Is it just me who is going through a lot of existential angst about idealism?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: Is it just me who is going through a lot of existential angst about idealism?

Post by Cleric K »

Hedge90 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:13 pm Cleric,

do you exclude the possibility though that some people in those earlier times got to those higher states that are "above" the folding of the mind? The various initiations and mysteries that got lost to us seem quite like that. Not to mention the Buddha's words about that he will not teach what he knows other than what is useful for liberation. Most people interpret this as "everything is vain except the strife for liberation", but it could (and I think it's reasonable to assume) also mean "there's a lot of stuff you can't access yet, but it's not for you" (at that particular point in time).
To answer this properly we shouldn't imagine a simple axis of consciousness, where we can conveniently sort things into lower and higher. It is very clear that the more we go back in time, the more incredible the Cosmologies are. Just take a look at the Vedic literature, although even that is already a late echo. This is quite clear for anyone who surveys these things. It seems as if the more time goes by, the more religions and human interests as a whole become much more 'down to Earth' and lose their Cosmic grandeur.

So you see, in the ancient times, in certain sense, the human souls lived well above the threshold of the intellect that we presently discuss. Humanity had yet to descend in thinking. Now the question is, why would we do that? To find lucid self-consciousness! Before the descent consciousness was much more dream-like. True, it had cosmic element, yet the human soul was flowing together with the environment. It is very difficult for modern man to conceive of this (not that it is technically so difficult - it is difficult because modern man insists to understand the past states without any effort. In other words, modern man believes that our current intellectual consciousness is fully equipped to understand the consciousness of the past.) For man of the far past, the soul was a truly shared realm. Just like we have our visual perceptions today and say "This Earthly landscape is the result of combined activity of natural forces, living organism, plants, animals, etc.", so the man of the past (if he could express in this way) would have to say "These feelings, images, thoughts, will impulses, that flow in my soul, they are the combined activity of many spiritual beings. I can't point at something concrete and say 'I'm responsible for this'".

In the course of evolution this has become different. The thoughts of man started getting more and more 'in focus'. Imagine what would it be if your inner dialog sounds as if other people are speaking. You feel dimly that you do have some say in that dialog but you don't have clear consciousness of what it is that you're contributing." Only in the last five centuries or so, man really began to feel his thoughts as firmly his own. Only because of this the age materialism became possible. Man felt completely alone with his thoughts, there were no longer consciousness of other beings present there, so it became possible for thinking to build completely abstract explanations of itself.

This doesn't mean that our thoughts are absolutely our own. They are still formed in a very specific context. After all, there are infinitely many thoughts that could potentially be thought at any given moment. Yet we go through quite limited palette of thoughts that concern primarily the life related to our body. Why don't I suddenly think the thoughts of Einstein? So our soul and bodily nature is already one such filter, which shapes the 'wavefunction' of what is likely to think next.

Evolution consists into gaining consciousness once again of the higher strata of being but this time without losing the center from which our activity emanates. Please note this, because it's one of the greatest stumbling stones - there's great difference between feeling as active center of creative spiritual activity and feeling that some lot of soul 'real estate' belongs to us. Nothing really belongs to anybody. We're an individual being not because we build a fence around some island of soul phenomena, plant a flag there and say "mine". We're individual beings through that which we contribute at any given time to the Cosmos. Our body, our inner world belong to the Cosmos. None of our thoughts and feelings could exist if there weren't all other beings to support them. So it is our job to contribute in the best way possible to this evolving island that we call our body and soul. This is probably the hardest bit to swallow for modern man who fully identifies with private property.

So you see, things are much more non-linear. The ancients knew about things, which were even more profound that what we're talking here. However they didn't yet have consciousness of themselves as centers of creative activity. That's what the whole Earthly cycle of evolution is about - to focus (as the Sun's rays are focused by magnifying glass) the rays of the Spirit, such that we gain self-consciousness.

The peculiarity of our age is that some souls yearn for the Cosmic nature of the ancient consciousness and seek a return to it by abolishing the evolving "I"-consciousness. Yet this is really reversal of evolution, return towards dream-consciousness, where the soul loses itself in the Cosmic environment. The direction of evolution is to reach again the Cosmic nature but not by dissolving the center of the "I" but by making it concentric with the Macrocosmic Center. And here is where opinions split. Because many people today would rather die than seek relation with their own Cosmic "I".
Hedge90

Re: Is it just me who is going through a lot of existential angst about idealism?

