The Alchemical Marriage of Thinking and Will

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: The Alchemical Marriage of Thinking and Will

Post by Cleric K »

I’ll try one more attempt to illustrate what’s at the core of these back and forths. As a metaphoric tool let’s use the Cantor Dust fractal:

It’s a very simple fractal produced by taking a line segment (the top one) and removing the middle third. Then we recursively do the same with all resulting segments.

In our metaphor let’s imagine that the top line corresponds to the Absolute – the holistic and unattainable first-person intuition of all that can ever be. Filtering the bright light of universal intuition is symbolized by the removal of parts of the lines. And now here’s the first important moment – the stripped lines are not separate copies of the upper lines – they are the same top line but diminished, something has been taken away from it. We draw them separately only because otherwise it will be very difficult to represent everything stacked over a single line. So the fractal represents a specific diminished state of the Absolute. What has been removed from the line can be imagined to belong to another perspective diminished in a different way. These all exist simultaneously, they belong to different times, spaces or universes. All those perspectives that are in close ‘phase relationships’ with ours, seem to belong to a common world.

Let’s now look at this:

I have shadowed the upper and lower part of the spectrum since we really live in the middle, at our human scale, where we operate at the level of thoughts and perceptions. Even though with the telescope and microscope we look in the small and the great, all this is still experienced at our human scale, in our thoughts – in our ordinary consciousness we don’t have direct spiritual experience of the inner reality of particles or the planets. At our scale we know balls. Then we simply imagine in the intellect these balls getting smaller and picture this as the world of the small, we imagine them getting bigger and we imagine that as the world of the big. But in reality we keep both the small and the big in the size of balls that fit our human-scale mind.

Another important moment is not to imagine that the smaller fractals (where we imagine that the particles of our bodies belong) are contained in our consciousness, as chopped up thoughts for example. Our bodies don’t belong to us in the true sense. Other beings think them (from their perspective they truly are fractals of their inner states) while for us they are the shadowed environment that we interact with and shape. The only thing that currently belongs to us is our “I” experience and the thoughts that we think in freedom (out of Nothing in the context of the previous posts).

For this reason our consciousness grows from the middle outwards. I have drawn the lines slightly misplaced because this is what makes it possible to have individuated experience. If everything was perfectly harmonious we would feel in a Divine state along the full spectrum. But as the line is chopped it also becomes slightly misaligned. Not long ago I mentioned the coffee house analogy, where we can make sense only of the conversation on our table, while everything else sounds like noise. If the whole coffee house sings together, we grasp it holistically. In this sense our awakening to self-consciousness begins in a small ‘coffee table’ in the middle where we make intuitive sense of our perceptions (the happenings on our table).

When we make sense of our memories, our perceptions, our goals, hopes and fears, we live in an overarching intuition of our self, which unites them in a holistic complex. This is illustrated with the purple dashed line. We can be conscious of phenomena only insofar the corresponding intuitions fit our holistic complex. For example, in split personalities, we have two different complexes of integration which haven’t yet found common overarching intuition. 

We spoke about this previously. The dashed line intuition holds the keys to the whole evolutionary process. Even though all partial intuitions can be seen as fitting in the Absolute whole, it is still true that the experience of these intuitions on a local coffee table which doesn’t yet integrate with the others, is in itself a true and unique intuitive experience.

Now we come to the question of oneness. With spiritual insight we can realize that our essential being is the same as the Being of the Cosmos (remember, the fractal is drawn as delaminated only for clarity). But at the same time the intuition of the dashed line, which unites the fragments is something unique which is not equivalent to the full line at the top. Even in deep mystical experiences where we feel the boundaries of our being dissolve and we are One with the Cosmos, we’re still at a coffee table, even though on a different scale. If we truly were the top line, we would report experiencing perspectives of the all infinite multiverse. And we can indeed feel the crystal clear intuition that this is the true nature of the Divine – this is how we are at all capable of speaking of it – but we should also be clear that this intuition is ‘scaled down’ to our level.

Now we come to the apparent conflict – working with thinking seems to continually threaten the holistic intuitive context. And this is true, we can see it perfectly well in our contemporary abstract sciences and philosophies. But as we have talked so many times, we focus on thinking for completely different reasons.

We should be crystal clear that at our stage of evolution, thinking is the mirror of the self (the holistic intuition). The “I” awakens in thinking. We wouldn’t even know about the background of intuition if there was no thinking. If we grasp this fact properly we’ll already know that intuition of self can only expand through the growth of our thinking organism. This thinking later transforms and reaches higher orders of intuition in Imagination and so on.

Ever since we’re leading these conversations, we always have been revolving around this one and the same issue. When the “I” focuses on the general intuitive context (the feeling for unbounded self, the field of experiencing), it is prone to say about thoughts: “Yeah, thoughts are useful, they help me operate but I must not be drawn too much by them or I’ll lose my holistic feeling.” And this is fine if we’re speaking of the abstract intellect. But when we take thinking as the surface manifestation of even deeper spiritual activity, then in meditation our attitude towards thinking should transform.

Let’s return to the coffee house. We can imagine the different tables as partitions of our spiritual being. We move from table to table in time but our ordinary life doesn’t lead to a point where we can grasp them as a whole. So Eastern meditation employed in our contemporary context is like saying: “The conversations on my table are interesting and useful but I must not forget the holistic intuitive context.” So we go on and expand our consciousness and try to be all-inclusive. But what do we hear? The noise of the coffee house. It doesn’t make any sense to us. Yet driven by deep intuition we say “Within this noise I’m one with everything. I am the same as the top line of the fractal.” And it is true that our essential being is present in every point of the noise but it is not true that we are now equivalent to the solid top line. We are an aliased line which nevertheless is felt as a holistically integrated intuition of self (the dashed purple line).

Contemporary meditation realizes this: “By just trying to expand and encompass everything, I experience only an expanding intuition of noise. There’s no way in sight that this noisy intuition will somehow transform into the top solid line. Instead, I humbly acknowledge my middle position in the gradient. This I do not in order to feel remote from the Divine but quite the opposite – to find the one place where I’m truly one with it. This place is the focal point of my spiritual activity where the Divine becomes self-conscious of itself, even though in a very aliased condition. My intuitive background will forever remain as noise if I simply focus on it. Instead, if I focus my spiritual activity on a meaningful thought-image (the line circled in yellow) I grasp a very small, but true point of self-consciousness. This point is to become for me a seed point around which my thought-organism begins to grow. It spins its threads below and above and reveals ever greater imaginative volume which reflects spiritual activity in ever more holistic intuition. Soon this organism grows and unites the different partitions of my being, the coffee tables, and now they sing in harmony, they are no longer noise but clear cognitive music. From this vantage point I see that I have surpassed my previous state, where I was sitting at one of the tables, listening to the noise of the room and imagining that I’m one with everything.”

So this is the basic idea. Trying to keep the intuition of the forest, truly expands us in the noise of the uncountable leaves, we can feel blissful in that holistic panorama, and in fact we must turn attention to that intuitive background. But we must also be clear that just pushing into the ever expanding noise will never lead us into the perspective of the top line. Instead, our dashed line intuition inflates and tries to fit within itself ever greater amounts of noise. Then the person says “I understand your desire to investigate the trees but you shouldn’t forget the sweet noise of the whole forest. Your tree-thinking path is one way and it is interesting and practical but there are also other ways, which expand into the noise directly.” And herein lies the difference – that the evolving human being needs to transfigure itself such that when it expands, the noise should be grasped as clear speech. This is the great difference. And this only becomes possible in the following way: “I feel you, great Intuitive background, I hear your rustling leaves but I don’t understand your Word. No matter how much I expand and yearn to be One with you, great Cosmic Intuitive Being, I hear only mysterious whisper, which remains incomprehensible to me. But I know that the Self-consciousness that You have, is the same one that also lives in me. I find it in the reflection of the humble thought. In these tiny shards of a Cosmic mirror broken in infinite pieces, I find the tiniest reflection of the Self, in which we are truly One. I humbly rest myself in your Cosmic embrace, in your Intuitive Being. I can only open myself in prayer to you. But your Spirit I’ll only see reflected in the growing organism of my thinking being. Only in this way your Intuitive Being inflows in me like clear speech, just as I understand my own thoughts as clear speech.”

