Basic exercise

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: Basic exercise

Post by Cleric K »

Federica wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:53 pm As I am continuing reading Steiner's Helsinki lecture series mentioned just above, I am encountering something of relevance to the other thread.
Very valuable quote, Federica! Thank you!

I just want to mention that these 'two things' are not some arbitrary rules. They can be clearly understood through the way we have described our stream of becoming many times, for example as a funnel.

The 'first thing' is the Time that has become Space, everything that has been embedded in the World-State (the riverbed) through our spiritual activity. We can immediately see how devastating it is when we consider our bodily life and ego as an illusion that we must dissociate from. In this way our "I" continually denies its involvement and responsibility for everything that it continually embeds in the World-State.

The 'second thing' is connected with the Time that approaches us from the periphery and in the process becomes more and more concrete, as a wave function that gradually collapses to become concrete reality. Our conscience is nothing else but the dim intuition of our higher being that approaches us from the periphery and continually incarnates. As said many times before, without this conscience, we're like a person who walks backwards and imagines that whatever enters their field of consciousness is their brand new free and original creation. This is precisely what we achieve when we absolutize our Oneness with the Divine and imagine that everything we think, feel and act is our immediate Divine creation with no preparation in our Divine subconsciousness. In other words, we feel ourselves to be the top container of reality. For this reason it has been stated over and over again that we need the humility to feel ourselves in the middle between the unmanifest and the manifest. We need clarity and honesty to accept and recognize everything that consciously or not we have embedded in the World-state (memory) and we need the prayer-like openness for the higher being, as if we seek to accommodate only the purest and best forces that will benefit all (conscience).
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:59 pm Right, well it's all about experimentation and trial-error in this domain. There are practically infinite ways to approach it so we should find a routine which is suited to our individual needs and circumstances, perhaps throwing in some variation at times along the way if it starts to feel too monotonous. I'm very interested to hear how things progress for you with these exercises, which I am sure that I can learn from as well.

Luke's question on the other thread reminds me that I haven't said much about how exercises have gone for me. Partly it's because I don't feel I have made much progress with specific exercises during the last weeks or months. It's more of a very uneven experience. Often I can't completely leave behind everyday matters, and I am unsatisfied with how remotely I am able to connect with feelings. Other times I have been struck by a strong sense of how small, biased, and uncontrolled I am, which makes me acutely aware of a need for prayer, and this continues to be the 'exercise' I am mostly drawn to. This phase has been associated with passing episodes of feeling strongly unwell physically, which is unusual for me, and with no apparent cause. On the other hand something that has improved over the last few weeks is a heightened, more conscious, and uninterrupted sense of my whole plane of existence being interpolated in a spiritual reality. I am able to see the whole spectrum of activity as one united field. Every moment of existence is infused with some awareness of the task, the ideal, the work that is ahead, and my inadequacy to it. Therefore the focus has been moving from how to better execute some exercises, to how to remain consistent, in every moment of life, with the sense of spiritual quest and righteousness. I feel this is more important right now than exercises, to realize that sacrifice - first rightly understand, and then dare to realize the sacrifice that needs to happen in every aspect of life.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:48 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:59 pm Right, well it's all about experimentation and trial-error in this domain. There are practically infinite ways to approach it so we should find a routine which is suited to our individual needs and circumstances, perhaps throwing in some variation at times along the way if it starts to feel too monotonous. I'm very interested to hear how things progress for you with these exercises, which I am sure that I can learn from as well.

