Theories on consciousness

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Clayton

Theories on consciousness

Post by Clayton »

Hi everyone, I had two questions I wanted to pose regarding theories on consciousness. The first was with ORCH OR by Stuart Hameroff, and the second was the Conscious Agents theory by Donald Hoffman.
1. Can ORCH OR theory be considered idealistic or does it fall under another view such as materialism or panpsychism?
2. Is the Conscious Agent theory claim to be a sort of idealism or does Donald Hoffman disagree with this label?

I have been unsure about how to classify these two theories and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.
AshvinP

Re: Theories on consciousness

Post by AshvinP »

Clayton wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:44 pm Hi everyone, I had two questions I wanted to pose regarding theories on consciousness. The first was with ORCH OR by Stuart Hameroff, and the second was the Conscious Agents theory by Donald Hoffman.
1. Can ORCH OR theory be considered idealistic or does it fall under another view such as materialism or panpsychism?
2. Is the Conscious Agent theory claim to be a sort of idealism or does Donald Hoffman disagree with this label?

I have been unsure about how to classify these two theories and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Hey Clayton,

I hope you aren't offended that there are likely no responses forthcoming. I think it's safe to say that people who still participate regularly on this forum have started discerning how meaningless it is to discuss whether one abstract model falls under the purview of another abstract model, which goes by some ontological label which no one is quite clear on the meaning of. For ex., there are radically different takes on "idealism" here which range from Western esoteric philosophy/science to analytic idealism, which is all but indistinguishable from materialism at this point from a functional perspective.

Instead, the interest has oriented towards the questions of whether these theories and models are pointing to anything which is actionable within our own sphere of inner ideational activity, which can reconcile that inner activity with the outer world of substances/processes which seem to unfold completely independent of it. If Reality is Idea, of the same essence as the scientific, aesthetic, and moral ideas which live in our human consciousness, then how do we come to know, in a living way, these overaching Ideas which structure the phenomenal world through our consciousness?

You probably have not had a chance to check out any other threads here yet, and I am not sure you are interested in a phenomenology of thinking-perception (also called 'spiritual activity' here). Do you have any familiarity with that branch of philosophy?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"