The world does not exist outside of perception, yet neither does it not exist.

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: The world does not exist outside of perception, yet neither does it not exist.

Post by AshvinP »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:37 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:21 pmNamely, we are treating our inner concepts about Reality (whatever it is) as naively real. This blinds us to the fact that the actual process of Reality is to be found in that activity which manifests our metaphysical concepts as outer physiognomy.
Right! Now I get you. That's what yoga is grounded in, is it not? (Real yoga, not exercise-class yoga.) The physical poses (asanas) representing or realising specific aspects of being. There are teachings about somatic meditation and awakening of the body. Is that close?

I agree with you, insofar as one mistakes abstractions and words for reality.

Wayfarer,

I am not too familiar with the ancient yoga practices, but from my limited understanding, what you say is accurate. There is another whole discussion about whether such practices are suitable for the modern Westerner, given the ongoing evolution of the body-soul-spirit constitution, but we can leave that aside here. I will just say that I am more pointing to a spiritual scientific path which is 'brand new' - just as the Newtonian could hardly imagine the paradigmatic shift in consciousness necessary for QM/GR worldviews beforehand, most modern people can hardly imagine the paradigmatic shift towards a science of the Soul-Spirit, i.e. our inner life of thinking, feeling, and willing.

And we should take what you write in bold very seriously, more seriously than we are accustomed to. There have been plenty of 20th century thinkers who have written about the nature of this inner life and activity of the human soul, but can we rightly call those writings, which only refer us to conceptual models, "explanations"? Likewise, there are the mystical thinkers who refer us to introspective 'enlightenment' but can only speak of Cosmic realities in vague, isolated intellectual concepts. The spiritual scientific method we are referring to should allow us to discern precisely how phenomenal processes come into be-ing through archetypal ideational activity, how Earth and Heaven are always meeting through human thinking consciousness. This, I would say, is the real process of answering the hypothetical question, "how mind creates the world", in a way that is both scientifically precise and practically transformative.

Wayfarer wrote:
AshvinP wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:21 pm Like you said, it would make the natural scientific method much more difficult within its various domains to integrate first-person conscious agency, even though it's intuitive that this agency is just as much of a part of the World Process as anything else which is observed. But that is where we come to the key question - does this additional difficulty mean that it is impossible to do? Kant answered "yes" to that question - it is impossible for human cognition, which is trapped within the phenomenal domain of its own intuitive making, whereas there is a separate noumenal domain which remains 'unintelligible and meaningless' to scientific inquiry.
One of Krishnamurti's paperbacks was called 'The Impossible Question'. ' "If you put an impossible question, your mind then has to find the answer in terms of the impossible - not what is possible' was the byline. Kind of like a Zen koan. It's a question that is intended to transform the questioner not simply to elicit an answer.

I don't know if Kant really had that breakthrough into the (Eastern) enlightened perspective - Jacques Maritain said he didn't - but his work is still seminal in our day.

As for 'human cognition being trapped' - the Biblical explanation of that is with reference to 'the fall'. In the Eastern traditions, there is no 'fall' but there is the principle of the 'beginningless ignorance' in which humans are entangled. So what all of the spiritual traditions are aiming at is a spiritual transformation. I don't think that there is anything corresponding to that in naturalist philosophy. Remember Carl Sagan: "Cosmos is all there is, ever has been, and ever will be'. And by that, Sagan means the cosmos discoverable by instruments and senses. A proper metaphysic can accomodate the natural sciences but not vice versa.

I don't want to get too caught up in any particular personalities and their works, which is my fault for focusing on Kant so much. I am only trying to point attention to a habit of thinking which is practically universal now, across all ontologies and most spiritual streams (including Theosophy to some extent). If it was only meant to be a Zen koan early on, then people quickly forgot and idolized it into a rigid epistemology and way of perceiving-thinking through the world phenomena, which is now par for the course.