What does this mean in practical terms for our meditation? In the popular Eastern techniques we try to let go of all phenomena. We gently let thoughts flow without trying to force anything. At some point, if we have overcome certain cognitive and emotional tendencies, our thinking self gently drifts to sleep. Then we’re left within the vast intuitive background of our being, which is always with us but we constantly chop it into intuitive fragments in our daily beta brainwave states. As explained though, this only expands to the intuitive panorama of the magnificently beautiful but incomprehensible Cosmic rustling. As we descend back in our thinking self, we feel how insignificant our thoughts are which suck within their forms only the tiniest droplets of the intuitive panorama. This only reinforces our conviction, we nod our head and say “Thoughts can never capture this. They may be practical in Earthly life but have no chance to capture this wordless intuitive world.” And this is true – thoughts can never capture this intuitive background, we can never intellectually arrange thoughts as a mosaic that captures the intuitive background. But that background will also never sound as anything other than noise if we keep putting the thinking self to sleep in order to bask in the inexplicable intuitive aura.

Modern meditation demands as a precondition, clear understanding of all this. Then we know that we’re in the middle. Meditation should always begin with prayer – even if wordless. We turn with all our soul towards the infinite intuitive background and humbly desire to be one with it, just like the mystic does. Then we leave our periphery in complete trust to the Cosmic forces. Now we live in an aura of loving surrender to powers that can’t fit our ‘cabin’. At the same time we direct towards that which is up to us, and which no one else can do for us. We focus all our spiritual energy in the thought-seed around which our cognitive organism grows with much patience. The Divine forces work from the periphery, from all sides, from behind our back, while we humbly support the growing organ in which these forces begin to reflect. These reflections are not like visions that we must then interpret with our intellect but are flashes of integrating intuition. More and more of Divine thinking becomes also our own thinking. This is the reason why integrating intuition in this way leads to clear cognition, to Cosmic speech. In the mystical meditation we forsake the only point where we can find cognition, in favor of the bliss of Cosmic noise, where we find no cognition at all, only nebulous intuition of Cosmic be-ing. In meditation as appropriate for the evolving man of today, we unite with the general intuition in prayer and leave it as our back, while our thinking self begins to prepare the organism in which the Higher Self incarnates and his intuitions become also our intuitions. Just as our disorganized brain organ can reflect in thoughts our fragmentary intellectual intuitions, which nevertheless are integrated in the holistic intuition of an ego-self, so our or organized structure becomes capable of reflecting higher order intuitions and thus a higher Self can recognize its existence within our reflective sheaths, in clear cognition.

To be even more specific, with prayer we expand our being in complete surrender to the peripheral Cosmic being (the top line), while the point of concentration naturally feels in the head, between the eyes, slightly behind the forehead. We don’t have to search for it through geometric means. Once I described this spot in the following way. Imagine a weight between springs and ignore gravity.

There’s a perfectly neutral place in the head where our concentrated thought-image feels weightless. We can experiment by moving it front, back, left, right, top, down. Any position different than the neutral feels like a spring is pushing/pulling and we need extra force to keep our concentration in that point. Gradually we can spiral our imagination in the perfect spot where we feel weightless and supporting the image there is almost effortless. From that spot our thinking organism begins to grow and reflect our intuitions in images. There are so many more fascinating things to speak of from this point onwards, but that’s enough for now.

So, Eugene, you didn’t comment on my previous post about aliasing, so I don’t know what you think of these things. Here I present the same things but as explicitly as my current skills allow me to. I believe that this is really at the core of your struggle. You feel that in the head (thinking) you’re losing the intuitive background that you so dearly cherish. And I understand that perfectly well from my own journey. It really feels as if we have gone so far, expanded so much that our head feels as mere detail in a Cosmic sea, as a floating image, just another of the countless illusions. We feel more secure in this expanded state where we feel as if we contain the illusions. But just give it a thought. Do you see any conceivable way in which this Cosmic microwave background intuition can be transformed in clear Cosmic speech? Do you see any other way except waiting for a miracle? Does this even make any sense? What child has learned language by listening to noise and then in an act of enlightenment acquired the full vocabulary with grammatical and cognitive skills? What if we have to take the hard road after all and start from the point where we know as a fact that the Self finds the intuition of its own existence – in the humble thinking organ in the head? Doesn’t it make sense that if the Self is to gain true intuition of its reality (the higher lines), and not only the intuition of Cosmic noise, we should find ways to integrate the organism that can reflect these intuitions?
Federica

Post by Federica »

In connection with the theme of this thread, I thought I would paste here a basic summary of Steiner's Knowledge of the higher worlds. Because the book includes various lists of steps and exercises hidden in the body of the chapters, I have jotted down for myself a rough recap, that could maybe interest some who have read the book and are now approaching The seer's handbook. This is only a basic list, not a comment, and I omitted the last chapters on dreams, differentiation of personality, and Guardians, as I doubt I can add anything useful by summarizing those.

--- PRE-REQUIREMENTS ---

Sincere willingness to develop the following qualities is a necessary condition for engaging the path to the Higher Worlds:

1. Care for a healthy bodily life - avoiding harmful habits, unless made necessary by duty not by pleasure - and healthy mental life - striving for clear, balanced Thinking, and calm, stable Feeling. Life is healthy when it’s down-to-earth, not fanciful.

2. Sense of being a human among humans, and that differences in standpoints among people are explained by more or less favorable starting conditions. Awareness of the fundamentally unitary essence of all humans. Sense of being co-responsible for humanity and that improving humanity starts from oneself. Conviction that improving the inner life of Thinking and Feeling benefits the self as well as the world.

3. Honest, truthful look at self , determination to recognize and work against own faults and weaknesses.

4. Balance between inner resoluteness to pursue Truth, and open heart to the needs of the environment, in the realization that the inner life governs the outer, free from ‘what people say’.

5. Readiness for sacrifice, that is, readiness to offer up deeds to the world, out of love, not out of vanity, ambition, or expectation for the success of the deeds. Craving and impatience have to be curbed.

6. Gratitude for the gift of existence, and the all-embracing love that ensues.

7. Harmonious living , in keeping with these rules, filled with reverent love for creation and transformation, free from blind criticism, and superstition, developed through patient work, openness, and humble devotion to a higher reality.

8. Patience, calmness and composure , as opposed to anger, irritability and fearfulness, in all regards: others’ behaviors, look at self, expectations of progress on the path.

9. Eagerness to learn, for the sake of discovering the laws that guide the way ahead, and being of service to evolution, never for the sake of mere curiosity. Joyful and devotional approach to knowledge.

10. Unprejudiced empathy, tact, and gentleness in interacting with others, both when witnessing their expressions, and when responding to them, always keeping in mind - and at heart - their good, rather than our affirmation.

--- APPROACHING THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIGHER WORLDS ---

Access. Such knowledge should always be made available to anyone who is able to receive it, but it should not be provided to those who have not developed the necessary readiness for it. This book explains how to develop this readiness.

Respect. Profound respect and reverence for higher knowledge, for the existence of something higher than us, needs to be cultivated. The first threshold to cross is one of humility. Only patient and loving devotion to higher knowledge would provide the student with enough strength to overcome the obstacles on the path, and keep progressing. The mood of respect and devotion has to become pervasive in Thinking and Feeling, countering our modern tendency to thoughts of adverse criticism and blaming, and nourishing the soul through a connection with the inner worlds that opens the way for Knowledge to flow in.

Pleasure. Full attention to inner experience is required. The outer world is to be experienced and enjoyed as a means to acquire information as work material along the path to knowledge, not as an indulgence, or an end. Knowledge as personal enjoyment or selfish instrument, rather than as work material to progress for the advancement of humanity, is a big pitfall.

Tranquil self-observation. Daily time with oneself is needed, aside from the flow of everyday duties and preoccupations. Reflection on self from a higher standpoint is necessary, as if observing a stranger, until a calmer and more objective view on personal problems, and the personage living in them, is gained. The practice awakens and develops a strength, a tranquil inner guide, that gives control over the impressions made by the world, and other people. Progressively, randomness is taken out of all aspects of life, and a space is created for the inner self to blossom. The practice only bears fruits when the student, with perseverance, applies uncompromising sincerity in impartially confronting the self as if confronting a stranger.

Impersonal contemplation of the purely human. By later detaching from self-observation and personal standpoint, the student is called to transcend personality, ascending to a perspective wherefrom all possible human concerns and questions are contemplated. When a regular attempt is made to operate such inner shift in thinking, something of the spiritual worlds begins to live inside, that can be listened to, in the silence of the outer world. In these meditations, the student will seamlessly go from the feeling of creating thoughts as shadow-pictures, to that of receiving them as higher and real substance, shared with intention by other beings. The moment this happens for the first time is the starting point of a second life, in which thoughts appear as inner speech, and resonate in the soul. The starting material for these moments of meditation should come from spiritual-scientific, Gnostic, or mystical literature.