Luke's question on the other thread reminds me that I haven't said much about how exercises have gone for me. Partly it's because I don't feel I have made much progress with specific exercises during the last weeks or months. It's more of a very uneven experience. Often I can't completely leave behind everyday matters, and I am unsatisfied with how remotely I am able to connect with feelings. Other times I have been struck by a strong sense of how small, biased, and uncontrolled I am, which makes me acutely aware of a need for prayer, and this continues to be the 'exercise' I am mostly drawn to. This phase has been associated with passing episodes of feeling strongly unwell physically, which is unusual for me, and with no apparent cause. On the other hand something that has improved over the last few weeks is a heightened, more conscious, and uninterrupted sense of my whole plane of existence being interpolated in a spiritual reality. I am able to see the whole spectrum of activity as one united field. Every moment of existence is infused with some awareness of the task, the ideal, the work that is ahead, and my inadequacy to it. Therefore the focus has been moving from how to better execute some exercises, to how to remain consistent, in every moment of life, with the sense of spiritual quest and righteousness. I feel this is more important right now than exercises, to realize that sacrifice - first rightly understand, and then dare to realize the sacrifice that needs to happen in every aspect of life.

Federica,

That you are feeling the need for prayer and acting on it is the best thing. "Pray about everything, worry about nothing." It is truly remarkable how all else begins to naturally fall into place through our prayerful activity, if we persist with our efforts. It is great that you sense the holistic spiritual forces which are constantly permeating our psycho-physical experience. The faithful and trusting disposition is of critical importance.

What sort of physical unwellness do you feel? I mentioned to you before how all sorts of aches, pains, general discomforts began to manifest to my surface consciousness after starting the meditative path. These weren't necessarily caused by the meditation, but revealed by it. I also have experiences of feeling somewhat queasy or generally unwell, which I have discerned as related to various soul states. Usually it manifests when my intellect is running overdrive. I am also more sensitive to certain unhealthy foods.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

For me, rather than a diffuse sense of being unwell linked to a specific exercise, it’s short episodes of feeling really sick with no apparent connection with exercises. One could say, well you just got sick, and maybe I did, but I am noticing the episodes because this is really not me. Like going on vomiting a whole night, well after there’s nothing left to get out, and without having eaten or drunk anything unhealthy or unusual, or having a strong ‘flu’ for a couple of days (I can’t remember when that happened before) and then, a few days later, getting covid and feeling really sick again, for a short while. Also, I now have a soreness or sensitivity in the left Achilles tendon that I did literally nothing to trigger… very strange things of this sort.

But as I said, I am concerned with the extensive question of living in alignment with “the lawful Cosmic order” versus sprinkling an otherwise unchanged everyday with exercises and prayers. In my work for example, when I facilitate a team workshop, or have a one-to-one conversation, where I’m in a position to influence people, when topics like identity, purpose, understanding others and other cultures are discussed, I am thinking about how to make sure that at least I don’t make things spiritually more difficult for them, and for me, and that I don’t accidentally reinforce any materialistic, or other, stumbling blocks. Also, what can I do, even from the standpoint of my very limited perspective, to help my family, my parents in particular. I have tried, though I am not very confident in what I'm doing. When it comes to habits, eating for example, I am now putting more effort in being mindful of what I eat, where it comes from, what it went through. The other day I also read that OMA booklet you quoted before about sexuality. And there’s the question of the very conventional type of physical training I am doing. These are the questions I am directing my intention towards these days - hopefully with a good balance between patience and eagerness - on top of the questions about meditation technique, and its possible side effects. Probably too much of a beginner to have any perception of those. I realize the two aspects, life and exercises, go together and I will probably attain more clarity as I continue with exercises.
In summary, what I am trying to say is, I have passed a point - I guess everyone with philosophical questions has to deal with that - where the need to know has overflown into being and doing, not in a merely conceptual, cordoned-off way, that one can distill in a well written post, but in an integral way that evolves together with the entire life cycle.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:06 am For me, rather than a diffuse sense of being unwell linked to a specific exercise, it’s short episodes of feeling really sick with no apparent connection with exercises. One could say, well you just got sick, and maybe I did, but I am noticing the episodes because this is really not me. Like going on vomiting a whole night, well after there’s nothing left to get out, and without having eaten or drunk anything unhealthy or unusual, or having a strong ‘flu’ for a couple of days (I can’t remember when that happened before) and then, a few days later, getting covid and feeling really sick again, for a short while. Also, I now have a soreness or sensitivity in the left Achilles tendon that I did literally nothing to trigger… very strange things of this sort.

But as I said, I am concerned with the extensive question of living in alignment with “the lawful Cosmic order” versus sprinkling an otherwise unchanged everyday with exercises and prayers. In my work for example, when I facilitate a team workshop, or have a one-to-one conversation, where I’m in a position to influence people, when topics like identity, purpose, understanding others and other cultures are discussed, I am thinking about how to make sure that at least I don’t make things spiritually more difficult for them, and for me, and that I don’t accidentally reinforce any materialistic, or other, stumbling blocks. Also, what can I do, even from the standpoint of my very limited perspective, to help my family, my parents in particular. I have tried, though I am not very confident in what I'm doing. When it comes to habits, eating for example, I am now putting more effort in being mindful of what I eat, where it comes from, what it went through. The other day I also read that OMA booklet you quoted before about sexuality. And there’s the question of the very conventional type of physical training I am doing. These are the questions I am directing my intention towards these days - hopefully with a good balance between patience and eagerness - on top of the questions about meditation technique, and its possible side effects. Probably too much of a beginner to have any perception of those. I realize the two aspects, life and exercises, go together and I will probably attain more clarity as I continue with exercises.
In summary, what I am trying to say is, I have passed a point - I guess everyone with philosophical questions has to deal with that - where the need to know has overflown into being and doing, not in a merely conceptual, cordoned-off way, that one can distill in a well written post, but in an integral way that evolves together with the entire life cycle.
Federica,

Take this only as loose speculation, but what you describe reminds me of this passage which I quoted to Grant on the other thread. The timing of these 'strange' happenings is certainly interesting.

Steiner wrote:Man has to take forward leaps in life, and he has to learn from experience that he has done something in a one-sided way. Now he is born again with the fruits of what he has learnt, but he lacks the possibility of developing himself in such a way that everything can come to expression, and what he has learnt from life can really be carried into effect. A man might for instance have received a certain degree of initiation into the great mysteries of existence in one of his incarnations, and when he is born again these forces that were planted in him want to come to expression. But let us assume it has been impossible for him to develop certain forces which could produce the necessary harmony in the organism. At a certain point in his life it will inevitably happen that what he previously learnt wants to come to expression. But an essential organ is missing. So what happens? An illness has to occur that could have a very, very deep-seated karmic cause. And again part of the organism has to be destroyed and rebuilt afresh. And by means of this rebuilding of the organ the soul senses which are the right forces in the other direction, and it takes this feeling along with it. When this is acquired this way, or even through initiation, it usually happens that the fruits show themselves in that same incarnation. That is, an illness occurs in the course of which the soul experiences what it lacks. And then, for instance, something can take place immediately after the illness that otherwise would not have been achieved. It could be that a person would have been able to reach a certain stage of enlightenment in his previous life, but he could not get through to part of his brain, and he did not develop the strength to break through the resistance. Then this offending organ must inevitably be destroyed, and a severe illness can result. Then comes the rebuilding, whereby the soul becomes aware of the forces necessary to overcome the blockage, and the awaited enlightenment ensues. The process of suffering an illness can definitely be regarded as a sign that something important is to follow.

The direction of your thinking, feeling, and doing is great. I also wrestle with those questions re: how to more spiritually help clients at work or express these spiritual truths to friends and family. Alas, I have made little progress on either front, mostly from lack of trying. Often I feel that I need to be much more strongly rooted in my own spiritual foundation before attempting such tasks. I also have more trust now that the opportunities to do so will naturally reveal themselves if I am persistent with my own individual efforts. Often our best method of 'teaching' others is by example. We simply live out our increasingly transformed be-ing and others we encounter will naturally begin to pick up on the high spiritual ideals we exude.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:08 pm Federica,
Take this only as loose speculation, but what you describe reminds me of this passage which I quoted to Grant on the other thread. The timing of these 'strange' happenings is certainly interesting.
Thanks for the points to ponder, Ashvin. I'm sure there's much to uncover beyond the appearance of physical symptoms.