark Tetzner

Post by Mark Tetzner »

Thanks Ashvin, it does not make complete sense to me but thanks for taking the time to respond.