Whirlpool's core/first motion

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Federica

Re: Whirlpool's core/first motion

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:45 am
AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:45 pm
Federica wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:06 pm Regarding the rest of the discussion, I have written a detailed clarification and statement, but I am now deciding to not post it because I cannot discern with enough clarity what is what, what is true, what is supposed, what the motives might be. So I prefer to let go of it.

No problem, Federica. If you prefer to send it by PM, that's fine too.

Have a good trip!

I also want to make clear that I know you weren't advocating for some complete renunciation of all Earthly identifications on this thread. If anything, my caution has only been the 'slippery slope' argument, where small desires, feelings, and thoughts can snowball into bigger and bigger ones if we aren't prudent. Except the slope is much steeper than we can know with the conscious intellect. As mentioned on the other thread, our entire being is woven out of the Ahrimanic and Luciferic impulses, which here could be associated with the nationalistic-karmic and individualistic-freedom attitudes. And, as also mentioned there, the intuitive thinking path requires we lean even more into the Lucifer impulse than we otherwise would. This is where great spiritual egoism can emerge if we aren't careful, and where reasoned faith in the moral orientation of the Christ impulse will become indispensable. I fight this battle often in my own meditations. It can be a more pernicious threat because it's more subtle and harder to notice for those who are spiritually oriented. We may feel safe that we have jumped out the materialistic Ahrimanic boat and are striving for the higher worlds. But we are in a stage now where extreme one sidedness to the Luciferic tendency can practically wind us up in a similar position to following the Ahrimanic tendency - stuck firmly in the past, perhaps even overshooting into the far ancient past, because we are striving for a future which simply cannot be manifest yet. A future which will only be manifest when much larger portions of humanity have embraced higher spiritual knowledge and consciously ideated this future into its incarnate existence. We then also run the risk of purely egoistic spiritual strivings, i.e. black magic. So this is the deeper meaning when it is said, "strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

Ok, thanks! I might do it at a later time then, if there is anything left after I’m done with the finer filtering I am trying to apply now to thought content, as it reaches consciousness as end product. I have realized I had to upgrade the filter. It’s like I’m catching myself a little higher upstream in the flow of intertwined thoughts and feelings that ‘emerge’.

By the way, I read both lectures, I could follow well. No point in commenting, suffice to say, the clarity they bring is immediately beneficial, and invaluable. I don’t doubt I would understand them better and differently, should I read them again in the future, as it just happened today when I reread about the hysteresis process. These contents seem to be able to meet the reader at their current level. It reminds me of what’s called today adaptive learning. These lectures and essays also allow for adaptive learning, the difference being that here the content doesn’t change, and still has the potential to speak to anyone who wants to listen, regardless of their level.

Ending on a light note, the lectures have also made me recall that once I joked - which you didn’t find funny : ) - about the evolutionary path looking so extraordinary that it could have just as well led us to space and on another planet, believing I was taking a hopefully funny flight of fancy. Little did I know that in fact evolution barely does anything outside navigation in the heavenly bodies’ space : )
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:26 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:45 am
AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:45 pm

No problem, Federica. If you prefer to send it by PM, that's fine too.

Have a good trip!

I also want to make clear that I know you weren't advocating for some complete renunciation of all Earthly identifications on this thread. If anything, my caution has only been the 'slippery slope' argument, where small desires, feelings, and thoughts can snowball into bigger and bigger ones if we aren't prudent. Except the slope is much steeper than we can know with the conscious intellect. As mentioned on the other thread, our entire being is woven out of the Ahrimanic and Luciferic impulses, which here could be associated with the nationalistic-karmic and individualistic-freedom attitudes. And, as also mentioned there, the intuitive thinking path requires we lean even more into the Lucifer impulse than we otherwise would. This is where great spiritual egoism can emerge if we aren't careful, and where reasoned faith in the moral orientation of the Christ impulse will become indispensable. I fight this battle often in my own meditations. It can be a more pernicious threat because it's more subtle and harder to notice for those who are spiritually oriented. We may feel safe that we have jumped out the materialistic Ahrimanic boat and are striving for the higher worlds. But we are in a stage now where extreme one sidedness to the Luciferic tendency can practically wind us up in a similar position to following the Ahrimanic tendency - stuck firmly in the past, perhaps even overshooting into the far ancient past, because we are striving for a future which simply cannot be manifest yet. A future which will only be manifest when much larger portions of humanity have embraced higher spiritual knowledge and consciously ideated this future into its incarnate existence. We then also run the risk of purely egoistic spiritual strivings, i.e. black magic. So this is the deeper meaning when it is said, "strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

Ok, thanks! I might do it at a later time then, if there is anything left after I’m done with the finer filtering I am trying to apply now to thought content, as it reaches consciousness as end product. I have realized I had to upgrade the filter. It’s like I’m catching myself a little higher upstream in the flow of intertwined thoughts and feelings that ‘emerge’.

By the way, I read both lectures, I could follow well. No point in commenting, suffice to say, the clarity they bring is immediately beneficial, and invaluable. I don’t doubt I would understand them better and differently, should I read them again in the future, as it just happened today when I reread about the hysteresis process. These contents seem to be able to meet the reader at their current level. It reminds me of what’s called today adaptive learning. These lectures and essays also allow for adaptive learning, the difference being that here the content doesn’t change, and still has the potential to speak to anyone who wants to listen, regardless of their level.

Ending on a light note, the lectures have also made me recall that once I joked - which you didn’t find funny : ) - about the evolutionary path looking so extraordinary that it could have just as well led us to space and on another planet, believing I was taking a hopefully funny flight of fancy. Little did I know that in fact evolution barely does anything outside navigation in the heavenly bodies’ space : )

That was fast! I am glad you followed them. That was my first time coming across them as well and I felt the same as you express above.

