Insight into the full nature of reality

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Stranger

Re: Insight into the full nature of reality

Post by Stranger »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:27 pm For my part, I see the goal slightly differently. A description of my disposition would be that I am not really keeping in mind a goal of realizing oneness, rather, I am eager to discover the truth, whatever this is. I don't want to set expectations for the color of oneness.
Right, that's a good way to do it. Yet, even with such wise approach, this thread is to say that if you think you got to the Truth but do not experience it as Oneness, you are still not there :)
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

For me, movement (behavior) requires the lingo of dualism (here to there), whereas repose defies it into a silent peace passing comprehension, similar to Ramana Maharshi saying his consciousness was like being wide awake in deep dreamless sleep. In this sense, the polarities of paradox are not riddles to resolve but gifts to be held firmly in balance. "Form is emptiness and emptiness is not other than form." Spirit or matter? Thinking or not? Movement or repose? Always an attaining of a balanced both/and in difference trends in changing contexts, as in yin/yang.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:27 pm A description of my disposition would be that I am not really keeping in mind a goal of realizing oneness, rather, I am eager to discover the truth, whatever this is. I don't want to set expectations for the color of oneness.
Yes! The motive is wonder, which is what drives the expansion of awareness and love.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:56 pm For me, movement (behavior) requires the lingo of dualism (here to there), whereas repose defies it into a silent peace passing comprehension, similar to Ramana Maharshi saying his consciousness was like being wide awake in deep dreamless sleep. In this sense, the polarities of paradox are not riddles to resolve but gifts to be held firmly in balance. "Form is emptiness and emptiness is not other than form." Spirit or matter? Thinking or not? Movement or repose? Always an attaining of a balanced both/and in difference trends in changing contexts, as in yin/yang.
Right. Also, the variety of forms and movements actually never breaks the unity. The state of unity is not a state of the absence of movement, thoughts or perceptions, it is not one of the polarities, but it is the One that encompasses all polarities.

In some nondual practices people try to achieve the blank states (no movement, no thoughts, no perceptions) because they think that in such state it may be easier to intuitively grasp the unity, but that is not necessary, and often it is even counterproductive as people often misinterpret and confuse such blank states with the state of unity and get stuck in such misinterpretation.

Also, as we discussed in another thread, such nondual realization is not the final goal or destination of spiritual evolution, it's not a final stagnation point, yet it is one of the essential metamorphic gates/stages of our spiritual evolution.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Stranger wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:46 pm
Federica wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:27 pm For my part, I see the goal slightly differently. A description of my disposition would be that I am not really keeping in mind a goal of realizing oneness, rather, I am eager to discover the truth, whatever this is. I don't want to set expectations for the color of oneness.
Right, that's a good way to do it. Yet, even with such wise approach, this thread is to say that if you think you got to the Truth but do not experience it as Oneness, you are still not there :)
...and if you think you got to the Truth, and you do experience it as Oneness, you still could be still not there... If I had to bet I would pick this one as most likely mishap.
Last edited by Federica on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Stranger wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:56 pm For me, movement (behavior) requires the lingo of dualism (here to there), whereas repose defies it into a silent peace passing comprehension, similar to Ramana Maharshi saying his consciousness was like being wide awake in deep dreamless sleep. In this sense, the polarities of paradox are not riddles to resolve but gifts to be held firmly in balance. "Form is emptiness and emptiness is not other than form." Spirit or matter? Thinking or not? Movement or repose? Always an attaining of a balanced both/and in difference trends in changing contexts, as in yin/yang.
Right. Also, the variety of forms and movements actually never breaks the unity. The state of unity is not a state of the absence of movement, tho
Yes, and there is no contradiction in honoring the diverse variety of paths. Since all are never separated the expansion of any expands the whole, as in blowing up balloon from many directions. The expansion of animism or shamanism is not separate from movement and repose of the expansion of the whole. Paths have hierarchies that are all connected, up, down, inward, outward ad infinitum. As individuals, we wonder and work wherever we are in the now. Grist for the mill in the blessing.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm ...and if you think you got to the Truth, and you do experience it as Oneness, you still could be still not there... If I had to bet I would pick this one as most likely mishap.
Right, it's not Oneness only, but Oneness is one of its key hallmarks.
I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (John 14:6)
I and my Father are one John 10:30
Last edited by Stranger on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Stranger wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:12 pm
Federica wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm ...and if you think you got to the Truth, and you do experience it as Oneness, you still could be still not there... If I had to bet I would pick this one as most likely mishap.
Right, it's not Oneness only, but Oneness is one of its key hallmarks.
Agree. I would think that Oneness is one of the early wins, after which the way to Truth is still very long.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm
Stranger wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:46 pm
...and if you think you got to the Truth, and you do experience it as Oneness, you still could be still not there... If I had to bet I would pick this one as most likely mishap.
One can be as easily blinded by the light as lost in the dark. Focus on balance in process and not outcomes, which as the Bhagavad Gita sez, should be given to God.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:14 pm Agree. I would think that Oneness is one of the early wins, after which the way to Truth is still very long.
Yes, as I said, it's one of the key gates, but not the final destination.