Cell Intelligence in Physiological & Morphological Spaces

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Cell Intelligence in Physiological & Morphological Spaces

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 pm
Federica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:45 pm
Federica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:40 pm

I think there is a chance. Also the essays you shared walk the reader there. And some readers can feel that something crucial is missed in the jump from the initial phenomenological inquiry into pure awareness. And that the gap can't be patched by a hologram of mystical wisdom.
I've posted this as a comment to Part V:

"May I submit the following note to your attention - keeping it brief, since the context is already provided by your discussion with Ashvin on Part X.

Speaking of contemporary idealism, you say: “while Kastrup’s, Velman’s, Taylor’s, and Shani’s idealistic approaches (...) take a step further in the right direction, they still lack a coherent evolutionary perspective and, most importantly, are too coarse-grained theoretical frameworks. By ‘coarse-grained’ I mean that idealism is a still too low-dimensional representation of a multidimensional reality.”

Here one could add that, even more crucially, the problem is that those idealisms are still… a *representation of reality*, that is, a model of reality from a third-person perspective, in which the role of thinking - in its real-time "thinking gestures" - is overlooked. However, as long as phenomenology is used as a partial approach, aiming at adding multidimensionality and evolutionary perspective to produce a new model - yet another model - in which the thinking who is arranging the thoughts jumps back into the blind spot and/or only *nominally* reintegrates itself, as subjective awareness (in fact, nothing other than yet another thought added to the rest of the model by a hidden hand) we are still not getting out of the bind. Am I misinterpreting your elaboration here?"

Here's the reply:

If you mean that my point is that more introspection on how the mind works, and from what it is conditioned, would be desirable, because otherwise we continuously overlook “the role of thinking in its activity,” then yes, that’s for sure. That’s also why I always invite people to complement the 3rd person with the 1st person approach. These also are two perspectives of the “multi-perspectival way of seeing.”

On the other hand, I’m well aware that what I write about “integral cosmologies,” may be seen as yet another extended model and representation of reality as well. Indeed, “cosmologies,” in itself, will never get us out of the circle of the mind to become able to realize how it works, and, thereby, see what stands beyond and behind it. Yet, I believe, the attempt (or should I call it “exercise”) to become aware that the world may be richer than previously believed, eventually looking at it with phenomenological approaches a la Goethe, or mindfulness, or meditative practices, etc., that could help us to get beyond.

Thanks, this is a very interesting dialogue for me, because it does seem like he is the most logical thinker through these issues and the most open to new possibilities for inner development that we have encountered so far. So I am still not sure where the resistance is in the realm of thinking, except that esoteric science may be seen as 'overthinking' the details of consciousness.

Here are the latest posts from Part X:

Marco: Sure thing. Far from any of my intentions to think illogically… (at least I hope I don’t… 😊) The mind has and will continue to play a decisive role in our evolution. Without developing the mind, we would fall back, and certainly could not harmonize it with higher principles. The mind principle exists precisely for that reason. It is a link between the material and subconscious realm with the supraconscious. In my view, the real reason that materialism, science and technology exist, isn’t so much because of their ability to provide us material wellbeing. Science, technology, the industrial revolution are, so to speak, a ‘trick’ of Nature to develop reason in this species we call homo sapiens (the “sapiens” is a joke… but I don’t digress.) It is the supraconscious Nature that says: “Hmmm…. How could I lure that being in developing its mind? Ok, let me make it become passionate about science, think about the world, the soul and the meaning of life, build tools and machines, and, eventually become also a blind materialist. This will develop its soul, and especially the mind.” That’s how evolution works. The real reasons that stand behind the events are occult to… well, our minds. But this transition is necessary.

I like the idea of dissonance felt in the hardcore materialistic or atheistic arguments, I can relate to that with a very vivid experience. Very often they have extremely well-developed logical minds, yet they fail to get elementary facts about our inner cognitive domains, let alone spiritual insights. I think what is missing isn’t so much a mental ability but an inner contact. The materialist is someone who lacks this inner contact with something within (exception is when it is only a matter of education, in that case, the contact exists but is denied, for some time, but, usually, that doesn’t last for the whole lifetime.) Or, to put it into other words, if one doesn’t transition from an empiric third-person logic extending it to a first-person logic (therefrom the frequent accusations that one or the other side is ”illogical”) no mental argument will convince them.