Yeah, we are visiting the Moon every night :) What's most remarkable to me is how used to these things that I have become, like "yeah, of course 'space travel' is what we are actually doing".

It's interesting that the best comedy, like the best art in general, subtly reveals to us hidden facets of reality which we are generally afraid or ashamed to speak of in normal materialistic life, allowing us license to freely and actively participate in them. They bridge the inner contradiction between our passive reflection on the world and our creative involvement in its becoming, the natural world of bodily perception and the moral world of soul-spirit.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Anthony66

Post by Anthony66 »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:53 pm
Anthony66 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:40 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:21 pm ...so that we can truly count ourselves amongst the Gods in Heaven
I've been following all the conversations for the last little while without commenting, but this sub-quote offers me the opportunity to ask a question I've been grappling with in regards to you and Cleric.

If I can be a little provocative, you view the Christian revelation through a very interesting lens and frame the various doctrines/teachings/scripture in a new light which traditional Christianity would count you worthy of the stake. Here you reference "Gods". Christianity/Judaism's gift to the world is a fierce monotheism (even though there are scriptural references which would seem to support many gods). Even if you like me, balk at the exoteric forms of Christianity, does not one have to take some heed of this most central of teachings that there is only one God?

BTW, Cleric gave a great response relating to this matter at viewtopic.php?p=17003#p17003
Anthony,

Good to hear from you!

Yes, Cleric's illustration there was very helpful for me also.

Regarding exoteric Christianity, it becomes pretty simple when we understand how exoteric history/culture has proceeded. It doesn't matter whether we are talking about philosophy, religion, science, etc., as they all share the same common attributes of intellectual consciousness which has flattened out the depth structure of the Cosmos and stripped it of most living significance. Just take the multiplicity of Christian denominations and their various scriptural doctrines about baptism, church history, faith and works, the canon of scripture, the apocalypse, rapture, etc. What practical difference does it make if one holds to one view vs. another? Very little. These things used to carry much more living significance in the early Church and Middle Ages, but now they are like switches of dogma that one can turn 'on' or 'off' with little influence on how one relates to the living God, goes about life on Earth, or orients towards the threshold of death and beyond. That is not to say there is no importance of these streams developing in human religious history, but we gain much more insight into them by focusing on that evolutionary development rather than their specific dogmatic content.

It's interesting because Steiner actually remarks on how most Christians at his time were already relating to and worshipping their own personal angel as "God", rather than the supreme Godhead. That makes sense if the depth structure has been flattened out by the intellect. Everything revealed in scripture is conceived in terms of what is material/perceptual (past) and encompassed by the mind-container with its intellectual concepts, while what is invisible, ideational, future, i.e. the spiritual pole, is blotted out. There is no understanding of the kenosis of the Spirit, i.e. the involution-differentiation, which occurred over many aeons, ages, and epochs (and is recounted in Genesis). Likewise, the unknown periods between death and rebirth have been flattened out into non-existence. Again, there was a purpose behind these developments - early dogma was in some ways intended to blot out consciousness of reincarnation in the early Church, so people would place emphasis on cultivating necessary virtues within a single lifetime. As you know, such cultivation is necessary for the pursuit of higher cognition in our own time, which then brings us back to living knowledge of the spiritual pole.

But if we stop with the 'infant's milk', the mere preparatory stages, then it's all for naught. That's at the heart of all flawed modern worldviews, secular or religious - they confuse incomplete conceptual understanding for complete truth, partial spatiotemporal angles on phenomena for the most comprehensive image one can attain. In other words, idolatry. What makes this happen so often? It's the 3rd-person 'omniscient' perspective. The modern Christian fundamentalist, like the materialist, analytic idealism, mysticist, etc., must actually imagine he has a Godlike perspective on the entire Cosmos to then conceive a religious ontology with dogma which claims to be absolutely "true" for all places and times. Isn't such a move really the most 'heretical' of all? So we don't need to dismiss any 'central teachings' of Christianity or of any other modern worldview, only put them in their proper evolutionary context, which necessarily involves understanding them as the revelations of living ideational beings - the Gods - in whose consciousness we are nested, from whom we have descended and to whom we are reascending in humility, devotion, and living knowledge.
Ashvin,

Thanks for that response.

I certainly resonate with what you have said here. But there is still a part of me which struggles with the fact that the best of the biblical scholars who employ the grammatical-historial methods of biblical interpretation deliver to us an interpretation of the texts which is quite different to what you outline here and elsewhere. They try to employ all that scholarship have given us to discern the meaning intended by the original authors. Of course these scholars are not always in agreement with one another. But their interpretations are "easier" to grasp and seem more natural and less strained than those of a more esoteric perspective.

What do you understand of the state of the biblical authors as they penned their words? Did they have an esoteric perspective? Or were they unknowing agents of esoteric truth?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Anthony66 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:01 pm Ashvin,

I certainly resonate with what you have said here. But there is still a part of me which struggles with the fact that the best of the biblical scholars who employ the grammatical-historial methods of biblical interpretation deliver to us an interpretation of the texts which is quite different to what you outline here and elsewhere. They try to employ all that scholarship have given us to discern the meaning intended by the original authors. Of course these scholars are not always in agreement with one another. But their interpretations are "easier" to grasp and seem more natural and less strained than those of a more esoteric perspective.

What do you understand of the state of the biblical authors as they penned their words? Did they have an esoteric perspective? Or were they unknowing agents of esoteric truth?
Anthony,

I wrote a response in the editor, but it got erased when I tried to post it because I wasn't logged in. I will rewrite it this evening.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Anthony66 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:01 pm
Anthony66 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:40 pm
I've been following all the conversations for the last little while without commenting, but this sub-quote offers me the opportunity to ask a question I've been grappling with in regards to you and Cleric.

