Dante in dialogue with Bernardo Kastrup

Here participants should focus discussion on Bernardo's model and related ideas, by way of exploration, explication, elaboration, and constructive critique. Moderators may intervene to reel in commentary that has drifted too far into areas where other interest groups may try to steer it
Soul_of_Shu

Dante in dialogue with Bernardo Kastrup

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

No, not Dante being expressed through a channeler, but a monologue regarding a Dante-esque take on Idealism contra the Kastrupian take, with Mark Vernon as conversant and eloquent as ever ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Re: Dante in dialogue with Bernardo Kastrup

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:20 pm No, not Dante being expressed through a channeler, but a monologue regarding a Dante-esque take on Idealism contra the Kastrupian take, with Mark Vernon as conversant and eloquent as ever ...

Great talk. I would sum up the criticism as, "let's consider the human individual in his or her wholeness and stop projecting our own cognitive limitations at any given time onto Reality itself". Why focus on the 'dissociation' of the human psyche and not it's capacity for projection and imagination? Because ignoring the latter let's us project our own lack of imagination onto Reality as a fundamental limit, and then we have 'absolved' ourselves of the responsibility of developing imagination. Unfortunately, if BK ever watches this, it will likely appear only as a bunch of intellectual points to quibble about around the edges, rather than issues necessary for him to confront and completely transform his philosophy into something more reflective of human ideational experience. This comes back to my discussion with Grant on the GD thread. When these things are only presented as intellectual arguments, they will never be convincing. The concepts will never sink deep enough into the psyche which we are asking to reflect more carefully on its own experience.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Re: Dante in dialogue with Bernardo Kastrup

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:20 pm No, not Dante being expressed through a channeler, but a monologue regarding a Dante-esque take on Idealism contra the Kastrupian take, with Mark Vernon as conversant and eloquent as ever ...
Quite wonderful. BK self-describes himself as an intellectual gladiator. So interesting and intriguing to wonder what might happen when BK is approached not by an opposing gladiator but by a fellow eloquent human inviting a dialogic dance. It takes two to tango, of course, but perhaps Vernon can demonstrate some of the steps from hell through purgatory toward paradise. I can imagine the possibility. Count me as a trinitarian.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love