I feel like Bernardo is getting carried away in a scary direction

Here participants should focus discussion on Bernardo's model and related ideas, by way of exploration, explication, elaboration, and constructive critique. Moderators may intervene to reel in commentary that has drifted too far into areas where other interest groups may try to steer it
Shaibei

Re: I feel like Bernardo is getting carried away in a scary direction

Post by Shaibei »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:42 pm

Shaibei,

Can there also be a faith that God has the capacity to reveal higher truth to us, beyond feelings of connection with him or sporadic visions of higher worlds?

Can be. I believe in prophecy, it means I believe in a priori cognition of values ​​and meaning behind reality
AshvinP wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:42 pm It seems to me, when I observe the vast and beautiful order of Cosmos and Nature, with its hierarchical depth structure, contemplating this instills a faith that this order also lives within me and can be revealed through me. To reject this capacity with only abstract philosophical or theological propositions, I think, is to impose a limitation on God which is not in keeping with His nature, as revealed in the books of scripture and nature, the meaning of which is discerned by my own Reason.

Your intuition tells you that there is a match between the internal and external order but you have no absolute proof of that, because your thinking is limited. Then you can recognize this limitation of your thinking and use analogies and inductions, means of "abstract" thinking, to 'revive' your thinking.

I can imagine cases where I understand the reason but do not feel the meaning. Meaning and reason in my eyes are not necessarily correlative.
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:03 pm
Shaibei wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:12 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:00 am

The key for me, given my activist nature, is that whether meaning is discovered or created, to realize it one must participate.
Unfortunately, I do not have time to participate, especially when the discussions are so long. I pop in here from time to time to read.

As you know my position does not quite meet the definition of idealism. That is, I tend to identify with the notion about the existence of ideas or the central role of the will. But in my opinion without God there is no scale for truth. The idealist is lost within his own consciousness. To complete what reason cannot prove one needs faith. Faith is always there. Philosophically it's there. To believe that others have an inner life, the idealist uses an analogy, and that is not absolute proof. Some call it intuition. When it comes to metaphysics, faith and intuition are present. Even if you refuse to recognize them.
Shaibei,

Thanks for the elaboration. I very much agree about the necessity of faith and intuition, which is definitely how reason has worked for me personally. I suspect that, in my way, I experience the lacking of faith and intuition in idealism as the absence of a compelling story. I guess I stress participation because it's what led me both to God and to compelling story.
I totally identify with your active participation, and that's also the thing with stories. They don't hand it to you on a silver platter, you need to be an active reader. If it were presented to you in a way you would immediately understand, it would not create an internal revolution in you
Where goes
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:48 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:03 pm
Shaibei wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:12 pm

Unfortunately, I do not have time to participate, especially when the discussions are so long. I pop in here from time to time to read.

As you know my position does not quite meet the definition of idealism. That is, I tend to identify with the notion about the existence of ideas or the central role of the will. But in my opinion without God there is no scale for truth. The idealist is lost within his own consciousness. To complete what reason cannot prove one needs faith. Faith is always there. Philosophically it's there. To believe that others have an inner life, the idealist uses an analogy, and that is not absolute proof. Some call it intuition. When it comes to metaphysics, faith and intuition are present. Even if you refuse to recognize them.
Shaibei,

Thanks for the elaboration. I very much agree about the necessity of faith and intuition, which is definitely how reason has worked for me personally. I suspect that, in my way, I experience the lacking of faith and intuition in idealism as the absence of a compelling story. I guess I stress participation because it's what led me both to God and to compelling story.
I totally identify with your active participation, and that's also the thing with stories. They don't hand it to you on a silver platter, you need to be an active reader. If it were presented to you in a way you would immediately understand, it would not create an internal revolution in you
Yes! That's how it has worked for me and, through continued participation and facing the paradoxes, my personal understanding (standing under) keeps expanding. I suspect that the reason that I don't see Bernardo as a Nihilist is that I perceive the classic Taoist man-or-butterfly dreaming story as such a paradox compelling internal revolution. Like the rest of us, BK is a progress in process.
Last edited by Lou Gold on Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Shaibei wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Shaibei,

Can there also be a faith that God has the capacity to reveal higher truth to us, beyond feelings of connection with him or sporadic visions of higher worlds?