--- STAGES OF SPIRITUAL TRAINING ---

PREPARATION EXERCISES

Observation of growing and decaying life. Thoughtful and calm observation of growing life and decaying life, with attention to cultivating the new thoughts and feelings that will arise. These constitute the emergence of the organs of clairvoyance (soul organs). Feelings of growing life are similar to the experience of sunrise. Feelings of decay are similar to the experience of moonrise. Repeated surrender to such feelings will develop the soul worlds, until a definite set of lines and figures specific to each life species, will appear in the soul, in connection with growing and decaying of any specific physical-world life form perceived with the physical eyes. This will eventually develop into a further skill, a capacity to perceive soul forms for realities that do not have any physical existence. When these forms start to be perceived, it’s important to surrender to the feeling without trying to rationalize it.

Attunement to the laws of the higher worlds. With growing awareness of the sheer reality of thoughts and feelings, it becomes paramount to orient oneself according to the laws of the higher worlds. In particular, the mind should be kept under control. Meaningless, involuntary, capricious thoughts must be actively banned.

Selfless listening. When listening to living sound expressions, human or animal, effort should be made to grasp the inner perspective of the being originating the sound, while silencing completely one's personal viewpoints, judgments, and also feelings, until, through perseverance, a new ability will be built, of merging with another soul, and listening to soul speech. With perseverance, a further perceptive skill will emerge, as soul ears - the ability to listen to the inner worlds.

Reading spiritual science literature is also necessary, as such texts encapsulate spiritual living power that directs the student’s progress.

ENLIGHTENING PRACTICES

Comparative contemplation of minerals, plants, animals. Focused and studious comparison of two such objects of observation and their natural characteristics - when practiced with untiring patience - will develop in the soul a distinct feeling for each kingdom, hence the further awakening of the soul organs as spiritual eyes, able to perceive color-like inner visualizations. Approaching this level, it is not recommended to continue spiritual development without the guidance of a teacher, which regularly appears for those who have reached here.

Maintaining connection with the world. Spiritual development should never entail isolation from the physical world or from others, because spiritual development is grounded in the physical world. Appreciation for the beauty of the world, and compassion for fellow humans should only increase along the path.

Resilience and perseverance. Progress is not linear and often not immediately perceivable, although real. Thus it is important to remain encouraged, and trust even the minuscule progressions with confidence. Cultivating a clear, rational mind is absolutely necessary, so as to not confuse real spiritual perceptions with fantasies.

Seed contemplation. From the observation of a plant seed, the development of the whole plant should be pictured, while thinking and feeling encompass the fact that such a potential is already in existence within the seed in its current reality, in invisible form. The thought must be identified and nurtured with the corresponding emerging warm feeling, until the unison of thinking and feeling will create a new perception for the soul eyes: a luminous flame. Fully conscious self-control has to be maintained here, so as to realize the real, not illusory character of these perceptions.

Contemplation of a developed plant. The invisible quality that maintains the plant alive at the moment of observation, and that will later leave the plant, when it will die, should be pondered, until the plant-flame will become spiritually visible in color-like quality. This developing spiritual perception is the seed of a later ability to penetrate the mystery of birth and death itself. These spiritual realities are not mind creations, but lawful manifestations appearing to consciousness from within the soul.

Moral purification. At this point, any possible thoughts of using the nascent spiritual skills for personal advantage or curiosity should be strictly banished. To secure any further development in alignment with this moral ideal, no further spiritual development should be pursued unless the commitment is made to the Golden Rule - efforts made towards improvement of moral character have to be trifold, compared to further efforts towards spiritual development.

Feeling someone else's feelings. By patient and neutral observation of other people experiencing some objective, yet unfulfilled desire, and by an untiring attempt to merge with the life of that feeling, it will eventually happen that a delicate ability to perceive others' states of soul will arise and remain present in the soul. As these new soul faculties form, it is important to let them exist as soul qualities, without trying to square them by rational analysis, as reflective skills have not yet leveled up to pair the newly developed spiritual vision.

Seeing someone else's soul. Through a similar sustained practice of calm observation of someone whose wish has been fulfilled, it is possible to attain a level of spiritual seeing that reveals the person's soul as a flame-like inner perception. This exercise should only be practiced by students who have eagerly cultivated a sense or deep reverence and respect for human dignity that would prevent them from considering a human being as mere object of observation, and from despising them in any way.

Cultivating courage and fearlessness. The enlightened insights in human nature so far developed bring the student closer to Initiation. This cannot be approached unless a systematic effort is made to seek every opportunity to develop mature courage in large abundance, and ability to calmly ponder and deal with dangerous situations. Without such preparation, the unveiled view of certain destructive, horrifying spiritual realities tightly intertwined with the student’s own soul, would be so unbearable as to crash the student completely. If courage, resilience to failure, and orientation to the future are not systematically developed, it will be impossible to stand the knowledge of the Mysteries, that is to say, the knowledge of the real name of all things.

INITIATION

Initiation is a path beset with obstacles, or Trials, to test if the student has the maturity to live experiences that otherwise would occur much later and through the cycle of incarnations.

First Trial by Fire. In this trial, the veil that conceals the true spiritual nature of things, animals and humans is burned away. As a result of the trial, the student will have developed spiritual seership along with equanimity, self-confidence, and a strong and resilient character. At that point, an occult script becomes available to the student. The script captures in signs the actual forces shaping the world process, enabling the student to cohesively read the spiritual worlds and holistically grasp the interconnected workings of everything. The script comes with rules and duties that elevate any further actions the student will accomplish in the world. Moreover, a specific task has to be recognized in the script and executed as a condition to pass the trial.

Second Trial by Water. In this trial, like in deep water, no steady support for orientation is available. The student has to develop unweaving self-mastery and complete control of thinking and feeling faculties, given that in the spiritual worlds desires, thoughts, and preferences are real things that bear real consequences when formed. Sound judgment and candid readiness to let go of opinions and prejudices are the achievements of this trial.

Third Trial by Air. There are no active instructions in this trial, that student has to find the way towards the Higher Self, coming to terms with personal nature in an active way, by finding the right course of action, and following it without hesitation and with absolute presence of mind. Passing this trial grants access to the Temple of Higher Wisdom where the student learns how to apply and appropriately present Higher Wisdom and the understanding of the world in service of humanity. With such responsibility, the student also receives: the “draught of forgetfulness” so that wise action can be carried out without the hinder of lower memories, with full trust in the power of present action and capacity of envisioning the future, and the “draught of remembrance” by which the occult script and the higher truths it contains are fully recollected and permanently present with the student.

--- EFFECTS OF INITIATION ---

The effects of initiation on the soul and body should be clear and known in advance by the student, so that choices can be evaluated in full freedom and clear consciousness.

Differentiation of the soul-organism (astral body). The soul body and its chakras go from dark and inert to colorful and revolving, in proportion with the development of clairvoyance.

The 16-petalled larynx-chakra is the organ that, when developed, allows the perception of the thoughts of other beings, and of the laws of nature. All such perceptions appear as mobile forms, or figures.

Of the 16 petals of the larynx-chakra, only 8 can be worked out with exercise. The other 8 are all equally necessary, but can only activate independently from the student. The first 8 petals are developed by:

> inquiring how ideas form in consciousness, instead of simply letting them in unintentionally as they present themselves to the soul. Ideas incoming from the outer world should be scrutinized and the contained message acquired, or actively rejected if appropriate.

> same active discrimination as for ideas, applied to resolutions.

> avoiding chatter and thoughtless or light speech.

> acting harmoniously, in accord with the surroundings, and with other people’s actions, pondering the potential effects of possible courses of action on others.

> living a life of balance between work and rest.

> acting in constant alignment with personal abilities, without overstretching oneself beyond reason and without shying away from tasks that seem within reach.

> constantly learning from life, seizing every opportunity to correct mistakes.

> practicing introspection and asking oneself the important questions.

All these practices together work to harmonize the student's thoughts and words to the outer world, and develop this chakra, when they become an habitual way of life and are rightly practiced. The practices should be grounded in sound, clear, rational thinking and speaking, and have nothing to do with developing mediumship or other half-unconscious practices. For these reasons, it is advisable not to be talkative about one’s training, when full clarity and purpose of speech cannot be ensured. For the same reason, judgements should be formed and expressed with great caution.

The 12-petalled heart-chakra works to perceive the feelings of other beings, as well as animal and plant life. All such perceptions have a common character of warmth or coldness, not of form. This chakra should receive particularly careful attention.

