Cleric's time consciousness

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cardenio

Cleric's time consciousness

Post by Cardenio »

Hi all, and thank you for the lively discussions on these topics. I also wish to extend a special thanks to Cleric. I have been trying to bring myself up to speed on some of these conversations and I have found myself consistently impressed at Cleric's ability to draw attention, in descriptions that are imaginative and yet exquisitely precise, to the spiritual activity behind thinking. I think the archives of this forum are a real treasure to anyone who wishes to follow the path of thinking and to be honest, I find some of the responses and rejections to Cleric's arguments somewhat surprising. After all, any disagreement must surely be premised on a closet confidence in the trustworthiness of the very thinking whose validity one is intending to question. Otherwise a person couldn't even affirm, believe, or understand his own disagreement. Doubtless many folks will find fault with my assessment and I will be happy to have my errors exposed, provided that they are indeed errors.

In any case, I was wondering if Cleric would be willing to elaborate on a bit of advice that he offered to someone who wishes to gain greater facility in navigating the so called "time-consciousness spectrum." At the end of the thread following viewtopic.php?f=5&t=509the essay of that title, Cleric wrote:
Understanding the higher order conscious spectrum requires certain shift in perspective. I'm saying 'understanding' and not 'directly experiencing' because it is completely possible to understand how ordinary consciousness is embedded in the higher order rhythms even if we don't yet see them for ourselves. Changing the way we think about time, for me at least, was the key which allowed my intellectual ego to find it's orientation. I can't describe what JOY this was giving me (and continues to this day). Both religion and mysticism demand from the ego a kind of renunciation of cognition and acceptance that it can never have any thoughtful experience of true reality but only a surrender to the flow of the heart. This was a major pain for me. When I discovered how to move along the Time spectrum, this was like a dream come true. It turned out that thinking could really live along the gradient of higher consciousness. A bridge was built! Of course, as said, it took me a long time to differentiate the actual forms of higher cognition from the intellectual thoughts. It was like placing them in their appropriate frequency bands. But the fact remains to this day that viewing the conscious World in terms of superimposed rhythms, not abstractly, but as expressions of creative ideas, gives me the most flexible language to translate between the higher experiences and intellectual terminology.

As mentioned in the essay, getting in habit to stop from time to time and paying attention to the temporal context, is of great value. Just as we can stop and assess our spatial position, starting from our current place, expanding outside our house, city, country, planet, galaxy, so we can do something similar in terms of time. At any point we can try to encompass what we are doing, what we were doing previously through the day, the previous day, what we're planning to do the next day, in what phase of our life we are and so on. When we do that we really begin to sense these superimposed fractally embedded rhythms within rhythms. One very effective exercise, which Steiner always recommended highly, is to do a retrospective walk backwards in time in the evening before bed. We practically calm down and begin from the current moment to walk towards the past in reverse order, passing through the daily events, until we reach the time we woke up in the morning. This is tremendously beneficial exercise. Not much happens initially but we gradually develop precisely these inner skill that allow us to expand the 'now' and encompass Time as a panoramic image.

The prospect of stopping periodically to reflect on the temporal context in which one's present activity is embedded makes perfect sense, intellectually at least. I wonder, Cleric, if you would be willing to expand a little bit and perhaps offer further guidance on how one can work with this. You described, in your case, a sort of epiphany that seems to indicate an experience together with an understanding. I can see the truth of these superimposed rhythms that you are pointing to but I have the sense that there is more to comprehend with this.

This way of relating to time seems almost "synchronic" or "panoramic." You have, I believe, alluded to a "diachronic" or phenomenological approach to time which you characterized as something like "the ability to integrate prior states in consciousness." I can also see the truth of this. I wonder if you have any recommendations for how to work with this aspect of time.

Finally, perhaps you would be willing to explain how these two aspects of time can be integrated with one another. Clearly they are not exclusive but I find myself challenged to grasp their unity.

Thanks and blessings to all.

Blind byþ bam eagum se þe breostum ne starat.
“Blind in both eyes, who sees not from the heart.”