Post by Hedge90 »

So, this evolution thing... Actually it's interesting because the traditionalist writers I've been reading lately, like René Guenon and Fritjof Schuon, actually deal with this topic, but on the inverse - yet it seems to make sense. In their opinion, humanity is not evolving but rather moving away from the divine Truth - we are in the Kali Yuga, where Man is farthest from God. My notion is that what constitutes the continuation of the fall for them is, in your worldview, the era where humanity is "left to its own devices" and ought to evolve its spiritual senses for itself.
For my Western mind this latter interpretation of yours, with the possiblity of evolution, is obviously more sympathetic, though of course that doesn't tell anything of whether it's right.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Anthony66 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:35 pm Tell me what you think of this diagram which is trying to depict the difference between Bernardo's idealism and the one that you and Cleric seem to be describing.
On the left is Bernardo's model of perception. The large light grey oval represents MAL with the grey triangles representing its ideations - shadowy, indistinct and unrepresented. The small dark grey ovals represent dissociations who receive a flow of information corresponding to the "triangle precursor" thoughts in MAL and represent or decohere the object, in this case a green triangle.

On the right is "Deep MAL". Flows of thought originate from the yellow source and flow through various conscious centers. There is no precursor triangle "out there". It is more "in here" although depicting that on a 2-D diagram is difficult. There is a sense though that the light grey conscious centers are interior to the dark grey centers. Finally the green triangle is formed in the mind and then projected out as an appearance of physicality.
Hi Anthony,
Thank you for this post! Ashvin already covered the main points. I understand very well what you try to convey in the second image and when looked at through a certain perspective it is a completely valid way to express things. Our efforts now should be how to avoid images like these to become a trap for the intellect.

I have often mentioned the example with the geo- and heliocentric perspective. click for image
It's clear that the geocentric is much more complicated. There are so many things that we must keep in mind simultaneously. It's similar with the second image. And I'm quite certain that for most readers here, that image is just as weighty as the geocentric view - our intellect is simply being crushed by the weight of all the details.

Yet everything changes when we assume the proper vantage point. For this reason I would like to once again turn the foundations. If we get that clear, we'll be able to speak safely about the depth.

It's really all contained in the very beginning of PoF. Yet our field experience here shows that people simply don't recognize how these simple and unpretentious words actually speak about something much deeper than we're prepared to suppose.

To same extent we have purely linguistic barrier. It turned out to be impossible here in the forum to show what the concept of 'idea' implies (in the Goethean sense). It is constantly taken to be equal to a mere concept in the mind. That's why Ashvin gradually shifted to use the word 'meaning'. Alas, it too proves to be problematic. Most people can't help but see in that as if someone tries to enforce premeditated meaning of life.

I'll try once more with a metaphor, which is neither new, nor it is the first time it is employed here. But I'm simply struggling to find something to which modern man can relate without becoming lost in dry words.

I'll use the metaphor of a video game (VG). As usual, we'll have to step back and try to determine what is the truly given in the riddle of existence. We'll have to let go of our default ideas of physical world, subject, object, God, consciousness, etc. and try to build on secure foundations.

The first thing is to recognize the contents of existence, which in PoF style is called the totality of perceptions - not only sensory but also feelings, thoughts, will, imagination. Practically, we call perception anything which we can think about, which can become object of our thinking. We're not saying what perception is in itself, we only recognize that whatever it is - color, sound, feeling - these are qualitative experiences that we can be conscious of. And to be conscious of them means that we can confront them with our thinking.

In our VG metaphor this would correspond to the totality of outputs - video display, speakers, vibrations, fans, etc. Once again, we don't know what these stimuli are in themselves. We only know that they confront us.

Another part of the metaphor is the fact that through our activity we're providing inputs to the game. Normally these are keyboard, mouse, joystick, etc.

Now what is the VG experience in the most general sense? It's a stream of output stimuli (perceptions) which come towards us, so to speak. But there's also the stream of our input actions (will) which go from us towards the game. The important thing is that these inputs cause certain changes in the incoming (perceptual) stream. In other words, there's feedback. But we must be perfectly clear that not everything reflects our inputs. For example, in a racing game our will is reflected back to us as the fact that the perceived car turns, accelerates, brakes, etc. But the scenery, the road, the other cars do not depend on our actions.