Of the 12 petals of the heart-chakra, only 6 can be worked out with exercise. The other 6 are all equally necessary but can only activate independently. The first 6 petals are developed by:

> controlling the course of the trains of thought, keeping them logical and consistent.

> similarly controlling the course of actions.

> cultivating endurance.

> cultivating tolerance towards others, and situations, replacing criticism with understanding.

> cultivating impartiality and readiness to rectify opinions.

> cultivating equanimity towards joys and sorrows in life.

These directions of soul development are strictly necessary for the development of sound clairvoyance, and any other shortcut or technique is unsafe and dicey.

The 10-petalled stomach-chakra allows the clairvoyant to perceive the talents of other beings, the aura of living beings, as well as other secrets of nature.

To develop this chakra it is necessary to work towards full control of sense impressions, becoming able to screen out all unwanted exposure to impressions that could leave an unnoticed mark in the soul. Any thoughts appearing to the soul in casual form, or from unchecked direction, should be unable to find their way in the soul. Very strict discipline is required for the development of this chakra.

The 6-petalled chakra in the center of the body is more difficult to develop. This soul work should only be undertaken after enough spiritual development (in proper sense) has been achieved. A full mastery of the whole personality is required, where Willing, Feeling and Thinking work in perfect harmony. Desires coming from the body should not emerge, and should not require moderation. Thinking should not be a tyrant, and the soul must be willing to follow it in freedom, in perfect balance between spirit and sense world. If developed, this chakra allows to commune with the Higher Beings who make themselves available in the soul-world.

Through the practices described above, the soul-body/the chakras are awakened and mobilized, and higher perception becomes possible. But such static higher perception, without the ability to stir the perceptions and to direct them with intention, is risky, it exposes the student to all sorts of powers.
Therefore the development of the etheric body must ensue, in order to enable the higher ability to hear the inner world of life, and to perceive the etheric body in others. The human etheric body is perceived as a colored, moving, intermediary body between physical and soul body. Its movements, or currents, remain uncontrolled, until this higher faculty is developed. It consists in forming a new organ in the region of the heart, capable of emitting currents of the same type that constantly run across the etheric body, mainly streaming towards the chakras - the 12-petalled in particular - so as to stir their orientation. Through further instructions, the student forms this organ by concentrating purified thinking towards a provisional etheric center in the head, not in the heart at first, so as to clearly understand what is happening and maintain a future possibility of mastering the physical body as well. Further concentration efforts allow to move the etheric center further down to the larynx, and to orient the etheric body at will from the control of the 2-petalled chakra behind the eyes. Further ahead, a membrane is built around the etheric body that allows perception of all life currents streaming in, from the external world. Only then, the central organ of the etheric body can be moved to the heart. All the described work is achieved by concentration and meditation, and grants direct knowledge and understanding of the spiritual world from within. It also grants liberation from individual opinions and standpoints, which is required to operate in service of the world. Further, it grants the faculty of being directly confronted - as if by objects of the outer world - by one’s own previously formed thoughts and feelings, that all remain existing as perceivable and unchangeable objects. Thorough preparation is required to be able to recognize as own, and stand the view of such mirror-images, and it's in this same view that the Higher Self can also be recognized, birthed, and connected with, through the 2-petalled soul-organ. In essence, the same laws of nature, morality and sound reason applicable to the physical world govern the path to the spiritual worlds and have to be respected to ensure that the Higher Self comes to life healthy. The Higher Self, as a new being, can then walk the Higher Worlds and commune with Higher Beings. It knows its own karma, and the laws of life and incarnation. And for the first time it knows with absolute certainty the sheer reality of the spiritual worlds, by direct, encompassing, and fully integrated knowledge, rather than by sound reasoning, and partial views and insights.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Cleric K wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:23 pm To be even more specific, with prayer we expand our being in complete surrender to the peripheral Cosmic being (the top line), while the point of concentration naturally feels in the head, between the eyes, slightly behind the forehead. We don’t have to search for it through geometric means. Once I described this spot in the following way. Imagine a weight between springs and ignore gravity.

There’s a perfectly neutral place in the head where our concentrated thought-image feels weightless. We can experiment by moving it front, back, left, right, top, down. Any position different than the neutral feels like a spring is pushing/pulling and we need extra force to keep our concentration in that point. Gradually we can spiral our imagination in the perfect spot where we feel weightless and supporting the image there is almost effortless. From that spot our thinking organism begins to grow and reflect our intuitions in images. There are so many more fascinating things to speak of from this point onwards, but that’s enough for now.

Thank you, Cleric, for another illuminating series of angles!

It never occurred to me to try the above before - moving it around before centering back in the neutral place. Just from some preliminary experimentation, I already feel it helps establish a deeper center of weightless concentration. I think that goes to show just how necessary and valuable it t is to differentiate our inner activity before restoring it to higher Unities. Otherwise everything is merged into a nebulous field of activity and we are none the wiser.

We often speak of how the modern meditative path requires great inner discpline, effort, interest, reverence, devotion, etc., which is of course true. But we should also note that this weightless alignment between the eyes has been gifted to us - every human individual has this physical-etheric alignment without any effort on their part, whereas there was a time in our previous incarnations when we didn't. Thanks to aeons of 'instinctive' work through which our physical-etheric organism was perfected (although there is still work to do on the latter), the Divine Link i.e. Ego-"I", could descend into the vehicles and make use of them from this head theater of operation, through which the layers of our Be-ing can be brought into realignment with the Divine Whole. That is why we can even know and speak about our holistic intuition of the Self, as Cleric indicated. It is why the gravity of our dead intellectual thoughts can be resurrected into the levity of living imagination.

The real thing standing in our way to growing our thinking organism into the depths of Be-ing is ourselves. Everything Cleric wrote about can be intuitively, imaginatively, and even intellectually grasped without any background in spiritual science or deep meditation because it is so intimate to who we currently are. But then we meet the 'adversary' or 'accuser' living in our horizontal intellectual thoughts. In popular conception, he is constantly whispering into our ear, mocking us, telling us we're not good enough to become spiritual adults, we're silly for praying to an invisible Deity, we can never gain living knowledge so just give up and wait passively for a miracle, etc. These conceptions reflect living spiritual realities within us. Anyone who approaches serious thinking meditation will experience them. But as soon as we become self-conscious of the 'game' these forces are running on us, that's already half the battle. Then we know we are already winning the battle against our lower self and that its continual resistance is only fanning the inner flame of our Spirit.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Federica wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:47 pm In connection with the theme of this thread, I thought I would paste here a basic summary of Steiner's Knowledge of the higher worlds. Because the book includes various lists of steps and exercises hidden in the body of the chapters, I have jotted down for myself a rough recap, that could maybe interest some who have read the book and are now approaching The seer's handbook. This is only a basic list, not a comment, and I omitted the last chapters on dreams, differentiation of personality, and Guardians, as I doubt I can add anything useful by summarizing those.
Thanks Federica, this is really useful. It's interesting to me, now that you have better orientation with your thinking spiritual core, can you go back few months and imagine how would you have perceived something like the above summary without such preparation? :)
Federica

Post by Federica »

Cleric K wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:09 am It's interesting to me, now that you have better orientation with your thinking spiritual core, can you go back few months and imagine how would you have perceived something like the above summary without such preparation? :)

Yes :) I would have thought: “That’s science fiction”.
It reminds me of my reaction to Barfield’s evolutionary chart, a few months ago:
Federica wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:26 am Alright. May I say this sounds slightly mindboggling (another word I’m throwing in, let’s see how it bounces back). Just please tell me the next slide is not going to point to another galaxy, because it’s something in that fashion I think I read around, somewhere at the intersection of ancient Egypt, clairvoyance, spirituality and present day world order, if I remember correctly.

Well, on second thought, what major difference could that even make at this point... : )
Of course Ashvin was not amused, but it still makes me smile, although on a higher octave today, when I can laugh at my confusion. I remember I was thinking: "Oh no… these guys seem interesting but look, they believe in ETs… I will have to keep on searching…” :D
I also remember how the expression “spiritual science” sounded very suspicious to my ear at first. Like another pseudo-spiritual, scientistic, tech-enhanced worldview…

So all Steiner's soul and body ‘engineering’ would have sounded fictional, cartoonish, against nature, back then. And I must admit the “against nature” cord has remained quite sensitive until very recently. Maybe it still is, and Klocek’s perspective is useful in that respect. I was very open to going beyond materialism and beyond a culture where science is the unassumed religion, both as faith and as church, but I couldn’t envision the shift that's required. I was somehow expecting to make contact with the non-material from the very place where I was standing, with both the physical body, as is, and the identity, also, as is.

