Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Here participants should focus discussion on Bernardo's model and related ideas, by way of exploration, explication, elaboration, and constructive critique. Moderators may intervene to reel in commentary that has drifted too far into areas where other interest groups may try to steer it

Moderator: Soul_of_Shu

User avatar
Lou Gold
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 pm

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:10 pm
Eugene I. wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm Also, for anyone interested, here is Alexander Dugin, a prominent Russian Slavianophilist philosopher.
Slavianophilists really gotta come up with a cooler name for that fixated separate identity notion if they want anyone to join in :mrgreen:

The only '-ophile' I can relate to is being a musicophile, and with that I think I'll chime out of the rhetorical quagmire, with not even one POV I can ponder without feeling despair, and let the pentup woundup windup dressup doll of this politico persona wind down, returning to a state of quietude to the tune of this Warrior ...

Dana, I grok your good-natured, light-hearted and soulful desire to get out of the insanity but your preference for a "cooler name" than "Slavianophilists" clearly reflects your status as an Anglophile. I mean no criticism. At some level we are all some version of an "-ophile" and the challenge of transcending self-and-other tension remains.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
User avatar
Soul_of_Shu
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:36 am
Dana, I grok your good-natured, light-hearted and soulful desire to get out of the insanity but your preference for a "cooler name" than "Slavianophilists" clearly reflects your status as an Anglophile.
You're imagining this.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
User avatar
Lou Gold
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 pm

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:32 am
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:36 am
Dana, I grok your good-natured, light-hearted and soulful desire to get out of the insanity but your preference for a "cooler name" than "Slavianophilists" clearly reflects your status as an Anglophile.
You're imagining this.


For sure, I'm imagining. Got a suggestion for a cooler name not in English?
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
User avatar
Soul_of_Shu
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:55 am For sure, I'm imagining. Got a suggestion for a cooler name not in English?
Can a joke just be a joke? But hey, I'll see if my poetic sensibilities can be so inspired.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
User avatar
Lou Gold
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 pm

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 am
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:55 am For sure, I'm imagining. Got a suggestion for a cooler name not in English?
Can a joke just be a joke? But hey, I'll see if my poetic sensibilities can be so inspired.
Of course, but I wanted to stimulate your most creative poetic skills.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
User avatar
Soul_of_Shu
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:01 am
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 am
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:55 am For sure, I'm imagining. Got a suggestion for a cooler name not in English?
Can a joke just be a joke? But hey, I'll see if my poetic sensibilities can be so inspired.
Of course, but I wanted to stimulate your most creative poetic skills.
Someone already came up with Slavisimo! As I'm into learning spanish these days, how about amanteslavos, which kinda rolls lovely off the tongue ... Just realized, duhh, that the words slav and slave have the same derivation, sclava, meaning captive. Rather speaks volumes about why those folks might feel some very deep grievances, and crave a more superior self view.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
User avatar
Lou Gold
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:18 pm

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 am
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:01 am
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 am
Can a joke just be a joke? But hey, I'll see if my poetic sensibilities can be so inspired.
Of course, but I wanted to stimulate your most creative poetic skills.
Someone already came up with Slavisimo! As I'm into learning spanish these days, how about amanteslavos, which kinda rolls lovely off the tongue ... Just realized, duhh, that the words slav and slave have the same derivation, sclava, meaning captive. Rather speaks volumes about why those folks might feel some very deep grievances, and crave a more superior self view.


Yeah, the scars and scares run so deep. One understandably seeks refuge in music. With the pull of events drawing one toward Europe, I'm immersed in Spiegel im Spiegel of Arvo Pärt, which somehow goes very deep into my heart. May its peace spread.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
User avatar
Soul_of_Shu
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:54 am
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 am
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:01 am

Of course, but I wanted to stimulate your most creative poetic skills.
Someone already came up with Slavisimo! As I'm into learning spanish these days, how about amanteslavos, which kinda rolls lovely off the tongue ... Just realized, duhh, that the words slav and slave have the same derivation, sclava, meaning captive. Rather speaks volumes about why those folks might feel some very deep grievances, and crave a more superior self view.


Yeah, the scars and scares run so deep. One understandably seeks refuge in music. With the pull of events drawing one toward Europe, I'm immersed in Spiegel im Spiegel of Arvo Pärt, which somehow goes very deep into my heart. May its peace spread.
Now wondering what the russian term for 'slavic' folks is, what they call themselves, as opposed to a name imposed upon them. Google translate comes up with славянский, which when pronounced comes out as slavyanskiy, so seemingly still the same derivation. But perhaps Eugene knows another more colloquial term?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I.
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:20 pm

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Eugene I. »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:13 pm Now wondering what the russian term for 'slavic' folks is, what they call themselves, as opposed to a name imposed upon them. Google translate comes up with славянский, which when pronounced comes out as slavyanskiy, so seemingly still the same derivation. But perhaps Eugene knows another more colloquial term?
славянский is the only term I'm aware of, or another grammatic form of it is славянe
It's not a coincidence that "slavic" and "slave" has the same root, slavery is in our genes and culture, as Anton Chekhov said “Write about this man who, drop by drop, squeezes the slave's blood out of himself until he wakes one day to find the blood of a real human being--not a slave's--coursing through his veins.” All history of Russia is attempting to rebel against slavery once in a while only to quickly snap back into some other form of it.
User avatar
Soul_of_Shu
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Evil abstraction: the psychology of totalitarianism

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Eugene I. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:54 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:13 pm Now wondering what the russian term for 'slavic' folks is, what they call themselves, as opposed to a name imposed upon them. Google translate comes up with славянский, which when pronounced comes out as slavyanskiy, so seemingly still the same derivation. But perhaps Eugene knows another more colloquial term?
славянский is the only term I'm aware of, or another grammatic form of it is славянe
It's not a coincidence that "slavic" and "slave" has the same root, slavery is in our genes and culture, as Anton Chekhov said “Write about this man who, drop by drop, squeezes the slave's blood out of himself until he wakes one day to find the blood of a real human being--not a slave's--coursing through his veins.”
Great quote ... благодарю вас ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Post Reply