—Durham Proverbs, ca. 11th Century

AshvinP

Re: Cleric's time consciousness

Post by AshvinP »

Cardenio wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:16 pm This way of relating to time seems almost "synchronic" or "panoramic." You have, I believe, alluded to a "diachronic" or phenomenological approach to time which you characterized as something like "the ability to integrate prior states in consciousness." I can also see the truth of this. I wonder if you have any recommendations for how to work with this aspect of time.

Finally, perhaps you would be willing to explain how these two aspects of time can be integrated with one another. Clearly they are not exclusive but I find myself challenged to grasp their unity.

[/font]

Hello Cardenio,

While we await Cleric's response, let me first thank you for this thoughtful question! When I read the essay you reference, it also opened up a lot of understanding for me and made things much more clear. So I am excited to get back into this topic and see what Cleric will add.

I tried to briefly explore this Time-consciousness in some essays, particularly one on "phenomenology of mechanism", and how it points to ways in which our phenomenal world is structured by the higher non-spatial spiritual realms.

https://www.theawakeningspirit.org/post ... -evolution
Husserl was speaking of the musical melody as an overarching idea which unites the 'frames' of the particular notes. We all have the experience of listening to new music and anticipating notes and lyrics before they are played and spoken. How do we explain this prophetic capacity? It is only because we perceive the overarching ideas of "melody" and "story" with our cognition - ideas which 'hover above' the individual parts of the song and invisibly unites them - that our cognition is able to discern those particular aspects of the composition within the ideal structure before they are individually perceived (heard). Take a few moments and let the implications of that observation sink in. What holds true for the "melody"-idea in music holds true for all overarching temporal ideas in our experience, such as "getting out of bed to take a shower", "finishing a paper for school", "going to work for the day", "taking a two-week vacation", "entering my 35th year of life", and so on. It is as if the ideal content of all activities, past and future, is already present in the ideal "now". We can also perceive how many ideas with shorter timespans are nested within increasingly fewer ideas as the timespans increase. The meaning of "going to work for the day" has no separate existence apart from the overarching idea of "living through my 35th year of life". Without the latter, the former ceases to have meaning.

This entire 'cone' of nested ideas structures all experience and that structuring explains the regularities of our inner experiences, i.e. our desires, feelings, perceptions, and thoughts. Remember, in genuine phenomenology we do not add any assumptions to the givens of experience, such as the assumption that "non-experiential material entities give rise to ideal structures". What is given to our experience is that ideal structures exist and we are assuming nothing more. Whenever we speak of the "spirit" of a people, culture, nation, epoch, or age, we are also referring directly to these overarching ideas which structure everything from the most personal to the most collective aspects of our existence.
https://www.theawakeningspirit.org/post ... intentions
We saw before how our concrete experience is structured by a 'cone' of nested ideas, with the shortest timelength ideas at the bottom and the longer timelengths manifesting as we move up towards the tip (this is simply a visual symbol and should not be understood as a literal "cone"). All shorter timelength ideas only have meaning in the context of the longer timelength ideas, and it is that totality of the ideal content - the single, eternal Idea (Goethe) - which structures our immanent experience of Nature's ever-evolving phenomena. How can all of these ideas with different timelengths, some as long as "the last 5000 years of humanity's evolution", structure a single moment of our experience? The most straightforward answer to this question, without going beyond the givens of our experience, resides in the fact that experiential time is not uniform. Hours will feel like minutes to someone who is engaged to Nature in deep cognitive activity, relative to how those same hours will feel to someone merely flirting with her. This 'sped up', more meaningful experience of time occurs precisely because our cogntive activity has bravely risked venturing into a more comprehensive and overarching idea further up the 'cone'.

Always try to remember that we are only working through what is given to our experience without layering any assumptions on top. What we have discovered in our phenomenology so far is also what Albert Einstein developed in a more precisely mathematical form with his Theory of General Relativity. His equations demonstrated that our experience of time will depend on our 'speed' in relation to other 'observers'. If we imagine "speed" and "observers" to be mere abstract measurements or entities which exist independent of the experiencing subject, however, then we have added an unwarranted assumption and have gone beyond the immediate givens of experience. What do we actually know, from experience alone, about our relative motion within spatial dimensions? We know that we only move anywhere when we are either seeking specified goals (or someone who is moving us is seeking their own goals), consciously or subconsciously, which sometimes is the goal of returning to where we were before. So when Emerson observed, "physical distances behind or before us are our images for memory and hope, respectively", he was sticking with what the phenomena of movement in spatial dimensions experientially disclosed to him and nothing more.