For the physical, I would have looked with skepticism at practices that expect to bring any fundamental changes to it. I was thinking, it’s such an incredible system, we should interfere as little as possible. I admit this thought is deeply ingrained, it has not vanished completely. And regarding identity as thinking being, I had a psychological view of how one can improve understanding, and life, by thinking differently and better, but I was focusing on the mental work one can do, by reflecting in various directions, by becoming aware of this and that. Even the most recent (at that time) realizations in terms of observing my own thinking, were about becoming aware of where thinking goes, more or less unchecked. Never about its very nature. And meditation was about ‘sending’ thoughts, or awareness, ‘somewhere’. I thought it was about exploring various new places through the mental vehicle. The car is a good illustration: I thought it was about driving somewhere else, far away, maybe even learning some new driving techniques, on snowy or sandy terrains, but it was never a question that the vehicle itself could be worked with, upgraded in any sense.

It had just never occurred to me that the instrument itself is not fixed and given. That’s the big difference. It has taken me months to land this realization. Previously it completely escaped the accessible space of possibilities. I suspect that, had I read these exact words I’m writing, before coming to this forum, I would not have understood their meaning. Even when considering something like, say, telepathy, or any non-standard mental phenomena, the approach was: the landscape is new, the way the vehicle has to navigate the wilderness might be new, but the vehicle itself... that’s me. How can it be another one? In fact the question is prevented from arising, because of a complete identification within the vehicle, with zero maneuvering space. Basically my identity felt as the thinking agency provided with a physical extension, and the function ‘think’ was not felt as a function. It was simply "I". I could imagine feeding it with various data, applying it to various contexts, but never mobilizing the function itself. So I was bound to operate on my fixed curve. Until I was shown that the thinking "I" itself can be mobilized, so as to span beyond any imaginable and unimaginable constraints. And even if I haven't even started testing any new functions (almost) at least I have an idea of what sort of homework is ahead, which by itself is a huge degree of freedom, and it's hard to make sense of the luck that brought me right within it.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:46 pm It had just never occurred to me that the instrument itself is not fixed and given. That’s the big difference. It has taken me months to land this realization. Previously it completely escaped the accessible space of possibilities. I suspect that, had I read these exact words I’m writing, before coming to this forum, I would not have understood their meaning. Even when considering something like, say, telepathy, or any non-standard mental phenomena, the approach was: the landscape is new, the way the vehicle has to navigate the wilderness might be new, but the vehicle itself... that’s me. How can it be another one? In fact the question is prevented from arising, because of a complete identification within the vehicle, with zero maneuvering space. Basically my identity felt as the thinking agency provided with a physical extension, and the function ‘think’ was not felt as a function. It was simply "I". I could imagine feeding it with various data, applying it to various contexts, but never mobilizing the function itself. So I was bound to operate on my fixed curve. Until I was shown that the thinking "I" itself can be mobilized, so as to span beyond any imaginable and unimaginable constraints. And even if I haven't even started testing any new functions (almost) at least I have an idea of what sort of homework is ahead, which by itself is a huge degree of freedom, and it's hard to make sense of the luck that brought me right within it.
Thank you, Federica, this is very inspiring. You put that into words so well. And I know that some of those reading will think "Well, another soul fell in the thinking trap, instead of embracing the Cosmos" and alas, there's not much that can be done by debating.

I guess it all boils down to a barely conscious desire, to just expand within the broken mirror pieces and behold them as Cosmic crystal dust. Magnificent, mysterious, but ultimately incomprehensible, as it grinds down Cosmic Intuition into noise. Finding the spot in the head feels like forsaking immensity for dubious thoughts. But it is precisely in a small thought-piece of the mirror that we can find the actual reflection of the intuitive activity of the Cosmic Being. From that point begins also the healing process and gradually the shards of our bodies fuse to become true mirrors for the life of the spirit and its ever growing degrees of freedom. "The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness." So we once again find immensity yet not as Cosmic rustling but as spiritual world ruled by fully conscious spiritual activity.

It seems that this requirement for our ego to deflate to the level of a mere thought, is felt as a step backwards for those who have tasted the immensity of the mystical or the psychedelic state (even though only as Cosmic noise). And I can confirm that from my experience. What you and Ashvin accomplished in only few months, took me 15 years, until I find the secret of deflation - which is driven by humility. It is here that the words are appropriate: "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." And rich should be understood in a deeper sense. Our ego becomes rich when it inflates and swallows immensity that it doesn't comprehend, yet considers its own.
Güney27

Post by Güney27 »

Federica wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:47 pm In connection with the theme of this thread, I thought I would paste here a basic summary of Steiner's Knowledge of the higher worlds. Because the book includes various lists of steps and exercises hidden in the body of the chapters, I have jotted down for myself a rough recap, that could maybe interest some who have read the book and are now approaching The seer's handbook. This is only a basic list, not a comment, and I omitted the last chapters on dreams, differentiation of personality, and Guardians, as I doubt I can add anything useful by summarizing those.

--- PRE-REQUIREMENTS ---

Sincere willingness to develop the following qualities is a necessary condition for engaging the path to the Higher Worlds:

1. Care for a healthy bodily life - avoiding harmful habits, unless made necessary by duty not by pleasure - and healthy mental life - striving for clear, balanced Thinking, and calm, stable Feeling. Life is healthy when it’s down-to-earth, not fanciful.

2. Sense of being a human among humans, and that differences in standpoints among people are explained by more or less favorable starting conditions. Awareness of the fundamentally unitary essence of all humans. Sense of being co-responsible for humanity and that improving humanity starts from oneself. Conviction that improving the inner life of Thinking and Feeling benefits the self as well as the world.

3. Honest, truthful look to self , determination to recognize and work against own faults and weaknesses.

4. Balance between inner resoluteness to pursue Truth, and open heart to the needs of the environment, in the realization that the inner life governs the outer, free from ‘what people say’.

5. Readiness for sacrifice, that is, readiness to offer up deeds to the world, out of love, not out of vanity, ambition, or expectation for the success of the deeds. Craving and impatience have to be curbed.

6. Gratitude for the gift of existence, and the all-embracing love that ensues.

7. Harmonious living , in keeping with these rules, filled with reverent love for creation and transformation, free from blind criticism, and superstition, developed through patient work, openness, and humble devotion to a higher reality.

8. Patience, calmness and composure , as opposed to anger, irritability and fearfulness, in all regards: others’ behaviors, look to self, expectations of progress on the path.

9. Eagerness to learn, for the sake of discovering the laws that guide the way ahead, and being of service to evolution, never for the sake of mere curiosity. Joyful and devotional approach to knowledge.

10. Unprejudiced empathy, tact, and gentleness in interacting with others, both when witnessing their expressions, and when responding to them, always keeping in mind - and at heart - their good, rather than our affirmation.

--- APPROACHING THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIGHER WORLDS ---

Access. Such knowledge should always be made available to anyone who is able to receive it, but it should not be provided to those who have not developed the necessary readiness for it. This book explains how to develop this readiness.

Respect. Profound respect and reverence for higher knowledge, for the existence of something higher than us, needs to be cultivated. The first threshold to cross is one of humility. Only patient and loving devotion to higher knowledge would provide the student with enough strength to overcome the obstacles on the path, and keep progressing. The mood of respect and devotion has to become pervasive in Thinking and Feeling, countering our modern tendency to thoughts of adverse criticism and blaming, and nourishing the soul through a connection with the inner worlds that opens the way for Knowledge to flow in.

Pleasure. Full attention to inner experience is required. The outer world is to be experienced and enjoyed as a means to acquire information as work material along the path to knowledge, not as an indulgence, or an end. Knowledge as personal enjoyment or selfish instrument, rather than as work material to progress for the advancement of humanity, is a big pitfall.

Tranquil self-observation. Daily time with oneself is needed, aside from the flow of everyday duties and preoccupations. Reflection on self from a higher standpoint is necessary, as if observing a stranger, until a calmer and more objective view on personal problems, and the personage living in them, is gained. The practice awakens and develops a strength, a tranquil inner guide, that gives control over the impressions made by the world, and other people. Progressively, randomness is taken out of all aspects of life, and a space is created for the inner self to blossom. The practice only bears fruits when the student, with perseverance, applies uncompromising sincerity in impartially confronting the self as if confronting a stranger.