The Biblical account of the Fall relays how we came to be individual thinking agencies - "and their eyes were opened" - feeling then separated from the great Cosmic impulses in which we were previously flowing, and rather absorbed into the sensory spectrum. So yes that is the basis of the 'trap', but the Biblical account, from Old to New testaments, places special emphasis that it was due to our own desires and habits of thinking. In other words, we are not dealing with a universal law set in stone, but a relational and evolving process. The modern concept of the Fall, for both secular and religious worldviews, has become that of a universal law.

This simple shift toward what we could call 'confession and repentance' of our complicity in the Fall, where we look hard at our own thinking habits and soul-tendencies, makes the difference between our judgment/condemnation of modern natural sciences and their redemption/rebirth. Although I have also gotten much value from BK's work (which is how I ended up here), it's unfortunate to say, we hear a lot of the former from Essentia and nothing about a viable path towards the latter. The natural sciences are investigating the same World Process that idealist philosophers are investigating - there is only One, after all. Their results are shedding light on very deep principles of that WP, even if our first-person thinking agency and its role remains in the blind spot for the time being.

But it only takes a tiny spark of intuition, inspiration, imagination to set all that coarse, abstract science ablaze. In that sense, the natural scientists are storing up plenty of kindling which can potentially foster the Spirit within. Whereas the analytical metaphysicians and modern mystics are forsaking that 'matter' for free-floating ideal abstractions - they appropriate past scientific findings for their metaphysical theories, so to speak, but don't further the science of the future. That's why I say we should shift from intellectual debates about which 'ism' is better than the other, and more towards what we can do to unveil the treasure trove of living wisdom-knowledge which is always sitting right beneath the threshold of our normal waking consciousness, and which the spirit of all those 'isms' can help us approach in its own unique ways.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Wayfarer

Re: The world does not exist outside of perception, yet neither does it not exist.

Post by Wayfarer »

Thanks, Ashwin, will take all that on board.

AshwinP wrote:There is another whole discussion about whether such practices are suitable for the modern Westerner...
I remember one of those well-known 60's translations of Eastern classics - I think it might have been Tibetan Book of Great Liberation through Knowing the One Mind - to which Jung wrote the forward. He opined that true yoga practices are unsuitable for anyone who lives in a premisses with a telephone. :-D
Federica

Post by Federica »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:37 pm
Cleric K wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:20 am So does this cause any concern to you: that we can disentangle our personal perspective up to a point, yet we still remain entangled in a more mysterious stratum of reality where our bodily nature belongs? Do you conceive of a potential perspective which can experience itself consciously creative within the forms and organs of the body and the whole of Nature for that matter? Or the body and Nature are things that forever remain beyond the scope of the liberated mind, which just has to wait for death in expectation of the final liberation?
They're deep questions, but tangential to the particular line of enquiry that I'm exploring. I am concentraing particularly on the question of how 'mind creates world'.

Mamma mia, Wayfarer, that’s frustrating! :)
Please take what follows with a pinch of humor, but it seems to me that when one finds oneself 'in the labyrinth', one should be concerned with finding a way out? How can you afford to only pursue one particular theme of your liking and decline any other ‘deep’ questions on the ground that they are tangential to… your particular line of inquiry? I didn’t know one could pick and choose which worlds one wants to ‘work with’ in this manner, wrap them in papyrus-like bibliography, and roll like that, leaving everything else un-known on the sides? Unless one is not looking for a wayout, and that’s the real dismissal?
May I ask you, what Ideal are you pursuing with your philosophical activities?
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Federica wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:36 am How can you afford to only pursue one particular theme of your liking and decline any other ‘deep’ questions on the ground that they are tangential to… your particular line of inquiry?
To be honest, I didn't understand what you had written, and I was trying to be polite.
Federica wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:36 amMay I ask you, what Ideal are you pursuing with your philosophical activities?
Specifically, the philosophical question I was addressing in my post was a response to the often-stated objection to idealism - namely, how can the world be the creation of the mind, as idealism claims, when h. sapiens is only a recent arrival in the Grand Scheme? How is that objection to be dealt with?