Another confirmation of this qualitative relativistic time-experience is our dreams. Everyone who has taken a quick nap with dreams has experienced how, what felt like several hours of rich and meaningful experience, was actually packed into 30 minutes of "normal" clock time. Is one time-experience of meaning more or less "real" than the other? Again, only our own unwarranted assumptions, imposed on the phenomenal states of wakefulness and dreaming, can reach such a conclusion at this point. What we know from the givens is that our time-experience shifts in our daily experience, with the concretely felt time expanding and contracting depending on what degree and mode of cognition we are engaged in. Are we meaningfully and intensely engaged with the phenomena we are contemplating, or are we mechanistically and begrudingly surveying them in our thoughts? Are we thinking in a state of wakefulness or in a dreaming state? There is yet another state in our daily experience where we perceive qualitative duration, but it appears that we cannot recall anything about this particular time-experience - deep and dreamless sleep. What are the chances that this state may be yet another liminal space of our experience?

True to our phenomenological method, we must admit this state remains almost entirely veiled to us. What we do know, however, is that we wake up every morning with continuity of experence from the previous day and a sense of duration passing. Even if we do not dream at all during our sleep, we sense that duration. Otherwise, it would be as if we had immediately woken up just as soon as we went to sleep. It is an enticing mystery that Nature presents to us here, is it not? Every day there is a liminal space we journey through without any recollection of what, if anything, was experienced on that journey, only knowing that some duration has passed and that we return from the journey with some more cognitive vitality than we had the night before. What is it that stops us from ever solving this foundational mystery of daily human experience? Does Nature want to keep this secret all to herself and forever sealed from prying minds? Could the answers to the most important riddles of Nature, guarded closely by the Sphinx, be found within this liminal space of our deep and dreamless sleep?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Cardenio

Post by Cardenio »

Thank you for the response, Ashvin, and for sharing your insights so eloquently and concisely in the excerpt from your essay. The formal archetype of music is immensely illuminating in respect to trying to grasp the essence of time. One statement that you made invited yet another question that I have often wondered about. You wrote
Hours will feel like minutes to someone who is engaged to Nature in deep cognitive activity, relative to how those same hours will feel to someone merely flirting with her.
If I have grasped your argument, someone who has attuned his consciousness to the longer temporal "waveforms" will experience an increase in the phenomenological flow of time because other phenomena proceed apace relative to the grander ideas. Conversely, someone who has attuned his consciousness to the shorter waveforms will experience a retardation of time for the reverse reason. Is this right? I was sick, perhaps with the dreaded "little o" last week, and it manifest, among other things, as an acute fever. The fever implies an elevation in heart rate and the frequency of attendant physiological functions and I observed just what you described: it was as though the frequency of the carrier waves of my consciousness had been elevated and the flow of time seemed dreadfully lethargic and dilatory by comparison. It gave me an insight into why we could always be
"bored" as young children whereas today, the emotion is difficult to understand. My question regarding the above is how to conceptualize this phenomenon of acceleration and deceleration viz. time as the integration of prior states in consciousness.

I can see you have an entire trove of essays at your page, which I have bookmarked, and I eagerly await diving into them.

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Cardenio wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:12 am Thank you for the response, Ashvin, and for sharing your insights so eloquently and concisely in the excerpt from your essay. The formal archetype of music is immensely illuminating in respect to trying to grasp the essence of time. One statement that you made invited yet another question that I have often wondered about. You wrote
Hours will feel like minutes to someone who is engaged to Nature in deep cognitive activity, relative to how those same hours will feel to someone merely flirting with her.
If I have grasped your argument, someone who has attuned his consciousness to the longer temporal "waveforms" will experience an increase in the phenomenological flow of time because other phenomena proceed apace relative to the grander ideas. Conversely, someone who has attuned his consciousness to the shorter waveforms will experience a retardation of time for the reverse reason. Is this right? I was sick, perhaps with the dreaded "little o" last week, and it manifest, among other things, as an acute fever. The fever implies an elevation in heart rate and the frequency of attendant physiological functions and I observed just what you described: it was as though the frequency of the carrier waves of my consciousness had been elevated and the flow of time seemed dreadfully lethargic and dilatory by comparison. It gave me an insight into why we could always be
"bored" as young children whereas today, the emotion is difficult to understand. My question regarding the above is how to conceptualize this phenomenon of acceleration and deceleration viz. time as the integration of prior states in consciousness.