It is similar in our real life. There's a constant stream of perceptions and we continually send the stream of our activity out. As a result, some parts of the incoming perceptual stream are modified.

Now comes the most challenging part. While in the VG analogy we interface with the game through our will - we press keys, click, double-click, etc., we should imagine that the game reflects also our thinking. Think of it thus - when we press a key we're doing something with our will. As a result a perceptual change is fed back to us. It is similar with thinking. When we think, we're doing something, we're still willing something into reality. It's not muscle movement but it is still something that we try to project into reality. And once again, the perceptual world feeds back on us - these are our thought perceptions, for example, our inner voice.

From my observations on this forum, this last part is the greatest obstacle for most people. They simply don't want to awaken to the fact that they're innerly doing something and as a result the game feeds back thought perceptions. Both materialists and idealists want to watch their thoughts as on movie, as if something else is responsible for them. This is the main goal of the light dot exercise (btw I don't know from whence came the 'red' dot :) I spoke of light dot only). The goal is gain clear awareness of the fact that we're innerly willing something and the game reflects back corresponding changes in the 'pixels'.

Our thinking is the kind of input where the output that is being fed back and the input are most in sync. They are so in sync that we feel as the seamless creator of the thought-pixels. They follow our thought-willing intents so closely, so perfectly, that it is through them that we at all gain consciousness of our role in the game.

With feelings things are much less in sync. Sometimes we're angry and even though we try to will some more positive emotions, the game still feeds back anger on us.

In bodily will things are most remote. This may sound strange to many, because in certain sense, the movements of our fingers reflect our intents to no lesser degree than our inner voice reflects thinking. Yet this holds true only as long as our fingers are healthy. If there's some problem in our body we quickly realize how much distance there really is between our willing intents and the perceptual feedback of our body.

Finally, there's also a whole other domain of pixels, which we commonly call 'the world', which do not at all nudge at our inputs. So we have a whole palette of possible inputs which cause modifications in the output stream with various degrees of consistency.

Now I believe that this metaphor is completely intelligible for a person living in our present age. Even if the person hasn't spend too much time with video games, these things are part of our present culture and they should be easily relatable.

Note that what we did is not to build some theory of reality. We don't postulate some world computer, we don't postulate what the pixels are, we don't postulate what we are. We're focused entirely within the given. We simply use modern language to point at inner experiences.

It is really simple - we have the incoming stream of perceptions and our outgoing stream of will. We don't say that these streams exist as things in themselves. We don't say how they interact. These are only linguistic handles for inner experience. We experience the stream of colors, sounds, etc., no matter what name we give it. We experience ourselves as a willing source, that tries to augment the perceptual stream, no matter what name we give it. As long as we stay firmly in the given, we're safe from errors. Note that the way we describe things is equally applicable for our normal waking life but also for our dream life. That's because we don't go beyond the given to speculate what lies behind perceptions. Even in dreams, we still experience perceptual stream and we still do things through which we augment it.

This leads us to the question of lawfulness. As with every game, there're certain relations between what we do with the inputs and what feeds back on us. For example, if I'm playing a first-person shooter, when I press the up arrow, my hero moves forwards. Blobs of pixels which were formerly small, begin to grow larger - I'm getting closer to some objects. Of course, in a real computer there's no physical game space inside it. It's all calculations. The 3D environment on screen is only a synthetic picture produced by calculations. The virtual space of the game doesn't exist as such somewhere behind the screen. Yet this doesn't prevent us to learn the lawfulness of this virtual space and how the pixels change in response to our inputs. I tried to present an interesting case here, which is on the same topic. Our focus is not on speculating what the world is, how many dimensions it has, of what particles it is made. We only investigate how the perceptual stream is augmented in response to our willing inputs.

This is the major shift of scientific perspective that we must achieve. Science, for quite some centuries now, has been preoccupied with imagining a toy-model of the world and describing the rules through which this model transforms from frame to frame. This places the scientist (or philosopher) as an invisible spectator outside reality. Yet even Kant knew that such a vantage point is nowhere to be found! The artificial nature of this vantage point is what creates the geocentric complexity, under which weight we're crushed.

