(Short) Freeing the Force of Gratitude

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

(Short) Freeing the Force of Gratitude

Post by AshvinP »

"I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified."
(1 Corinthians 14)

Many cultures and traditions speak of "being grateful" to God for what we have and what we are. But these platitudes begin wearing thin after some time, losing the vitality they once had. We grow skeptical of these hallmark moments and wonder, "what is so special about being grateful anyway?" That is a serious question and it deserves a serious answer. It is through our understanding that these withering platitudes can be transfigured and resurrected back into a vital life as concrete realities within us. That is, by engaging our thinking to understand why we should be grateful, we are, at the same time, genuinely singing praise to God for those qualities and edifying our own spirit about who we are and who we could be. We are thinking be-ings, evolving from the depths of unconsciousness, and we could be ever-more conscious Thinking be-ings. What if we could discern by this Thinking how every rich and aesthetic quality of our experience was gifted to us by a profound inner logic of the Cosmic organism? What if we could concretely discern the 'force of Gratitude', just as we do the 'force of Gravity', working within and through the natural processes around and within us?

The word "memory" originally means this incessant concentration on contiguity. In its original telling sense, memory means as much as devotion. This word possesses the special tone of the pious and piety, and designates the devotion of prayer, only because it denotes the all-comprehensive relation of concentration upon the holy and the gracious. The thanc unfolds in memory, which persists as devotion. Memory in this originary sense later loses its name to a restricted denomination, which now signifies no more than the capacity to retain things that are in the past.

But if we understand memory in the light of the old word thanc, the connection between memory and thanks will dawn on us at once. For in giving thanks, the heart in thought recalls where it remains gathered and concentrated, because that is where it belongs. This thinking that recalls in memory is the original thanks.

- Martin Heidegger, What is Called Thinking?

Through this devotional Thinking, our expressions of gratitude are all the more rich and meaningful, because we have perceived how the forces we are grateful for are not only things long past and forgotten, but are still gathered and concentrated together in our immanent Thinking experience. My purpose here would not be to formulate a 'law of Gratitude', even if I could. As little as I know the inner mathematical workings of the gravitational force, just as little do I know those of the gratitudinal force. That lack of detailed knowledge does not stop me, however, from perceiving that there is a lawful force weaving through the Cosmos which is rooted in processes well beyond my intellectual grasp, as Heidegger also perceived. When I drop a ball, it falls to the Earth before bouncing back up to my hand, and when I articulate a grateful prayer in devotion, it soars off into the Cosmic depths before it is reflected back into my inner thinking experience. And when it returns, it has a vitality which I could not have possibly given it on my own.

But is this lawful dynamic only limited to my devotional prayers? Perhaps the force of gratitude also acts upon my regular thoughts throughout the course of the day. We seldom stop to reflect on what forces are at work when we are thinking, even though we are thinking every moment we are awake. When I stop at the pump to fill my car's gas tank, it is only wise to know what sort of gas it takes, how much it can take, how many miles it can get from a tank, etc. Even if I don't know those things, it is plainly obvious to me that I could know them if I chose to. Do we ever feel the same way about knowing more about the energetic source of our thoughts which is called "Thinking"? I am asking a lot of questions that I don't have precise answers to, because the point here is only to stimulate our thoughts in a direction where the process of finding the answers may be found. We must first have some trust that our Thinking can answer these questions if we ask them with persistence, patience, good will, and gratitude.

I assume most people have sensed the enriching experience, however dimly, of being genuinely grateful when reflecting thoughtfully upon their existence. We can ask ourselves what would make such a force of gratitude possible? These experiences do not simply manifest out of a void. If a rock hits me in the head, it is only reasonable to think that this rock came from somewhere; from some active agency in the world. It is not at all reasonable to think that my own limited agency manifested the rock and hit myself in the head with it. That is, however, how modern man feels about his own thoughts. By failing to ask reasonable questions about the origin of these thoughts, and to follow the threads of logic with our Thinking, we are claiming our thoughts all for ourselves. We have then made ourselves into the supreme manifester of thoughts. That is a sentiment which stimulates the opposite spiritual disposition of gratefulness - pride. The forces of gravity and magnetism express themselves through a polar dynamic of attraction and repulsion, while the force we speak of here expresses itself through gratefulness and pride.