Anyway, when I read you, I feel consonance. I suspect that we are becoming both to…. well, logical again. I don’t think it is important to agree and know in every detail the workings of our mind, logic, rational workings, subconscious, etc. The most important aspect is that we agree that reason alone is not enough, it is not the ultimate tool for knowledge, there are vaster and more powerful principles that await us along our evolutionary journey. And now do whatever we can to get there.

Response: That's a great way to put it! Indeed it seems the supraconscious 'lures' our inner development by presenting ever-new contexts in which we can exercise our soul-spiritual faculties and develop new ones. Of course, the problem arises when we forget this spiritual telos in the age of materialism, and instead consider our current faculties and what they can achieve within the decohered context as ends-in-themselves. That ignorance of the truthful flow of reality is the only thing that threatens further evolution.

I think you would agree that material science and practically all other modern philosophies and sciences fail to take the logic of their own findings seriously enough. If they did, then they would naturally be led by that logic to a remembrance of the spiritual telos, for ex. through research into the facts of natural and cultural evolution. You have pointed that out with respect to BK and analytic idealism in these essays as well. When we hear that "Nature is what MAL looks like from the outside", it is only natural to wonder about the first-person perspective(s) that animate the rhythmical orbits of the planets around the Sun, the progression of the years and seasons, the development of cultural epochs, and so forth. Shouldn't we be able to investigate (or introspect) these perspectives if they are essentially the same and entirely continuous with our own consciousness? Just as we intuitively experience the first-person agency that is responsible for the stream of our inner voice perceptions, can we also experience something of the agency responsible for the higher-order perceptual flow of Nature?

This is a natural path of investigation that BK and many others simply decline to pursue. For whatever rationalized reason, it is considered a waste of time and effort. So I think we have to be wary of falling into that same trap ourselves. For example, we know the stages of our evolutionary journey are overlapping, just like the physical, organic, emotional, and mental spaces are overlapping. In a sense, a single human organism is a *superposition* of all the different stages of evolution from the primordial 'past' to the present. What is most 'past' we know as the physical spectrum of mechanical interactions that run their course as a matter of necessity - they don't seem to budge in relation to our creative intents and activity. It is only within the mental space that we come into contact with the present, where the creative intents and the resulting perceptual flow (such as the inner voice stream when we intend to think about something) are entirely synchronized or 'in-phase'.

Following this same logic further, we can say the supra-rational spaces that signify our future development are also overlapping with the other spaces. That means the powerful and creative cognitive principles that await us along our evolutionary journey are already here - the Kingdom is at hand, so to speak. Something of their highest essence is already precipitating into our current cognitive consciousness and making our insights, such as we are sharing right now, possible. The skill is to learn how to more finely attune our current cognitive space, where reality is most 'in focus' for the average human, to those higher germinal principles. At the same time, it only stands to reason that this skill has already been developed to a high degree in others and perhaps that is the technique by which the supra-rational Cosmos lures us toward its higher potential. There is a gradient of Wisdom that flows through a chain of relative perspectives and into the average human population such that broader spheres of beings can participate in the co-creative work of evolution. In fact, we can understand all of human cultural development as a phenomenal manifestation of this gradient.

Is this something you have considered and what are your thoughts on that?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

More comments on Part V - From a coarse-grained idealism to a multi-modal conscious universe:

My comment: More introspection is surely needed, which points back to the question of practice: how to understand introspection so that it achieves its purpose to bring knowledge to life from the inside of the living thinking gestures, not from within their precipitates (the thought-contents one is normally conscious of). As you imply, the risk is dualism: an arrangement of thought-contents on one side (cosmology) complemented, on the other, by other thoughts *about* consciousness that, however, do not integrate with the cosmology, if what is brought forth are more collapsed thoughts, rather than the upstream higher order gestures that shape the process of reality. Hence the question about your approach to introspection, beyond "non-dual" surrendering of all activities to rest in awareness: would you say that there is an intersection between your practice and the phenomenological approach taken in meditative concentration? https://open.substack.com/pub/spiritana ... medium=web

MM's reply: Well, I would not go so far in presenting this ‘integral cosmology’ as a real “practice” other than inviting the reader to take a multi-perspectival approach and learning to switch 1st- to 3rd-person perspective. However, as I alluded to previously, its intersection with the “phenomenological approach taken in meditative concentration” is Sri Aurobindo’s integral yoga. I find it the most integral both as cosmology and as a spiritual practice. On the other hand, since everyone has their own preferences, resonances, and inclinations I don’t emphasize this too much. There are so many phenomenological approaches out there, and I don’t feel like adding another one. Because one can come from entirely different paths and reach the same conclusions. If I write about an ‘integral cosmology’ it is because I like to have both a mental and intuitive picture augmented by a modern scientific perspective of all there is and its relation to deeper spiritual truths and that one can discover by going inwards. The more I do so, the more I feel it being the most coherent and universal vision of life, meaning and the universe. And let us not forget that all introspective approaches always have some sort of cosmology behind them.