Can be. I believe in prophecy, it means I believe in a priori cognition of values ​​and meaning behind reality
AshvinP wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:42 pm It seems to me, when I observe the vast and beautiful order of Cosmos and Nature, with its hierarchical depth structure, contemplating this instills a faith that this order also lives within me and can be revealed through me. To reject this capacity with only abstract philosophical or theological propositions, I think, is to impose a limitation on God which is not in keeping with His nature, as revealed in the books of scripture and nature, the meaning of which is discerned by my own Reason.

Your intuition tells you that there is a match between the internal and external order but you have no absolute proof of that, because your thinking is limited. Then you can recognize this limitation of your thinking and use analogies and inductions, means of "abstract" thinking, to 'revive' your thinking.

I can imagine cases where I understand the reason but do not feel the meaning. Meaning and reason in my eyes are not necessarily correlative.
I have the same "proof" of it as I do for anything I know - my exeprience and reason. The fact is, everything in our experience is 'counterfactual' and 'untestable' in the modern sense. The claim that I exist and experience the world is as well. Absolute proof is impossible - one can always speculate my existence is an illusion. Does this make my claim a mere belief rather than genuine knowledge? There is no view that can stand apart from the Cosmos, looking at it unfolding from frame to frame, and say "the external order matches up with my internal order". When we ask for proof in that sense, we are asking for something which has no relation to first-person reality, only to our own abstract conceptualization of it. That holds for any propositional claim to "truth".

What we actually do is seek out new ideas which harmonize the facts of observation more than our previous ideas. This is how we pursue everything from our daily activities to systematic philosophy and science and say we have gained genuine "knowledge" in the process. At any given time, new facts of observation could upend previous ideas and force them to adapt. So my idea that the order within my Willing-Feeling-Thinking is intimately connected with the Cosmic order I perceive is one reasoned from first-person experience. It is reasoned from the first-person perception of meaning which permeates all the outer and inner forms of that experience. New facts of experience will force my idea to adapt and evolve, IF I continue reasoning through them, but any reasoned ideas will not be completely dismantled if the Reality is, in fact, unified.

Otherwise, if I don't continue reasoning, my ideas will hit the "impenetrable" Kantian limit, which only exists and is impenetrable because my abstract intellect declared it to be. When you say "reason and meaning are not necessarily correlative", consider what is implied. It is implied that your conception of "reason" as abstract intellectual thinking is the full essence of Reason (and Thinking) as such. It is failing to account for the limitations of our own thinking, as you say. We assume our small "t" thinking has exhaustively conceptualized our higher Thinking and use that as the basis for denying the otherwise intuitive connection between Reason which discerns meaning. We try to substitute "willing" or "feeling" in the West, or "pure awareness" in the East, as the faculty which discerns meaning. These things happen really often. It is a mental habit we are so accustomed to, that it is very hard to notice. It becomes an implicit claim to God-like knowledge about the limits of God-given thinking.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei,

I'm contemplating your words:

The idealist is lost within his own consciousness. To complete what reason cannot prove one needs faith. Faith is always there.

Can it be that the "lostness" is what drives an idealist toward a final "leap of faith" and the internal revolution that is the difference making the difference?
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:16 pm

Shaibei,

I have the same "proof" of it as I do for anything I know - my exeprience and reason. The fact is, everything in our experience is 'counterfactual' and 'untestable' in the modern sense. The claim that I exist and experience the world is as well. Absolute proof is impossible - one can always speculate my existence is an illusion. Does this make my claim a mere belief rather than genuine knowledge? There is no view that can stand apart from the Cosmos, looking at it unfolding from frame to frame, and say "the external order matches up with my internal order". When we ask for proof in that sense, we are asking for something which has no relation to first-person reality, only to our own abstract conceptualization of it. That holds for any propositional claim to "truth".

