Other modern idealists?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lauriso

Other modern idealists?

Post by Lauriso »

Greetings!

I find idealism both persuasive and hard to accept. On one hand the intuitions ring true, on the other they have to face the deep conditioning of thinking of the world in material terms. But my purpose behind this post was to ask you for other modern idealists apart from Bernardo.

I apologize if this question has been asked a zillion times, but I couldn't find any threads via the search function.
AshvinP

Re: Other modern idealists?

Post by AshvinP »

Lauriso wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:34 pm Greetings!

I find idealism both persuasive and hard to accept. On one hand the intuitions ring true, on the other they have to face the deep conditioning of thinking of the world in material terms. But my purpose behind this post was to ask you for other modern idealists apart from Bernardo.

I apologize if this question has been asked a zillion times, but I couldn't find any threads via the search function.

Hello Lauriso,

Do you mean idealists who are currently alive and writing? And if so, do you mean idealists who are within analytical philosophical tradition, or, more broadly, people who conceive-experience reality as Idea and write about the implications of such a conception-experience as they understand them.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lauriso

Post by Lauriso »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:52 pm

Hello Lauriso,

Do you mean idealists who are currently alive and writing? And if so, do you mean idealists who are within analytical philosophical tradition, or, more broadly, people who conceive-experience reality as Idea and write about the implications of such a conception-experience as they understand them.
Yes, preferably living authors. And no, not necessarily within the analytical philosophical tradition. Anyone who could offer me a new perspective on the ontological conundrum :).
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lauriso wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:05 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:52 pm

Hello Lauriso,

Yes, preferably living authors. And no, not necessarily within the analytical philosophical tradition. Anyone who could offer me a new perspective on the ontological conundrum :).

In that case, I will refer to you an author who is alive and writing here on this forum. I can guarantee you 3 things - 1) it addresses the 'ontological conundrum' (by which I take it to mean, why is there a seeming world of independent matter/energy, or concrete 'stuff', if all is Idea-Consciousness), 2) it will offer a perspective you haven't encountered before, 3) there are people who can continue to discuss it with you here, including the author himself, which of course is not possible with most other writings.

The only thing is, many of us are used to trying to answer the 'why' or 'how' questions through a series of abstract conceptual models which always leave us puzzled and dissatisfied, yet we continue to pursue the same strategy nevertheless. We rarely if ever think to answer the questions through a phenomenology of cognitive experience. So we should go into the essay with the understanding we are pursuing a phenomenology which always remains connected with first-person experience as it transforms through states of being. There are no abstract assumptions about the 'essence' of things postulated from the outset.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/phenomenology/
Phenomenology is the study of structures of consciousness as experienced from the first-person point of view. The central structure of an experience is its intentionality, its being directed toward something, as it is an experience of or about some object. An experience is directed toward an object by virtue of its content or meaning (which represents the object) together with appropriate enabling conditions.

Phenomenology as a discipline is distinct from but related to other key disciplines in philosophy, such as ontology, epistemology, logic, and ethics. Phenomenology has been practiced in various guises for centuries, but it came into its own in the early 20th century in the works of Husserl, Heidegger, Sartre, Merleau-Ponty and others. Phenomenological issues of intentionality, consciousness, qualia, and first-person perspective have been prominent in recent philosophy of mind.

Essay: The Time-Consciousness Spectrum
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lauriso

Post by Lauriso »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:23 pm In that case, I will refer to you an author who is alive and writing here on this forum.
Thank you! Just sent the essay to my Kindle. In the meantime, I stumbled upon this thread "Which contemporary philosophers are idealists?" https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/qu ... -idealists
Federica

Post by Federica »

Hi Lauriso,
I was wondering whether you have taken any further steps to explore your initial question?
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

David J. Chalmers, "Idealism and the Mind-Body Problem" (he is not technically idealist, but open to idealism)
Miri Albahari
Itay Shani
Jack Pransky
Thomas M. Kelley
Max Velmans
Yujin Nagasawa
Khai Wager
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lauriso wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:35 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:23 pm In that case, I will refer to you an author who is alive and writing here on this forum.
Thank you! Just sent the essay to my Kindle. In the meantime, I stumbled upon this thread "Which contemporary philosophers are idealists?" https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/qu ... -idealists

I also have a follow up question for you or anyone else who knows - how exactly do we send content from the forum onto our Kindle??
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:12 am I also have a follow up question for you or anyone else who knows - how exactly do we send content from the forum onto our Kindle??
I usually copy a text into Word or Wordpad file and then send the file to my Kindle email.
There are other ways too
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
Lauriso

Post by Lauriso »

AshvinP,
I read the essay and I guess kind of agreed to most of it, but didn't find it particularly relevant...

Stranger,
Thanks a lot for the list! And I personally use the official Chrome plugin, you can preview before sending, or send only selected text, pretty handy.