The Alchemical Marriage of Thinking and Will

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Federica

Re: The Alchemical Marriage of Thinking and Will

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:22 pm I am also really liking the new highlighting font :)
Well, it comes from our previous discussion on the liminal spaces of perception :)
AshvinP wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:22 pm This also relates to the 'Nirvana' discussion on the other thread. I think it's important to highlight how all these lofty modes of Being can refer to both high ideals to reach and also the means by which we reach them.
Yes, thanks for the hint! As we reach ideals through living, first person processes of transformation, the the what is the how, or the way is the 'destination'. Although I am not yet fully familiar with this realization.
AshvinP wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:22 pm And, since we are dealing with the superimposed vertical depth gradient of Time-Consciousness, our 'work against Nature', i.e. spiritual activity, through this rhythmic coagula-solve process, gradually becomes the sphere of Nature for lower waves of development. In a certain sense, it already is, but will become much more so in times to come. We are in very Truth living within the nested spiritual activity of our higher Self.
If I'm getting it right another way to say it is, TC-Time is the freedom - as Klocek characterizes it, and I am struck by this angle - that allows for the ideals to reach to be one with the means by which we reach them, and this constant, free tranformation of means into reached ideals, flows down the gradient of development.
Last edited by Federica on Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Stranger wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:54 pm
Federica wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 pm Does it not sound like there's a narrator looking at things from the vantage point?
It does sound and seem like there is a narrator until it is discovered that the narrator has always been the Self itself. In other words, it is the Self seeking itself through all evolutionary layers, first confusing itself with a creature and a narrator separate from the rest of the world, but after evolving higher and going deeper, at some point discovering that it is the very Self directly knowing It-Self from the vantage point of the Self.
It seems to me that if this is how things stand, then either you have been there, personally made that discovery, or the discovery that the narrator has always been the Self itself has to be a narration within the narration?

Or maybe a simpler way to ask the question would be: are you presenting your personal experience or a description of a tradition / a given interpretation of it?
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Federica wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:23 pm It seems to me that if this is how things stand, then either you have been there, personally made that discovery, or the discovery that the narrator has always been the Self itself has to be a narration within the narration?

Or maybe a simpler way to ask the question would be: are you presenting your personal experience or a description of a tradition / a given interpretation of it?
Federica, I avoid talking about personal experiences publicly and even privately (unless I really trust a person)
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
Federica

Post by Federica »

Stranger wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:03 pm Federica, I avoid talking about personal experiences publicly and even privately (unless I really trust a person)
Right. So if we can exclude that you were expressing a personal experience, then what are you exactly describing by this story:
Stranger wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:00 pm at each point of our own centripetal evolution we have the ability to know and connect directly and introspectively to our own Self "bypassing" any structures seemingly external to us, and even any existing mind structures of our internal origin. However, the degree of this direct knowledge unfolds to us in layers and stages along the path of the spiritual evolution where at each stage we uncover deeper and deeper layers of it until we discover that there is actually no difference between the Divine Self of All and the very core of our own Self. At this point we also discover that such "bypassing of structures" was only seeming, because there are actually no structures "external" to the Self or separate from the Self.
Your reading of the author's viewpoint, or a process that you consider accurate and truthful, something else...
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Federica wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:30 pm So if we can exclude that you were expressing a personal experience, then what are you exactly describing by this story:
Well, you can not exclude that by default because I didn't confirm that I was not expressing my personal experience, but neither I confirmed that I was.

But yeah, I guess you can assume that I was not, because there is no way this shmuk lunatic Stranger could have a direct knowledge-experience of the Divine Self :D .
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Stranger wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:00 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:19 pm Instead of debating the teachings of DtA, let's see if what Louth wrote can align with the holistic Ideas we discern through our own logical reasoning. If the higher hierarchies are not individual beings but rather represent stages of our own centripetal evolution back to the Godhead, as all esotericists agree, then how could we 'bypass' stages of our own evolution? That is like a child bypassing the years of 14-35 because he 'realized' his direct connection to his adult Self. Or, conversely, like a child coming into existence when bypassing his father and mother who must give birth to him. We know such things don't stand up to reason.
Rephrased in a different way, at each point of our own centripetal evolution we have the ability to know and connect directly and introspectively to our own Self "bypassing" any structures seemingly external to us, and even any existing mind structures of our internal origin. However, the degree of this direct knowledge unfolds to us in layers and stages along the path of the spiritual evolution where at each stage we uncover deeper and deeper layers of it until we discover that there is actually no difference between the Divine Self of All and the very core of our own Self. At this point we also discover that such "bypassing of structures" was only seeming, because there are actually no structures "external" to the Self or separate from the Self.