If I can be a little provocative, you view the Christian revelation through a very interesting lens and frame the various doctrines/teachings/scripture in a new light which traditional Christianity would count you worthy of the stake. Here you reference "Gods". Christianity/Judaism's gift to the world is a fierce monotheism (even though there are scriptural references which would seem to support many gods). Even if you like me, balk at the exoteric forms of Christianity, does not one have to take some heed of this most central of teachings that there is only one God?

BTW, Cleric gave a great response relating to this matter at viewtopic.php?p=17003#p17003
Anthony,

Good to hear from you!

Regarding exoteric Christianity, it becomes pretty simple when we understand how exoteric history/culture has proceeded. It doesn't matter whether we are talking about philosophy, religion, science, etc., as they all share the same common attributes of intellectual consciousness which has flattened out the depth structure of the Cosmos and stripped it of most living significance. Just take the multiplicity of Christian denominations and their various scriptural doctrines about baptism, church history, faith and works, the canon of scripture, the apocalypse, rapture, etc. What practical difference does it make if one holds to one view vs. another? Very little. These things used to carry much more living significance in the early Church and Middle Ages, but now they are like switches of dogma that one can turn 'on' or 'off' with little influence on how one relates to the living God, goes about life on Earth, or orients towards the threshold of death and beyond. That is not to say there is no importance of these streams developing in human religious history, but we gain much more insight into them by focusing on that evolutionary development rather than their specific dogmatic content.

It's interesting because Steiner actually remarks on how most Christians at his time were already relating to and worshipping their own personal angel as "God", rather than the supreme Godhead. That makes sense if the depth structure has been flattened out by the intellect. Everything revealed in scripture is conceived in terms of what is material/perceptual (past) and encompassed by the mind-container with its intellectual concepts, while what is invisible, ideational, future, i.e. the spiritual pole, is blotted out. There is no understanding of the kenosis of the Spirit, i.e. the involution-differentiation, which occurred over many aeons, ages, and epochs (and is recounted in Genesis). Likewise, the unknown periods between death and rebirth have been flattened out into non-existence. Again, there was a purpose behind these developments - early dogma was in some ways intended to blot out consciousness of reincarnation in the early Church, so people would place emphasis on cultivating necessary virtues within a single lifetime. As you know, such cultivation is necessary for the pursuit of higher cognition in our own time, which then brings us back to living knowledge of the spiritual pole.

But if we stop with the 'infant's milk', the mere preparatory stages, then it's all for naught. That's at the heart of all flawed modern worldviews, secular or religious - they confuse incomplete conceptual understanding for complete truth, partial spatiotemporal angles on phenomena for the most comprehensive image one can attain. In other words, idolatry. What makes this happen so often? It's the 3rd-person 'omniscient' perspective. The modern Christian fundamentalist, like the materialist, analytic idealism, mysticist, etc., must actually imagine he has a Godlike perspective on the entire Cosmos to then conceive a religious ontology with dogma which claims to be absolutely "true" for all places and times. Isn't such a move really the most 'heretical' of all? So we don't need to dismiss any 'central teachings' of Christianity or of any other modern worldview, only put them in their proper evolutionary context, which necessarily involves understanding them as the revelations of living ideational beings - the Gods - in whose consciousness we are nested, from whom we have descended and to whom we are reascending in humility, devotion, and living knowledge.
Ashvin,

We should take a more holistic perspective here. Since you have considered PoF and the summaries by Max, we can ask and answer, what is the difference between the exoteric text of scripture and the tissues, organs, cells, atoms, etc. perceived (or inferred) by exoteric secular science? There is essentially no difference. They are the outer forms concealing a depth structure of inner meaning. The modern critical Biblical scholars with their interpretations of these outer textual forms are no different than the secular scientists with their materialistic interpretations of scientific observations of natural forms within the human organism. They approach the outer forms of scripture and the natural world in that shallow way for the exact same reason. They blot out the ideational intelligences which work imminently behind the outer forms of nature and culture (which has been a natural consequence of spiritual evolution towards freedom). The intelligences which sculpted-painted-composed the forms of Nature are none other than the ones who inspired the forms of all ancient religious texts. 

"Esoteric" refers to nothing other than the invisible, ideational, conceptual, spiritual pole of reality, in polar opposition to the visible/perceptual pole, i.e. the "exoteric". We should really appreciate how the necessity of esoteric history, philosophy, art, religion, and science can be discerned by nothing other than unprejudiced PoF thinking. It doesn't require any background in Western initiatic tradition, but rather the latter is what we come back to once we have reasoned out the logical necessity of the esoteric pole for ourselves. Of course we shouldn't hold it as simply an abstract intellectual theory removed from our own inner activity and experience. When we oscillate from submerging into perceptions back into contemplating their meaning (the hysteresis), we reverse from the exoteric to esoteric pole. Every time we go to sleep, we begin experiencing the esoteric pole of reality. Likewise, every period between death and rebirth takes place within the esoteric pole. Every 'dark' period of bygone ages, i.e. pre-history, or even the 'dark ages' of recent history, is the same deal. 

So we are speaking of the very structure of reality itself and cultural developments are not immune to this rhythmic oscillation. In fact, they allow us to perceive it quite clearly at a more holistic level. We can discern how every highly spiritual (esoteric) era of human thinking has been followed by a more materialistic one (exoteric) and vice versa (and our own materialistic age is no exception). Without a doubt, the esoteric dimension of religious teachings have started emerging again and will continue to do so, and perhaps even 100-200 years from now people will look at modern religious scholarship and think, "how could we have ever been so naïve and prosaic in our understanding of the text?" This is how it always happens and we can deepen our self-conscious understanding a great deal, thereby resolving many of our confusions born of myopic perspective, simply by anticipating the oscillation, within ourselves and within nature-culture at large.  That self-conscious anticipation is the 'Christ impulse' which also spirals the hysteresis together into tighter unity.