And to be honest again, I don't think the argument I put forward was understood, or at least it wasn't really addressed, even despite acknowledgement of the cogency of parts of my analysis. But, no hard feelings at all, they're very deep questions and we all tend to come at them from different angles.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:22 am
Federica wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:36 am How can you afford to only pursue one particular theme of your liking and decline any other ‘deep’ questions on the ground that they are tangential to… your particular line of inquiry?
To be honest, I didn't understand what you had written, and I was trying to be polite.
Federica wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:36 amMay I ask you, what Ideal are you pursuing with your philosophical activities?
Specifically, the philosophical question I was addressing in my post was a response to the often-stated objection to idealism - namely, how can the world be the creation of the mind, as idealism claims, when h. sapiens is only a recent arrival in the Grand Scheme? How is that objection to be dealt with?

And to be honest again, I don't think the argument I put forward was understood, or at least it wasn't really addressed, even despite acknowledgement of the cogency of parts of my analysis. But, no hard feelings at all, they're very deep questions and we all tend to come at them from different angles.

Wayfarer,

I think it should be said, briefly, that there is a lot of history on this forum of discussing what we call 'horizontal planar thinking' about Cosmic secrets in opposition to what is called 'vertical depth thinking' (or something similar). For ex. see this post by Cleric. I certainly went pretty abruptly into this discussion in response to your OP, so it's understandable you felt the main question was side-stepped.

For me, when someone asks a "why" or "how" question (or shares a 'how' question which is normally asked), and expects or proposes a strictly philosophical-metaphysical answer or resolution rather than a scientific one, that is a sign of the horizontal thinking. It is taking a tool which is only appropriate for limited domains of intellectual human activity, and applying that same tool to penetrating Cosmic secrets of how Consciousness creates the World. So I was hoping that we could explore the alternative tool of vertical thinking through these questions, which we would say is better adapted to actually resolving them (and it's really a never-ending process of resolution, as our scientific investigation unpeels layer after layer of how Consciousness creates the World).

I think that speaks to Federica's question as well - if the Ideal is not to penetrate the depths of these questions, then the horizontal approach could make sense. But otherwise it needs to be reevaluated. We should notice that the horizontal metaphysical 'resolutions' have been proposed to materialists, naturalists, etc. for decades and centuries now, but does anyone ever find it convincing? The reason they don't is precisely because it is unscientific, lacking any depth, and something given to them rather than something which they think through on their own from living first-person experience.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:03 pm I certainly went pretty abruptly into this discussion in response to your OP, so it's understandable you felt the main question was side-stepped.
Yes you did...
AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:03 pm For me, when someone asks a "why" or "how" question (or shares a 'how' question which is normally asked), and expects or proposes a strictly philosophical-metaphysical answer or resolution rather than a scientific one...
...and you are continuing :)
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:22 am

Wayfarer,

Once your question receives specific answers, will you accept to consider questions sent your way as well?

My answer to the mentioned objection to idealism would be “That’s because it’s conceived within mind-at-large, not within any separate mind-in-sapiens-brain”.

Here’s my questions to you:

> What is it that wasn’t clear in what I previously wrote?
> Why did you decline Cleric’s question?
> What Ideal are you pursuing with your philosophical activities?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:22 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:03 pm I certainly went pretty abruptly into this discussion in response to your OP, so it's understandable you felt the main question was side-stepped.
Yes you did...
AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:03 pm For me, when someone asks a "why" or "how" question (or shares a 'how' question which is normally asked), and expects or proposes a strictly philosophical-metaphysical answer or resolution rather than a scientific one...
...and you are continuing :)

Yes well now there is plenty of additional context for why the question was 'side-stepped' :)

It brings to mind the following - someone asks me for directions, 'how do I get from your house to the highway?', and I answer, 'you are presupposing the mental construct that my house is something other than the highway!'

