Do you think there is extraterrestrial life, and why?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Starbuck

Re: Do you think there is extraterrestrial life, and why?

Post by Starbuck »

Martin_ wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:18 pm I just hope that when/if they arrive we've gotten Wetiko under control, because if not, we'll project everything that's wrong onto the Arrivals instead of working with ourselves, and we'd be none the wiser for it.
Some argue that extraterrestrials spiked us with Wetiko as an evolutionary 'boost'. Check out the Prometheus films for a visual representation. Black goo.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Starbuck wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:13 pm
Martin_ wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:18 pm I just hope that when/if they arrive we've gotten Wetiko under control, because if not, we'll project everything that's wrong onto the Arrivals instead of working with ourselves, and we'd be none the wiser for it.
Some argue that extraterrestrials spiked us with Wetiko as an evolutionary 'boost'. Check out the Prometheus films for a visual representation. Black goo.
Is this "Wetiko" concept supposed to be profound? It sounds like what spiritual tradition across all cultures has been cautioning for millennia now, only turned into a modern materialized conception, more digestible for mass consumerist culture which loves everything to be related to "aliens".

Prometheus movies were well done, though.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
TriloByte

Post by TriloByte »

Hedge90 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:05 pm Addressing this mostly to fellow idealists, because we've heard the potential answers a million times from materialist scientists. Do you think that if idealism is right this also has consequences regarding this question? To clarify, I mean only life in this universe, not other "spiritual dimensions" or "parallel realities" or anything like that.
From a materialist POV life is an accident. From an idealist POV, there could be an intrinsic trend toward creating life. It may be consciously or “instintive” in kastrupian parlance. This would be the addition that philosophical idealism makes to answer that question.

Sometimes I think we should trust science, and from a scientific POV there are a lot of planets in the universe that currently or potentially can support life.

Conclusion: idealism POV + scientific POV = yes, high chance of extraterrestrial life.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Just a test to see if posts are getting through ... Or have the ET tricksters jammed the forum traffic?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:11 am Just a test to see if posts are getting through ... Or have the ET tricksters jammed the forum traffic?
Comm's just fine. I guess the "What is alter?" topic has been finally exhausted and no one cares to go further :)
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Cleric K wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:32 am
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:11 am Just a test to see if posts are getting through ... Or have the ET tricksters jammed the forum traffic?
Comm's just fine. I guess the "What is alter?" topic has been finally exhausted and no one cares to go further :)
Rumour has it that Ashvin has been abducted by aliens, and is now teaching a correctional course in Anthroposophy to captured android assassins being held in some galactic gulag. :mrgreen:
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:57 pm
Cleric K wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:32 am
Rumour has it that Ashvin has been abducted by aliens, and is now teaching a correctional course in Anthroposophy to captured android assassins being held in some galactic gulag. :mrgreen:
:lol:

I'm still here, but there are only so many essays I can write these days :) Also lorenzo et al. declaring nothing exists doesn't leave much room for further discussion :?

Dana, I've been meaning to ask you... how's that reading of PoF coming along? Any questions?? :D
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"