I can see you have an entire trove of essays at your page, which I have bookmarked, and I eagerly await diving into them.

Cardenio,

Thank you for the consideration and response! Yes you have grasped it very well. To be clear, all of it remains pretty blurry for me, which is to be expected when it remains simply an intellectual framework. Nevertheless, we can gradually gain clarity, even with our Reason (as opposed to Imaginative cognition), by relating it to concrete experiences, as you do above. In general, it is all about maintaing a rhythmic balance for optimal flow of meaningful spiritual activity. We are not seeking to enter into the highest possible strata of holistic Time-consciousness until we have gradually built up concrete understanding of the strata below. But neither are we remaining stagnant at the lower intellectual strata, i.e. the dreadfully lethargic pace of experience we have with a fever or when engaged in purely mechanical thinking. I am not too good with the technical metaphors, carrier waves and such, so we can wait for Cleric on all of that.

At a low resolution, I would say we are actually living within the 'longer temporal waveform', which is essentially more evolved spiritual beings and their activity, when our Thinking activity ascends to higher layers of meaning. Let's say there is the idea, "modern materialistic philosophy of the last 200 years". There is a first-person state of consciousness in the Cosmos where this is perceived as an encompassed idea, like we encompass mineralized thought-forms of "matter", "energy", "hard problem of consciousness", and the like. When our Thinking moves vertically and ascends into these higher strata of meaning, i.e. into the spheres of higher ideational activity of spiritual beings, we begin to perceive the deeper ideas which encompass the reasons why materialistic philosophy as a whole arose, why it was necessary, how it is incomplete, how it morphed into other post-modern philosophies, etc.

Of course, this does not mean we have actually attained to the first-person perspective of the being(s) responsible for the overall idea (not even close), but we have glimpsed with our Thinking, however briefly, into our own 'future' evolution. So, returning back to Time-consciousness, I think it's safe to say there is no spiritual being gradually cobbling together this overarching idea of "modern materialistic philosophy of the last 200 years" over what feels like 200 years to it. Perhaps it only feels to it what feels like "10 minutes" to us in normal waking cognition. I have not actually read this directly from Cleric or Steiner or anyone else, as far as I can remember, so take this all tentatively, but I am pretty confident it is at least moving in the right direction and is implicit in their various writings, as well as my own first-person experience of moving along the Time-consciousness spectrum.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:58 am
Cardenio wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:12 am Thank you for the response, Ashvin, and for sharing your insights so eloquently and concisely in the excerpt from your essay. The formal archetype of music is immensely illuminating in respect to trying to grasp the essence of time. One statement that you made invited yet another question that I have often wondered about. You wrote

Cardenio,

Thank you for the consideration and response! Yes you have grasped it very well. To be clear, all of it remains pretty blurry for me, which is to be expected when it remains simply an intellectual framework. Nevertheless, we can gradually gain clarity, even with our Reason (as opposed to Imaginative cognition), by relating it to concrete experiences, as you do above. In general, it is all about maintaing a rhythmic balance for optimal flow of meaningful spiritual activity. We are not seeking to enter into the highest possible strata of holistic Time-consciousness until we have gradually built up concrete understanding of the strata below. But neither are we remaining stagnant at the lower intellectual strata, i.e. the dreadfully lethargic pace of experience we have with a fever or when engaged in purely mechanical thinking. I am not too good with the technical metaphors, carrier waves and such, so we can wait for Cleric on all of that.