Eugene,

I wonder if you hold open the possibility that your 'bypassing' view could change if you learned the precise details by which humanity has involuted into the physical-perceptual plane we experience now. Are you familiar with the 'law of seven' in esoteric science? We could discuss the details of it endlessly, but for our purposes, I just want to briefly sketch out how all evolutionary cycles unfold through this archetypal sevenfold rhythm.

Is seven the perfect number? Now the whole tendency of modern thought is to recur to the archaic idea of a homogeneous neous basis for apparently widely different things; heterogeneity developed from homogeneity, as in the search for "protoplasm" in biology, "protyle"9 (the name given by Mr. Crookes to the hypothetical homogeneous substance of which the atom is composed) posed) in chemistry, and the force of which heat, electricity, light and magnetism are the differentiations. The direction which modern science is taking is toward a generalization founded on the perception of a harmony of numbers throughout out nature. So far back as the year 1844, an article appeared in the Medical Review in which the writer asserts the principle of a "generalization which shall express the fundamental laws of all (sciences) by one simple numerical ratio," and goes on to say that "from these (Whewell's Philosophy of the Inductive Sciences and Mr. Hay's researches into the laws of harmonious coloring and form) it would appear that the number seven is distinguished in the laws regulating the harmonious perception of forms, colors and sounds, and probably of taste also if we could analyze our sensations of this kind with mathematical accuracy."10

Again, there is a periodical septenary return of cycles in the rise and fall of diseases, and in the birth, growth, maturity, decay and death of insects, reptiles, fishes, birds, mammals and man himself. Dr. Laycock (Lancet, 1842-43), writing on the periodicity ity of vita phenomena records "a most remarkable illustration and confirmation of the law in insects," and, having given a number of illustrations from natural history, he adds, "The facts I have briefly glanced at are general facts and cannot happen day after day in so many millions of animals of every kind, from the larva or ovum of a minute insect up to man, at definite periods, from a mere chance or coincidence.... I think it is impossible to come to any less general conclusion than this: that, in animals, mals, changes occur in every three-and-a-half, seven, fourteen, twenty-one or twenty-eight days, or at some definite number of weeks." In regard to fevers, the same Dr. Laycock states that "whatever type the fever may exhibit, there will be a paroxysm on the seventh day...the fourteenth will be remarkable as a day of amendment," either cure or death taking place. "If the fourth (paroxysm) be severe, and the fifth less so, the disease will end at the seventh paroxysm, and. .change for the better will be seen on the fourteenth day, namely about three or four o'clock a.m., when the system is most languid." "This law," he says elsewhere, where, "binds all periodic vital phenomena together, and links the periods observed in the lowest annulose animals with those of man himself, the highest of the vertebrata."

Now if the mysterious Septenary Cycle be a law in nature, if it is found controlling the evolution and involution (or death) in the realms of entomology, ichthyology and ornithology, as in the kingdom of the animal, mammalia and man, why cannot it be present and active in the cosmos in general, and why should not an occultist be able to trace the same law in the life of the solar system, the planet and the races of men which inhabit it? The number seven is the factor element in occult science and in every ancient religion, because it is the factor element in nature.