To address your question more specifically, it depends on what Biblical authors we are speaking of. We should remember there is an evolutionary progression of consciousness which weaves its way throughout all ancient civilizations and their cultures. The Biblical revelation really begins at the very dawn of individuated self-consciousness and the progression of the OT tradition illustrates the transition of consciousness taking place in much detail. That being said, all the founders of ancient religions and those inspired to reveal their inner truths were initiated into the mysteries. Therefore, they knew very well that there were living intelligences weaving throughout nature and culture and fulfilling their purposes through them. In the period of the OT, these were still the pre-Christian mysteries and were much more oriented towards the life of Willing, i.e. the 'Law and the Prophets', the outer revelation of the Gods, rather than Feeling or Thinking, the inner revelation. The OT period could be called the dispensation of God the Father. If we are speaking of Christian scripture and theology, then we are dealing with those initiated into the Christ mystery in the first few centuries AD into the middle ages - the dispensation of God the Son.

There is much more emphasis here on the life of Feeling and, less so, but still in pretty clear resolution, on the life of Thinking. Actually, the Gospels can be understood as emphasizing different aspects - Mark (willing), Luke (feeling), John (thinking), and Matthew (the human individual as an integrated whole). Saint Paul has an especially penetrating understanding of all three. We can see in the letter to the Hebrews, for ex., a logical thinking element which simply is not present in earlier writings. He was the forerunner of the modern initiation into higher Imaginative cognition which we are participating in now - the dispensation of the Holy Spirit. So, yes, all of them were well aware of the esoteric pole underlying the outer religious forms which were dispensed to the masses. I must re-emphasize that the latter forms had an extremely important role to play in our spiritual evolution, just as modern materialistic thinking, or intellectual concepts and outer perceptions in general. We must only take care not to idolize any of them on the ascending path, which is the strongest and most persistent of temptations. 
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:15 pm
Anthony66 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:01 pm

Anthony,

Good to hear from you!

Ashvin,

We should take a more holistic perspective here. Since you have considered PoF and the summaries by Max, we can ask and answer, what is the difference between the exoteric text of scripture and the tissues, organs, cells, atoms, etc. perceived (or inferred) by exoteric secular science? There is essentially no difference. They are the outer forms concealing a depth structure of inner meaning. The modern critical Biblical scholars with their interpretations of these outer textual forms are no different than the secular scientists with their materialistic interpretations of scientific observations of natural forms within the human organism. They approach the outer forms of scripture and the natural world in that shallow way for the exact same reason. They blot out the ideational intelligences which work imminently behind the outer forms of nature and culture (which has been a natural consequence of spiritual evolution towards freedom). The intelligences which sculpted-painted-composed the forms of Nature are none other than the ones who inspired the forms of all ancient religious texts. 

"Esoteric" refers to nothing other than the invisible, ideational, conceptual, spiritual pole of reality, in polar opposition to the visible/perceptual pole, i.e. the "exoteric". We should really appreciate how the necessity of esoteric history, philosophy, art, religion, and science can be discerned by nothing other than unprejudiced PoF thinking. It doesn't require any background in Western initiatic tradition, but rather the latter is what we come back to once we have reasoned out the logical necessity of the esoteric pole for ourselves. Of course we shouldn't hold it as simply an abstract intellectual theory removed from our own inner activity and experience. When we oscillate from submerging into perceptions back into contemplating their meaning (the hysteresis), we reverse from the exoteric to esoteric pole. Every time we go to sleep, we begin experiencing the esoteric pole of reality. Likewise, every period between death and rebirth takes place within the esoteric pole. Every 'dark' period of bygone ages, i.e. pre-history, or even the 'dark ages' of recent history, is the same deal. 

So we are speaking of the very structure of reality itself and cultural developments are not immune to this rhythmic oscillation. In fact, they allow us to perceive it quite clearly at a more holistic level. We can discern how every highly spiritual (esoteric) era of human thinking has been followed by a more materialistic one (exoteric) and vice versa (and our own materialistic age is no exception). Without a doubt, the esoteric dimension of religious teachings have started emerging again and will continue to do so, and perhaps even 100-200 years from now people will look at modern religious scholarship and think, "how could we have ever been so naïve and prosaic in our understanding of the text?" This is how it always happens and we can deepen our self-conscious understanding a great deal, thereby resolving many of our confusions born of myopic perspective, simply by anticipating the oscillation, within ourselves and within nature-culture at large.  That self-conscious anticipation is the 'Christ impulse' which also spirals the hysteresis together into tighter unity.

To address your question more specifically, it depends on what Biblical authors we are speaking of. We should remember there is an evolutionary progression of consciousness which weaves its way throughout all ancient civilizations and their cultures. The Biblical revelation really begins at the very dawn of individuated self-consciousness and the progression of the OT tradition illustrates the transition of consciousness taking place in much detail. That being said, all the founders of ancient religions and those inspired to reveal their inner truths were initiated into the mysteries. Therefore, they knew very well that there were living intelligences weaving throughout nature and culture and fulfilling their purposes through them. In the period of the OT, these were still the pre-Christian mysteries and were much more oriented towards the life of Willing, i.e. the 'Law and the Prophets', the outer revelation of the Gods, rather than Feeling or Thinking, the inner revelation. The OT period could be called the dispensation of God the Father. If we are speaking of Christian scripture and theology, then we are dealing with those initiated into the Christ mystery in the first few centuries AD into the middle ages - the dispensation of God the Son.