What we actually do is seek out new ideas which harmonize the facts of observation more than our previous ideas. This is how we pursue everything from our daily activities to systematic philosophy and science and say we have gained genuine "knowledge" in the process. At any given time, new facts of observation could upend previous ideas and force them to adapt. So my idea that the order within my Willing-Feeling-Thinking is intimately connected with the Cosmic order I perceive is one reasoned from first-person experience. It is reasoned from the first-person perception of meaning which permeates all the outer and inner forms of that experience. New facts of experience will force my idea to adapt and evolve, IF I continue reasoning through them, but any reasoned ideas will not be completely dismantled if the Reality is, in fact, unified.

Otherwise, if I don't continue reasoning, my ideas will hit the "impenetrable" Kantian limit, which only exists and is impenetrable because my abstract intellect declared it to be. When you say "reason and meaning are not necessarily correlative", consider what is implied. It is implied that your conception of "reason" as abstract intellectual thinking is the full essence of Reason (and Thinking) as such. It is failing to account for the limitations of our own thinking, as you say. We assume our small "t" thinking has exhaustively conceptualized our higher Thinking and use that as the basis for denying the otherwise intuitive connection between Reason which discerns meaning. We try to substitute "willing" or "feeling" in the West, or "pure awareness" in the East, as the faculty which discerns meaning. These things happen really often. It is a mental habit we are so accustomed to, that it is very hard to notice. It becomes an implicit claim to God-like knowledge about the limits of God-given thinking.
When discussing the limitations or non-limitations of thinking there is more than one aspect to consider.
For example, our thinking is limited by the fact that we forget things. If there is anyone who claims to remember everything, he has the burden of proof.
In the context of idealism, a significant difference between our thinking and that of M@L stands out, in that our thinking does not create objects.

In your discussion, you touch on the point of contention between Steiner and Kant, but ignore other aspects, like the ones I mentioned.
If my thinking were to create objects I would a priori know the laws of nature and not have to synthesize between my thinking and what my senses perceive. This synthesis begets scientific theories and other scientific theories that refute the first. How do we know we have reached the last point from which we can declare "there is nowhere else to progress"? we don't.
The problem is less in science, because even if we offer a model that works but does not give the full description of reality, wecan get along with it. The problem starts when someone claims to "see" the meaning behind the events of reality and argues that his statement has inter-subjective importance.

I know, for example, one who claimed to be a seer and declared that Theodor Herzl's vision of the State of Israel is delusional. And why is that? Because the establishment of such a state did not fit with his anthroposophical narrative. Well, it happens that this State saved the lives of many during WW2 and this "seer" was stuck in his own subjective imagination. Therefore one should always be careful.
Where goes
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:07 pm Shaibei,

I'm contemplating your words:

The idealist is lost within his own consciousness. To complete what reason cannot prove one needs faith. Faith is always there.

Can it be that the "lostness" is what drives an idealist toward a final "leap of faith" and the internal revolution that is the difference making the difference?
Maybe for some idealists. I can only identify with Bernardo when he describes the anxieties that the ontology he proposes carries. As I mentioned I recognize Nietzsche in the interviews that Bernardo conducts. It seems to me that Nietzsche's next quote sheds some light on the subject. It is to be regretted that Nietzsche ignored his own warnings.

“How can we “find ourselves” again? How can man “know himself”? He is a thing obscure and veiled. If the hare has seven skins, man can cast from him seventy times seven skins, and not be able to say: “Here you truly are; there is skin no more.”

Also this digging into oneself, this straight, violent descent into the pit of one’s being, is a troublesome and dangerous business to start. You may easily take such hurt, that no doctor can heal you. And what is the point: since everything bears witness to our essence — our friendships and enmities, our looks and greetings, our memories and forgetfulnesses, our books and our writing!”
Where goes
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