I will go through your post. Looks interesting. Will comment on it soon.

Ashvin - how great that you have published your phenomenological essay on truthfulness!
Don't you want to open it for comments? MM: "Looks interesting. Will comment on it soon."

Fun fact: in the sample of the book "Spirit calls nature" (that I still have to read) we find the 'two faces or a vase' illustration that you have in your essay :)
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Federica wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 am More comments on Part V - From a coarse-grained idealism to a multi-modal conscious universe:

My comment: More introspection is surely needed, which points back to the question of practice: how to understand introspection so that it achieves its purpose to bring knowledge to life from the inside of the living thinking gestures, not from within their precipitates (the thought-contents one is normally conscious of). As you imply, the risk is dualism: an arrangement of thought-contents on one side (cosmology) complemented, on the other, by other thoughts *about* consciousness that, however, do not integrate with the cosmology, if what is brought forth are more collapsed thoughts, rather than the upstream higher order gestures that shape the process of reality. Hence the question about your approach to introspection, beyond "non-dual" surrendering of all activities to rest in awareness: would you say that there is an intersection between your practice and the phenomenological approach taken in meditative concentration? https://open.substack.com/pub/spiritana ... medium=web

MM's reply: Well, I would not go so far in presenting this ‘integral cosmology’ as a real “practice” other than inviting the reader to take a multi-perspectival approach and learning to switch 1st- to 3rd-person perspective. However, as I alluded to previously, its intersection with the “phenomenological approach taken in meditative concentration” is Sri Aurobindo’s integral yoga. I find it the most integral both as cosmology and as a spiritual practice. On the other hand, since everyone has their own preferences, resonances, and inclinations I don’t emphasize this too much. There are so many phenomenological approaches out there, and I don’t feel like adding another one. Because one can come from entirely different paths and reach the same conclusions. If I write about an ‘integral cosmology’ it is because I like to have both a mental and intuitive picture augmented by a modern scientific perspective of all there is and its relation to deeper spiritual truths and that one can discover by going inwards. The more I do so, the more I feel it being the most coherent and universal vision of life, meaning and the universe. And let us not forget that all introspective approaches always have some sort of cosmology behind them.

Ashvin - how great that you have published your phenomenological essay on truthfulness!
Don't you want to open it for comments? MM: "Looks interesting. Will comment on it soon."

Fun fact: in the sample of the book "Spirit calls nature" (that I still have to read) we find the 'two faces or a vase' illustration that you have in your essay :)

MM: "The essay doesn't allow for comments. So, I comment here.

I resonate very much with this “phenomenology of intentional activity.” Realigning our intent, feelings, and thoughts is something badly needed in our times. For sure we must learn to be aware of our thoughts, feelings, and sensations and how they work under the radar of our frenetic daily surface perceptions. I would add that realignment means also transformation and transmutation. You also refer to the Rubin figure. I do this frequently to illustrate the so-called 'binding problem.' However, it is not my experience that it is through forces of logical thinking that we rediscover the Logos. Because, at least for me, the Logos isn’t logical. Or to put it in other words, it has a completely different logic than the forces of logical thinking. Anyhow, if this is your experience, then that’s fine. I feel words are so poor here to debate on these things. I guess we feel the same, even though we might express it differently and come from different backgrounds. Aligning the local with the Cosmic higher-order intents and returning to the archetypal makes very much sense to me. 😊"

Reply: Marco - in fact, Ashvin is the author of this essay that I took the liberty to link to above. I am sure he will respond.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am
Federica wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 am More comments on Part V - From a coarse-grained idealism to a multi-modal conscious universe:

I resonate very much with this “phenomenology of intentional activity.” Realigning our intent, feelings, and thoughts is something badly needed in our times. For sure we must learn to be aware of our thoughts, feelings, and sensations and how they work under the radar of our frenetic daily surface perceptions. I would add that realignment means also transformation and transmutation. You also refer to the Rubin figure. I do this frequently to illustrate the so-called 'binding problem.' However, it is not my experience that it is through forces of logical thinking that we rediscover the Logos. Because, at least for me, the Logos isn’t logical. Or to put it in other words, it has a completely different logic than the forces of logical thinking. Anyhow, if this is your experience, then that’s fine. I feel words are so poor here to debate on these things. I guess we feel the same, even though we might express it differently and come from different backgrounds. Aligning the local with the Cosmic higher-order intents and returning to the archetypal makes very much sense to me. 😊"

Reply: Marco - in fact, Ashvin is the author of this essay that I took the liberty to link to above. I am sure he will respond.

Thanks, Federica. I didn't realize the post didn't allow for comments, they should be allowed now.

"The Logos isn't logical" :) I know what he is saying, though - the Logos can't be reduced to discursive logic employed by normal reasoning. Yet as long as the overlap isn't concretely perceived, it won't dawn that even through our normal reasoning we are living in the higher supra-rational spaces, only in a highly aliased form.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 pm
Federica wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am

Thanks, Federica. I didn't realize the post didn't allow for comments, they should be allowed now.

"The Logos isn't logical" :) I know what he is saying, though - the Logos can't be reduced to discursive logic employed by normal reasoning. Yet as long as the overlap isn't concretely perceived, it won't dawn that even through our normal reasoning we are living in the higher supra-rational spaces, only in a highly aliased form.

Yes, and perhaps here Cleric's Moire patterns and other aliasing visualizations could help...
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm Yes, and perhaps here Cleric's Moire patterns and other aliasing visualizations could help...

Yes, for sure! Here is my response in the meantime:

Thanks for the feedback, Marco.

I think that I understand what you mean by "the Logos isn't logical", although it sounds a bit paradoxical : ) It can't be reduced to discursive logic employed by intellectual reasoning, is what I take you to mean, and I agree. By "forces", I meant to point to the underlying essence of any possible logical structure, any possible lawfulness within the transformation of experiential states.

Yet it's most important in our time to discern the concrete *overlap* between intellectual reasoning and any higher-order mode of cognition or consciousness. We could say the former is an aliased aperture of more holistic consciousness. Through intellectual reasoning, we have to micromanage partial transformations through conceptual states that would otherwise transform more fluidly and effortlessly, like a sort of 'quantum tunneling'.

An interesting case of this is the panoramic life tableau that is often mentioned in the context of OBEs and NDEs. Normally we experience our life of memory as dim mental pictures that go back in a linear sequence to early childhood. Even at this level, memory provides a lawful structure of experience from which we can extract certain regularities and principles that helps us navigate the incoming flow of experience, at least to some extent that allows us to understand Earthly experience and fulfill Earthly tasks. That is the basis for our life of intellectual reasoning.

Yet through cognitive training, we can come to intentionally experience the holistic memory tableau that is otherwise stumbled into when someone accidentally drowns or what have you. It is a loosening of the vital body from the physical. Then what is normally experienced as dim mental pictures extending in linear time flow becomes more space-like, a vivid tableau through which our spirit reflects its existence and discerns the holistic threads running through its life destiny. Of course, this doesn't mean our memory has changed in any way from what we experience through intellectual memory - we aren't going back and altering that intellectual memory, only penetrating to its deeper and more living foundations. Put another way, we are consciously experiencing *how* it is that we are able to extract principles from memory intuition and reason intellectually.

Would you agree this is an example of Logos, of higher-order logical structure that is nevertheless continuous with our intellectual memory and reasoning faculty which relies on that memory?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Thank you for the very interesting dialogue!

It's clear that Marco is still inclined to see intellectual activity as more or less orthogonal to the higher Logos principle. It will be interesting to see if he'll be willing to consider that a higher being expresses through the rigidified intellectual ego. And that through concentration of thinking we can differentiate our being as the fluid spiritual 'sap' ossifying into thought-forms.