This is true, the person is presupposing that, but for good reason, and my response is useless and unsatisfying to them, for even better reason. If questions could be answered in that way, let alone those pertaining to the Cosmic secrets of existence, then nothing of eternal value would ever come from human striving.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:45 pm
Yes well now there is plenty of additional context for why the question was 'side-stepped' :)
Maybe not plenty, but some. By the way, I don't want to imply or let believe that for me the mentioned depth-thinking is now all self-evident and well understood, because it's certainly not. By the way, this discussion sent me back to PoF again (The Philosophy of Freedom) and to older posts, and I am sure I am not done :)

AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:45 pm It brings to mind the following - someone asks me for directions, 'how do I get from your house to the highway?', and I answer, 'you are presupposing the mental construct that my house is something other than the highway!'

This is true, the person is presupposing that, but for good reason, and my response is useless and unsatisfying to them, for even better reason. If questions could be answered in that way, let alone those pertaining to the Cosmic secrets of existence, then nothing of eternal value would ever come from human striving.
For sure there's no other way to know how to get to the highway, than by getting behind the wheel, and having the first person driving experience, according to instructions, until the highway is found.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:37 pm ...
Wayfarer, I would like to add some illustrations to the topic, as I usually like to do. This is of help first and foremost to myself but in sharing that, I hope others can also gain more holistic intuition of these matters.

You say “I am concentrating particularly on the question of how 'mind creates world'.” Let’s try to really feel what this implies. There’s certain intuition present in our soul which we try to put into words. Let’s try make an image of it:

So here we symbolize our intuition of the mind as the one true Cosmic container of reality producing its mental images, within which it becomes entangled. Now let’s really try to gain consciousness not only of the intuition we distill in the above symbol but also of the very distilling process. This can be itself presented as another image:

Now we try to grasp pictorially our own thinking process. We distill the concept of ‘mind’ from our intuitive background (larger puzzle piece), we distill the concept of the ‘world appearances’ (smaller piece) and in their logical fitting we feel cognitive satisfaction that we have a better grasp on reality. Needless to say, we can never see our thinking process from the side in this way. There’s no such vantage point because we’re always merged with the first-person perspective of the big arrow that thinks the mental images. As soon as we think the above image, the big arrow becomes only a symbol, while the true ‘arrow’ is our own thinking activity. This seems as an endless recursion for the intellect but it stops to be such once we realize that thinking can be experienced as an actual first-person creative force and not sought only in its own representations.

Now what do other philosophers do? The physicalist does something like this:

He distills the concept of spacetime and fits it with the puzzle pieces of matter waves. It’s similar with all the different ways in which we can look at the world – these are the twelve world outlooks that Ashvin shared. In all cases we live in some dim intuition about what existence is and through thinking we bring into focus certain aspects of that vague background intuition, which we now grasp as packets of intuition or simply – concepts (much like the colors of a blurry image become cleanly differentiated as we adjust the lens of a movie projector).

Now according to your first post you feel the idealistic outlook to be superior because it avoids the unnecessary dualism. Looking at the above two pictures they are pretty much identical, except that the latter assumes the mind to be one side of the coin while reality-in-itself is the other. The former simply avoids that duality by postulating that all is mind, it’s a coin with one side – a Mobius strip.

Here, however, we should be crystally clear and honest with ourselves that just saying ‘mind creates the world’ doesn’t make it a fact of experience. As far as the cognitive experience itself is concerned it is not that different from the thought “The Big Bang creates the world”. At this point we should already realize that the only way our philosophy could make a difference would be if we are to approach the actual experience of the mind creating the world.

If we’re not deluding ourselves, we should be perfectly clear that the mind that we know creates only thought-images. The moment we say that the mind creates the mineral (including the Cosmic bodies), plant, animal and human kingdoms, we no longer deal with immediate facts of experience but we are only supporting abstract thought-images in our mind. Today philosophers and book writers do that so casually that no one pays attention that in the end, we’re still dealing with thought-images that we put together as a jigsaw puzzle in our mind. These images may point to realities but we have to be transparently clear that in our mind we’re holding on to thought-images. Otherwise we simply succumb into fantasy.