When we are grateful, we pull the moral qualities of Be-ing closer to our own sphere of activity, and when we are prideful, we push them further away. We should try hard to avoid approaching these considerations with any feelings of liking or disliking here; sympathy or antipathy. The attraction-repulsion dynamic of the gravitational force clearly consists in a Wisdom beyond our intellectual grasp, and so does the gratitude-pride dynamic of this underlying moral force. Our feelings can only serve to block our own understanding of the dynamic at this point; we are only hurting ourselves by approaching it with our sympathies and antipathies (which are themselves an expression of the attraction-repulsion dynamic). Instead, we can begin attuning our thoughts to our feelings and desires by dispassionately perceiving the inner logic at work in these Cosmic forces. Instead of thinking with likes and dislikes, we can adopt a thinking imbued with solemnity, yet also enthusiasm and joyousness

"It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
To declare Your loving kindness in the morning,
And Your faithfulness every night,
On an instrument of ten strings,
On the lute,
And on the harp,
With harmonious sound.
For You, Lord, have made me glad through Your work;
I will triumph in the works of Your hands.
O Lord, how great are Your works!
Your thoughts are very deep.
A senseless man does not know,
Nor does a fool understand this."
(Psalm 2)

One way to avoid this myopic mode of prideful thinking is to broaden out our own Time-consciousness, i.e. to focus on the High Ideal of Metamorphosis and perceive how Thinking itself has evolved over the epochs of human history. The ancient imagery of cross-cultural mythology and poetry practically embeds the force of gratitude into all of its manifold expressions. Our ancient ancestors had very little sense of 'creating' their own thoughts from within. Instead, what we now call "thinking" and "thoughts" were experienced concretely as outward revelation and then translated into the oral and written mythology which survives to present day. How could one feel anything but the most sublime gratitude if all thoughts were experienced as the gifts of the gods and spirits weaving through the world processes? We assume the Psalmist above was simply in a rare ecstatic state, or cobbling together intellectual concepts like we do now, but what we concretely discern in the words above with our own grateful Thinking defies that assumption.

Our current intellectual state is really a chaotic mix of desires, feelings, and thoughts, speeding through our limited sphere of consciousness with very little meaningful structure. Just as the bold and stabilizing force of gravity appears to break down when we plunge into the 'chaotic' quantum scale, so does the force of gratitude appear to break down when plunging into our own intellect. Yet these are only appearances which are reflecting back to us our own chaotic thinking state. In this fragmented state, all of our thoughts appear as our own creations because we have no better explanation for them; we simply don't know about our own thoughts, so we make ourselves their origin to avoid constant uncertainty. It is precisely our living Thinking which can trace back the processes which weave our thoughts together and thereby reveal how they originate well beyond the domain of our own atomized ego. We are not seeking an abstract quantum "theory" of gratitude here, but concrete perception of the reasons for the gratitudinal force's undeniable meaning in our lives.

At the time of Midsummer, when the Northern or Southern hemisphere is tilted towards the Sun's illuminating rays, the higher-order forces which weave together our inner experience are more easily discerned. Therefore, we are more naturally and subconsciously grateful for the Cosmos at this time. In the Winter, however, the Earth tilts away from the Sun's rays and the gratitudinal forces have weakened greatly. Just as the Earth adorns a raiment of snow in the Winter which reflects away the Sunlight raying forth from the Cosmos, the sphere of man's ego reflects away the thought-rays which approach him from the spiritual 'beyond'. Man, like the Earth herself, is then left to fend for himself through his inner thought-life; through whatever thought-energy he had wisely stored up during the Summer. It is especially during this time that we must consciously discern the force of gratitude working within us to maintain our thought-connection to the Cosmic whole. That is the deeper meaning of the Christmas festival at Midwinter, when we are prompted to look inwards for the brilliant luminescence of the Sun stored up within.

"Therefore take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness. If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, the whole body will be full of light, as when the bright shining of a lamp gives you light."
(Luke 11)

That fullness and lightness of our inner lamp redeems the force of gratitude in and through our thinking experience, just as the Sun's light redeems the Earth when the Winter finally ends and Spring begins. Our inner knowledge sets this force of gratitude free from the darkness which had enveloped it after our Fall from Grace. We may then discern, in the most concrete way, that all of our thoughts are only possible because they have been reflected back to us by higher be-ings who weave them through the structured and meaningful forces of Love and Gratitude. Since we only experience the world content through the mediation of our thinking activity, we then understand the reason why we should be grateful to these higher order be-ings for all that we experience. We are then rebirthing the withering platitude of gratitude back into a new life from within ourselves. This resurrected force of Gratitude can truly stabilize and harmonize the celestial motions of our inner Cosmos. It can bring our soul and spirit out of the dark quantum depths and back into the steadily evolving orbit of our Sun. 
Last edited by AshvinP on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Re: (Short) Freeing the Force of Gratitude

Post by Lou Gold »

Another way is to give whatever one would like to receive, as is detailed in the devotional practice of the prayer attributed to Saint Francis.