The various ontologies and isms - they are only models generated by the mind, and can not generate temporary anxiety or joy unless one mistakes them for reality.
Sit and watch the moon, trees and birds of the field - they do not do what is right, they do not do what is wrong. They are not concerned with isms.
Nature is not nihilistic, nor non nihilistic.
We have all experienced 'flow', where we are doing something we love, or with someone(s) we love, and time passes gently and authentically. Reality is not an ism.
If you wish you can choose to culture a wide range of isms and Ideals in your body-mind (Idealism/Realism/Sin/Redemption/the Fall/Heaven&Hell etc.) or, learn from the birds of the field and flourish in an honest manner.
This is what is meant by Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, or not my will but Thy Will.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Shaibei wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:38 pm

When discussing the limitations or non-limitations of thinking there is more than one aspect to consider.
For example, our thinking is limited by the fact that we forget things. If there is anyone who claims to remember everything, he has the burden of proof.
In the context of idealism, a significant difference between our thinking and that of M@L stands out, in that our thinking does not create objects.

In your discussion, you touch on the point of contention between Steiner and Kant, but ignore other aspects, like the ones I mentioned.
If my thinking were to create objects I would a priori know the laws of nature and not have to synthesize between my thinking and what my senses perceive. This synthesis begets scientific theories and other scientific theories that refute the first. How do we know we have reached the last point from which we can declare "there is nowhere else to progress"? we don't.
The problem is less in science, because even if we offer a model that works but does not give the full description of reality, wecan get along with it. The problem starts when someone claims to "see" the meaning behind the events of reality and argues that his statement has inter-subjective importance.

I know, for example, one who claimed to be a seer and declared that Theodor Herzl's vision of the State of Israel is delusional. And why is that? Because the establishment of such a state did not fit with his anthroposophical narrative. Well, it happens that this State saved the lives of many during WW2 and this "seer" was stuck in his own subjective imagination. Therefore one should always be careful.

What is being ignored here is the depth structure. Thinking is not all or nothing, omnipotence or abstract representations. Rather it is an entire gradient of meaningful discernment. Thinking allows for the formation of memories. Every previous state of being becomes potentially accessible memory for our thinking faculty to access. So your objection above is, "thinking gives us memory but not totally conscious memory right away, so it's fundamentally limited". This ignores the fact that every skill is acquired gradually over time via discipline and effort. It isn't all or nothing. It reminds me of this quote from Ayn Rand channeling Nietsche.

"Even apart from the fact that Kant’s theory of the “categories” as the source of man’s concepts was a preposterous invention, his argument amounted to a negation, not only of man’s consciousness, but of any consciousness, of consciousness as such. His argument, in essence, ran as follows: man is limited to a consciousness of a specific nature, which perceives by specific means and no others, therefore, his consciousness is not valid; man is blind, because he has eyes—deaf, because he has ears—deluded, because he has a mind—and the things he perceives do not exist, because he perceives them."

The same goes for creation of objects and knowing the laws of nature (or creating them). We do know that there is an intimate connection between our thinking and the structure of the phenomenal world. Science has practically confirmed what Barfield called "figuration" and Coleridge called "primary imagination" which mediates between meaning and perception. We are not fully conscious of that object-forming capacity right now. That is no reason to forsake the possibility of ever becoming conscious of it.

Again, you are implicitly adopting the "view from nowhere" when saying we synthesize what we think with what we perceive. Thinking is a sense-organ which perceives meaning. We are not matching up thoughts to sense data which is already complete, but bringing that sense data to completion by perceiving the meaningful element. Same for asking how we know if we have reached the final knowledge. If we still experience time and perception, that means there is still more to know, because there is still deeper meaning to mine.

The fact that the entire subconscious has not been made conscious yet also isn't a logical objection to the nature or potential of thinking. Thinking is what gives us the very possibility of making the subconscious more conscious. And the anecdote about the "seer" has no relevance either. I know people who have claimed to use their eyes when making up stories about what they saw. Does that fact reflect on the very essence and limits of vision? This objection also presupposes Reason is not equal to the task of evaluating claims to knowledge, even though that is what it is always doing and how any field of knwoeldge advances. The conclusion you desire to reach about Reason is embedded in your assumption and you have traveled in a circle back to your own assumption.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:28 pm
Shaibei wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:38 pm

What is being ignored here is the depth structure. Thinking is not all or nothing, omnipotence or abstract representations. Rather it is an entire gradient of meaningful discernment. Thinking allows for the formation of memories. Every previous state of being becomes potentially accessible memory for our thinking faculty to access. So your objection above is, "thinking gives us memory but not totally conscious memory right away, so it's fundamentally limited". This ignores the fact that every skill is acquired gradually over time via discipline and effort. It isn't all or nothing. It reminds me of this quote from Ayn Rand channeling Nietsche.