Impersonal contemplation of the purely human. By later detaching from self-observation and personal standpoint, the student is called to transcend personality, ascending to a perspective wherefrom all possible human concerns and questions are contemplated. When a regular attempt is made to operate such inner shift in thinking, something of the spiritual worlds begins to live inside, that can be listened to, in the silence of the outer world. In these meditations, the student will seamlessly go from the feeling of creating thoughts as shadow-pictures, to that of receiving them as higher and real substance, shared with intention by other beings. The moment this happens for the first time is the starting point of a second life, in which thoughts appear as inner speech, and resonate in the soul. The starting material for these moments of meditation should come from spiritual-scientific, Gnostic, or mystical literature.

--- STAGES OF SPIRITUAL TRAINING ---

PREPARATION EXERCISES

Observation of growing and decaying life. Thoughtful and calm observation of growing life and decaying life, with attention to cultivating the new thoughts and feelings that will arise. These constitute the emergence of the organs of clairvoyance (soul organs). Feelings of growing life are similar to the experience of sunrise. Feelings of decay are similar to the experience of moonrise. Repeated surrender to such feelings will develop the soul worlds, until a definite set of lines and figures specific to each life species, will appear in the soul, in connection with growing and decaying of any specific physical-world life form perceived with the physical eyes. This will eventually develop into a further skill, a capacity to perceive soul forms for realities that do not have any physical existence. When these forms start to be perceived, it’s important to surrender to the feeling without trying to rationalize it.

Attunement to the laws of the higher worlds. With growing awareness of the sheer reality of thoughts and feelings, it becomes paramount to orient oneself according to the laws of the higher worlds. In particular, the mind should be kept under control. Meaningless, involuntary, capricious thoughts must be actively banned.

Selfless listening. When listening to living sound expressions, human or animal, effort should be made to grasp the inner perspective of the being originating the sound, while silencing completely one's personal viewpoints, judgments, and also feelings, until, through perseverance, a new ability will be built, of merging with another soul, and listening to soul speech. With perseverance, a further perceptive skill will emerge, as soul ears - the ability to listen to the inner worlds.

Reading spiritual science literature is also necessary, as such texts encapsulate spiritual living power that directs the student’s progress.

ENLIGHTENING PRACTICES

Comparative contemplation of minerals, plants, animals. Focused and studious comparison of two such objects of observation and their natural characteristics - when practiced with untiring patience - will develop in the soul a distinct feeling for each kingdom, hence the further awakening of the soul organs as spiritual eyes, able to perceive color-like inner visualizations. Approaching this level, it is not recommended to continue spiritual development without the guidance of a teacher, which regularly appears for those who have reached here.

Maintaining connection with the world. Spiritual development should never entail isolation from the physical world or from others, because spiritual development is grounded in the physical world. Appreciation for the beauty of the world, and compassion for fellow humans should only increase along the path.

Resilience and perseverance. Progress is not linear and often not immediately perceivable, although real. Thus it is important to remain encouraged, and trust even the minuscule progressions with confidence. Cultivating a clear, rational mind is absolutely necessary, so as to not confuse real spiritual perceptions with fantasies.

Seed contemplation. From the observation of a plant seed, the development of the whole plant should be pictured, while thinking and feeling encompass the fact that such a potential is already in existence within the seed in its current reality, in invisible form. The thought must be identified and nurtured with the corresponding emerging warm feeling, until the unison of thinking and feeling will create a new perception for the soul eyes: a luminous flame. Fully conscious self-control has to be maintained here, so as to realize the real, not illusory character of these perceptions.

Contemplation of a developed plant. The invisible quality that maintains the plant alive at the moment of observation, and that will later leave the plant, when it will die, should be pondered, until the plant-flame will become spiritually visible in color-like quality. This developing spiritual perception is the seed of a later ability to penetrate the mystery of birth and death itself. These spiritual realities are not mind creations, but lawful manifestations appearing to consciousness from within the soul.

Moral purification. At this point, any possible thoughts of using the nascent spiritual skills for personal advantage or curiosity should be strictly banished. To secure any further development in alignment with this moral ideal, no further spiritual development should be pursued unless the commitment is made to the Golden Rule - efforts made towards improvement of moral character have to be trifold, compared to further efforts towards spiritual development.

Feeling someone else's feelings. By patient and neutral observation of other people experiencing some objective, yet unfulfilled desire, and by an untiring attempt to merge with the life of that feeling, it will eventually happen that a delicate ability to perceive others' states of soul will arise and remain present in the soul. As these new soul faculties form, it is important to let them exist as soul qualities, without trying to square them by rational analysis, as reflective skills have not yet leveled up to pair the newly developed spiritual vision.

Seeing someone else's soul. Through a similar sustained practice of calm observation of someone whose wish has been fulfilled, it is possible to attain a level of spiritual seeing that reveals the person's soul as a flame-like inner perception. This exercise should only be practiced by students who have eagerly cultivated a sense or deep reverence and respect for human dignity that would prevent them from considering a human being as mere object of observation, and from despising them in any way.

Cultivating courage and fearlessness. The enlightened insights in human nature so far developed bring the student closer to Initiation. This cannot be approached unless a systematic effort is made to seek every opportunity to develop mature courage in large abundance, and ability to calmly ponder and deal with dangerous situations. Without such preparation, the unveiled view of certain destructive, horrifying spiritual realities tightly intertwined with the student’s own soul, would be so unbearable as to crash the student completely. If courage, resilience to failure, and orientation to the future are not systematically developed, it will be impossible to stand the knowledge of the Mysteries, that is to say, the knowledge of the real name of all things.

INITIATION

Initiation is a path beset with obstacles, or Trials, to test if the student has the maturity to live experiences that otherwise would occur much later and through the cycle of incarnations.

First Trial by Fire. In this trial, the veil that conceals the true spiritual nature of things, animals and humans is burned away. As a result of the trial, the student will have developed spiritual seership along with equanimity, self-confidence, and a strong and resilient character. At that point, an occult script becomes available to the student. The script captures in signs the actual forces shaping the world process, enabling the student to cohesively read the spiritual worlds and holistically grasp the interconnected workings of everything. The script comes with rules and duties that elevate any further actions the student will accomplish in the world. Moreover, a specific task has to be recognized in the script and executed as a condition to pass the trial.

Second Trial by Water. In this trial, like in deep water, no steady support for orientation is available. The student has to develop unweaving self-mastery and complete control of thinking and feeling faculties, given that in the spiritual worlds desires, thoughts, and preferences are real things that bear real consequences when formed. Sound judgment and candid readiness to let go of opinions and prejudices are the achievements of this trial.

Third Trial by Air. There are no active instructions in this trial, that student has to find the way towards the Higher Self, coming to terms with personal nature in an active way, by finding the right course of action, and following it without hesitation and with absolute presence of mind. Passing this trial grants access to the Temple of Higher Wisdom where the student learns how to apply and appropriately present Higher Wisdom and the understanding of the world in service of humanity. With such responsibility, the student also receives: the “draught of forgetfulness” so that wise action can be carried out without the hinder of lower memories, with full trust in the power of present action and capacity of envisioning the future, and the “draught of remembrance” by which the occult script and the higher truths it contains are fully recollected and permanently present with the student.

--- EFFECTS OF INITIATION ---

The effects of initiation on the soul and body should be clear and known in advance by the student, so that choices can be evaluated in full freedom and clear consciousness.

Differentiation of the soul-organism (astral body). The soul body and its chakras go from dark and inert to colorful and revolving, in proportion with the development of clairvoyance.

The 16-petalled larynx-chakra is the organ that, when developed, allows the perception of the thoughts of other beings, and of the laws of nature. All such perceptions appear as mobile forms, or figures.

Of the 16 petals of the larynx-chakra, only 8 can be worked out with exercise. The other 8 are all equally necessary, but can only activate independently from the student. The first 8 petals are developed by:

> inquiring how ideas form in consciousness, instead of simply letting them in unintentionally as they present themselves to the soul. Ideas incoming from the outer world should be scrutinized and the contained message acquired, or actively rejected if appropriate.

> same active discrimination as for ideas, applied to resolutions.

> avoiding chatter and thoughtless or light speech.

> acting harmoniously, in accord with the surroundings, and with other people’s actions, pondering the potential effects of possible courses of action on others.

> living a life of balance between work and rest.

> acting in constant alignment with personal abilities, without overstretching oneself beyond reason and without shying away from tasks that seem within reach.

> constantly learning from life, seizing every opportunity to correct mistakes.

> practicing introspection and asking oneself the important questions.

All these practices together work to harmonize the student's thoughts and words to the outer world, and develop this chakra, when they become an habitual way of life and are rightly practiced. The practices should be grounded in sound, clear, rational thinking and speaking, and have nothing to do with developing mediumship or other half-unconscious practices. For these reasons, it is advisable not to be talkative about one’s training, when full clarity and purpose of speech cannot be ensured. For the same reason, judgements should be formed and expressed with great caution.