Here we're simply trying to assume the proper perspective, which is firmly grounded in the given. There's no need to fantasize a vantage point outside of the supposed reality. Our existential flow is already what is directly given to us and it is that flow which we must investigate. Of course this calls for new cognitive habits. For the longest time we've become used to the virtual vantage point outside the Cosmos. We're so used to it, that today we face the greatest difficulties even to point attention to the fact that people actually think from there. Thinking has sunk entirely in the blind spot. We think about the supposed toy-model of the world but we don't stop even for a second to consider that our thinking itself is the most immediate example of the time-flow of reality. What more do we need? We have the stuff of reality - the perceptual stream. We have the activity of reality - our will. We have their interaction - the perceptual stream is continually being augmented in response to our activity. Furthermore this augmentation is not random but follows certain lawful patterns.

Returning to the difficulties that we face. It's bad enough that people don't want to feel as the active force behind the perceptions of thoughts, but it
becomes downright impossible to make the next step which is to recognize that our ordinary thinking is only a limited expression of even deeper level of spiritual activity.

In VG we have a limited input palette. There are only some keys which are used. For example, we have keys to steer our car but we don't have a key that lifts it up in the air. So there are certain input slots, so to speak, buttons, levers, potentiometers, through which our willing interfaces with the game. It's similar with our thinking. Our language forms one such 'keyboard' through which we interact with the game and receive feedback through the perceptual stream. But think about the following: when we interact with the keyboard with our fingers we have our hands which operate in a volume of space where we can make the most varied hand gestures. Yet only these gestures which hit the keys and have some perceptible effect in the game, are those which have significance. We should imagine that our hands are normally invisible, we don't even know that they exist but we somehow (for ex. trial and error) learn to employ our will in such a way that we hit some keys and the car on the screen moves. Please note that this doesn't invite us immediately to think about our hands. Instead, we're focused on the perceptual feedback. We learn to will things such that we can steer our car on the screen, we may never even reach the point to think about the fact that there are actually hands pressing the buttons.

It's somewhat similar with our thinking. In the course of life we've learned to produce the thinking inner verbal sound that help us navigate the game. But what exactly are we doing in order to push these thought buttons? With what part of our invisible willing being we're doing this? Unsurprisingly, most people in our age never even get the hint that such questions can be asked. But today it is of vital importance that such questions are asked. Why? Because we need to realize the way in which our linguistic-mathematical-symbolic-thinking keyboard restricts our deeper activity to express only through these rigid slots. We have no consciousness of all the other potential things that our activity can do.

Let's address one of the most fundamental problem in this forum. The stumbling stone for many. The question for the non-dual consciousness which for many represents that absolute origin of reality.

Our VG analogy can help us here. The mystical state makes a very important observation. It practically says: "Throughout our live we're busy pressing the thinking, feeling and willing buttons of the game and the perceptual stream changes accordingly. Yet this is not the full reality. Actually, this is only an illusion. We should recognize that when we step back from the keyboard, we become conscious of a wider consciousness, which is ordinarily sucked in the input slots of the game. When we step back, we realize that in our normal life, we're as hypnotized by the slots and we know ourselves only through them. But we can be free from the limited consciousness which invests itself in the slots, and instead expand into the pure consciousness, completely unconstrained and limitless."

This is the basic non-dual philosophy. And it is splendid! It is very important. We have given it the most varied names. For example, with Mike we arrived at the concept of "Stepping out of the movie". But in the light of our VG analogy, does anyone spot something missing?

Please note this well. It's very simple, it's only attachedness to ideas which prevents us to see it. It's very well that we can step out of the input slots and be aware of the wider consciousness which is no longer restricted in any one of them. But does the reader notice how surreptitiously we have also gotten rid of the willing activity itself? Why should we split things in this way? If we find ourselves in a wider state, free from the rigid thinking, feeling and willing slots, why not investigate the wider degrees of freedom which our liberated spiritual activity is now in position to know? Why not come to know our active being in the nature that is has before it has become condensed into the input slots? Why be content with simply stepping outside the slots and simply be 'awaring' and 'experiencing'. Please note this well. In the mystical state we still live in the perceptual stream of the game but we have lifted ourselves from the rigid keys. But at the same time, we completely forsake any form of activity. We have liberated our spiritual activity from the rigid slots but only in order to paralyze it in passive perceiving of the output stream.