If I say that the mind I presently experience creates the appearances of the planetary bodies, this is a fantasy. There’s nothing in my experience to support that claim. I only assume that the perception of a planet is of the same nature as a thought-image, even though I can't produce it in the same way. It is quite clear – if I can’t experience as a reality how thought-images take form, how much less could I expect to know something about the supposed Cosmic Mind creating worlds? We’re on to something. If we are to find as a reality how the Cosmic Mind weaves images, then we better find where this happens within ourselves, don’t we? If we can’t find an instance of the image creating process within ourselves, then we have no point of contact with the supposed Mind that creates worlds. The only thing we can do is to arrange a jigsaw model of that Mind.

All this is circumvented by modern mysticism. It is said “who says that the Mind should feel consciously active in world creation? Creation issues when the Mind falls in the illusion of being a cause. This creates the first Karmic polarity. The Mind triggers a hysteresis-like process where it dances with its out-of-phase shadows. The more it tries to intervene in the process, the more Karma it creates and the more the world explodes into a fractal-like landscape of appearances. Only spiraling the hysteresis process into unity resolves the initial disbalance and folds back the mystery of existence into the original nothingness.”

This is all good but in reality all we fold in the mystical state is the human intellect (and no one disputes that this is a necessary step). If this folding was equivalent to the folding of the Cosmic Mind, then all existence would cease, the original Karmic disbalance would be resolved and all Creation would be undone. Yet we continue to follow the worldline of a bodily perspective with folded intellect. When this crucial distinction is neglected we’re led to believe that we are already identical to the top container of reality. Here are images that I often use on this forum:

Here we imagine our vantage point of reality to be already at the Cosmic periphery. Then we meditate in such a way that we basically say “Just as my thoughts come and go, so the world’s appearances come and go as images in the mind.” Alright, but the very same thing can be said by any materialist. In fact they do say that. Take someone like Sam Harris, for example. This position is so broad and vague that it simply states the obvious. Our inner life indeed consists of images coming and going. But what makes the mystic’s experience Cosmic in nature? If my mind can still move only thought-images then what makes me different from the materialist? Only the belief we hold about the nature of the periphery. Both the mystic and the materialist agree that the periphery “is basically unintelligible and meaningless”, except that one calls it Nature, the other calls it Mind.

We can spend decades and centuries more in debating on forums, basically confronting images like the above. In the end they only differ in the pictures of the puzzle pieces and the corresponding packets of intuition (concepts). This is also what Federica wrote about.

If we’re serious about approaching reality and not only thought-images that we fantasize to be true, we have no other option but enter the only place where mind in truth creates something – our thinking. Then our interests change. We no longer want to have a conceptual image of how the mind creates the world but we leave the ground school and enter living field experience. Now our thinking process becomes the living creative process where intuition is distilled into thought-forms and thought-forms and other perceptions feedback in our intuition. Through this we begin to gain insight into something that simply doesn’t exist for us if our meditation consists only in observing images coming and going. We begin to intuit the constraints within which our thinking and imaginative process unfolds.