The 12-petalled heart-chakra works to perceive the feelings of other beings, as well as animal and plant life. All such perceptions have a common character of warmth or coldness, not of form. This chakra should receive particularly careful attention.

Of the 12 petals of the heart-chakra, only 6 can be worked out with exercise. The other 6 are all equally necessary but can only activate independently. The first 6 petals are developed by:

> controlling the course of the trains of thought, keeping them logical and consistent.

> similarly controlling the course of actions.

> cultivating endurance.

> cultivating tolerance towards others, and situations, replacing criticism with understanding.

> cultivating impartiality and readiness to rectify opinions.

> cultivating equanimity towards joys and sorrows in life.

These directions of soul development are strictly necessary for the development of sound clairvoyance, and any other shortcut or technique is unsafe and dicey.

The 10-petalled stomach-chakra allows the clairvoyant to perceive the talents of other beings, the aura of living beings, as well as other secrets of nature.

To develop this chakra it is necessary to work towards full control of sense impressions, becoming able to screen out all unwanted exposure to impressions that could leave an unnoticed mark in the soul. Any thoughts appearing to the soul in casual form, or from unchecked direction, should be unable to find their way in the soul. Very strict discipline is required for the development of this chakra.

The 6-petalled chakra in the center of the body is more difficult to develop. This soul work should only be undertaken after enough spiritual development (in proper sense) has been achieved. A full mastery of the whole personality is required, where Willing, Feeling and Thinking work in perfect harmony. Desires coming from the body should not emerge, and should not require moderation. Thinking should not be a tyrant, and the soul must be willing to follow it in freedom, in perfect balance between spirit and sense world. If developed, this chakra allows to commune with the Higher Beings who make themselves available in the soul-world.

Through the practices described above, the soul-body/the chakras are awakened and mobilized, and higher perception becomes possible. But such static higher perception, without the ability to stir the perceptions and to direct them with intention, is risky, it exposes the student to all sorts of powers.
Therefore the development of the etheric body must ensue, in order to enable the higher ability to hear the inner world of life, and to perceive the etheric body in others. The human etheric body is perceived as a colored, moving, intermediary body between physical and soul body. Its movements, or currents, remain uncontrolled, until this higher faculty is developed. It consists in forming a new organ in the region of the heart, capable of emitting currents of the same type that constantly run across the etheric body, mainly streaming towards the chakras - the 12-petalled in particular - so as to stir their orientation. Through further instructions, the student forms this organ by concentrating purified thinking towards a provisional etheric center in the head, not in the heart at first, so as to clearly understand what is happening and maintain a future possibility of mastering the physical body as well. Further concentration efforts allow to move the etheric center further down to the larynx, and to orient the etheric body at will from the control of the 2-petalled chakra behind the eyes. Further ahead, a membrane is built around the etheric body that allows perception of all life currents streaming in, from the external world. Only then, the central organ of the etheric body can be moved to the heart. All the described work is achieved by concentration and meditation, and grants direct knowledge and understanding of the spiritual world from within. It also grants liberation from individual opinions and standpoints, which is required to operate in service of the world. Further, it grants the faculty of being directly confronted - as if by objects of the outer world - by one’s own previously formed thoughts and feelings, that all remain existing as perceivable and unchangeable objects. Thorough preparation is required to be able to recognize as own, and stand the view of such mirror-images, and it's in this same view that the Higher Self can also be recognized, birthed, and connected with, through the 2-petalled soul-organ. In essence, the same laws of nature, morality and sound reason applicable to the physical world govern the path to the spiritual worlds and have to be respected to ensure that the Higher Self comes to life healthy. The Higher Self, as a new being, can then walk the Higher Worlds and commune with Higher Beings. It knows its own karma, and the laws of life and incarnation. And for the first time it knows with absolute certainty the sheer reality of the spiritual worlds, by direct, encompassing, and fully integrated knowledge, rather than by sound reasoning, and partial views and insights.
Hi Frederica,
In line with your post, I am currently working on Steiner's book How to Know Higher Worlds.

You wrote that when we reach the stage where our soul begins to form organs of perception, we should have a teacher to guide us.

I have thought a lot about this topic.
For there is a certain danger on the way to knowledge. For example when you start to have changes in perception. There are many people who can no longer classify what is happening to them and they run the risk of going crazy.
To be honest, I had also developed a great fear in me when I first read about the Guardian of the Threshold the other day.
It sounds a bit schizophrenic.

Another point I notice in myself as a very young person is losing interest in worldly subjects. Material things and career lose their value and you feel a strong desire to come to these insights, which we are talking about here in the forum.

This specific phenomenon is particularly relevant for young people who have not settled in life. CG Jung also addressed this topic when he spoke about active imagination.
One has to ground oneself in the material world in order not to lose oneself.

Kind regards
~Only true love can heal broken hearts~
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:04 am I think that goes to show just how necessary and valuable it is to differentiate our inner activity before restoring it to higher Unities. Otherwise everything is merged into a nebulous field of activity and we are none the wiser.
Federica wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:46 pm It had just never occurred to me that the instrument itself is not fixed and given. That’s the big difference. It has taken me months to land this realization. Previously it completely escaped the accessible space of possibilities. I suspect that, had I read these exact words I’m writing, before coming to this forum, I would not have understood their meaning. Even when considering something like, say, telepathy, or any non-standard mental phenomena, the approach was: the landscape is new, the way the vehicle has to navigate the wilderness might be new, but the vehicle itself... that’s me. How can it be another one? In fact the question is prevented from arising, because of a complete identification within the vehicle, with zero maneuvering space. Basically my identity felt as the thinking agency provided with a physical extension, and the function ‘think’ was not felt as a function. It was simply "I". I could imagine feeding it with various data, applying it to various contexts, but never mobilizing the function itself.
Since Federica made the summary of the first half of How to Know Higher Worlds, I just wanted to include something from the second half. It is directly related with the above quotes. As said so many times, meditation starts with concentration on a thought-image but this is not in the least meant to lock us into thought-only world. Instead, the concentration serves as a seed point around which we begin to awaken to unknown degrees of freedom of our cognitive spiritual activity. The only way to remotely compare this with anything of popular culture is awakening to a lucid dream (and even this may be unknown experience to some people). In the dream we move around, perceive, think and so on. One could say 'I'm simply "I"'. But at the moment we gain part of our waking consciousness, suddenly we find a whole new maneuvering space for our spiritual activity, we see that up until a moment we have been "I" within an "I", except that the outer "I"'s existence was unsuspected.

Of course, the analogy is limited. In our life we continually alternate between waking and dreaming, so we see our dreaming "I" as our normal "I" but slightly numbed down (since all the contradictions in our dreams make no impression on us). The difference with Initiation is that in ordinary circumstances we become lucid only at the moment of death. Alas, if we haven't worked to bridge the two levels of self while still on Earth, they are quite orthogonal in their interests and goals. Especially for people who were otherwise seeking deeper understanding but never made the bridge, the moment of death comes as a mixture of surprise and frustration. When we become lucid in a dream we're often surprised how up until a moment we were engrossed in contradictory dream images and that never nudged us to seek higher synthesis. Similarly, in death we are stricken by the intuitive understanding "Man, I've been moving within this higher consciousness all my life yet I was either too engrossed in the sensory and intellectual images or I simply pushed everything away and only dreamt of higher existence." This undertone of dissatisfaction is what later leads us into new incarnation because without the deeper forces concealed within the intellect, which recognize themselves as descending from the spiritual world, our higher being is incomplete. It lacks the possibility to understand the higher worlds and passes its journey among the archetypal beings as if intuiting them through an obscure glass:

So for this reason, only within our concentrated thinking spiritual activity we can find the point of contact between our ordinary and higher being, just like the thinking of the dreaming and the lucid self have the same center - only the degrees of freedom increase. This increase in degrees of freedom allows us to work in previously inconceivable ways in our being. Here's what is said in the book:
https://rsarchive.org/Books/GA010/English/RSPC1947/GA010_c08.html wrote:It is true that great changes take place in the student's finer bodies, as described above. These changes are connected with certain processes in the development of the three fundamental forces of the soul, with willing, feeling, and thinking. Before esoteric training, these forces are subject to a connection ordained by higher cosmic laws. Man's willing, feeling and thinking are not arbitrary. A particular idea arising in the mind is attended by a particular feeling, according to natural laws; or it is followed by a resolution of the will in equally natural sequence. We enter a room, find it stuffy, and open the window. We hear our name called and follow the call. We are questioned and we answer. We perceive an ill-smelling object and experience a feeling of disgust. These are simple connections between thinking, feeling, and willing. When we survey human life we find that everything is built up on such connections. Indeed, life is not termed normal unless such a connection, founded on the laws of human nature, is observed between thinking, feeling and willing. It would be found contrary to these laws if the sight of an ill-smelling object gave anyone pleasure, or if anyone, on being questioned, did not answer. The success anticipated from a right education or fitting instruction is based upon the presumption that a connection between thinking, feeling, and willing, corresponding to human nature, can be established in the pupil. Certain ideas are conveyed to him on the assumption that they will be associated, in regular fashion, with his feelings and volitions.