After so much experience here on the forum, it seems that if one doesn't want to find this inner mobile spiritual activity, that dresses into the mineral thoughts, there's little chance to go further, since the person would still prefer to dream and expect the Logos from some not yet discovered exotic direction, usually far in the future.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Now in response to: "...yes, all introspective approaches can be thought about as having some sort of cosmology behind them. Nevertheless, the only ones that are true - the only ones that are real in today's evolutionary phase - don't have a cosmology behind them. Rather, they literally are the cosmology, and the cosmology is the introspection. To start experiencing that - beyond the mere words that are not enough - to start understanding the cosmology in its fine-grained quality on the same side of our thinking will, a path of true practice is necessary. A smorgasbord of practices cannot work, neither can the concept of consciousness as the subjective witness..."

MM: "I agree. But, again, with the present essay on the integral cosmology , I hadn’t the intention to introduce some new introspective approach, rather it is a description of how the (inner/outer/subjective/objective, etc.) cosmos appears from the standpoint of that introspective approach. If you wish, one could say that I don’t offer much more than what BK & al. do, other than pointing at an extended philosophical framework. And the concept of consciousness as subjective witness was only a starting point to go inward and learn to make a distinction between mind and consciousness. Of course, the subject, the personality, is yet another construct. But sometimes one must remain on the surface to avoid shocks..."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Here are the latest posts from the truthfulness essay. I wish there were more formatting options on substack, using ** for italics doesn't feel the same :)

Marco: Yes, it is a higher-order "logical" structure with a holistic apprehension and comprehension that is continuous with the ordinary intellect. But only in the sense that the reasoning faculty is the lower band of a continuous spectrum. The "overlap" isn't a complementarity. Holism is an inherent aspect of the supraconscious Logos and that that doesn't need the kind of "logic" that people associate to that word. There are also other aspects. For example, there are functions of the body that can't be dissected by human logical rules. There are psychological forces that act and behave according to rules that don’t allow us to cram them into a logical framework. As I wrote, world's history isn’t a rational or logical process, either. It is determined by forces and laws that go way beyond forces of logic. And the Logos–that is, the divine intelligence– can be pretty much illogical. Logic is a lower function of the supraconscious that projects itself into the forms of cognition of the dense planes of life and matter. As described in my essay, it is a pale reflection of it, and its main duty is to serve as a bridge to connect the lower with the higher planes—therefrom the “overlap.”

Again, I’m not saying that logic is something bad or negative. I use it all the time. We agree that it has its function and its place in the evolutionary history. The only danger we should be aware of is that it is a double-edged sword. It can help us to reach great goals but could also obstruct our evolution if we associate it powers it doesn’t have. Because if one takes that lower band of the spectrum for all the spectrum, then one hits a wall. Part of the reasons of the turmoil the world is going through is, among other things, caused by the logical mind. There comes a point in the evolutionary journey of consciousness that the great insight come through a “silenced logic” that doesn’t try to analyze everything. Only then can the higher intuitional, inspirational and trans-mental faculties manifest and, BTW, open us to the "logic of the heart."

This is why I had a reservation reading about "forces of logical thinking." I hope that has been clarified.

Response: Sure, I resonate with all of the above. We can't reduce the experiential transformation within supra-rational spaces, which we could also distinguish as imaginative, inspirative, and intuitive spaces, to the intellectual logic that we are accustomed to in sensory life and apply as a default framework for understanding. Yet there is something else that needs to be clarified now - what is the ability of those higher 'forces' to *spiritualize* the space of intellectual logic? To resurrect the latter into a new imaginative life, so that it acquires new degrees of freedom to explore the higher spaces and transduce the higher experiences into clear-cut conceptual expressions? We may be speaking of similar things but we can flesh it out further to help synchronize our perspectives.

Let's try to make this a bit more concrete. For example, when we speak of the various 'spaces' or 'principles' of consciousness - sensory, vital, psychological, mental, imaginative, inspired, intuitive - as you and I have been doing in various places, I am sure you agree we are taking an intuition of our first-person transformation of inner activity as it meets varied degrees of resistance, as it takes on unique 'transformational signatures', and *focusing* that intuition into various concepts and their logical relations. It is like we are using a lens or prism to refract the pure white Light of this overall intuition into an array of colors and patterns. This helps us refine our intuition and also makes it so that anyone else can reason through the relations that are described, according to 'human logical rules', and resonate with something of the first-person intuitive gestures from which the concepts were focused. They can start to probe that intuitive space for themselves.

