Heat death of the Universe

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Hedge90

Heat death of the Universe

Post by Hedge90 »

Here's a little thought that's been giving me some existential angst recently.
AI assumes that whatever we can perceive in the Universe as external to us is a representation of the consciousness states of MAL. One example BK brought up in one book is that a star can very well be imagined as a radiating node of nurturing love that helps life into being.
So what do we make of the fact that our most widely accepted scientific models predict that the Universe will expand until everything is so far apart that no interactions ever takes place again, thereby reaching a state of total entropy?
Ben Iscatus

Re: Heat death of the Universe

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Are you worried that MAL wants to end it all by stretching its synapses till they break?

Perhaps the current model of heat death just reflects our own thinking - our cultural bias towards a pointless and meaningless universe. Other scenarios for the end of the universe haven't been disproven.

But who can know the deeper mind of MAL?
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

Discussed here a bit

viewtopic.php?t=686
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Hedge90

Post by Hedge90 »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:06 pm Are you worried that MAL wants to end it all by stretching its synapses till they break?

Perhaps the current model of heat death just reflects our own thinking - our cultural bias towards a pointless and meaningless universe. Other scenarios for the end of the universe haven't been disproven.

But who can know the deeper mind of MAL?
Hm, not exactly. In fact that would not be so bad. Since I've learned that I'll very much likely exist infinitely as a lonely supermind stretched out over infinity true death doesn't sound that bad.
What I was thinking of was that our organised, highly-complex existence, with biological life and brains and stuff are MAL's way to get a grasp on what the actual fuck it is, localising itself as us so it can latch its identity to something. But what happens when it all falls apart?
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

But what happens when it all falls apart?
I guess you're assuming that the mind of MAL is tied to the representation of it that we can perceive. It's likely much more.

I think one of BK's ideas is that MAL absorbs all our insights and thereby goes on to imagine it better.
Hedge90

Post by Hedge90 »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:10 pm
But what happens when it all falls apart?
I think one of BK's ideas is that MAL absorbs all our insights and thereby goes on to imagine it better.
This is assuming that MAL is free to imagine what it wants to imagine, which I always found to be incoherent with the idea of there being archetypes, i.e. instincts in MAL. I find it equally as possible that MAL is bound to certain patterns, just like we are bound to age and die, regardless of our conscious decisions about the matter.
Hedge90

Post by Hedge90 »

Martin_ wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:12 pm Discussed here a bit

viewtopic.php?t=686
The OP post here makes me think of a mid 19th-century German idealist, Philip Mainlander, who thought that God created the world as a means of dividing its incomprehensible hyperrealistic suffering into small chunks, which is life. Therefore the purpose of life is to bear our share of suffering, ease that of others, and then go gently into that good night to finally be at peace.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

I have pointed out before The Last Question and its interesting answer to Heat Death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question

"Let there be light!"
Hedge90

Post by Hedge90 »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:17 pm I have pointed out before The Last Question and its interesting answer to Heat Death.

"Let there be light!"
It's a really good short story but I don't think it really fits idealism
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Hedge90 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:59 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:17 pm I have pointed out before The Last Question and its interesting answer to Heat Death.

"Let there be light!"
It's a really good short story but I don't think it really fits idealism
Heat Death doesn't fit idealism either. :)

Maybe that's your point but it might be that the idealism is what's wrong.