All this arises from the fact that in the finer soul-vehicles of man the central points of the three forces — thinking, feeling and willing — are connected with each other according to laws. This connection in the finer soul organism has its counterpart in the coarser physical body. In the latter, too, the organs of will are connected according to laws with those of thinking and feeling. A particular thought, therefore, inevitably evokes a feeling or an activity of will. In the course of higher development, the threads interconnecting the three fundamental forces are severed. At first this severance occurs only within the finer soul organism, but at a still higher stage the separation extends also to the physical body. It is a fact that in higher spiritual development the brain divides into three separate parts. This separation is not physically perceptible in the ordinary way, nor can it be demonstrated by the keenest instruments. Yet it occurs, and the clairvoyant has means of observing it. The brain of the higher clairvoyant divides into three independently active entities: The thought-brain, the feeling-brain, and the will-brain.

Thus the organs of thinking, feeling, and willing become individualized; their connection henceforth is not maintained by laws inherent in themselves, but must be managed by the awakened higher consciousness of the individual. This, then, is the change which the student observes coming over him: that no connection arises of itself between an idea and a feeling or a will-impulse, unless he himself provides one. No impulse urges him from thought to action unless he himself in freedom give rise to this impulse. He can henceforth confront, devoid of feeling, a fact which before his training would have filled him with glowing love or bitter hatred; and he can remain impassive at the thought which formerly would have spurred him on to action, as though of its own accord. He can perform actions through resolutions of the will for which there is not the slightest reason for anyone not having undergone esoteric training. The student's great achievement is the attainment of complete mastery over the combined activity of the three soul forces; but at the same time the responsibility for this activity is placed entirely in his own hands.

It is only through this transformation of his being that the student can enter consciously into relation with certain supersensible forces and beings, for his own soul forces are related to certain fundamental forces of the world. The force, for instance, inherent in the will can affect definite things and the beings of the higher worlds, and also perceive them; but it can only do so when liberated from its connection with thinking and feeling within the soul. The moment this connection is severed, the activity of the will can be exteriorized. The same applies to the forces of thinking and feeling.
As long as our thinking, feeling and willing are entangled, we feel about them: 'It is simply "I", my monolithic soul'. Seeking nebulous oneness with the environment only reinforces and expands this dreamy unity. Yet in that unity we are not free because we're moving through life similarly to our dream self basking in the dream world and feeling one with it but never awakening to the perspective of the waking self. So what Federica describes is transparently clear to anyone who knows their way in these waters. This ability to see our thinking not like 'simply "I"' that thinks from the blind spot of existence but as an actual world process within which our spirit operates with higher forces of cognitive spiritual activity, is the beginning of this differentiation of the forces of thinking, feeling and willing. So exactly as Ashvin says, we need to clearly differentiate the forms of spiritual activity, the forms of perceptions, feelings and so on. Then the unity comes not as mixing everything in a lukewarm mash but by finding a deeper center of gravity and new degrees of freedom that orchestrate the differentiated forces in a symphonic manner.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:46 pm
Cleric K wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:09 am It's interesting to me, now that you have better orientation with your thinking spiritual core, can you go back few months and imagine how would you have perceived something like the above summary without such preparation? :)

Yes :) I would have thought: “That’s science fiction”.
It reminds me of my reaction to Barfield’s evolutionary chart, a few months ago:
Federica wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:26 am Alright. May I say this sounds slightly mindboggling (another word I’m throwing in, let’s see how it bounces back). Just please tell me the next slide is not going to point to another galaxy, because it’s something in that fashion I think I read around, somewhere at the intersection of ancient Egypt, clairvoyance, spirituality and present day world order, if I remember correctly.

Well, on second thought, what major difference could that even make at this point... : )
Of course Ashvin was not amused, but it still makes me smile, although on a higher octave today, when I can laugh at my confusion. I remember I was thinking: "Oh no… these guys seem interesting but look, they believe in ETs… I will have to keep on searching…” :D
I also remember how the expression “spiritual science” sounded very suspicious to my ear at first. Like another pseudo-spiritual, scientistic, tech-enhanced worldview…

Thank you for the comprehensive outline, Federica! I will probably be printing it out and keeping it close, as I imagine that it will help me to stay oriented on a daily basis.

What you describe in the last post was also my experience and expressed much better than I could. I remember starting on HTKHW before PoF and being turned away very quickly. But it is hard for me now to remember clearly just how it felt to be unexposed to the inversion horizon and view the World Phenomena in that way. I suppose that will change as I progress more and integrate more time-layers of my 'dust fractal'.

We have a very hard time accepting that there are modes of thinking-being which we can hardly imagine when our ego remains inflated, which it is by default in modern society. We want everything to line up nicely with the conceptual templates we 'worked' so hard to develop our entire adult lives, but which we actually inherited through our past Karma. If we take reincarnation somewhat seriously, it's easy to see why our normal thinking is so firmly rooted in the past. A new incarnation would serve little purpose unless it occurs after the environment has radically changed, so that we can learn new lessons from our life experience. Yet our thinking activity is still adapted to the environment from our previous incarnation, perhaps even 1,000-2,000 years ago. Although we certainly progress spiritually during periods of death-rebirth, we need to recapitulate all our previous incarnations before something truly new can unfold. That is too simplified, but it should go to show the general principle of just how conditioned by past activity that we truly are. So we need to seek the supra-sensory impulses which seed the future and we shouldn't expect these to fit conveniently into our highly conditioned intellectual templates. Especially in the mystical circles we see a clear longing for, not only past traditions, but very ancient ones. Of course these can be helpful as tools to place ourselves within the evolutionary progress of our spiritual organism in the context of the Whole, but often they are taken as ends-in-themselves, as is generally the case with most abstractly constructed systems and models today.

The difficult part is realizing in humility we cannot grow out of our past conditioning by more reorganizing of planar concepts which precipitated from that same past activity, and the inflated ego-complex serves to keep this habit of thinking in place.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Güney27 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:08 pm I have thought a lot about this topic.
For there is a certain danger on the way to knowledge. For example when you start to have changes in perception. There are many people who can no longer classify what is happening to them and they run the risk of going crazy.
To be honest, I had also developed a great fear in me when I first read about the Guardian of the Threshold the other day.
It sounds a bit schizophrenic.

Another point I notice in myself as a very young person is losing interest in worldly subjects. Material things and career lose their value and you feel a strong desire to come to these insights, which we are talking about here in the forum.

This specific phenomenon is particularly relevant for young people who have not settled in life. CG Jung also addressed this topic when he spoke about active imagination.
One has to ground oneself in the material world in order not to lose oneself.

Kind regards
Guney,

Meeting the Guardian would indeed be terrifying if we simply perceived him as an image at our current level of spiritual development, but this can't happen. As if often said here, modern initiation is not about becoming 'clairvoyant' in the sense of seeing exotic images, but about knowing the more holistic depths of one's own Being, a higher knowledge which can only then crystallize into new perceptions which are understood in this holistic context.

The Guardian is always with us when we are in a sleeping state, i.e. at the threshold of the physical-perceptual and spiritual, supra-sensory worlds. If we spiritually develop to the point of becoming conscious of his presence, this will be felt as a great blessing. He gives us the most concrete feedback on the lower soul-qualities which we have built up for ourselves, and which still need to be worked on before we can cross the threshold and become conscious in higher worlds. It is not only about getting to experience new planes of consciousness with exoteric imagery, but becoming virtuous enough to be creative and productive participants in those higher planes. As in Cleric's last post, we can imagine what great responsibility is needed to wield the WFT forces of our 'three brains' independently of one another. The Guardian helps us immensely in differentiating our soul-life and only entering into the higher worlds when our spiritual constitution is ready to withstand them, so we do not get consumed into a void when we lose sensory experience or expand our lower ego to dangerous proportions.