Of course, context matters a lot. As an old guy in his end zone, I can testify that feeling grateful for waking and walking on this day and in this way is a worthy offering and profound experience.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:54 pm ...
That was great, Ashvin! Such an important topic! This Gratitude-Pride axis is such an important thing. Before I saw your essay I was going to elaborate a little more on what I said in the TCT thread but I didn't want to make another long post:
Cleric K wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:00 pm The world content is a collective painting. Even a single thought of ours is not entirely ours. It's true that we feel fully responsible for the paintbrush stroke but we're not responsible for the brush, the paint, the canvas. We're simply doing our part of the painting. The great painters of the past used to place the main strokes but allowed the apprentices to fill some of the details. We're not consciously responsible for our body, its life, our sympathies and antipathies. These are the constraint within which we paint our part.
I intended to add that the above in itself means we should have very specific soul mood about everything we experience. The Pride manifests because we imagine that we're in full control of our spiritual conduct. I've said many times that materialists are much more objective here than most spiritualists. The former at least recognize that there are many layers of pre-processing before their thoughts emerge as pixels on the screen. The latter imagine that what they think is their top-level creation, independent of anything else. The former have the right idea about the depth but they declare that it's not possible consciousness to penetrate there, thus the depth can only be modelled with more and more pixels on the screen. The latter naively accept that their thinking doesn't demand any explanation, that they think what they think because it's their divine decision. This is supreme pride.

In reality everything in us is collective work. Every thought we think is a collective act. We provide the ideal impetus but it only manifests within specific constraints of which we're quite unaware. We're manifesting our thoughts only from a quite limited palette (call it wave function if you will). We don't try to investigate what filters that palette. In addition, the thought perception would not manifest if countless beings would not accommodate that impetus and provide the perceptual elements that our thinking shapes (cymatics). It's of great value if from time to time we try to feel our conscious contents as a garden with gentle and very fragile flowers. Most of our thinking looks like jumping with our boots on and trampling over everything that has been created with so much care and love.

I know that this sounds ludicrous for modern man but it is nevertheless so. As we evolve we would have to understand that every act of our spiritual activity is like creating small gesture with our finger in a water container - we can't do that without disturbing the water in the whole container. Not only that the water is both the substance and the environment without which our thoughts could never manifest (gratitude) but we must always be attentive to the fact that we're disturbing the world content, which is the collective work of many beings. This latter part is what prayer must evolve into. Everything we think, feel and do should feel as an act within a sacred garden where countless beings work tirelessly. When we trample with our boots on we're not only prideful but also disrespectful to all that work that has been and is being done. We're destroying the gentle flowers that have been nurtured for eons and only now begin to raise their fragile sprouts above the ground. So all our spiritual activity will need to transform to something akin to prayer. This means to understand what everyone else is doing in the garden so that we don't destroy their work and with that - the healthy conditions for our own work.

This of course sounds overwhelming for modern man "I barely can manage my chaotic thoughts and now in addition I have to pay attention how I think them?". And it is true that such awareness will be developed only gradually. But even today this can be used in its practical dimensions. One important exercise is to get in the habit to declare our intentions before the Cosmic organism. It's like giving a turn signal with our car - everyone can be aware what we intend to do and adjust their conduct if needed or honk at us to prevent us from doing so. This may sound silly but anyone who experiments with these things will find out how real transformations begin to manifest in us, how our consciousness expands into volumes hitherto unsuspected. Even something as simple as going on an excursion can become such an exercise. We can send our intentions like if saying "Living beings, I'm going to leave my home now. I'll be moving through you and I'll be making ripples within you. I'll meet many formless and formed of you along the way. Please accommodate my journey. Please help me not step on the flowers that you have sown. Help me to be awake and vigilant. Warn me if I'm going astray in whatever way you find appropriate. Point my attention to the things that I shall notice and learn from. Help me do something beneficial for the Garden we're all working on."

