The Center of the Central Topic (Part 2)

Here both posters and comments will be restricted to topic-specific discourse. Comments should directly address the original post and poster. Comments and/or links that are deemed to be too digressive or off-topic, may be deleted by a moderator.
mikekatz

Re: The Center of the Central Topic (Part 2)

Post by mikekatz »

Hello

So, I've been through parts 1-3 (thanks again Cleric!).

First off, I'm very happy to see Cleric and Eugene being on essentially on the same page with regards to this central discussion. As I said at the outset on my original post, I was surprised by the amount of overlap I saw between the two of you, and this confirms it.

I'm replying to the series here and not in part 3 because my own experiences, as far as I can see, are very much in line with Eugene's as expressed above in this topic.

Cleric:

The exercise in the first part is for me the similar to many versions of mantra-based meditations. They are indeed useful, and I practised one form of them for many years, and received much understanding in the process.

I found this part 2 of your essay difficult to experience, although I do understand what you are saying. It's just that it's too intellectual, and my mind just wants to get to grips with it as an external logic exercise. However, Eugene rescued me here, especially with the Spira quote.

Part three, with the Fourier metaphor, is for me a beautiful description of the flow of consciousness and how it sometimes is for me.

So, I kind of "get it". I get that there's the possibility of great spiritual growth, that the universe is not just flat, and that there could be hierarchies of being available to us. And I appreciate your efforts to unveil these possibilities.

Where I am, I accept that "Knowing that Knows only Knowing" could very well be only the starting point. But it's a necessary starting point. All that you are pointing to is the next step after Knowing that Knows only Knowing, and I'm mostly not at this step yet. Because of that, all talk of what could lie beyond is just tunnel mode intellectual games, which is counter-productive for me.

Eugene said this:
Basically, the "stepping out of the movie" is only the first stage of the practice when we dis-identify from the "me" character of the movie and learn to observe it objectively form a noninvolved "witness" perspective. But at the next stage we realize that there is no gap between the "witness" and the "movie", they are the same thing, the witness merges with the movie and the subject-object duality collapses. So, all your criticism is really about the first "stepping out" stage, and you are right, of course it is insufficient and transitory, but it is still a necessary step towards the full merge.
This fully lines up with my experience too, and so we have the stepping-out-of-the-movie step before the Knowing that Knows only Knowing step.

And even the stepping-out-of-the-movie step is not trivial. Part of the quote in my original topic from Ouspensky:
I spoke of my observations and deductions to the people in our group as well as to my various literary friends and others. I told them that this was the center of gravity of the whole system and of all work on oneself; that now work on oneself was not only empty words but a real fact full of significance thanks to which psychology becomes an exact and at the same time a practical science. I said that European and Western psychology in general had overlooked a fact of tremendous importance, namely, that we do not remember ourselves; that we live and act and reason in deep sleep, not metaphorically but in absolute reality. And also that, at the same time, we can remember ourselves if we make sufficient efforts, that we can awaken. ...

And not having seen the magnitude of the idea he of course could not see the central position which the idea of the absence of consciousness and the idea of the possibility of the voluntary creation of this consciousness ought to occupy in our thinking. Only it seemed strange to me that Volinsky could not see this even when I pointed it out to him.

I subsequently became convinced that this idea was hidden by an impenetrable veil for many otherwise very intelligent people—and still later on I saw why this was so.
(emphasis mine)

What Ouspensky is saying here, and what I can attest to fully, is that it's very difficult if not impossible to get many, if not most, people to actually experience even stepping out of the movie. People think they know what it means, they can intellectually assent to it, they can even say they are doing it, but they are not. And that's just stepping out of the movie! And as we are all agreed, stepping out of the movie is far away from Knowing that Knows only Knowing.

And so, Cleric, your frustration about people not understanding about thinking vs. Thinking, tunnel mode vs. funnel mode, higher levels of spiritual activity, etc., is very real. Your admirable efforts to get people to see are hampered just by this, that you are setting the starting bar of your discussions way too high. And this is precisely the reason that so many traditions require, at least initially, individual transmission of ideas and practice.

What all of the above means for me, and I emphasize for me only, is that the discussions on this forum are of limited value. I hope I don't offend anyone, I certainly don't mean to. I'm just at a different stage in my path.

I wish everyone an amazing year!
Mike
Eugene I.

Post by Eugene I. »

mikekatz wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:21 pm What all of the above means for me, and I emphasize for me only, is that the discussions on this forum are of limited value. I hope I don't offend anyone, I certainly don't mean to. I'm just at a different stage in my path.
You are right, Mike, philosophical views are actually secondary, they are just expressions and formulations of the underlying modes of our consciousness functioning and perceiving of the world (which most often happens subconsciously so we don't even realize that the way we are perceiving and understanding the reality is a product of our own mind and its inner dispositions and beliefs). So really the incompatibilities of philosophical systems that people adhere to are the expressions of the incompatibilities between their modes/states of consciousness. Still, through these discussions and critical studying of these philosophies we can identify the problems and inconsistencies in them that often point to more fundamental problems in the states of consciousness that are behind these philosophies.

Now, concerning the topic discussed, in spite of the unifying attempts there still seems to be an incompatibility between the anthroposophic and nondual paths/approaches, and a rejection of the nondual insight of "Knowing that Knows only Knowing" as irrelevant by anthroposophy (see here, here and here). And, as said above, this incompatibility of views points to a more fundamental incompatibility of the underlying states/modes of thinking and perceiving the reality.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

mikekatz wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:21 pm Cleric:

The exercise in the first part is for me the similar to many versions of mantra-based meditations. They are indeed useful, and I practised one form of them for many years, and received much understanding in the process.

Where I am, I accept that "Knowing that Knows only Knowing" could very well be only the starting point. But it's a necessary starting point. All that you are pointing to is the next step after Knowing that Knows only Knowing, and I'm mostly not at this step yet. Because of that, all talk of what could lie beyond is just tunnel mode intellectual games, which is counter-productive for me.

And so, Cleric, your frustration about people not understanding about thinking vs. Thinking, tunnel mode vs. funnel mode, higher levels of spiritual activity, etc., is very real. Your admirable efforts to get people to see are hampered just by this, that you are setting the starting bar of your discussions way too high. And this is precisely the reason that so many traditions require, at least initially, individual transmission of ideas and practice.

What all of the above means for me, and I emphasize for me only, is that the discussions on this forum are of limited value. I hope I don't offend anyone, I certainly don't mean to. I'm just at a different stage in my path.

I wish everyone an amazing year!
Thanks Mike!

Yes, I agree that one must feel clearly what they are drawn to. It's all so simple when someone like you says that for the time being they don't feel the need to go further, rather than argue endlessly about what's further without even trying to understand it. In such a case I can only thank you for your participation and hope that it has been of at least some value for you.

I just want to mention something about the mantra exercise. There's an important difference with the vowels exercise. In most cases the mantra is used as something to keep the inner voice rhythmically engaged. In a different way this is achieved through drumming and other rhythmic techniques. Ultimately it is used to help detach from the thoughts flow (step out and be aware). Repeating the mantra becomes embedded as a skill and we can leave our thinking to act out of memory habit as on autopilot, similarly to the way we drive our car out of habit, without thinking about the way we press the pedals, turn the wheel and so on.

In the vowels exercise it is actually the opposite. The goal is to fully engage in the thinking flow, to make it intimate expression of our fully conscious spiritual activity. This allows us to gradually become conscious of the deeper forces that work through our thinking voice. I tried to make visualization and explanation of this process in my latest post here.