There is much more emphasis here on the life of Feeling and, less so, but still in pretty clear resolution, on the life of Thinking. Actually, the Gospels can be understood as emphasizing different aspects - Mark (willing), Luke (feeling), John (thinking), and Matthew (the human individual as an integrated whole). Saint Paul has an especially penetrating understanding of all three. We can see in the letter to the Hebrews, for ex., a logical thinking element which simply is not present in earlier writings. He was the forerunner of the modern initiation into higher Imaginative cognition which we are participating in now - the dispensation of the Holy Spirit. So, yes, all of them were well aware of the esoteric pole underlying the outer religious forms which were dispensed to the masses. I must re-emphasize that the latter forms had an extremely important role to play in our spiritual evolution, just as modern materialistic thinking, or intellectual concepts and outer perceptions in general. We must only take care not to idolize any of them on the ascending path, which is the strongest and most persistent of temptations. 

I want to add something here. There are telling characteristics to what is exoteric and what is esoteric - the former deals with (mostly dead) natural objects or cultural forms in space or linear time, while the latter deals with living processes evolving through nested time-rhythms. Our sense-perception of outer objects is exoteric, while our inner ideational process is esoteric (thinking). Our metabolic processes are esoteric, our limb movements exoteric (willing). In-spiration is esoteric, expiration is exoteric (feeling). This is all speaking from our current first-person perspective. Exoteric anatomy speaks of the brain, the heart, the lung, etc., while esoteric science understands it as the brain-process, heart-process, lung-process, etc., and the spatial organs are simply fixed snapshots of these evolving processes. With this understanding, the naïve spatial boundaries of exoteric science are transcended and we discern the living, interweaving connections between the human organism and the natural and cosmic worlds. There are not planets traveling in spatial ellipses, but nested spheres of living temporal activity which constructively or destructively interfere to in-form Earthly happenings at any given moment. There is the Moon-sphere, Sun-sphere, Mars-sphere, etc. The physical orbits are simply like averaged-out markers of the outer boundaries of this living esoteric activity. What's most profound is when esoteric science leads us right back to esoteric spirituality, except with more precise scientific and higher cognition. When we really understand our inner perceptions/concepts to also be exoteric with their own esoteric dimension of soul and spirit processes, then we deepen towards higher cognition.
Anthony66

Post by Anthony66 »

That was a very helpful response Ashvin.
AshvinP wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:15 pm They blot out the ideational intelligences which work imminently behind the outer forms of nature and culture (which has been a natural consequence of spiritual evolution towards freedom). The intelligences which sculpted-painted-composed the forms of Nature are none other than the ones who inspired the forms of all ancient religious texts. 
One can have a rose colored glasses' view of the ancient religious texts but they also are sprinkled with what I call the "horror passages". Take for example Numbers 31:17-18:
Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him keep alive for yourselves.
This surely is not the product of higher intelligences, rather from those below. One needs to be a discerning reader of the ancient texts which is probably part of what you are saying.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Anthony66 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:04 pm That was a very helpful response Ashvin.
AshvinP wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:15 pm They blot out the ideational intelligences which work imminently behind the outer forms of nature and culture (which has been a natural consequence of spiritual evolution towards freedom). The intelligences which sculpted-painted-composed the forms of Nature are none other than the ones who inspired the forms of all ancient religious texts. 
One can have a rose colored glasses' view of the ancient religious texts but they also are sprinkled with what I call the "horror passages". Take for example Numbers 31:17-18:
Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him keep alive for yourselves.
This surely is not the product of higher intelligences, rather from those below. One needs to be a discerning reader of the ancient texts which is probably part of what you are saying.
Anthony,

I must re-emphasize the holistic nature of esoteric understanding. We need to avoid the exoteric, intellectual dissective approach to all phenomena of nature and culture. That approach served its purpose but should now be put in service to higher ideals. Plucking a verse out of scripture and trying to deduce the deepest truths about the 'higher intelligences' behind their inspiration is like the scientist who takes a germ-cell, puts it on a petri dish under his microscope, and expects to learn the deepest secrets of living organisms simply by observing its outer form and applying his pre-formatted concepts to what he observes.

The esoteric understanding requires us to approach what is completely unfamiliar and unsuspected to our normal waking intellect. If we feel that we can pluck out a verse and, only with our modern flattened, prosaic concepts, transport our consciousness into that of inspired writers 3,000 years ago, with a deep understanding of the spiritual landscape at that time, then we are surely trapped within the modern mind-container perspective. The worst outcome of this is that, when we assume to have already encompassed the many layers of deeper meaning within the text with our exoteric concepts, we rest comfortable and lose all motivation to actually seek out that deeper meaning. We pronounce judgments on the higher worlds without even consciously experiencing their lowest reaches.

All that I wrote above was simply dim conceptual associations which indicate our reasoning can discern an archetypal, scientfic, logical structure underlying what we otherwise know as aesthetic or moral truths, such as those of art, mythology, religion. I could have gone on with infinitely more such associations but, at a certain point, we max out our intellectual capacity and cannot deepen our understanding any further, only hinder it with excessive conceptual weight. The point is that we need to approach the esoteric dimension of nature, culture, and our own individual lives through inner activity and experience, not outer concepts. We cannot establish in concepts what this living experience will be beforehand. The metamorphic inversion from exoteric to esoteric perspective is like the glove turned inside-out, except the very structure of the glove also metamorphoses. What appears convex from the outside is seen to be concave from the inside.