At a low resolution, I would say we are actually living within the 'longer temporal waveform', which is essentially more evolved spiritual beings and their activity, when our Thinking activity ascends to higher layers of meaning. Let's say there is the idea, "modern materialistic philosophy of the last 200 years". There is a first-person state of consciousness in the Cosmos where this is perceived as an encompassed idea, like we encompass mineralized thought-forms of "matter", "energy", "hard problem of consciousness", and the like. When our Thinking moves vertically and ascends into these higher strata of meaning, i.e. into the spheres of higher ideational activity of spiritual beings, we begin to perceive the deeper ideas which encompass the reasons why materialistic philosophy as a whole arose, why it was necessary, how it is incomplete, how it morphed into other post-modern philosophies, etc.

Of course, this does not mean we have actually attained to the first-person perspective of the being(s) responsible for the overall idea (not even close), but we have glimpsed with our Thinking, however briefly, into our own 'future' evolution. So, returning back to Time-consciousness, I think it's safe to say there is no spiritual being gradually cobbling together this overarching idea of "modern materialistic philosophy of the last 200 years" over what feels like 200 years to it. Perhaps it only feels to it what feels like "10 minutes" to us in normal waking cognition. I have not actually read this directly from Cleric or Steiner or anyone else, as far as I can remember, so take this all tentatively, but I am pretty confident it is at least moving in the right direction and is implicit in their various writings, as well as my own first-person experience of moving along the Time-consciousness spectrum.

Another consideration on this topic - many spiritualists will speak about how we must live in the "now", how there is only the "now", etc. All of that can be quite accurate but remain so vague and abstract that it is practically meaningless. The path of spiritual thinking along the Time-consciousness spectrum can allow us to perceive the deeper structured reasons why this is true. How the fractally nested Time "rhythms within rhythms" of spiritual beings and their ideational activity makes sense of the eternal unfolding of Cosmic events which are ever-present in the "now".
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Cardenio wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:16 pm
The prospect of stopping periodically to reflect on the temporal context in which one's present activity is embedded makes perfect sense, intellectually at least. I wonder, Cleric, if you would be willing to expand a little bit and perhaps offer further guidance on how one can work with this. You described, in your case, a sort of epiphany that seems to indicate an experience together with an understanding. I can see the truth of these superimposed rhythms that you are pointing to but I have the sense that there is more to comprehend with this.

This way of relating to time seems almost "synchronic" or "panoramic." You have, I believe, alluded to a "diachronic" or phenomenological approach to time which you characterized as something like "the ability to integrate prior states in consciousness." I can also see the truth of this. I wonder if you have any recommendations for how to work with this aspect of time.

Hi Cardenio!
Sorry for the delayed response!

It's a great joy for me to see how deeply you have gone in following the living experience of our spiritual activity.

As a bit of warning, we must gradually get in the habit of discerning what we're trying to do with our intellect. I'm saying this from my own experience too. For quite some time my intellect used to want to build better and better mental picture of the Time being. This can quickly lead to mental exhaustion. Actually it can become even worse. People here are probably familiar with the documentary "Dangerous Knowledge". It's about the mental breakdowns of several prominent mathematicians and scientist who struggled with infinities. And if we try to grasp spiritual reality entirely with out intellect we face nothing but infinities! This is also connected with Nietzsche's breakdown.

When we think about the Time rhythms entirely with intellectual concepts, it's like we're trying to build a picture of Lego blocks. It's tempting to imagine that the more of these pieces that we stack, the more comprehensive and complete the picture will become. But as we do that, we quickly become crushed by the weight of our own concepts. It is well known that our working memory can hold only about seven discrete things at a time. Higher cognition is not attained by increasing the amount of things we can juggle with our intellect. The more Lego pieces we try to carry, the more overwhelming it becomes, since they must be mechanically kept together by our own effort.

I can use an analogy for this. The most widespread type of RAM (random access memory) used today in computers, phones, etc., is of the type DRAM (Dynamic RAM). What is characteristic to it is that the bit-cells (usually a transistor-capacitor pair) quickly leak their charge. For this reason a continuous procedure is needed called 'memory refresh'. Many times a second the cells are continuously recharged. If this process stops the cells will quickly lose their states. It's somewhat similar with out intellect when we try to build complicated mental panoramas. Our thinking must continuously walk over all the elements of our intellectual imagination and 'refresh' them. The moment we stop, the images quickly fade away. This is an overwhelming task. Not only that in the end run it is not proper higher cognition (the mechanically stitched sum total of the intellectual cells is less than the higher order curvature within which the cells flow), but if we stubbornly insist on creating reality out of intellectual cells we face a very real danger for our mental health.