-C. G. Harrison; Christopher Bamford. The Transcendental Universe

Upon further investigation, we can discern that what we are dealing with is a 3-year period of relatively instinctive development (involution) reflected across a Central period - a centrifugal to centripetal vortex - into another 3-year period of relatively conscious development (evolution). So the evolutionary process is a conscious re-membering of what was experienced through the involutionary process. By learning the living details of the latter, we gain real insight into those of the former. We need to always ward off the habitual linear time assumptions in order to appreciate the deeper significance of this archetypal rhythm. But, if this law pervades Nature and the microcosm is in fact an image of the Macrocosm, for which we can similary adduce much precise evidence, then it only stands to reason that our ascent to the Godhead proceeds lawfully through the rhythmic alternation of many nested sevenfold structures.

Are we going to introduce an untenable discontinuity here? We can hardly imagine what Nature would look like if there was any possibility of 'bypassing' the developmental rhythms described above. But, for some reason, our intellectual thought finds it perfectly 'natural' to allow for this bypassing possibility in spiritual evolution. What is the reason for this discontinuity if Nature and Spirit are One, i.e. two forces of the same Power? It can only be that this discontinuity does not exist, except as a conceptual reflection of our own personalized preferences. For these reasons, the rigorous and unprejudiced scientific method for inquiries into processes of soul and spirit are just as important as they are for those of natural phenomena. I am reminded here of Goethe's excellent essay.

Goethe wrote:We may look at an object in its own context and the context of other objects, while refraining from any immediate response of desire or dislike. The calm exercise of our powers of attention will quickly lead us to a rather clear concept of the object, its parts, and its relationships; the more we pursue this study, discovering further relations among things, the more we will exercise our innate gift of observation. Those who understand how to apply this knowledge to their own affairs in a practical way are rightly deemed clever. It is not hard for any well-organized person, moderate by nature or force of circumstance, to be clever, for life corrects us at every step. But if the observer is called upon to apply this keen power of judgment to exploring the hidden relationships in nature, if he is to find his own way in a world where he is seemingly alone, if he is to avoid hasty conclusions and keep a steady eye on the goal while noting every helpful or harmful circumstance along the way, if he must be his own sharpest critic where no one else can test his work with ease, if he must question himself continually even when most enthusiastic—it is easy to see how harsh these demands are and how little hope there is of seeing them fully satisfied in ourselves or others. Yet these difficulties, this hypothetical impossibility, must not deter us from doing what we can. At any rate, our best approach is to recall how able men have advanced the sciences, and to be candid about the false paths down which they have strayed, only to be followed by numerous disciples, often for centuries, until later empirical evidence could bring researchers back to the right road.
When we intentionally reproduce empirical evidence found by earlier researchers, contemporaries, or ourselves, when we re-create natural or artificial phenomena, we speak of this as an experiment.

The main value of an experiment lies in the fact that, simple or compound, it can be reproduced at any time given the requisite preparations, apparatus, and skill. After assembling the necessary materials we may perform the experiment as often as we wish. We will rightly marvel at human ingenuity when we consider even briefly the variety of arrangements and instruments invented for this purpose. In fact, we can note that such instruments are still being invented daily.

As worthwhile as each individual experiment may be, it receives its real value only when united or combined with other experiments. However, to unite or combine just two somewhat similar experiments calls for more rigor and care than even the sharpest observer usually expects of himself. Two phenomena may be related, but not nearly so closely as we think. Although one experiment seems to follow from another, an extensive series of experiments might be required to put the two into an order actually conforming to nature.

Thus we can never be too careful in our efforts to avoid drawing hasty conclusions from experiments or using them directly as proof to bear out some theory. For here at this pass, this transition from empirical evidence to judgment, cognition to application, all the inner enemies of man lie in wait: imagination, which sweeps him away on its wings before he knows his feet have left the ground; impatience; haste; self-satisfaction; rigidity; formalistic thought; prejudice; ease; frivolity; fickleness—this whole throng and its retinue. Here they lie in ambush and surprise not only the active observer but also the contemplative one who appears safe from all passion.

