If thinking could mean...

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
findingblanks

If thinking could mean...

Post by findingblanks »

My goal with this thread is to hear (outloud and not privately!) from three new people. My hunch is that if I'm lucky, I'll hear from two. But if one new person drops in, I'll write you a poem. And if anybody plays in here, I'll be super happy.

Okay....

Think of three instances in your life where you experienced yourself in deep thought. If possible, think of three instances that are as far apart as possible. I just mean that if you are a painter and you have one instance where you went very deep cognitively to solve a problem, see if there are two more good instances outside of painting for your other examples. But it's not a big deal if you draw from the same context. So don't worry about that :) Also, if your life provides a context in which you periodically get to dip into your deepest experience of really thinking, yes, it can definitely be current examples.

Okay, let yourself relive those three rich examples so that you can really call back the process as much as possible.

Try to give a small little poetic name to that experience...something that doesn't close it down intellectually but somehow 'touches' it. It might be an odd phrase like, "The blooming warm buzz..." or "driving down into it" or "a heavy float".... All that matters is that for you the words point into the experience.

Look up a dictionary definition of 'thinking' and write it down. Get one that sort of seems okay.

Dwell in your evocation until you have a little handle on the experience and read the definition of thinking. Simply notice how it doesn't capture it very well.

And what I would love is a sentence (not very long actually) that you write from within your felt sense of this capacity, a sentence that flows from the following prompt:

"If thinking could be exactly what I want (need...know...)it to mean, it would mean....."

I am NOT looking for philosophical breakthroughs. I'm not looking for anything to argue about. I'm not looking for insights.

I'm just wanting any sentences that make sense to the person who wrote them. They can sound utterly delusional like:

"If thinking could mean exactly what I wanted it to mean, it would mean knowing the edge of an event from within the edge."

All that matters is that when YOU write he sentence you experience it carrying forward your meaning.

Typically this kind of post gets a shy response. I get that. But it's worth asking. I'll share mine if and when others have jumped in. And, yes, I'm open to the private messages and responses. I fully appreciate that it seems many people simply don't feel comfortable dialoging in this context. But, if possible, see if sharing it here might be okay. And thanks to those of you who try this and then keep it inward. I get that too! Goodnight.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: If thinking could mean...

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

findingblanks wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:11 am My goal with this thread is to hear (outloud and not privately!) from three new people.
Not surprisingly, since BK severed the link to this forum from his blog, there hasn't been one new sign-on. So currently it'll be up to whatever lurkers there may be, who for whatever reason don't participate in the commentary, to help with your goal.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

We shall see. I'm trying to encourage a few people from the study group to sign up and at least lurk at all the fascinating conversations in this group.
dkpstarkey

Post by dkpstarkey »

findingblanks wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:11 am
"If thinking could be exactly what I want (need...know...)it to mean, it would mean....."
Thanks, fb, I can tell you're a Gendlin reader, as I am.

If thinking could be exactly what I want it to mean, it would mean, putting a question into words, asking it, listening for a response, and receiving one. It would be a dialogue with... the vastness, the daemon, the universe. It would continue as long as I have questions.

The discussions that get my attention around here are the very ones that I'm averse to getting involved in. It's almost like watching a cage match... I wouldn't be caught dead in there. :shock:
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

dkp, so nice to meet you!

One thing that really speaks to me in your response your naming the process of moving from a nonverbal experience (a question) into forming the words; but even more I like how your 'thinking' includes the interaction itself with the other, a continuing that is grounded in the questions. That is evoking a stirring that I want to stay with. Thanks. Yes to Gendlin. My first emails with Gendlin were all about Goethe's morphology and it was...exquisite.

Can't thank you enough. Mind if I direct message you?
dkpstarkey

Post by dkpstarkey »

Glad to hear this makes sense to you. DMing would be fine.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

dkpstarkey wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 pm The discussions that get my attention around here are the very ones that I'm averse to getting involved in. It's almost like watching a cage match... I wouldn't be caught dead in there. :shock:
Hey dkp ... welcome back from lurkland ... Now if only I can figure out a way to charge admission to the 'cage' matches 🤼
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
oqtavius

Post by oqtavius »

If thinking could be exactly what I want it to mean, it would mean sweet patronage to the blossoming of self-realized consciousness.
dkpstarkey

Post by dkpstarkey »

findingblanks wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:34 pm dkp, so nice to meet you!

One thing that really speaks to me in your response your naming the process of moving from a nonverbal experience (a question) into forming the words; but even more I like how your 'thinking' includes the interaction itself with the other, a continuing that is grounded in the questions. That is evoking a stirring that I want to stay with. Thanks. Yes to Gendlin. My first emails with Gendlin were all about Goethe's morphology and it was...exquisite.

Can't thank you enough. Mind if I direct message you?
I hope to hear more, maybe even your own statement about thinking?
findingblanks

Post by findingblanks »

Yes, I'll be coming back soon to share mine. The holidays are kicking my rump right now :)