In fact, the higher worlds embedded within our collective subconscious will often appear terrifying, cruel, oppressive, unjust, immoral, etc. from the outside looking in. They will often appear as death itself. We see in one of the most sublime inspired texts, the Bhagavad Gita (Divine Song), how the Krishna being is synonymous with death. He urges Arujuna not to shrink from going to war against his own brothers. From the inside looking out, the esoteric perspective, death is actually the means by which we cast off the coarse physical and advance in ideal evolution so that we may be reborn on higher, more spiritualized planes of existence. Again, it's not about taking any of these familiar concepts and applying them verse by verse to find "justifications" for them, but realizing we are dealing with a higher Wisdom here which can only be approached with humility, devotion, and creative thinking born of the Spirit, which always seeks the holstic harmony of the outer forms. How things first appear on the surface will often be quite the opposite of what they are in light of their deeper esoteric dimension.

Krishna wrote:Thou grievest where no grief should be! thou speak'st
Words lacking wisdom! for the wise in heart
Mourn not for those that live, nor those that die.
Nor I, nor thou, nor any one of these,
Ever was not, nor ever will not be,
For ever and for ever afterwards.
All, that doth live, lives always! To man's frame
As there come infancy and youth and age,
So come there raisings-up and layings-down
Of other and of other life-abodes,
Which the wise know, and fear not. This that irks--
Thy sense-life, thrilling to the elements--
Bringing thee heat and cold, sorrows and joys,
'Tis brief and mutable! Bear with it, Prince!
As the wise bear. The soul which is not moved,
The soul that with a strong and constant calm
Takes sorrow and takes joy indifferently,
Lives in the life undying! That which is
Can never cease to be; that which is not
Will not exist. To see this truth of both
Is theirs who part essence from accident,
Substance from shadow. Indestructible,
Learn thou! the Life is, spreading life through all;
It cannot anywhere, by any means,
Be anywise diminished, stayed, or changed.
But for these fleeting frames which it informs
With spirit deathless, endless, infinite,
They perish. Let them perish, Prince! and fight!
He who shall say, "Lo! I have slain a man!"
He who shall think, "Lo! I am slain!" those both
Know naught! Life cannot slay. Life is not slain!
Never the spirit was born; the spirit shall cease to be never;
Never was time it was not; End and Beginning are dreams!
Birthless and deathless and changeless remaineth the spirit for ever;
Death hath not touched it at all, dead though the house of it seems!
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:05 pm
Federica wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:56 am our last comments here have prompted me to rethink the whole idea one more time and this is how I see it at this point. There seems to be a few different things mixed up here. One is the Ideas that separate people nationwise, or groupwise through feelings. This feeling aspect is the piece I was missing, that I gathered from the lecture. The ideational beings create national currents of feeling (not of willing or thinking, as I understand it) and acknowledging these does not prevent us from considering ourselves a ‘citizen of the world’ at the same time, by virtue of sharing equivalent thinking potential. A very different thing happens when one lets that group feeling ‘dominate in the worst possible way’. When ‘people feel themselves as only belonging to a certain group, all kinds of conflicts arise’. And that's the problem: when some people - and I would argue, we are not those people - find themselves going all the way down that road, to the point of creating great suffering or committing crimes. They behave under the unconscious command of a group current of feeling, distorted and taken to the extreme. They don’t take the way of freedom, they succumb to the way of karma.

I think first we should be clear on what it means to really know ourselves from within. At first or second glance, it will indeed seem like most of us don't "feel ourselves as only belonging to a certain group". We will surely say, "we are living organisms and human beings first and foremost, and that's how I identify myself and everyone else". But, as we know, these superficial glances by the rational intellect cannot be mistaken for deep knowledge of what we do or don't actually identify with. Instead of going into PoF-style theory of knowledge or something similar, though, let's try a different approach.

Imagine a situation in which a parent or close relative is in imminent peril and the only way to stop their death is to sacrifice the life of another person you don't know. We should really try to inhabit the situation as if it is occurring. If the chances are good that we might make this sacrifice to save our loved one, can we say that we are identifying with our family or blood relatives? It is only in extreme situations such as these where we can get a glimpse of such identifications, and even those thought-experiments aren't really enough. We are talking about layers of our Being which were laid down over many thousands of years. Our species, our gender, our close blood relations, our race, our temperaments, etc. 

The overall point is that we shouldn't be so quick to assume our current feeling of what we identify with is actually known. In fact there are great reasons to conclude they are hardly known at all. In the midst of an actual bloody war, will we consider a person of different nationality as equal value to our brother or sister-in-arms? We can't be so sure of these things. Modern civilized society gives us the luxury to rarely if ever be put in a situation where we would have our spirit tested to this extent, and therefore have the opportunity for these deeper layers to be revealed to us. That is why we must be endure the inner tests of the spiritual path - initiation - for them to gradually emerge into consciousness. Unlike a bloody war, on this path we can confront these layers dispassionately, with sober judgment, and therefore integrate them into our consciousness.

At a more theoretical level, whenever we are willing, feeling, thinking based on sensory perceptions, including inner concepts, we are living in the past and therefore 'going down the Karma way'. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with this - Karma is not some external punishment by higher beings for our wrongdoing, but the natural result of our evolutionary progression and the means through which the possibility of spiritual freedom also emerges. There can only be freedom if there are ingrained channels of Being which resist our spiritual activity, thereby giving us the opportunity to modify those channels through increasing self-consciousness. If no such resistance was offered, we would simply live as spiritual infants flowing along with the undifferentiated meaning of spiritual impulses.

We can also think about it this way - if we already knew from within what we identify with, we could choose not to identify with it, and then we would be spiritually free. Then further evolution towards our higher Self wouldn't be necessary. This higher Self is the Karma of humanity as a whole. To identify with the higher Self is to accept creative responsibility for all human perspectives, including the radical ones which we currently distance ourselves from. Of course, merely saying or feeling or conceiving we have "accepted creative responsibility" is not to be confused with actually doing so. The latter means we have encompassed all such perspectives inwardly with our expanding Ego-consciousness. 