-Goethe, The Experiment as Mediator Between Object and Subject
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:10 am Eugene,

I wonder if you hold open the possibility that your 'bypassing' view could change if you learned the precise details by which humanity has involuted into the physical-perceptual plane we experience now. Are you familiar with the 'law of seven' in esoteric science? We could discuss the details of it endlessly, but for our purposes, I just want to briefly sketch out how all evolutionary cycles unfold through this archetypal sevenfold rhythm.
I guess we have a miscommunication problem here and the word "bypassing" seems to be inappropriate and causing confusions. May be a better way would be to say that we have an ability to "see through" the veils or "transcend" the veils of our current cognitive structures, even though the veils are still there and do not allow us to see the Reality of the Self clearly and in its fullness. Just like St. Paul said:
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1 Corinthians 13:12

We all, with unveiled faces, are looking as in a mirror at the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18
I'm not saying that such transcendence "bypasses" the periods and levels of development and allows to jump-and-skip the developmental stages, it is only that at each stage we can still see through and transcend our current condition, and it becomes our guiding light on the path, like a distant lighthouse guiding sea travelers sailing through the sea mist.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Stranger wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:42 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:10 am Eugene,

I guess we have a miscommunication problem here and the word "bypassing" seems to be inappropriate and causing confusions. May be a better way would be to say that we have an ability to "see through" the veils or "transcend" the veils of our current cognitive structures, even though the veils are still there and do not allow us to see the Reality of the Self clearly and in its fullness. Just like St. Paul said:
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1 Corinthians 13:12

We all, with unveiled faces, are looking as in a mirror at the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18
I'm not saying that such transcendence "bypasses" the periods and levels of development and allows to jump-and-skip the developmental stages, it is only that at each stage we can still see through and transcend our current condition, and it becomes our guiding light on the path, like a distant lighthouse guiding sea travelers sailing through the sea mist.

I understand what you are saying above and I certainly don't think a terminological debate is important to have here. But what I keep pointing to is that the very concept of "seeing through [or transcending] the veils" to the supreme Godhead can prevent us from actually lifting the veils through our lawful evolutionary progression. To see through or transcend means nothing less than to unite with the first-person perspective which is 'behind' the veil and therefore understand precisely how the veil comes into being. We should really appreciate how, anything less than that, means we are still within the domain of our concepts of 'seeing through the veil', no matter what inner mystical/visionary experiences they are accompanied with.

It is related in the Talmud that Rabbi Eliezer hen-Orcanaz having replied unsatisfactorily to certain questions propounded pounded to him concerning his teachings, the doctors present refused to admit his conclusions. Thereupon Rabbi Eliezer endeavored to convince them of the truth of his doctrines by causing a carob tree to rise from the ground and transplant itself a hundred cubits away; a rivulet to flow backward; and, finally, the Great Bath-Kol, or voice from heaven, to say, "What are the opinions of all the Rabbis compared with the opinion of Rabbi Eliezer?" Then arose Rabbi Joshua, and said, "It is written `the law is not in heaven, it is in your mouth and in your heart.' When, therefore, Rabbi Eliezer has proved to us that carob trees, rivulets and unknown voices afford us reasonings equal in value and weight to that reason which God has placed within us to guide our judgment, then we will admit their testimony and estimate them as Rabbi Eliezer requires."

C. G. Harrison;Christopher Bamford. The Transcendental Universe

The reasoning spirit has now incarnated in our scientific thinking and it is that which safeguards our method from goalseeking our supporting evidence.

"In computing, goal seeking is the ability to calculate backward to obtain an input that would result in a given output."

With all due respect, you did this on the other thread with a Steiner quote from a lecture you had not even started reading yet, and now with the St. Paul quotes. Do you see how one can find isolated quotes from any number of sources which seemingly point in a certain direction if the holistic context is avoided and the person doing this starts with the desired conclusion and 'calculates backwards' to the quotes? I also use a lot of quotes here and there, but they are usually lengthy and I can provide the precise reasoning for how they are relevant to the argument being made, which rarely has to do with metaphysical/ontological conclusions about the Godhead. Rather, the arguments usually relate to why we need to abandon such convenient abstract methods and start the rigorous and discplined work of spiritual scientific reasoning.