This is the greatest fallacy of modern non-dualism. And please note that I say 'modern'. This is not Buddha's fault. Buddha did everything perfectly, as it was appropriate for his time. It is the fault of modern man that he insist on keeping paralyzed that, which is supposed to be active. This insistence introduces completely unwarranted duality in the otherwise imagined to be non-dual state. Completely unjustifiably consciousness is split in the part that can be active, that can will and perceive how the perceptual stream is augmented in response, and in the part that liberates itself from the input slots but together with that it also leaves behind any kind of willing activity. In other words, the perceptual stream becomes completely external, there's no longer anything which the will finds feeding back on itself, and as a result giving self-consciousness.

This is as simply as I can explain this. Higher forms of cognition proceed from the fact that we can be active even in these regions above the rigid input slots. This activity feels differently. I won't go into details here because the post is already long enough.

I'll stop here. We haven't even approached the second image and the individual circles. We stayed firmly in our given experience. This is completely intentional. Let's see how well things are understood so far.

In our VG analogy, we have the perceptual incoming stream. We don't care what's 'behind' that stream. We're only noting the bare facts. On the other hand there exists such thing as our thinking/feeling/willing activity which acts as inputs for the game. As a result the perceptual stream reacts, it changes. If there's no correlation between our willing intents and the perceptual stream we would never gain self-consciousness. Imagine that instead of playing the game you're watching an youtube video where someone else plays. You press buttons on the keyboard but there's absolutely no correlation between what you're doing and what happens on screen. Imagine that we can't have direct perception of our hands (as the prior example), that we can only know of our willing intents when we see their correlated reflections on screen. Thus we learn to know ourselves as a willing spiritual being only through the fact that there's in-phase relation between what we will and what we perceive. If these two are out of phase, as when we watch someone else playing, then we're willing 'in the dark', we don't have self-consciousness at all! Self-consciousness is gained when our willing intents and the augmented perceptual stream lock together. This is what our thinking achieves. In thinking our hidden thinking intents meet the perceptual stream which includes our inner voice and they are locked in. That's why the will can recognize itself and say "I'm thinking these inner words, they reflect what I'm secretly doing with my activity". It's similar with the light dot.

Once we have our self-consciousness, even if through the rigid input slots (keys) of linguistic-mathematical-symbolic thinking, we can gradually grow from there. Not by simply letting go of the slots and succumbing to pure contemplation of the perceptual stream to which we have no contribution (as if we watch someone else play on youtube) but by trying to gradually recognize how our liberated activity outside the slots augments the perceptual stream, even if in a way different than our ordinary bodily thinking, feeling and willing.

Let's see how clear all this is. And this is not only for Anthony but for anyone following. Let's hear if this metaphor is understood. Only if we understand these basic things from the healthy vantage point, we'll be able to continue growing out into the more obscure mysteries, such as those on the second image.

PS: Anthony, I won't address your question from the other thread at this time. The reason is that half of higher development is to simply understand in a living way the very foundations of it. This is what we try to do above. This analogy shouldn't remain abstract theory. One should try see it as purely phenomenological description of our own inner experience. We should not imagine someone else playing and perceiving the game. We should experience how we ourselves perceive, how we ourselves will, how our will modifies the perceptual stream and how we recognize what we're doing in these modifications.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Cleric K wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 pm Let's address one of the most fundamental problem in this forum. The stumbling stone for many. The question for the non-dual consciousness which for many represents that absolute origin of reality.

Our VG analogy can help us here. The mystical state makes a very important observation. It practically says: "Throughout our live we're busy pressing the thinking, feeling and willing buttons of the game and the perceptual stream changes accordingly. Yet this is not the full reality. Actually, this is only an illusion. We should recognize that when we step back from the keyboard, we become conscious of a wider consciousness, which is ordinarily sucked in the input slots of the game. When we step back, we realize that in our normal life, we're as hypnotized by the slots and we know ourselves only through them. But we can be free from the limited consciousness which invests itself in the slots, and instead expand into the pure consciousness, completely unconstrained and limitless."

This is the basic non-dual philosophy. And it is splendid! It is very important. We have given it the most varied names. For example, with Mike we arrived at the concept of "Stepping out of the movie". But in the light of our VG analogy, does anyone spot something missing?