We can think of our corporeal nature similarly to a hard diving suit. It has certain joints and hinges that constrain the expressions of our will. Our imagination can be mobile, we may picture ourselves to be athletic and agile but when we flow that imagination into our will, it turns out that the degrees of freedom of our bodily suit don’t live up to our expectations. This is easy to grasp. What is vastly more difficult to grasp is that our intellectual life is also part of that suit. The big difference, however, is that we don’t have the same leeway that we have between our willing imagination and the perceived effects in the sensory spectrum. In others words, the fact that our willing imagination can wiggle and differ from the perceived effects in the senses, makes us conscious of the constraints. Yet in our intellectual apparatus we’re fully merged with the constraints – the movement of our thoughts, the way they click together, our knowledge, are all constrained within the joints and hinges of the suit. To find a leeway we need to do something. Simply observing thought-images coming and going, indeed leads to the intuition that there’s a leeway between the thought-forms and the mind but this is as far as it gets. As soon as we attain to that stage we simply decide that we are now identical to the top container of reality, even though we’re still heavily constrained. We simply dismiss these constraints as unessential and that they’ll simply evaporate as soon as we cross the threshold of death. So this is the same as the diver fully identifying with the suit and at some point dimly realizing that there’s miniscule leeway between his body and the constraints of the suit. Then the diver decides that he has resolved the mystery of existence. He is fully satisfied by the feeling that he’s not identical to the suit. He doesn’t feel any impetus to explore his inner degrees of freedom but simply spends time in the feeling of being the body and not the constraints. Then he continues to use the degrees of freedom of the suit to explain to others how they too are not identical to the suit and they can find freedom in the inexplicable feeling of the body.

This holds true in the highest degree about our thinking life, except that it is not at all that obvious. It is a great temptation to feel the miniscule leeway between our being and the intellectual mask, and then simply remain in that blissful feeling, believing that we have reached the edge of existence. Yet if we sense at least some reality in the suit metaphor, we should be clear that this leeway is only the beginning of our fully conscious evolution.

The suit metaphor by itself suggests what the proper meditative method should be. We need to differentiate our deeper intuitive activity from the intellectual joints, hinges and slots of the mask that continually format it. We need to find the intuition that there’s a being that is presently muted, with hands and feet tied. It only instinctively navigates through the dim intuitive context and recognizes itself only as far as it perceives the reflections of its activity within the intellectual slots of the suit. When we understand that, in our meditation we concentrate the thinking force through which we support the intellectual forms. When this force gains strength, it can resist the templating action of the mask and begins to be loosened from the intellectual slots – we begin to know ourselves in new degrees of freedom of our spiritual activity. We approach a form of higher Thinking, which imaginatively weaves in the opened leeway between our being and the intellectual slots. Within this unsuspected inner space, we not only perceive in symbolic reflections the constraints of the suit but we also find new degrees of freedom of our spiritual activity through which we can transform the elemental nature of that suit in ways that were in the most literal sense unimaginable in our prior intellectual cognition. They were unimaginable because before that, our imagination could only flow through the rigid joints and hinges of the suit. Since we couldn’t step out and recognize the constraints, the limits of our imagination were felt to be the unquestionable limits of reality. We can never approach this higher form of spiritual activity unless we find our being within the willing of the thinking force. If we simply want to feel as a top container of reality and let go of thoughts, we simultaneously let go also of the spiritual force through which alone we can know ourselves as a creative being.

This picture, even though only a thought-image no different than the others above, can be produced as a faithful symbol of inner experience. Once we have a tiny step in that direction a whole axis of evolution becomes comprehensible. This allows us to understand the constraints of reality in a completely new way. We understand that we live within a hierarchical gradient of spiritual beings (independent levels of mind if you will), which think the forms that act as constraints within which lesser beings evolve. As soon as a being evolves out of a certain level of constraints, it becomes consciously  and creatively responsible for them. In the exact same way, when we gradually increase the leeway between our being and our inner suit where our sympathies, antipathies, preferences, inclinations, beliefs, ideologies are etched, we begin to fully consciously transform them in order to make them creative expressions of our increasing degrees of freedom and deeper intuition of the laws of the Cosmos. At our stage of evolution we begin to work on our character, our soul life, but we’re still very far from being consciously creative in the life processes of our body and its physical structure. Yet in the eons of evolution, such stages are bound to be reached. Then in truth we reach levels of being that are world-creative, which can think worlds in which other spiritual perspectives evolve.

This might be a little too much to swallow in a single gulp but I just wanted to illustrate that what is here being talked about, is concerned with an actual path of inner experience. It is no longer mere interest in rearranging thought-images within the slots of our intellectual mask.