I know that the above will sound deeply disturbing to many. Most will think "Living beings? I'm not speaking to fantasies!" Yet this is the only way we can move from abstractions to reality. As long as we simply repeat MAL, MAL, MAL, it's all abstract - it's simply words in our mind, just as atoms and energy. We approach reality when we begin to find the living relations through which we're embedded in the depth of MAL. It's all living and intelligent. The key is to understand that these beings live where the meaning of our thoughts is. Their activity is reflected in everything in the world content, just as the meaning of our thoughts is reflected in the sounds of our inner voice. They think the meaningful curvature through which the states of our being unfold.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

PS: "By chance" this is the thought of the day by a spiritual master:
A man who doesn't thank with his mind, a man who doesn't thank with his heart, a man who doesn't thank with his soul, he can not be in connection with the Universe - there can be no renewal and thought can not grow. With gratitude in the mind, with gratitude in the heart, with gratitude in the soul begins mental development, soul and heart development, or spiritual development.
Please note that here mind, heart, soul are not simply poetic fillers. These are the depth gradient of our being. I might be grateful 'in theory' (mind) but my heart may be closed. I might be grateful in my heart (feelings) but still leave other beings outside my soul. These are levels of pride that must be transfigured into gratitude.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Thanks everyOne for being thankful for eachOther, and nurturing some seeds of insight here... deep gasshō
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

I add my appreciation to Ashvin for this meditation on gratitude. I particularly liked
Ashvin wrote:As little as I know the inner mathematical workings of the gravitational force, just as little do I know those of the gratitudinal force. That lack of detailed knowledge does not stop me, however, from perceiving that there is a lawful force weaving through the Cosmos which is rooted in processes well beyond my intellectual grasp, as Heidegger also perceived.
My question is: How does Cognitive Metamorphosis derive God? I seem to recall a statement that a universal mind was an unwarranted abstraction. I've obviously missed something important (no irony intended).
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:02 pm I add my appreciation to Ashvin for this meditation on gratitude. I particularly liked
Ashvin wrote:As little as I know the inner mathematical workings of the gravitational force, just as little do I know those of the gratitudinal force. That lack of detailed knowledge does not stop me, however, from perceiving that there is a lawful force weaving through the Cosmos which is rooted in processes well beyond my intellectual grasp, as Heidegger also perceived.
My question is: How does Cognitive Metamorphosis derive God? I seem to recall a statement that a universal mind was an unwarranted abstraction. I've obviously missed something important (no irony intended).

Thanks, Ben.

There are many ways of answering this question and most of Cleric's posts address it. We are not trying to "derive" God or spiritual reality of manifold beings, but to concretely perceive their activity in the phenomena around and within us via our Thinking-sense. "Derive" is what we are forced to do IF we remain with our understanding rooted in intellectual abstractions like "MAL" (and it's easy to derive all of reality from such a broadly abstracted concept, but it provides absolutely no edification of our spirit on the natural phenomena), but we don't need to remain in the domain of abstract speculation to begin with. We have drawn that chalk circle around ourselves, so we can also step out of it ourselves. So the first step is rediscover our Thinking-sense as concrete spiritual organ of perception. In the context of this brief essay, just try to put yourself in the shoes of the ancient individual:

One way to avoid this myopic mode of prideful thinking is to broaden out our own Time-consciousness, i.e. to focus on the High Ideal of Metamorphosis and perceive how Thinking itself has evolved over the epochs of human history. The ancient imagery of cross-cultural mythology and poetry practically embeds the force of gratitude into all of its manifold expressions. Our ancient ancestors had very little sense of 'creating' their own thoughts from within. Instead, what we now call "thinking" and "thoughts" were experienced concretely as outward revelation and then translated into the oral and written mythology which survives to present day. How could one feel anything but the most sublime gratitude if all thoughts were experienced as the gifts of the gods and spirits weaving through the world processes? We assume the Psalmist above was simply in a rare ecstatic state, or cobbling together intellectual concepts like we do now, but what we concretely discern in the words above with our own grateful Thinking defies that assumption.

That is the cognitive metamorphosis we are speaking of, which also occurs microcosmically from infancy to adulthood, but we can scarcely remember much of our Thinking-experience beyond a few days if that. If we accept the above metamorphosis actually occurred, even as intellectual theory, then what we are speaking of is consciously rediscovering that Thinking-experience. There are many Thinking-tools at our immediate disposal, including devotional prayer as Cleric illustrated above.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Ashvin wrote:We are not trying to "derive" God or spiritual reality of manifold beings, but to concretely perceive their activity in the phenomena around
I see - so we know God by engaging deeply with his works. This makes sense (it appeals to the Romantic in me) up to the point where I find myself unable to be grateful for something (e.g. toothache, friends being diagnosed with early onset dementia and Parkinson's disease...).
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:41 pm
Ashvin wrote:We are not trying to "derive" God or spiritual reality of manifold beings, but to concretely perceive their activity in the phenomena around
I see - so we know God by engaging deeply with his works. This makes sense (it appeals to the Romantic in me) up to the point where I find myself unable to be grateful for something (e.g. toothache).
I suppose, thanks to the toothache, one is reminded about the benefit of taking care of one's teeth?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.