Please note this well. It's very simple, it's only attachedness to ideas which prevents us to see it. It's very well that we can step out of the input slots and be aware of the wider consciousness which is no longer restricted in any one of them. But does the reader notice how surreptitiously we have also gotten rid of the willing activity itself? Why should we split things in this way? If we find ourselves in a wider state, free from the rigid thinking, feeling and willing slots, why not investigate the wider degrees of freedom which our liberated spiritual activity is now in position to know? Why not come to know our active being in the nature that is has before it has become condensed into the input slots? Why be content with simply stepping outside the slots and simply be 'awaring' and 'experiencing'. Please note this well. In the mystical state we still live in the perceptual stream of the game but we have lifted ourselves from the rigid keys. But at the same time, we completely forsake any form of activity. We have liberated our spiritual activity from the rigid slots but only in order to paralyze it in passive perceiving of the output stream.
Thanks for this, Cleric.

I wanted to add a consideration to the above. I'm sure you have mentioned it before, but it's an insight I had from reading your post and it's probably worth reiterating. Something I notice with the modern non-dual view, especially in response to what you write here, and I suppose esoteric spiritual views in general, is this question of "what are my imaginations and what are actual spiritual imaginations from the higher realms?" Eugene especially brings this up often. I'm not trying to pick on him, but it's just a fact that this is mentioned in nearly all of his posts in response to Cleric's illustrations of higher spiritual activity. I am sure others wonder the same thing as well, as I myself have before, and it's a sign of healthy skeptical thinking. But generally, everything that a person doesn't want to admit as a possibility is simply declared "personal imagination", which conveniently ends up being practically any imaginations which speak objectively to higher realms with living spiritual beings. Of course there is usually a problematic private/public dualism embedded in such responses, but we will leave that aside.

If I am following the logic correctly, it is precisely our remaining linked into the input-output feedback of our spiritual activity with the perceptual stream that would allow us to also distinguish what is coming from our own activity and what is coming from beyond that activity. What images we ourselves produce, when our activity is still linked into the input-output, can also be extinguished by our willing activity. When we sever that link by 'stepping out of the movie', however, we have also severed that capacity to extinguish. Then we are truly at the mercy of imaginations which are only our own subconscious creations, because we have forced ourselves into passively perceiving the stream without the active willing element which feeds back into our thinking. So, what we are most concerned about becomes an inescapable reality when we refuse, by way of intellectual "non-dual" theories, to simply stick with the givens of experience and remain connected with our own spiritual activity.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Anthony66

Post by Anthony66 »

Cleric K wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 pm Let's see how clear all this is. And this is not only for Anthony but for anyone following. Let's hear if this metaphor is understood. Only if we understand these basic things from the healthy vantage point, we'll be able to continue growing out into the more obscure mysteries, such as those on the second image.
Cleric,

Thanks for your detail response, it makes perfect sense. I have to disagree with: "We don't care what's 'behind' that stream. " Answering what is "behind" the stream is the motivation for my diagram and a question I've been grappling with for months.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:01 am
If I am following the logic correctly, it is precisely our remaining linked into the input-output feedback of our spiritual activity with the perceptual stream that would allow us to also distinguish what is coming from our own activity and what is coming from beyond that activity. What images we ourselves produce, when our activity is still linked into the input-output, can also be extinguished by our willing activity. When we sever that link by 'stepping out of the movie', however, we have also severed that capacity to extinguish. Then we are truly at the mercy of imaginations which are only our own subconscious creations, because we have forced ourselves into passively perceiving the stream without the active willing element which feeds back into our thinking. So, what we are most concerned about becomes an inescapable reality when we refuse, by way of intellectual "non-dual" theories, to simply stick with the givens of experience and remain connected with our own spiritual activity.
Yes. Things are really simple but are rejected in irrational manner (and this irrationality is mistaken for some form of intuition that overcomes the deficiencies of the intellect).

The thing is that today's mysticism, since it clings to a previous evolutionary stage of consciousness, sees in the developing thinking ego an illusion and the source of all evil. This leads to an inner antipathy to anything which reminds of an individual causative center. This is what we hear everywhere: "Yes, the ego is necessary in our Earthly life but the experience of being causally responsible for certain inputs which augment the incoming output (perceptual stream), is an illusion."

So what's the solution? Simply detach from any form of spiritual activity (except the activity which does the detachment itself) and free float in 'experiencing', 'awaring', etc. This is the highly esteemed so called 'pure awareness'. The logical error here is glaring. It mistakes the completely passive contemplation (experiencing) of the perceptual flow, for the primordial grounds of existence. It mistakes watching a movie for the state from which the movie is actually created.