"Even apart from the fact that Kant’s theory of the “categories” as the source of man’s concepts was a preposterous invention, his argument amounted to a negation, not only of man’s consciousness, but of any consciousness, of consciousness as such. His argument, in essence, ran as follows: man is limited to a consciousness of a specific nature, which perceives by specific means and no others, therefore, his consciousness is not valid; man is blind, because he has eyes—deaf, because he has ears—deluded, because he has a mind—and the things he perceives do not exist, because he perceives them."

The same goes for creation of objects and knowing the laws of nature (or creating them). We do know that there is an intimate connection between our thinking and the structure of the phenomenal world. Science has practically confirmed what Barfield called "figuration" and Coleridge called "primary imagination" which mediates between meaning and perception. We are not fully conscious of that object-forming capacity right now. That is no reason to forsake the possibility of ever becoming conscious of it.

Again, you are implicitly adopting the "view from nowhere" when saying we synthesize what we think with what we perceive. Thinking is a sense-organ which perceives meaning. We are not matching up thoughts to sense data which is already complete, but bringing that sense data to completion by perceiving the meaningful element. Same for asking how we know if we have reached the final knowledge. If we still experience time and perception, that means there is still more to know, because there is still deeper meaning to mine.

The fact that the entire subconscious has not been made conscious yet also isn't a logical objection to the nature or potential of thinking. Thinking is what gives us the very possibility of making the subconscious more conscious. And the anecdote about the "seer" has no relevance either. I know people who have claimed to use their eyes when making up stories about what they saw. Does that fact reflect on the very essence and limits of vision? This objection also presupposes Reason is not equal to the task of evaluating various claims to knowledge, spiritual, scientific, or otherwise, even though that is what our reason is always doing and how any field of knowledge advances. The conclusion you desire to reach about Reason is embedded in your assumption and you have traveled in a circle back to your own assumption.

At the root of this dynamic appears to be our persistent and near universal desire to be at the very apex of evolution, thinking, and knowledge. We posit one abstract Being to be above us, to maintain a religious sentiment, but besides that we are the creme de la creme. Either we already know everything or we have reached the very limits of knowing for all ideational beings in the known Cosmos. A fascinating case study here is the evolutionary idealist philosopher, Hegel. He intellectually perceived the entire Cosmos as the unfolding of Logic through the Spirit. All human history, religion, philosophy, art, science, and culture in general, was the manifestation of higher order Logic rhythmically involving and evolving, i.e. dialectical process, by which the Spirit awakened within the human individual. His vision, then, was entirely aligned with Steiner's phenomenological idealism. Hegel elegantly expressed this process in the following image.

“The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant’s existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. The ceaseless activity of their own inherent nature makes these stages moments of an organic unity, where they not merely do not contradict one another, but where one is as necessary as the other; and constitutes thereby the life of the whole.”

Yet, even Hegel ended up assuming Logic had exhausted itself in the modern age. That is, in his own age. He felt that all further progress towards spiritual freedom would unfold through the cultural institutions already in place when he was writing. What can be the explanation for this except the intellectual tendency to fortify its own supremacy? There is no other logical option. Hegel idolized his temporal perception of the spiritual evolution from the physical perspective, because it meant his own philosophical and spiritual knowledge would never be surpassed to any significant extent. He failed to see how the modern age in which he lived is analogous to yet another imperceptible stage in the plant's life. It is the stage when the plant surrenders its life in a particular form so that its seeds can fall within the soil and give birth to an entirely new wave of organic forms. The death of the plant becomes the basis for rebirth at a higher stage of integration. That is the stage in which our own thinking-organism finds itself. We must discover the sacrificial plant nature within us to continue evolving.