The key to this is simple. The higher Time order is not something that we can build out of intellectual cells. Instead we must first find it in the (T) experience (as in the Central Topic). We simply must embark on thinking contemplation and follow the flow of our ordinary thinking. It's not what we think but simply being conscious of the time-extended stream of thinking and how we're actively shaping it. Probably Ashvin's example with Beat Saber from his VR essay can be used as an illustration.

Another illustration can be the visualization that I recently posted here. Here we can see from another angle the difference in Time experience. Our DRAM analogy can be likened to the first phase of the visualization where our thinking moves erratically from cell to cell. The naive conception would be that this refreshing must become so fast that it can light up our whole field of consciousness, not unlike a cathode-ray tube (CRT). This is also the vision of the super intellect which is principally the same as the ordinary but becomes faster and faster. We know how the electron ray in CRT TV/monitors, energizes only a tiny patch of phosphorescent elements. As the ray moves further the previous patch already starts to fade out. It's only because of the inertia of our retina response that the after image of the illuminated pixels stays long enough until the ray visits them again. Without this inertial effect of our eye, CRT displays would look like this.

So we should not imagine that we can attain to the higher order time cognition by making our intellect incredibly fast, such that we can keep refreshing all the cells of our field of consciousness. Instead, as presented in the visualization, it is really that we do the opposite - we center our thought on a single image and gradually the Imaginative world grows from there. There's no longer movement of our thinking-cathode ray in the intellectual sense. Instead it is like the cathode ray expands from a ray into a cone and energizes the whole panorama all at once. Now once again there's movement and dynamics but they are not that of the intellectual cathode ray - the latter is completely expanded and monolithic. Yet the monolithic flow itself has a deeper texture which is in constant metamorphosis. Initially we must learn to simply behold the panorama, even though it seems quite incomprehensible. But gradually we find new degrees of freedom of our spiritual activity, which are normally hidden behind the movement of our ordinary thinking cathode ray. I can approximately describe this as a kind of spiritual steering. Higher cognition is in a sense technically simpler than the intellectual, even though meaningfully richer. We don't need to hold elements in our working memory and manipulate them. Instead, our working memory has expanded as an Imaginative panorama which is simply there, there's no need to support it mechanically through refreshing. We only need to support our centered, expanded and monolithic thought-ray (that is, avoid reverting to the cathode ray erratic movement of the intellect) and smoothly steer within the higher order landscape.

This landscape is not simply visual - it is weaved of the (T) experiences which give us immediate consciousness of the lawfulness through which things are flowing. It is here, for example, that we can clearly observe how the cathode ray of the intellect is flowing within the meaningful curvature of desire, interests, beliefs, prejudices. Not simply as Freudian psychoanalytical model (which is still jumping of the thinking ray) but as actual contemplation of the soul.