The only time we are really living in the future, and therefore acting free of Karma, is when we are doing thinking meditations which engage the higher faculties such as the Imagination. 

Witzenmann, 'What is Meditation?' wrote:It [i.e. this reality meditation] grants the certainty that there is an absolute meaning, for it progressively realizes this meaning. This signifies that the nature of meditation is not something to attain but to achieve – an achievement by which man accomplishes himself. Modern meditation does not desire an entrance into a spiritual world antecedent to it, but rather freely gives itself the responsibility for the origin of a spiritual world, which can only arise out of man accomplishing himself in meditation as a world first. Modern meditation does not object to a desire for self-perfection for reasons that renunciation might expect an all the more richer welcome – but from the insight that neither desire nor renunciation can attain a real meditative content, since only the meditation itself can give this to the latter. This is not the loan that awaits it, but the gift that it offers to the world. Modern meditation is not the path into a pre-meditative world, but the formation of a new metamorphosis of the world. The nature of modern meditative experience is neither one of creaturely emerging from the creative powers of the world nor the dissolution therein, but the transformed emergence of creative spirituality from human self-formation. Meditation is the moral intuition of the human being, the moral imagination of the transmutation of the world process in man and the moral technique of freedom. Herein lies the difference to all previous forms of meditative life. 

So we can really sense how humanity is at the very daybreak of engaging in free spiritual activity, that inner activity which identifies more and more with the core individuality which is common to humanity as such. Now one can ask, "ok but why does this matter... isn't it still worthwhile for me to differentiate degrees of identification between myself and others?" Yes, perhaps, but again the inner orientation is what is most important. Again, it's not about what we can objectively prove about ourselves or others. The inversion horizon rests on this orientation that we are not yet knowledgeable, moral, free beings. It rests on us always first locating the beam within our own eyes before criticizing the speck in our brother's eye. This comes back to the question of Christian theological doctrines and how to understand them.

Federica wrote:I await to get a sense of how this is exactly expressed in Steiner. The voice emerging from his pages - for the little I have read until now - has always sounded to me exactly right and I never felt the sense of slight constriction that I am finding now, reading about total depravity, learned helplessness, and imitatio Christi. Doctrine is another word that excites some degrees of rebellion I should say. Doctrine sounds to me like the fine print of dogma.

Now I realize that this whole uncomfortable impression and feeling could come entirely from my side, without being implied in and conveyed by your words. I am simply saying, my conclusion is, that I am trying to suspend judgment, and putting this thing on a shelf in plain view, so I can better examine it further.

This being said, I understand and agree that from a spiritual perspective we are not advanced at all, and that egoism can always creep in, and that we should pay attention to these oscillations within ourselves. And you are right here, I take your point:

When a thought occurs such as, "I am not now and could never be a radical to this degree", we should sense the inner orientation there. It's not about figuring out objectively what statistical chance there is we will end up doing terrible things, but simply the orientation of our spirit. We can try to sense how little we know of ourselves and how much there is yet to be revealed from within during our stay on Earth.

Again, I only doubt that theological doctrine is the way to reach there. I definitely don’t sense that there is ‘anything of immense importance for higher development lying beneath it’. I should also say, reading the exercise that Steiner suggests in this connection, and although I think the exercise should not be put in everyone's hands and could stir up underlying mental health weaknesses, I am fine with it. Again, here I find a different language, a different spirit. Not similar to the one I gather from theological doctrine, total depravity and the like.

Indeed, Steiner has a much more living way of conveying these things. I would always encourage you to seek out his commentaries on Christian scripture and theology. But we should be clear he isn't rejecting the essence of any such doctrines, only helping us put them back into their living evolutionary context, which then gives them much deeper and more immanent significance for our lives and journeys.

So we should treat these doctrines as we do any outer perception - they are forms which don't immediately disclose their full depth of meaning. It is precisely the task of humanity in this age to begin imparting that depth of meaning back to the outer appearances, via spiritual science, and most of all to such doctrines as Imitatio Christi or 'original sin'. We can understand the latter as a polarity - this inheritance of Karma entered human evolution quite apart from our free inner activity, before there was even any Ego-consciousness which allowed for identification as an individuality. As we know, all poles only appear in the context of an opposite pole, a counter-force. The latter is free Grace. We didn't freely enter into the world of sin and Karma, but we are freely shown a path out of it and freely given the inner tools to follow that path. We don't need to earn that Grace - it is naturally given to us as the counter-pole to original sin. Christ incarnate is the archetype here - he was most innocent of sin amongst all humans, yet suffered our same fate on the Cross and was resurrected to a new life within the higher worlds. He is both the example to follow and the means by which to follow it.

"Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious."

It is natural to struggle with these doctrines, and as mentioned I do as well, but we should realize that is precisely because we have not yet cultivated the free inner activity to restore their higher meaning. Like all outer forms and teachings, they are oppressed under the weight of dry intellectualism. It is no different than the teachings of modern philosophy, like "MAL" or "dissociative boundaries" etc. These are simply outer husks of meaning, but all such concepts point to something of real meaningful significance. Ironically, when we really reject intellectual reductionism with our inner activity, we eventually come back to such things as original sin, total depravity, faith, grace, etc. on a higher plane. Then they carry very much the opposite significance of what they do in modern theology - they don't point to our helplessness, worthlessness, total enslavement to guilty conscience, etc., but to the evolutionary progression which results in moral imagination, inspiration, intuition and spiritual freedom - Ideas which cannot be grasped by the intellect alone - but only IF we resist the temptation to identify our current state of being as one that is already free. 

