Historical Individuation and Mind-at-Large

Here participants should focus discussion on Bernardo's model and related ideas, by way of exploration, explication, elaboration, and constructive critique. Moderators may intervene to reel in commentary that has drifted too far into areas where other interest groups may try to steer it
Soul_of_Shu

Historical Individuation and Mind-at-Large

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

While I didn't find this chat between Matt Segall and his partner especially noteworthy, as an intro to a talk that Matt had with BK, supposedly to be uploaded soon, and possibly having some potential depth, some may want to check this out ... I'll post the conversation with BK here, once it's available

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Historical Individuation and Mind-at-Large

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Though I've yet to listen to it, here is that long conversation between Matt Segall and BK ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:24 pm Though I've yet to listen to it, here is that long conversation between Matt Segall and BK ...

I listened to a bit. The abstractions are tough to deal with after awhile. Whitehead is especially abstract and it didn't seem like Segall was making it any easier to relate his ideas with concrete experience. That being said, Whitehead's processual ontology and incorporation of space-time relativistic science is definitely an advance over analytic idealism, which really does neither.

Early on, BK mentions Kant. We've already summed up all the issues here with BK many times. One thing I noticed was that he criticizes Kant for not positing an ontology in CPR, instead trying to philosophize from his perceptual and conceptual experience. BK feels Schopenhauer is an advance because he basically skips over much of that and just posits the Will as something he can directly know (how does he know? by Reason, of course) and something which can be extrapolated to the Cosmos as a whole. This is practically the definition of abstract thinking - prioritizing pure conceptual speculation about the "essence" of things over reasoning from first-person experience of perceptual and conceptual phenomena.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

I finally finished listening to all 3 hours, which I took in slowly, deliberately and contemplatively. As a non-philosopher, I found it to be one of the richest and most rewarding dialogues that I've heard. I learned much. It was so interesting to witness what two very smart guys can achieve when the quest is for mutual understanding more than conquest. Interestingly, they end with a shared remembrance of Steiner's 1919 call for concreteness in philosophy and spirituality as applicable to our present frightful historical moment.

BRAVO! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I WANT MORE!
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love