The question about the feeling of the speed of passage of time is tricky. It's one that can easily become lost in its own recursions. So far I can't find a way to address it properly. It's difficult because when we think about it intellectually we always anchor ourselves within a relative coordinate system so to speak. Just as in special relativity, if we anchor ourselves in a different coordinate system we can speak quite differently. This in part explains why there's no agreement on the passage of time. Some say that when they were engaged with something interesting they hardly noticed how the whole day has gone by. Others report that a single day has been so rich that it felt like a week worth of experiences. So it's really a complicated interplay between thinking, feeling, willing. To simplify it, we can say that we'll have one experience if we anchor ourselves in feeling and experience how thinking goes by, or if we anchor ourselves in thinking and experience how feeling goes by. This is quite vaguely put but it hints about the complexity of the topic and the importance of not simply trying to have absolute opinion on the flow of time but livingly experience the contextual way our spiritual activity works.
AshvinP wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:58 am So, returning back to Time-consciousness, I think it's safe to say there is no spiritual being gradually cobbling together this overarching idea of "modern materialistic philosophy of the last 200 years" over what feels like 200 years to it. Perhaps it only feels to it what feels like "10 minutes" to us in normal waking cognition. I have not actually read this directly from Cleric or Steiner or anyone else, as far as I can remember, so take this all tentatively, but I am pretty confident it is at least moving in the right direction and is implicit in their various writings, as well as my own first-person experience of moving along the Time-consciousness spectrum.
This is actually a perfect example for how our intuitive thinking is fully capable to touch its way through the invisible landscape and how it is really only a more aliased experience of the same invisible landscape, that can be grasped in a more holistic manner through higher cognition.
Steiner, Cosmic Memory, ch.xiii: The Earth and Its Future wrote: A fact which will play a certain role in the following essays will be briefly indicated here. This concerns the speed with which the development on the different planets takes place. For this is not the same on all the planets. Life proceeds with the greatest speed on Saturn, the rapidity then decreases on the Sun, becomes still less on the Moon and reaches its slowest phase on the earth. On the latter it becomes slower and slower, to the point at which self-consciousness develops. Then the speed increases again. Therefore, today man has already passed the time of the greatest slowness of his development. Life has begun to accelerate again. On Jupiter the speed of the Moon, on Venus that of the Sun will again be attained. The last planet which can still be counted among the series of earthly transformations, and hence follows Venus, is called “Vulcan” by mystery science.
Of course even the above should be taken in the relative sense. We can get some intuition of this by surfing through the Mandelbrot set. Anyone can give it a try here, for example. Click-hold and drag to pan, use the mouse wheel to zoom. Try zooming at some part and then try panning. Imagine how long it will take if you are to reach from one end of the Mandelbrot set to the other at that zoom level! It's something similar in our middle Earthly stage of evolution. We're very much zoomed in the Time fractal, and it takes a lot of experienced time to traverse the landscape in this way. The future states of evolution can be said to present a more zoomed out picture of the Cosmic potential and as such time doesn't feel to be constrained into the slow flow. But I must warn that this is only an analogy. It's quite impossible to reach the proper understanding of vertical Time by simply arranging Lego blocks of the intellect. This is what I've elsewhere called the inability to escape the Newtonian clock. The Newtonian clock is the feeling we have from the erratic movement of our thinking cathode ray. These movements are like the ticks of that Time experience. When the ray is centered, the ticking also stops. The mystics erroneously call this 'going outside of time' - this only makes it utterly impossible to reason about higher consciousness. Instead, when the ticking of the ray ceases, we become conscious of a higher order time flow, which meaningfully (T) metamorphoses the whole landscape.

When we can't escape the Newtonian ticks of the intellect - the jerky movements of the cathode ray - this gives us the subconscious feeling for what time is. Then if we simply translate this naively to a higher state (like the Vulcan state) we imagine that we feel quite similar to now but only time flows more quickly because we grasp more of the holistic logic of the Whole. This wouldn't be quite correct. It's the main reason for objections such as those that Eugene and Steve have raised. They are worried that when we approach eternity, we'll feel utterly bored because it will be the end of the journey. One can only object in this way when the Newtonian clock of the intellect acts completely below the threshold of consciousness. Then one imagines that this implicit feeling of time is absolute. Then one imagines that even if they rise above all eternal potential, it will look like a pile of Lego block which consciousness in the background must observe as the absolute Newtonian clock ticks by. This of course threatens to be frightfully boring and only urges one to descend in the blocks again.

Alas, there's no easy way to explain these things. It belong to the individual path of each one of us to attain to these deep Intuitions. I attempted to say something about this with the fishes example, but I admit that it's simply not possible to approach these deepest mysteries easily.
Cardenio

Post by Cardenio »

Thank you Ashvin, and Cleric, for the responses to my queries.
To simplify it, we can say that we'll have one experience if we anchor ourselves in feeling and experience how thinking goes by, or if we anchor ourselves in thinking and experience how feeling goes by. This is quite vaguely put but it hints about the complexity of the topic and the importance of not simply trying to have absolute opinion on the flow of time but livingly experience the contextual way our spiritual activity works.