Hi Ashvin,

Getting back to the threads now, after a few days when I couldn’t spend any time either on the forum or on anything related, I feel scarily estranged from the discussion. I remember I was completely involved in it, but sadly, I can’t find that connection right now. I can only find the motivation to search for it again. All in all, it's maybe not that bad, because what I’ve lost in terms of involvement I seem to have gained in equanimity. I can see this by reading my last posts, I find them somewhat exaggerated now. Wisdom must be with those who can be fully involved and fully balanced at the same time!

Anyway, the help of the various perspectives you have offered here on identification and Karma remains to be aknowledged. The perspectives were useful to gain an overall understanding, or sense, that identifications are unconscious, and stating “we are not those people'' is limited. Maybe this statement is nothing but a subtler way to recreate that same ‘us versus them’ separation that I was criticizing in the radical identifications.
It’s possible that there’s a way to go beyond such a relative viewpoint through a deep understanding of doctrines that at the moment I don’t realize. I certainly don't want to exclude that. More than the suggested thought experiments - the first one I found impossible to experiment with, and about the second, I can confidently and carefully say that I couldn’t care less about nationality - it’s the compendium of perspectives that I found helpful to draw the contours of this unknown space. I don’t know the space in itself, but its shape seems consistent, or at least could be consistent, with itself and with everything else. That's what I can say at this point.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Anthony66

Post by Anthony66 »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:00 pm
Anthony66 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:04 pm That was a very helpful response Ashvin.
Anthony,

I must re-emphasize the holistic nature of esoteric understanding. We need to avoid the exoteric, intellectual dissective approach to all phenomena of nature and culture. That approach served its purpose but should now be put in service to higher ideals. Plucking a verse out of scripture and trying to deduce the deepest truths about the 'higher intelligences' behind their inspiration is like the scientist who takes a germ-cell, puts it on a petri dish under his microscope, and expects to learn the deepest secrets of living organisms simply by observing its outer form and applying his pre-formatted concepts to what he observes.

The esoteric understanding requires us to approach what is completely unfamiliar and unsuspected to our normal waking intellect. If we feel that we can pluck out a verse and, only with our modern flattened, prosaic concepts, transport our consciousness into that of inspired writers 3,000 years ago, with a deep understanding of the spiritual landscape at that time, then we are surely trapped within the modern mind-container perspective. The worst outcome of this is that, when we assume to have already encompassed the many layers of deeper meaning within the text with our exoteric concepts, we rest comfortable and lose all motivation to actually seek out that deeper meaning. We pronounce judgments on the higher worlds without even consciously experiencing their lowest reaches.

All that I wrote above was simply dim conceptual associations which indicate our reasoning can discern an archetypal, scientfic, logical structure underlying what we otherwise know as aesthetic or moral truths, such as those of art, mythology, religion. I could have gone on with infinitely more such associations but, at a certain point, we max out our intellectual capacity and cannot deepen our understanding any further, only hinder it with excessive conceptual weight. The point is that we need to approach the esoteric dimension of nature, culture, and our own individual lives through inner activity and experience, not outer concepts. We cannot establish in concepts what this living experience will be beforehand. The metamorphic inversion from exoteric to esoteric perspective is like the glove turned inside-out, except the very structure of the glove also metamorphoses. What appears convex from the outside is seen to be concave from the inside.

In fact, the higher worlds embedded within our collective subconscious will often appear terrifying, cruel, oppressive, unjust, immoral, etc. from the outside looking in. They will often appear as death itself. We see in one of the most sublime inspired texts, the Bhagavad Gita (Divine Song), how the Krishna being is synonymous with death. He urges Arujuna not to shrink from going to war against his own brothers. From the inside looking out, the esoteric perspective, death is actually the means by which we cast off the coarse physical and advance in ideal evolution so that we may be reborn on higher, more spiritualized planes of existence. Again, it's not about taking any of these familiar concepts and applying them verse by verse to find "justifications" for them, but realizing we are dealing with a higher Wisdom here which can only be approached with humility, devotion, and creative thinking born of the Spirit, which always seeks the holstic harmony of the outer forms. How things first appear on the surface will often be quite the opposite of what they are in light of their deeper esoteric dimension.

Krishna wrote:Thou grievest where no grief should be! thou speak'st
Words lacking wisdom! for the wise in heart
Mourn not for those that live, nor those that die.
Nor I, nor thou, nor any one of these,
Ever was not, nor ever will not be,
For ever and for ever afterwards.
All, that doth live, lives always! To man's frame
As there come infancy and youth and age,
So come there raisings-up and layings-down
Of other and of other life-abodes,
Which the wise know, and fear not. This that irks--
Thy sense-life, thrilling to the elements--
Bringing thee heat and cold, sorrows and joys,
'Tis brief and mutable! Bear with it, Prince!
As the wise bear. The soul which is not moved,
The soul that with a strong and constant calm
Takes sorrow and takes joy indifferently,
Lives in the life undying! That which is
Can never cease to be; that which is not
Will not exist. To see this truth of both
Is theirs who part essence from accident,
Substance from shadow. Indestructible,
Learn thou! the Life is, spreading life through all;
It cannot anywhere, by any means,
Be anywise diminished, stayed, or changed.
But for these fleeting frames which it informs
With spirit deathless, endless, infinite,
They perish. Let them perish, Prince! and fight!
He who shall say, "Lo! I have slain a man!"
He who shall think, "Lo! I am slain!" those both
Know naught! Life cannot slay. Life is not slain!
Never the spirit was born; the spirit shall cease to be never;
Never was time it was not; End and Beginning are dreams!
Birthless and deathless and changeless remaineth the spirit for ever;
Death hath not touched it at all, dead though the house of it seems!
Ashvin,

You might be interested in the latest Symbolic World podcast with Jonathon Pageau where the topic of Christian esotericism is discussed (not terribly positively I should add). Steiner is mentioned. The video is also here: