Cell Intelligence in Physiological & Morphological Spaces

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Federica

Re: Cell Intelligence in Physiological & Morphological Spaces

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:10 pm Thanks, Federica, I think your comment and his response opened up a fruitful way to introduce the phenomenological essays. It's always good when the other person is the first to mention "phenomenology"! But we will see if he follows up on them. I linked the essays on Google docs since you had already linked the forum and I'm not sure if he wants to get entangled with a forum environment just yet.

Thanks Marco. This combined with your response to Federica above gives me a great sense of what you are speaking of. I think you are correct that seeking out earth-shattering spiritual experiences should never be the starting point or even the goal, but at best only a second-order effect of learning more intimately about the structure of our everyday thinking and perceptual experience. Not by building abstract intellectual models of that experience, but through first-person phenomenological investigation in the spirit of Goethe.

I think it is largely unsuspected how greatly such an approach can orient our intuition of the spiritual 'topology' that structures the normal flow of experience. Our normal cognitive life is so limited in its 'range of movement' that it hardly has any first-person experience to work with, its dataset is limited to immediate sensory phenomena and the abstract configuration of philosophical, scientific, religious, etc. concepts.

Asa metaphor, we could imagine that we spent our entire life using our hands to pick up things, move objects, press buttons, turn keys, scratch itches, and so forth. Then one day, through a flash of insight, we look at the hand and realize we can make it the object of contemplation - we can investigate the hand itself and learn to know its constraints and possibilities from within, by moving and bending it in the most varied ways. This is a limited analogy because there is only so much we can accomplish by investigating our hands, but there is no such limit on exploring the dynamics and degrees of freedom of our cognitive activity.

When it comes to the movements of our cognitive activity, we are not bounded by any spatial considerations. Our hand can only bump into objects within its zone of reach and its zone of spatial extension, yet our thinking can awaken deeper within its flow by 'bumping into' more holistic thought-perceptions, more holistic constellations of meaning. It can find its reflection not only in fragmented sensory impressions or dim concepts that provide feedback on personal and myopic tasks, but in fluid imaginations that provide feedback on its whole life destiny within the broader context of Earthly evolution.

On that note, I invite you to check out the following phenomenological essays written by a friend whenever you have the time. It would be great to hear what you think!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QVo ... sp=sharing

Brilliant! You have nailed the balance between resonating with Marco's points and complementing them with the appropriate adjacents thoughts. And thank you for bringing Cleric's essays to Substack, that's a masterstroke! :D
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 pm Brilliant! You have nailed the balance between resonating with Marco's points and complementing them with the appropriate adjacents thoughts. And thank you for bringing Cleric's essays to Substack, that's a masterstroke! :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, he said he would take a look at them, but... it seems his current thinking about it is exactly as we have discussed innumerable times with the 'dualism of non-dualism', as Cleric addressed in the post to Don Salmon. This is not a good sign for the essays because such thinking tends to view a genuine phenomenology as getting lost in analytic details while ignoring the pure experiential totality.

I will take a look at the essays. Meanwhile… Doesn’t our thinking “awaken deeper within its flow” by stopping to try to think? I mean, doesn’t the first-person phenomenological investigation of the totality capture its “more holistic constellations of meaning” better when the mind surrenders in a silent pause that waits for the answer while contemplating the phenomena as they are without trying to intervene? For example, letting the senses like hearing and seeing bridge an inner consciousness that goes beyond the thought and without the mind always tripping its emergence?

I have an idea for a response, though, which would stress that the mind needs to remain both active and receptive at the same time, balancing the polarity.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:38 pm
Federica wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 pm Brilliant! You have nailed the balance between resonating with Marco's points and complementing them with the appropriate adjacents thoughts. And thank you for bringing Cleric's essays to Substack, that's a masterstroke! :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, he said he would take a look at them, but... it seems his current thinking about it is exactly as we have discussed innumerable times with the 'dualism of non-dualism', as Cleric addressed in the post to Don Salmon. This is not a good sign for the essays because such thinking tends to view a genuine phenomenology as getting lost in analytic details while ignoring the pure experiential totality.

I will take a look at the essays. Meanwhile… Doesn’t our thinking “awaken deeper within its flow” by stopping to try to think? I mean, doesn’t the first-person phenomenological investigation of the totality capture its “more holistic constellations of meaning” better when the mind surrenders in a silent pause that waits for the answer while contemplating the phenomena as they are without trying to intervene? For example, letting the senses like hearing and seeing bridge an inner consciousness that goes beyond the thought and without the mind always tripping its emergence?

I have an idea for a response, though, which would stress that the mind needs to remain both active and receptive at the same time, balancing the polarity.

Yes.... but at the same time it's good that there seems to be a genuine question and interest. I'm sure you'll find the right response.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:09 pm Yes.... but at the same time it's good that there seems to be a genuine question and interest. I'm sure you'll find the right response.

Very true. Here is the response:

Thanks for checking out the essays! It may also be helpful to keep the following response in mind when working through them.

When it comes to exploring the inner dynamics of the mind, I would say we need to become both active and receptive at the same time, balancing the head polarity (sometimes associated with the 'brow chakra'). I like the metaphor of dancing here - when we dance with a partner, we can't just become completely passive like a soft rag and let the other person carry our weight, yet we also can't simply impose whatever movements we want on our partner or we fall out of synchronization. So instead we need to be very sensitive to our partner's movements, to use them as feedback for our own movements, while at the same time remaining active in those movements.

Any artistic practice can also be a good metaphor here, like sculpting. We seek to impress our imaginative activity into the form of the clay, for which we need to be active with our hands, but at the same time, we need to be receptive to how our movements are shaping the clay substance and let that perception flow back to our imaginative activity and adjust our hand movements accordingly. We can imagine the same principle at work for learning and playing any instrument. A delicate balance of activity-receptivity needs to be reached for our thoughts and movements to faithfully reflect our musical intuition. When such a balance is stricken to a high degree, we often refer to it as entering a 'flow state'.

So, in that sense, when contemplating the meaningful transformation of our phenomenological experience, we actively will our thinking within the spaces of transformation (ideal, emotional, sensory) yet also remain receptive to how the meaning we perceive in response should continually guide our thinking deeper along the same direction or in altogether new directions. Of course, this is not aimed at modeling some 'external' reality with our thoughts, as is the standard practice, but *discerning the place of our thinking within reality*, i.e. how our cognitive activity fits into the flow of reality and harmonizes or clashes with that flow.

Just as in artistic practice, it is truly a new *skill* that we are developing, which does not only remain within the cognitive space but extends into the spaces of feeling and instinct. We aren't trying to cram the entire World into our intellect, into some theory, but to experience our intervening intellect as the outermost expression of ideal processes that are much more mysterious and holier than anything we normally experience or conceive. The linear thoughts are experienced as the overtones modulated over much deeper sub-harmonics. Indeed, sacrificing the verbal intellect, putting its intervening chatter on pause, is a precondition for reaching these more awakened states, but then our cognition freed from the verbal formatting can still remain active within the deeper strata.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Here are the latest posts:

Marco: Right. Mind is in its nature an active faculty, but it works best when receiving the suggestion from above. And one should not confuse silence with passivity. The activity of consciousness is best in the silence of the mind (with “mind” I mean the analytic, rational and intellectual cognition, in contrast to the supraconscious trans-rational “mentality”.) I don’t mean mind as synonymous with all cognition. Because, again, there could be a suprarational cognition that has nothing to do with logic, reason, rational discourse, etc. You might be familiar with the three gunas of the Indian philosophy: rajas (restlessness), sattwa (equanimity, equilibrium), and tamas (inertia.) Sattwa is not tamas. A receptive mind is not inert, it is sattwic. Meaning that it can eventually do its job actively, but only because of a higher non-mental intimation. Mystics compare the mind with the reflecting surface of a lake shining the moon’s rays. One can discern the moon only if the rippling of the lake does not distort its image. This doesn’t mean that the mind hasn’t a function anymore. At our stage of evolution it remains absolutely indispensable, when we have to reflect in the practice, organizing, speaking or writing (the example of the artistic practice you do is a good example) it remains necessary. There is also a physical mind in the body that is also quite ignorant, stubborn, repetitive, yet essential because, when it doesn’t go its way, it can be a phenomenal tool of technical precision and both remain central in learning skills for, say, playing a musical instrument, acquiring technical skills, etc. But the mind and the physical mind are mostly ignorant receiving ends, not the original creative powers. They best work when they are receptive to what goes beyond them and become active only in the practical realization of what the inner inspiration suggests. I believe that most great scientists that made great discoveries and who worked with their “imaginative activity” had the best ideas when the imaginative power transcended the mind. The same can be said of the notorious ‘flow state’. The question is whether it is a flow from the mind or despite the mind? While the “feeling” (the revelatory one, not the fear-based) may have yet another source in the soul (that’s why I have this fixation with “soul-factors”… 😉 ) Don’t we often say that our mind suggests something but the heart does otherwise? What is that? A subconscious intellectual activity or an inner feeling (cognition) that goes beyond the rational? And, yes, let’s not cram the entire world into our intellect, but it is not my experience that the source of the “ideal processes“ come from the “intervening intellect”. Their flows is much more intense without the intellect intervening.

Anyway, we don’t have to agree. That’s my different perception of the thing… And, I like your idea of the dance between receptivity and activity. Reminds me of the Vedic organization of the faculties of consciousness. They also were talking about mind, seeing, hearing, feeling, speaking etc. as receptive, active, subjective, objective, etc., from a perspective that nowadays we would label as ‘phenomenological’. I would not be surprised if all this was well known in ancient times and we are only reinventing the wheel. 😊

Response: Right, the mind, in the sense you are using it, is not the original creative power and yet is indispensable at our stage of evolution, as you point out. The source of ideal processes is not the intervening intellect, but rather the latter is the former's *outer physiognomy*, like a person's countenance is the outer physiognomy of their inner states of being. In no way can we work solely with the properties of the countenance, measuring and relating them in various ways, to recover an understanding of the inner states that shape them. At best, the countenance can only act as a symbol that allows for a 'portal of resonance' between our soul life and the soul life of another being, provided we are deeply interested in the latter and make some effort to understand it. It is the same with our intellectual concepts in relation to the deeper, supra-rational processes. The former can act only as symbols that help us intuitively orient to the deeper processes that gave birth to and shape them.

We know there are varied sorts of lawfulness within our thinking experience. The lawfulness that we intuit from the transformation of billiard balls in motion is not exactly the same as that which we intuit from the growth, decay, and rebirth of plant matter. Likewise, the latter is not the same as that which we intuit from the transformations of our soul life, the rhythms of sympathies, emotions, impulses, etc. that we share in common with animals. And none of those are the same as our intuition for the transformations of our thought-life which we generally describe as "logic". This is the whole phenomenological reason why the physical, vital, astral, and mental principles have been distinguished, because people over the ages have intuited their varied transformation signatures (the intuition of the mental transformation arrived relatively more recently). None of these principles are reducible to the others, yet we know they overlap in various ways and influence one another.

There is also an interesting *asymmetry* in the principles. We can imagine experiencing the mental principle in the absence of the others (even if this does not actually happen in the flow of life), but we can't imagine the lower principles in the absence of the mental principle. The very act of 'imagining' implicates the mental principle and its lawfulness. This points us to the fact that there is something fundamental about the logical lawfulness of thinking, even if we don't have a clear idea of what that something is. For example, if we add two numbers together, like 84 and 167, we can sense that we are doing something, making certain 'thinking gestures' to move around the mathematical puzzle pieces in various ways, bumping them into each other and eventually fitting them together. People may carry this operation out in slightly different ways, but we all make the thinking gestures. What we are inwardly *doing* to make those gestures nevertheless remains mysterious. Normally we are preoccupied with the results of the operation and don't try to observe the gestures we are making.

So we don't know the lawfulness of the lower principles directly but only through the prism of the mental principle, and even with the latter there is some mystery as to how exactly our mathematical thoughts, for ex., transform through mental space. Yet within the mental space, we at least have some lucid sense of being *creatively involved* in the gestures that are responsible for the transformation. We can't say the same for any of the other spaces. Healthy reasoning shows that just because we can follow the transformations of mineral-mechanical elements, organic beings, and soul beings with our thoughts, and notice their distinctions, that doesn't mean we actually understand why those transformations occur at any deep level. We certainly don't feel creatively involved in the deeper physical, organic, and psychic processes. Hence we still have the 'problem of abiogenesis' and the 'hard problem of consciousness'. These are only problems for reductionist thinking and it's quite possible that expanding the mind into the superconscious will also shed light on the deeper nature of the soul, organic, and mineral lawfulness.

What we experience as 'logic' at the intellectual level must have some relation to the supra-rational creative faculty, and the latter must also be related to the lower subconscious principles (perhaps as an image to a reflection), if we are not to stray into dualism. For example, when we encounter certain hardcore materialistic or atheistic arguments about how everything in our living experience, including our consciousness itself, must be driven by mindless and mechanical interactions, most of us have probably felt a certain amount of pain. When beholding the cognitive dissonance required for such arguments, it strikes a chord with not only our rational mind but somewhere deeper in our being. Probably not as much pain as we feel when we accidentally burn ourselves, but still the very experience of the argument falls somewhere on the gradient of pain. It's not necessarily the content of the argument that causes the pain, but the underlying dissonance that the content reflects. We can intuitively sense that the person's deeper soul factors are grinding against each other in very unpleasant ways for them to express their thoughts in such a blatantly contradictory fashion.

In that sense, 'logic' can be understood as our ability to perceive consonances and dissonances between deeper psychic and ideal processes, even if we don't have any clear idea of what the latter are. By thinking logically, we dimly probe the supra-rational spaces and extract fragments from them, fitting those fragments together in ways that strike resonant chords and create consonance. When we think illogically, it is as if we are out of tune and out of sync with the deeper relations, leading to a potentially painful cacophony of tones. This is why I would say the logical mind is indispensable at our current stage, not only because it helps us with the tasks you mentioned, but also because it helps develop the *forces* that are needed to penetrate the supra-rational spaces with lucid cognition of the ideal consonances and dissonances that are characteristic across the whole spectrum of reality. These forces are also characteristic of the original creative power. It's only that in the higher spaces of consciousness, we don't only work with fragmented extracts of the ideal processes that can be related with one another through discursive logic, but with a much more holistic spectrum of those processes. The latter is what also projects into our normal thinking experience as the lawfulness of the psychic, organic, and physical domains.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:45 pm (...)
Woah, that was a lot!
But I believe it's appropriate, and will not be misunderstood - though I've had a second of hesitation for the word "astral" for "soul" :) In parallel, there is Part V, where much of what you point out is also elaborated well, but the last crucial connections are not made, so that it ends up in consciousness as the subjective witness, sat chit ananda. I've been hesitating to write a short comment, but I think I'll wait for now.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:56 pm
Woah, that was a lot!
But I believe it's appropriate, and will not be misunderstood - though I've had a second of hesitation for the word "astral" for "soul" :) In parallel, there is Part V, where much of what you point out is also elaborated well, but the last crucial connections are not made, so that it ends up in consciousness as the subjective witness, sat chit ananda. I've been hesitating to write a short comment, but I think I'll wait for now.

Yeah, if he responds, I am guessing the main issue will be this dichotomy that we have encountered so many times introduced between the logical mind and the 'pure awareness'. It's a very difficult thing to address because the person on the other side feels the pure experiencing/awareness etc. is a phenomenological reality just like sensations, emotions, thoughts, and intention. Even if they have not reached a mystical state via meditation, they have heard many reports from others who have reached these states and describe it as such. Cleric has tried to illustrate in the most varied ways how the meaning of 'pure awareness' is added by thinking and is not something directly in the given, for ex. here, but of course it has fallen on deaf ears so far.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:27 pm
Woah, that was a lot!

Yeah, if he responds, I am guessing the main issue will be this dichotomy that we have encountered so many times introduced between the logical mind and the 'pure awareness'. It's a very difficult thing to address because the person on the other side feels the pure experiencing/awareness etc. is a phenomenological reality just like sensations, emotions, thoughts, and intention. Even if they have not reached a mystical state via meditation, they have heard many reports from others who have reached these states and describe it as such. Cleric has tried to illustrate in the most varied ways how the meaning of 'pure awareness' is added by thinking and is not something directly in the given, for ex. here, but of course it has fallen on deaf ears so far.

I think there is a chance. Also the essays you shared walk the reader there. And some readers can feel that something crucial is missed in the jump from the initial phenomenological inquiry into pure awareness. And that the gap can't be patched by a hologram of mystical wisdom.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Federica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:40 pm

Woah, that was a lot!

I think there is a chance. Also the essays you shared walk the reader there. And some readers can feel that something crucial is missed in the jump from the initial phenomenological inquiry into pure awareness. And that the gap can't be patched by a hologram of mystical wisdom.
I've posted this as a comment to Part V:

"May I submit the following note to your attention - keeping it brief, since the context is already provided by your discussion with Ashvin on Part X.

Speaking of contemporary idealism, you say: “while Kastrup’s, Velman’s, Taylor’s, and Shani’s idealistic approaches (...) take a step further in the right direction, they still lack a coherent evolutionary perspective and, most importantly, are too coarse-grained theoretical frameworks. By ‘coarse-grained’ I mean that idealism is a still too low-dimensional representation of a multidimensional reality.”

Here one could add that, even more crucially, the problem is that those idealisms are still… a *representation of reality*, that is, a model of reality from a third-person perspective, in which the role of thinking - in its real-time "thinking gestures" - is overlooked. However, as long as phenomenology is used as a partial approach, aiming at adding multidimensionality and evolutionary perspective to produce a new model - yet another model - in which the thinking who is arranging the thoughts jumps back into the blind spot and/or only *nominally* reintegrates itself, as subjective awareness (in fact, nothing other than yet another thought added to the rest of the model by a hidden hand) we are still not getting out of the bind. Am I misinterpreting your elaboration here?"
Federica

Post by Federica »

Federica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:45 pm
Federica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:40 pm

I've posted this as a comment to Part V:

"May I submit the following note to your attention - keeping it brief, since the context is already provided by your discussion with Ashvin on Part X.

Speaking of contemporary idealism, you say: “while Kastrup’s, Velman’s, Taylor’s, and Shani’s idealistic approaches (...) take a step further in the right direction, they still lack a coherent evolutionary perspective and, most importantly, are too coarse-grained theoretical frameworks. By ‘coarse-grained’ I mean that idealism is a still too low-dimensional representation of a multidimensional reality.”

Here one could add that, even more crucially, the problem is that those idealisms are still… a *representation of reality*, that is, a model of reality from a third-person perspective, in which the role of thinking - in its real-time "thinking gestures" - is overlooked. However, as long as phenomenology is used as a partial approach, aiming at adding multidimensionality and evolutionary perspective to produce a new model - yet another model - in which the thinking who is arranging the thoughts jumps back into the blind spot and/or only *nominally* reintegrates itself, as subjective awareness (in fact, nothing other than yet another thought added to the rest of the model by a hidden hand) we are still not getting out of the bind. Am I misinterpreting your elaboration here?"

Here's the reply:

If you mean that my point is that more introspection on how the mind works, and from what it is conditioned, would be desirable, because otherwise we continuously overlook “the role of thinking in its activity,” then yes, that’s for sure. That’s also why I always invite people to complement the 3rd person with the 1st person approach. These also are two perspectives of the “multi-perspectival way of seeing.”

On the other hand, I’m well aware that what I write about “integral cosmologies,” may be seen as yet another extended model and representation of reality as well. Indeed, “cosmologies,” in itself, will never get us out of the circle of the mind to become able to realize how it works, and, thereby, see what stands beyond and behind it. Yet, I believe, the attempt (or should I call it “exercise”) to become aware that the world may be richer than previously believed, eventually looking at it with phenomenological approaches a la Goethe, or mindfulness, or meditative practices, etc., that could help us to get beyond.