Even with that said, the verses you quoted indicate a definite evolutionary progression. In Christian esotericism, "glory" refers to a specified duration of evolution. So the verse is indicating that we are being transformed into the image of the Godhead through this gradual progression from evolutionary cycle to evolutionary cycle. We should ask ourselves, why do we feel the need to also add in this catch-all provision which gives us direct access to the Eternal right now? Why are we so dissastisfied with only penetrating the veils one at a time (when even lifting the first veil is a profoundly life-changing experience)? All of these things, when made the object of self-conscious contemplation, can become very instructive tools for discerning the constellation of soul-forces at work within us, which actually erect the nested veils.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:18 am Even with that said, the verses you quoted indicate a definite evolutionary progression. In Christian esotericism, "glory" refers to a specified duration of evolution. So the verse is indicating that we are being transformed into the image of the Godhead through this gradual progression from evolutionary cycle to evolutionary cycle. We should ask ourselves, why do we feel the need to also add in this catch-all provision which gives us direct access to the Eternal right now? Why are we so dissastisfied with only penetrating the veils one at a time (when even lifting the first veil is a profoundly life-changing experience)? All of these things, when made the object of self-conscious contemplation, can become very instructive tools for discerning the constellation of soul-forces at work within us, which actually erect the nested veils.
Surely we are penetrating the veils one at a time, there is no shortcut. And at the same time, we (or some of us at least) are seeing and transcending into the Eternal through the veils. We are seeing it not because we are dissatisfied with only penetrating the veils one at a time, but because it's just the way it is, we can't help it - by the Divine grace we hear the voice of the Godhead and see its Light "through" the veils, even "dimly as if through a glass" at our current stage, and this is the Divine call that drove most practitioners of the spiritual traditions along their path. Of course, we are speaking only metaphorically about the first person experiences here.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me, and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
John 10:27
PS: I'm not convinced that "glory" in the Biblical context "refers to a specified duration of evolution". If that would be the case, why it is described in the Scriptures as "His eternal glory"? How "eternal glory" could refer to a "a specified duration of evolution"?
But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus
1 Peter 5:10
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Stranger wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:16 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:18 am Even with that said, the verses you quoted indicate a definite evolutionary progression. In Christian esotericism, "glory" refers to a specified duration of evolution. So the verse is indicating that we are being transformed into the image of the Godhead through this gradual progression from evolutionary cycle to evolutionary cycle. We should ask ourselves, why do we feel the need to also add in this catch-all provision which gives us direct access to the Eternal right now? Why are we so dissastisfied with only penetrating the veils one at a time (when even lifting the first veil is a profoundly life-changing experience)? All of these things, when made the object of self-conscious contemplation, can become very instructive tools for discerning the constellation of soul-forces at work within us, which actually erect the nested veils.
Surely we are penetrating the veils one at a time, there is no shortcut. And at the same time, we (or some of us at least) are seeing and transcending into the Eternal through the veils. We are seeing it not because we are dissatisfied with only penetrating the veils one at a time, but because it's just the way it is, we can't help it - by the Divine grace we hear the voice of the Godhead and see its Light "through" the veils, even "dimly as if through a glass" at our current stage, and this is the Divine call that drove most practitioners of the spiritual traditions along their path. Of course, we are speaking only metaphorically about the first person experiences here.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me, and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
John 10:27

Let's put it another way, then - why have all of your posts since returning been exclusively focused on highlighting this 'seeing and transcending into the Eternal'? We have never disputed that the Godhead can be 'divined' from experience. In fact, every percept-concept mediated through "I" consciousness embeds Intuition of the eternal Godhead. And surely this Intuition can be fleshed out more and more through esoteric development. But we are asking why there is such a one-sided focus on that, while every mention of scientifically rigorous understanding of our spiritual be-ing goes ignored? When such things are being discussed, you take every opportunity to shift back to the one-sided focus. Do you think that, perhaps, this could point towards a subconsious soul-constellation to be made more conscious? And that making such things more conscious is identical to lifting the veils between normal waking cognition and Divine Consciousness which is precisely aware of how it has erected the veils? When we start asking these questions with genuine interest to answer them, we are then understanding our own be-ing as embedded within the vertical depth gradient of nested spiritual activity in a living way.