This has been brought up so many times here! Even the most superficial thinking should feel that the feminine principle (the incoming perceptual stream) and the masculine principle (the outgoing stream of will) should work together and seek harmony. The dualism of non-dualism is eye-poking! It completely discards the active principle and simply steps out and contemplates the perceptual stream.

To relate this to the VG analogy, the ideal of today's mysticism is to simply lift our hands from the keyboard. We 'step out of the movie'. From that point onwards, the game is only being 'experienced'. We simply contemplate the perceptual stream as when we watch someone else playing on Twitch or Youtube. And in certain sense this is a valuable experience. It really allows us to detach for a while from the input slots and realize that there's more to existence.

Yet mysticism never takes the next step. Fine, we lift our thinking hands off the keyboard (the rigid intellectual thoughts). We enter the mystical state. But why on Earth should we consider this to be the ultimate achievement? Isn't it obvious that once we have freed our hands from the rigid keys we are yet to begin exploring the new gestures, the new degrees of freedom of our spiritual activity, which have been thus liberated?

But here mysticism falls into its own infernal loop. Instead of recognizing the spiritual activity within the rigid input slots and seek the deeper activity that fills these slots, it erroneously identifies any first-person activity as belonging to the pole of illusion, while the contemplative, experiencing pole is assumed to be reality.

It is very simple indeed but both materialism and mysticism have made the souls 'allergic' to the manifestation of our individual spiritual activity. The materialist says: "It's an illusion. The brain thinks. Consciousness is only a visualization of processes that happen by iron necessity". The mystic says "Individual self-propelled thinking is an illusion. The only reality is the pure contemplative consciousness, which simply observes the perceptual stream."

For anyone with basic sense of balance it should be glaringly obvious how the pole of activity (masculine) is eradicated from reality. And why? Because it implies the question of responsibility and morality. It's easy to detach and watch the movie of existence. It's a carefree experience. But being conscious center of activity, requires understanding of reality. We need to understand how our inputs feed back on us. And not only on the personal level but as a whole, on the collective and Cosmic level. This is what souls today don't want to hear about. Instead they seek non-duality by eradicating one half of reality. Then, when they lose from sight the masculine principle, they say "Aaah... peace at last. Pure experiencing. Reality is one undivided feminine principle of contemplating the perceptual stream."

I don't know if I can be more clear, more explicit, more literal than this. Modern mysticism lifts its spiritual hands from the inputs and calls that absolute reality, the grounds of existence. Yet evolution demands from us not simply to lift our hands but to realize that these hands are really there and we can explore new gestures, new degrees of freedom, which feed back on us in new ways. We need to investigate how our spirit has been secretly pressing the keys of our intellectual life, and now we're now in position to become conscious within the spirit, which has been playing on the intellectual keyboard all along but not yet with clear self-consciousness.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Anthony66 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:45 am Cleric,

Thanks for your detail response, it makes perfect sense. I have to disagree with: "We don't care what's 'behind' that stream. " Answering what is "behind" the stream is the motivation for my diagram and a question I've been grappling with for months.
Yes, indeed we care about the behind! The goal of the above post was to point attention to the way in which we seek the depth of the stream. The psychological inertia is immense! It is not from today or yesterday. These are centuries old, well trodden cognitive circuits which work in our thinking quite autonomously. If we simply try to make an intellectual model of the behind, to postulate some spiritual 'atoms' that make up reality, we're still locked in the old consciousness.

The new science requires from us to have direct, field knowledge of reality. Whatever we speculate about the 'behind' with our intellect, is bound to remain with us 'in front'. Instead, the depth is achieved by gradual investigation of the way our inputs work upon reality and more importantly, how we should awaken to degrees of freedom of our spiritual activity, which were previously unknown. If we imagine our spiritual activity as a very versatile, flexible fluidic first-person willed force field, in our intellectual life it fills and activates the rigid shapes of thoughts, as water fills glass vessels. These are the inputs. The 'behind' is not revealed by adding ever more and more glass shapes but by becoming conscious within the fluidic force field. Even though we use the words 'force field' we shouldn't try to imagine this in the way we imagine electric field. It is just an imaginative expression for our first person thinking will. We are that force. Then we have not merely intellectual theory of the behind but direct cognitive experience of the spiritual world. Our thinking is liberated and begins to move like a fluid, touching from the inside, the geometry of a world that was hitherto unknown, because all our cognition was previously forced to jump from rigid shape to rigid shape.