For a person who was not conscious of this relationship between the conceptual labels and the underlying intuitive orientation they symbolize, the whole discussion of 'spaces' and so forth would sound like we are analyzing and dissecting the sublime and ineffable Consciousness, trying to cram its essence into a mere logical framework. In fact, this is probably the biggest source of misunderstanding for mystics and idealists who confront the details of supersensible research. They simply don't realize that the conceptual relations have been focused from *within* the first-person intuitive context. It is similar to what we do when we want to remember what we experienced on a certain day last week, move our cognitive activity into a certain 'space' of memory intuition, and then focus various mental pictures and concepts from within the space that help orient our intuition. If the supersensible research is not understood in a similar way, perhaps because such research is assumed impossible to begin with, then it will understandably be looked upon with suspicion.

So we see that the very *same* logical framework can be experienced in completely different ways, depending on how it is approached and understood. Put another way, it depends on how intuitively sensitive the one approaching it is to the process by which mental pictures and concepts condense from the higher spaces in the first place. Even the most secular and rigid philosophical and scientific theories about reality have condensed in this same way, only the people holding on to those theories as 'explanations' of phenomenal processes don't realize it. They don't understand the conceptual frameworks as symbolic testimonies to the first-person intuitive context from which they were focused. If that was better understood, the logical relations between concepts would be *experienced* less like self-contained models, and more like protruding islands that are part of an invisible archipelago underwater, or the overtones modulated over deeper sub-harmonics.

In that sense, our experience of intellectual reasoning at the surface should not be confused for its deeper substructure, for what makes it appear and work, just as we shouldn't confuse the protruding islands above water for the underwater archipelago. As a simple visualization, we could refer to this overlay of Moiré patterns (developed by a friend). We can say the largest circle is the holistic intuitive space, moving towards the much more convoluted intellectual space at the center, what you referred to as the lower band of a continuous spectrum.

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XfSXRG

With each additional circle, there are increasingly complicated patterns as we approach the intellectual soul space where we have our relatively disorderly emotions, thought-arrangements, and perceptual structures. Periodically, however, the circles completely align - this corresponds to what was discussed in the essay as the 'concentric alignment'. Even at our intellectual stage of development, we periodically experience these conjunctions and they manifest as 'insights' into the flow of existence, as dim but powerful and inspiring understanding of the holistic context in which our thought-life is embedded. These are the sorts of insights by which we are inspired to write our essays here. Through the skillful technique of concentration, however, these conjunctions can be held open for longer durations and be experienced more intensely. More of the archetypal forces can gradually inflow the intellectual space and spiritualize its concepts.

This applies not only to the categorical distinctions we are making between the 'spaces' of Consciousness, but also to much finer-resolution details and distinctions that can be made in the spheres of culture and nature which reflect the living transformations within those experiential spaces. It is in this way that what was previously understood as a crude analytical dissection of spiritual reality can be redeemed as a means of orienting and refining intuition of the existential flow at ever-deeper levels. The space of intellectual logic is progressively spiritualized so that it serves much higher ideals of collective human existence. Eventually, even the deeper subconscious spaces can be spiritualized. Here we have the very process of evolution - the logical mind becomes not only a conceptual bridge between the below and the above, but a bridge that works right through the feeling and will impulses of humanity.

Does this make sense?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

A couple more:

MM: Yes, that's right. Wasn't this one of the central points of my essay? That of a superconscious dimension that, in humans, manifests as insights and inspirations. Something working by an evolutionary process in and through our life, mind and body. I didn't emphasize the techniques of concentration to open the mind (and more than the mind,) towards higher intuitive spheres, but pointed out how the cosmology reflects a simplified version of Sri Aurobindo’s vision. All his yoga is a technique of concentration aimed at the progressive spiritualization of the human existence.

So, finally, I don't feel there is any discrepancy. I only wonder how we got here! 😄

Yeah, although I am still not sure what is the role of developing the cognitive forces in Aurobindo's integral yoga. I have browsed some websites with summaries of the exercises but it still isn't clear to me.

I wonder if you can share an example of supersensible research that has been communicated through integral yoga? I know he speaks of the different principles of the human being, planes of existence, the involution and evolution, etc., but is there any finer resolution on the stages of involution and evolution, the sorts of experiences we go through during sleep or between death and rebirth, or anything similar?

I'm not asking because I think it is important to obsess over the details at an intellectual level, but because the revelation of such details reflects an ability to permeate the higher spaces with lucid cognition and transduce supersensible experiences into precise conceptual frameworks.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."