I am left to wonder if the feeling/desire and to some degree, the thinking, serves almost like a handbrake and an accelerator, alternately. In the "suction" or "friction" that this spiritual force establishes against the elemental (perhaps physiological?) rhythms that are already present, the phenomenological flow of time is either quickened or retarded. Does this seem right? It seems to capture my experience that the phenomenological flow of time is conditioned, and perhaps determined, by the internal "vectors" that I am sustaining, which begin with basic sympathies and antipathies and extend all the way to higher order resolutions and ideals.
When we think about the Time rhythms entirely with intellectual concepts, it's like we're trying to build a picture of Lego blocks. It's tempting to imagine that the more of these pieces that we stack, the more comprehensive and complete the picture will become. But as we do that, we quickly become crushed by the weight of our own concepts. It is well known that our working memory can hold only about seven discrete things at a time. Higher cognition is not attained by increasing the amount of things we can juggle with our intellect. The more Lego pieces we try to carry, the more overwhelming it becomes, since they must be mechanically kept together by our own effort.
I am reminded of a quote that I recorded from a book I was reading last year:
It is hard because the mind tries to hold the subject in the Light instead of holding the Light on the subject. Other reasons are that the mental activities do not cooperate, that they are severally directed to different subjects and so interfere with each other instead of agreeing and working in harmony; that there is not enough understanding concerning what is being done or how to do it properly; and that only some activities are developed.
When I read this I thought, "aha! He's right." But I must admit, I haven't been able to make much of it in meditation to this point. Perhaps Your explanations will help me to attune my thinking in the right way.
Alas, there's no easy way to explain these things. It belong to the individual path of each one of us to attain to these deep Intuitions. I attempted to say something about this with the fishes example, but I admit that it's simply not possible to approach these deepest mysteries easily.

The development does present a sort of paradox since, on the one hand, everyone must undertake the project himself and no one can do it in his place. But on the other hand, it is apparent that the community and exchange of ideas around such development serve as an immense source of guidance and inspiration and moreover, anything that anyone accomplishes is also a victory won on behalf of mankind. Perhaps, by degrees, it may become possible to convey what has seemed beyond our ability to grasp it. After all, if I already understood this, all one would have had to do it wink and I could have easily correlated the expression to an intelligible experience. So thank you for what you have offered, both here and hitherto and please never for a moment believe it is not profoundly valued and appreciated.

lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

I don't know if this applies to this thread, but I was watching a video of a woman who claims to have studied Anthroposophy and Steiner, speaking of an exercise she does where she schedules a meeting with herself in the future, beginning with something simple such as, I will touch my ear lobe tomorow at 4PM. [[ In the long lapse of time, in your future, you may have scheduled a meeting with yourself today so pay attention. ]]
The interviewer was Rick Archer in his Buddha At The Gas Pump series, and he does a decent job of asking questions and being non-judgemental. I was was smitten by the 'spiritual endeavor' presented. BATGP link
Cardenio

Post by Cardenio »

lorenzop wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:22 pm I don't know if this applies to this thread, but I was watching a video of a woman who claims to have studied Anthroposophy and Steiner, speaking of an exercise she does where she schedules a meeting with herself in the future, beginning with something simple such as, I will touch my ear lobe tomorow at 4PM. [[ In the long lapse of time, in your future, you may have scheduled a meeting with yourself today so pay attention. ]]
The interviewer was Rick Archer in his Buddha At The Gas Pump series, and he does a decent job of asking questions and being non-judgemental. I was was smitten by the 'spiritual endeavor' presented. BATGP link
Thank you, Lorenzo. Prima facie, it seems like an eccentric notion to have "scheduled a meeting with yourself" from the future. But then again, it is merely an extension of a phenomenon that is already present in ordinary experience. After all, at the moment that we perform any action that is oriented towards a given end, the latter does not yet exist at the time at which the initiative must be called forth in order to perform it. Hence we are always demonstrating a future time preference. In other words, it is clear that our future self—either by direct or by representational agency—is continually present to us in all of our decisions. The notion of "delayed gratification," which is essential to bring any kind of order into the soul life/astral body, is already operating on the same premise as something like the above exercise. To me, the distinction seems one of degree or magnitude, but not of kind. Does this seem right?

lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

I should put the schedule from the future in pink, it was a weak attempt at jocularity.
On the other hand, it felt risky to put it in pink as Anthroposophy/spiritual activity seems to no limits.