The liberated spiritual activity is of thought-nature. It is the precursor of the intellect, even though in the course of evolution we discover it as something new. Our intellect is crystalized Imagination. For this reason, just like our ordinary thoughts are meaningful understanding, so the liberated Imaginative spiritual activity is in itself also meaningful understanding of a much broader character.

When our spirit moves from glass vessel to glass vessel (for example, verbal thoughts), the totality of this experience we call simply 'the mind'. When we gain consciousness of our higher degrees of freedom of our fluidic cognitive force (which otherwise fills the glass vessels), the totality of this experience we can call 'Imaginative consciousness'. It is not some additional shapes and colors that we simply behold in the perceptual stream and think about them with the intellect. It's the nature, the 'geometry' of our liberated cognitive activity which in itself, gives us the consciousness of a higher world, just like ordinary thoughts give us consciousness of 'mind'. So the Imaginative world is really something like a higher mind, which overflows the boundary of our skin and is an arena where activity of many beings superimpose.

If this is understood, then it should be clear, that evolving consciousness doesn't seek answers in the form of abstract arrangements of intellectual forms. Instead it seeks first-person experience of the spiritual activity which has been lifted from the rigid inputs and weaves in a higher stratum. This we do not in order to escape the physical world but only because in this way we can add depth to the physical world. In this way we can understand how human behavior works, from whence desires come, how we should guide our individual and collective life in the light of this deeper lawfulness and so on.
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

Cleric, making sure I understand what you are saying . . . If one’s aspirations were to do what is right in all circumstances, it is possible for the human intellect/mind to compute the proper course of action? For example, in a new edition of Bhavagita, when Arjuna dropped his bow due to not knowing what to do on the battlefield, in a more modern edition with evolved humans, Krishna would say “you can think this through”
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

lorenzop wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:52 pm Cleric, making sure I understand what you are saying . . . If one’s aspirations were to do what is right in all circumstances, it is possible for the human intellect/mind to compute the proper course of action? For example, in a new edition of Bhavagita, when Arjuna dropped his bow due to not knowing what to do on the battlefield, in a more modern edition with evolved humans, Krishna would say “you can think this through”
No, I'm not saying that. Krishna may have sounded like that in the Age of Enlightenment, when there was great hope that through sensory evidence worked upon by the intellect, the solutions of all problems can be found. I believe that few centuries later it is quite clear to anyone that purely rational thought combining (calculating) the facts of the senses is still powerless to ennoble the human soul. What happened is that the rational intellect became slave for fulfilment of egoistic desires. This we see on personal, collective and geopolitical level. What moves the current historic events if not certain human desires working in the souls of those in power?

The answer of mysticism doesn't go a long way either. It says: "Just take your hands off the keyboard. There's nothing you can do. This is the nature of the Earthly sandbox and it is never going to change. Let go, watch the movie till the end, don't intervene, be compassionate towards those still passionate about their roles, and hopefully you'll be in a better state after death."

What I'm saying is that we're unconscious of the deeper layers of our being, where the furnace of desires burns, where dim national, racial, religious feelings ray down in our ordinary consciousness. These subconscious layers shape the limited palette of our waking consciousness, the keys of our thoughts and actions.

Imagine playing the game with broken keyboard, jittery mouse, arthritic hands and so on. We're used to this. We're merged with the inputs, because that's all we know. We use our intellect in whatever way we instinctively can. Note that in our age no one teaches children how to think. They are only thaught what to think.

As sad as it is, in our age we're psychologically damaged. And no, simply lifting our hands off the keys doesn't improve the situation, even if we believe that this makes us enlightened and that we're now seeing 'clearly'. We can only improve our situation when we begin to gain consciousness in the spiritual forces that operate behind the rigid forms. We should discover new keys, repair broken ones, learn to move our fluid spiritual activity musically. Only in this way we can organize our body of desires and give way to nobler and higher ideas, which are in harmony with Cosmic development.
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

So i am still unclear of what you are suggesting, if one wanted to do what is right and good, you are saying there exists in the World forms and ideas that can guide us - appreciating and utilizing these forms and ideas - isn’t this what you meaning by ‘thinking’?