Goals? Compare/contrast with other schools?

Here both posters and comments will be restricted to topic-specific discourse. Comments should directly address the original post and poster. Comments and/or links that are deemed to be too digressive or off-topic, may be deleted by a moderator.
carlodicelico

Goals? Compare/contrast with other schools?

Post by carlodicelico »

Hello, Philosophers!

Is the goal of Analytic Idealism to unify aspects of the so-called "analytic" and "continental" families of modern Western philosophy into a single cohesive and coherent framework? Or, what are its goals?

Secondly, much of what I understand so far strikes me as very similar to various other idealist-monist schools like Trika/Kashmir Shaivism or even perhaps Neoplatonism. How does Analytic Idealism compare/contrast to other idealist schools?

Thank you!
AshvinP

Re: Goals? Compare/contrast with other schools?

Post by AshvinP »

carlodicelico wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:06 am Hello, Philosophers!

Is the goal of Analytic Idealism to unify aspects of the so-called "analytic" and "continental" families of modern Western philosophy into a single cohesive and coherent framework? Or, what are its goals?

Secondly, much of what I understand so far strikes me as very similar to various other idealist-monist schools like Trika/Kashmir Shaivism or even perhaps Neoplatonism. How does Analytic Idealism compare/contrast to other idealist schools?

Thank you!
Carlo,

I don't see how, since there are quite a few continental and American phenomenological and pragmatic traditions which are very difficult to square with analytic idealism. That is because the "analytic" part tends to limit it to heavy reliance on abstract metaphysics, which is exactly what those other other traditions were trying to move away from, some more successfully than others. I have written a few essays highlighting thinkers in those other traditions if you are interested. Bergson, Jung, Steiner, Gebser, Barfield, Heidegger, to name a few.

The question of "goals" is a good one. As far as I can tell, analytic idealism only wants to challenege mainstream materialist philosophy and neuroscience. All other philosophies it ignores and all other sciences it either ignores or practically adopts from materialist formulations. Once in awhile it interacts with "panpsychism" (dualism) and speculates about psy-phenomena (telepathy, remote viewing, life after death, etc.) Beyond that, there does not seem to be any concrete goals.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
carlodicelico

Post by carlodicelico »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:03 am

Thank you!
Carlo,

I don't see how, since there are quite a few continental and American phenomenological and pragmatic traditions which are very difficult to square with analytic idealism. That is because the "analytic" part tends to limit it to heavy reliance on abstract metaphysics, which is exactly what those other other traditions were trying to move away from, some more successfully than others. I have written a few essays highlighting thinkers in those other traditions if you are interested. Bergson, Jung, Steiner, Gebser, Barfield, Heidegger, to name a few.

The question of "goals" is a good one. As far as I can tell, analytic idealism only wants to challenege mainstream materialist philosophy and neuroscience. All other philosophies it ignores and all other sciences it either ignores or practically adopts from materialist formulations. Once in awhile it interacts with "panpsychism" (dualism) and speculates about psy-phenomena (telepathy, remote viewing, life after death, etc.) Beyond that, there does not seem to be any concrete goals.
Yes, I'm very interested in reading some essays! :)
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

carlodicelico wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:53 am
AshvinP wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:03 am

Thank you!
Carlo,

Yes, I'm very interested in reading some essays! :)
Carlo,

You can find them in my profile here by following the link. They are also scattered around on this forum, but are centralized at that website. I am not sure exactly where to recommend starting, probably with "Kant v. Goethe (and the World)" or "12 Signs We are Dualists", because this implicit subject/object dualism we find in "critical idealism" (Kant/Schop) is critical to understand where modern metaphysics, epistemology, and philosophy/science in general went astray. I am happy to discuss the ideas further if you find them confusing at first.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"